Options

Coast to Coast 2015

2»

Comments

• Options

MTB for me.  Not going for a quick time, obviously.

• Options

Does anybody knows something about the footing?

Is it more mud, more rock?

More for the X-Talons or the rocklites or the Cross lights?

• Options
    Very little mud apart from that last hill and only extra legs will help you stay upright there. Rest of it is rocky trails.
  • Options

everyone getting excited? first time for me and i'm starting to have kittens!!

• Options

Its my first time too.image

Tomorrow we leave good old Germany heading towards Glasgow.

I still don't know how to dress on the bike after the long hot summer.

• Options
    Well its 10 to 14 degrees forecast for the weekend in Scotland - with a chance of rain. I'd suspect thats a bit cooler than Germany has had ! Bring extra kit.

I'd probably be in shorts and knee and armwarmers with a jersey and a gilet over it.

And then a full rainjacket as well as my full leg and top cover in case.

Sadly I'm not racing it this year -but its a great adventure. Savour the views.
  • Options

Hello all

Am giving the 2 day event a go this weekend - 40th birthday present from my good lady image and can't wait.

Have a couple of queries as I get ever increasingly obsessive about my preps so any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

I am hiring a bike (coming from Ireland so cheaper and handier) all the cyclocross bikes had gone from hire company so have hired 29er hard tail. I have chosen to take my own spd pedals - but am now wondering is that the wise choice? extra hassle in transition etc - also - what about the kayak on day 1 - I will be just off the bike and will be in spd shoes - so am sure to get them soaked for day 2??  Is going bare foot in the kayak a problem? or should I just go in my spd shoes? or stick with clip ins and trail shoes all the way??

Kit. New to having to carry kit with me.  Have a new pack sorted and have only been out with it a couple of times so know that is a factor.  Any advice on what is absolutely necessary to carry.?

• Options

I packed some warm stuff, will see how many layers I need.

• Options
    Last time I did it - the kayak on day 1 wasnt a problem in SPD's - its only a short paddle and they help you in and out.

There is a list of mandatory kit you need to carry. The last run is in pretty much the wilderness so I'd really not cut corners on kit if I were you. Everyone will need to carry the same.
  • Options

Thank you Cougie for the reply and all your posts on this forum.

or day 2; would running tights and water proof trousers be necessary?

Also should I bring my winter cycling jacket or my light running rain jacket in my pack

• Options

I'm doing the one day thingi. As I understood you have to carry the mandatory kit all the time, also on the last running leg.

I will unpack my wintercycling jacket, pack my winter cycling trikot and my summer cycling jacket plus the rain gear.

• Options
    For the day two - I've always worn shorts - I don't think wet tights would keep you as warm as just skin. It probably wont be that cold - but it could be wet. And theres a stream crossing - so you do get wet on the legs.

Take waterproof trousers - if you are slowing down or immobile you'll be glad of the protection they give you - but I'd hope not to need them. Keep moving and you'll be warm.

I went with kind of autumn kit being worn and had waterproof walking pants, a full foil survival jacket and a heavier duty rain jacket just in case. But not a full winter jacket.
  • Options

Is the river crossing on the last running leg?

• Options
    Yes it is - and then you have a hill to scale so you will be warm once you get to the top of that. Then its a slippy trek down the hill to the last kayak adventure.
  • Options
    We'll need a slightly longer report than that.... image
  • Options

ok, slightly longer.

Before you read this you need to know some facts. I'm 55 and carry a few extra pounds, this was my first multi day event and it's about 30 years since I did any serious running.  I do cycle a bit.

Race Report

Saturday morning and it’s a fine day if a little cold at 7.30 on Nairn beach. I’ve taken part in a few big city marathons and there is always an excited buzz, this morning all I can sense is fear. A short jog along the shore front then a sharp right turn and follow the single track along the river towards Cawdor Castle 7 miles away. Nothing really exciting about the run stage a few hills and a bit of mud but nothing to be worried about. Arrived at transition 1 and found my cycle cross bike where I had racked it the day before and had already filled my water bottles. Susan arrived and after getting my cycling gear on and having a few snaps taken it was off heading towards Fort Augustus 48 miles along the east side of Loch Ness. An “undulating” course wouldn’t describe it very well, this is the Highlands with mountains, most of the route was on b roads or farm tracks but well surfaced and I managed to keep a steady rhythm going until on the climb out of the valley into Fort Augustus, it was just too steep, the only option was to get off and push. The decent wasn’t much better, with the wind blowing from the left and a 12% slope everyone was getting blown all over the road, survival mode kicked in and I pulled on the brakes to slow down to 40mph, yes, that fast. Racked the bike in transition 2 and jogged along to the start of the kayak stage, everyone got paired up so there was no hanging around and it was straight onto Loch Ness, as far I I know Nessie didn’t make an appearance although some people did fall out their kayaks to look for her, at least that was their excuse. A short jog back through the village to stop the clock and the end of day 1. Susan was waiting with warm clothes and we went into a sandwich shop for a well deserved “snack”

Another 7.30 start on a lovely sunny Sunday morning and after a safety briefing it was off along the side of the locks towards Corpach. This was the start of an off road stage lasting 20 miles, the cycle cross bike was the wrong choice but rules are rules and your not allowed to change your bike. On the first part every single person got off and pushed their bikes up the track, there was no option. Once it levelled out it was back on, then the technical sections started. It was hell. So steep people were falling off or jumping off into bushes and heather on the sides of the single track. It was easier for me to get off and jog down, the tyres couldn’t get any traction and I couldn’t get my weight any further back. This repeated itself for about 18 miles, total time for the first 20 mile section 3hrs 30 mins, everything ached, arms, neck and legs, and I still had another 13 miles to go to Fort William. This was probable my lowest point of the whole two days. Entering the transition area bikes were getting flung down with “I never want to see that again” and other “word” directed at them. I almost had decided to give in, but never underestimate the power of positive thinking and Jaffa Cakes. I changed into my running gear, filled my water bottles and heading for the hills. Susan was waiting for me so I stopped for a chat, as you do. The run/trek followed a lot of the West Highland Way and as I said this is The Highlands so why have a hill when you can have a mountain. I had a plan, if it was flat or downhill I would run, but anything with an incline and I would walk up it. There was more walking than running, it was relentless, then the rain came on for all of 10 mins and the sun appeared and with it the midges decided I was thei

• Options
    Oh man - the report cut off too early - hope its not been lost....

The last run is a killer isnt it ?
  • Options

maybe you can only put up so many words, here a link to the Facebook page I started https://www.facebook.com/coastocoast2015 and yes the last run was a killer. Overall I really enjoyed the weekend, but I do need to diet.

• Options

So, arrived back home after cruising a bit through scotland.

The C2C was a good one. Nice landscape, my favourite weather.

Are there any nice ultras somewhere in scotland which I could run next time?

• Options
    Great report Robert. It's a brilliant race. I'd love to have another go at it.
  • Options

I think I set my sights a bit high, maybe something a bit easier next time.

• Options

Day 2 was definitely far more enjoyable than Day 1, which was a little boring.  Not having been this far north before I was wondering where the mountains were.

The second day still included a fair bit of road cycling but the off road parts were enjoyable and much safer for a novice mountain-biker like me than the descents on Rat Race's 'The Crossing' were in July.  In fact the really steep bits were single track and everyone had to slow due to a few really slow dudes holding everyone else up.

The final trail run was the best part, especially the madcap descent to the final kayak paddle.  Steep, slippery, muddy - you just had to let gravity have its way.  Great fun.

We also had the bonus of a beautiful stop at Loch Lomond on the way back the next day.  The bright warm sunshine definitely helped.