Options

Sub 10:00...

Comments

• Options

As Eng says,  you'll need Shimano HT2 BB for that chainset. SRAM cranks on a stealth use a GXP BB which is different internal fit and far superior to the Shimano.image 

• Options
    Yeah it's ultegra HT2. Sweet.

Good session on the track tonight. 2 miles at 5k pace off 13 minutes then 6x800 off 4 minutes. Very happy with the times. Wouldn't have been keeping up 2 months back but reasonably comfortable tonight. Nearly threw up on the last 800 though!!
  • Options
    What are you coming in at for the 800 BKins? (Presume 4:00 is with rest interval?)
  • Options
    They got faster every time. Started at 2.43. Ended at 2.29. Rest until 4 minutes so about 90 second rest. Same as the 1600.. Around 2 minutes rest for that.
  • Options
    PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

BKins - impressive running (in the duathlon and the intervals). Sounds like you're similar to me - one of the fastest runners at most tris/dus, but losing time on the bike. I've started doing structured sessions on the turbo this winter (not really done any structured cycling training before, just go out and ride), so hopefully that will help.

No IM for me this year - trying to qualify for the World Du at Clumber Park. Unfortunately I can't make the other two qualifiers, so will have to hope it all goes to plan there (no mechanicals etc....).

• Options

Cheers. Yeah its rare that I don't lose places on the bike. Over an olympic distance race its usually about 5-10 minutes off the fastest bike split. Not too bad, but enough to know I won't make it up on the run! It used to be great when I was a slow swimmer and spent the rest of the race overtaking image

Yet to see how my running will translate to an IM run...

• Options

Good sesh. Was it deliberately a progression session? I can just about manage 2:53s.

• Options
    It was deliberate yeah but it wasn't meant to be that fast. The 2 miles should have been slower than 10k and progress from there. We did the 2 miles at 5k pace though. Left us with a lot of hard work image
  • Options
    Just had a swim video analysis session in an endless pool. 5 cameras and a mirrored floor. No hiding there!
  • Options
    BKins wrote (see)
    Just had a swim video analysis session in an endless pool. 5 cameras and a mirrored floor. No hiding there!

Where did you have that done?

• Options
    I went for a bike fit for my new tt bike. All very exciting.

My cleats have been slightly out for 30 years.

I expect my FTP will double now due to this.

Hmmm if Horner can get a contract at his age...
  • Options
    David Graham fitness in Belfast. The mirror is covering an underwater treadmill if you wanted to go for that instead. They do retul fitting in the same place. Just opened in the last few weeks
  • Options

So i had said i was going to try save up for a power meter.. I was thinking stages but over the weekend a smashing set of wheels went up for sale including a powertap hub. Custom built 38mm rims 23mm wide, chris king front hub.. front weighs 660g not sure about the rear but i'm guessing total will be 1,500-1,600.. the wheels retail at £1,100, powertap at £650 and i got the lot less than 1 year old for £780.. now i need to sell 2 sets of wheels to try pay for them! but from tomorrow i'll finally have a power meter!

• Options

That's a stonking deal. Have to say although I'm totally enamoured with my Vectors, I can see the PowerTap as the next best option - with a decent wheel you can train on it and if you want more aero you can throw a disc cover on.

• Options
    cougie wrote (see)
    I went for a bike fit for my new tt bike. All very exciting.
    My cleats have been slightly out for 30 years.

I expect my FTP will double now due to this.

Hmmm if Horner can get a contract at his age...

Sadly, I think Horner had a bit more performance enhancement than a cleat reposition...

More importantly... NEW TT BIKE?! image

• Options

It was a great deal.. the guy called and said he had loads of people looking to take them off him.. luckily i saw them and went for them straight away.

also bought a bike for the gf over the weekend.. not sure what got into us. Her's was a very sweet deal too though.. great condition merida with full fairly new ultegra groupset for £280.. this was after spending a week figuring out how to save money! image 

we need to run a jumble sale maybe..

• Options
    Oh yes Mr Engineer - kind of a treat to myself for sticking with some training for once.

I've never done an IM on a proper tri bike - so looking forward to it now. And with a powertap - ooh must order a wheel cover too.
  • Options
    cougie wrote (see)
    Oh yes Mr Engineer - kind of a treat to myself for sticking with some training for once.

I've never done an IM on a proper tri bike - so looking forward to it now. And with a powertap - ooh must order a wheel cover too.

What wheels are you covering?

• Options

I  am going backwards on the bike

Lots of endurance but seem to have lost lots of speed and power.  I have forgotten how to hurt.....i think i am cranking it and the hr is sitting at 112 instead of 142.

Hmmmm

• Options

Wooo.... 30 minutes steady run on the treadmill with no knee pain! I know it doesnt mean the all clear but its a good start. Gutted it is now February though and have not started any decent training.

Managed to get out on the TT bike the other day though for the first time in 18 months... 3 x ACW laps of RP in 62:04... happy it's not too slow and a good benchmark. Though now where I would like to be for a IM 20 weeks away... (i.e barely trained)

• Options

Tried out the power meter yesterday and it works! not much else to say about it yet..

18x400 on the track yesterday.. supposed to be 6x400 at slower than 10k pace which i stuck to.. then 12x400 at 10k pace which went quickly out of control. Finished off with a 1:07 lap.. if only that was 10k pace!

• Options

Longer intervals for me last night. Not many as my running isn't up to scratch yet but ticked off 5 x 800m at 3:45/km with 200m easy recovery, then 1km at 4:00/km. Good to get some speed in though I was very tight this morning. Need to stretch better, but was distracted last night by my tea on the table as I came in through the door!

• Options

...And I know 800m isn't a long interval for IM, just longer (and a lot slower) than BKinsimage 

• Options

Good reps Eng.

• Options

20 minute power test is done.. 292W. Hope its accurate because its a bit higher than I was expecting!

Yeah good session. I need to start controlling the speed a bit more in my run intervals. I'd imagine there's more gain at threshold pace than at anaerobic. Bonus that I might not suffer so much for the next few days.

• Options

Do you have  a recent 10mi or 25mi TT time Bkins? There is some correlation between TT times and FTP. 

• Options
    Not recent no. I had a bike fit since I last did any TT. 25 miles would be about 63 minutes at a guess. Maybe break an hour with the right tail wind!
  • Options

Bkins - is that .95 of your ave 20 minute power on a turbo?    I'm not a time triallist, only ever done 2 open 25s - but I'd have guessed that ftp would be quicker than 63 minutes on any fastish course so might be worth doing a few - give you some good data and probably an inside the hour time.  

• Options
    No that's the average power over 20 minutes. 278 ftp I think.
  • Options
    4:15 and 2600kcal bike smash fest in the wind today. Huge day, great fun!