Options

Mizuno Reading Half Marathon

Comments

• Options

Hello fellow runners,

I have a spare number for sale if anyone is interested? Hip issues have prevented me from training, second year in a row! So frustrating as I loved this race when i ran in 2012. 

please let me know if you're interested - I paid £34 and have received my number already.

Also have a spare brighton marathon entry that i posted about in a separate thread.

Thanks! image

• Options

Damn I would really like to have done this - just went to register but it says its full - does anyone know if its because the date has gone, or because the the race limit has been reached? (I presume the latter).  I am hoping they may open up a few more spaces, but am I in cloud cookoo land??

• Options

ypu need to get organised and bppk well ahead for events i try to book things at least 6 months ahead and more if poss

• Options

Hi there,

Sadly I won't be able to run this year as I've injured my knee, so looking to sell my place if anyone is looking for one?

Already got the race pack and number, and paid £36.

Let me know if you're interested. 

Thanks,

Caitlin

• Options

I ran most of the course on Sunday (quite a few others seemd to be on the same route actually) as a traingin run and the water levels around Green Park (the start) and all along the road up to the stadium from Reading were worryingly high. Not on the roads yet and I am sure it has time to come down but if we get 2-3 weeks more of this it might be a problem for the organisers.

At least the route is nowhere near the Thames 

...just saying.....and fingers crossed

• Options

Cheers for the update Bedders..

• Options

Thanks Bedders. I was wondering about that Kennet flood meadow along the A33. The short section into the Oracle could be at risk too.

At this precise moment it is pissing down again so I'm beginning to fear the worst.

• Options

Picking up on comments from another thread - I'm sure we could have a plan B and do multiple laps of the Mad Stad image

Imagine that -18000 runners going round the outside of the stadium about 45 times....

• Options

Four laps of Dorney would be nothing in comparison!

It's not as if they can borrow the old route, because the towpath by the Rivermead is under several feet of water.

On the plus side, I suppose, the lack of towpath availability has forced me onto the gradients of Caversham Heights for my runs. I've never done so much hill training in my life and am expecting to be well fit for this race ... if it takes place.

• Options

There's always an up-side Muttley.  You'll be flying round the half-marathon at this rate then!

Canal towpath by me is reducing by the day too - I can just about get to Woolhampton and back now.  Think I'll start training for Swim/Run events....

• Options

Anyone heading to Reading from Oxford? I was hoping to get the train, but the earliest doesn't get in until 9:20. 

• Options

I'm also doing Reading and looking forward to it so much, I hope it doesn't get called off as it's my first and I won't get the opportunity to fit another one in before I do the MK marathon in May. 

Bedders - I'd like to tag along with one of the pace groups, probably yours or your friends group, however where do you all meet? I seem to be in the pink pen right at the back, does this mean I'll be too far behind to join in? 

• Options

I can't do it this year as I'm still not running following a minor car accident in December. I hope for your sake that they sort out the kit tents - sorting you into anticipated finish time may seem logical but it makes bottlenecks and queues inevitable - no fun in last year's conditions. My least favourate part of the course is the stadium horrible surface and too noisy for this rural runner. Best bits - the first climb and the stretch through the campus, drums under the road and the jelly baby station on the descent to the dual carriageway.

• Options

Emjay we will join the start line about 20 mins before the start and spread out front to back. We have flags strapped to our backs and when we start to line up you can't miss us. If you find you are in the wrong colour pen just ask a kind Marshall if you can join us further up and see what they say. So long as 1000 people don't ask the sane question you should be ok. See you there.

• Options
    This is my 9th half or up event but my first time on the Reading Course. Looking forward to the stadium finish. Didn't realise there were pacers so will look to sit in the 1.55 and hope I can keep it up for the 13 miles.
  • Options

The worst bit of Reading for me is the long dual carriageway. Seems to last for ever and I always struggle at this stage. It is a busy race and therefore not great for a pb. Unlike 4 laps of Dorney image Not sure if I can count Dorney as a real half for a pb though image

Not really a fan of the Reading half, but then I have done it several times. Is that because it is local, or because there is something that draws me back...

• Options

If anyone is looking for a last minute place I have one. Please PM me. 

• Options

Anyone else feel totally underprepared for this!?? image

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Why can't you treat dorney as a real half? Its the full distance isn't it?
  • Options
    Yes. But it so flat!!!!
  • Options

a half is a half thats it if you want some hills i suggest that Paul does Lanzarotte Or The Jersey marathon first few miles up hill but the most friendly marathon and very well organised

• Options

Injured so unlikely to be able to do it (despite being sorely tempted as it's such a great event). Happy to sell my space. I live close to Wokingham and can deliver it locally (within reason) to avoid the risk of postage delays if someone can make use of it. Contact me if interested

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

a flat half is exactly what you want when you're in your serious training years.

There's another 20years to mess about doing scenic or hilly ones in later years when you relax a bit image

• Options

Dorney did have a couple of bridges.  To those of us living near a canal towpath, they're positively steep image

• Options
    Hi Martin,

Is your ticket still available to sell? If so I would love to have it!
  • Options

Hello, everyone.  My friend and I are all set for the half marathon.  Just one small problem:  forgot to book parking and now it's all full!  Does anyone know where we can still park near the stadium?  Thanks!

• Options

Innermonologue - I think your best bet would be to park in the town centre and get the free shuttle bus from by the train station to the start, as there is not a lot of parking around the start area sadly

• Options

Last long run today, nice to see the long term forecast is looking good for race day (for what it's worth!!)

• Options
    MattBDynan wrote (see)

Last long run today, nice to see the long term forecast is looking good for race day (for what it's worth!!)

I am reassured that it was SO bad last year that it can only be as bad and cannot be worse. The last three half's I have ran have been in the pouring rain - Wokingham, Reading and Oxford forgotten what it's like to run in decent weather. Fingers crossed for next Sunday.

• Options

@Bedders.. I did Fleet last year (same day as Reading) so anything is an improvement weather wise!