Options

Running a marathon by Heart Rate

13»

Comments

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Tim. Everything I have read suggests that it is your 1 hour race pace or heart rate that is closest to threshold and not what you suggest which looks fairly like a hadd assessment.

For me, when I did my one and only half marathon last year, my race pace ended up being exactly the same as my 88% heart rate runs which ties in with the widely held theory that for most people LT is about 86-88%. Now that might be because I had trained at that intensity but nevertheless I managed to run a half at theoretical threshold so therefore I assume that the theory must be fairly accurate.

I agree with the 30 mins session bit though. Any more than that and it'd be too much like a 10k race.
  • Options
    I think you're right about the Hadd assessment, maybe I've got confused there.
  • Options

Had another long slow run yesterday.

1st 10 miles - 1:48:45 

2nd 10 miles - 1:26:39

Total - 3:15:24

Av bpm - 155

• Options

I feel like there is a such a discrepancy with my 5k ability compared with the longer distances. I think it's because of my weight but it is annoying. I've managed a 5:50 mile once.

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    What was your heart rate for the final 3 miles?

Where you run one section of a run a lot faster than another the average heart rate isn't really that relevant.
  • Options
    NayanNayan ✭✭✭
    I don't think 5k performance is a great predictor of longer race times. It flatters those who have a higher vo2max for example. others are strong over three hours but don't like the idea of 15 minutes of hell in a fast 5k.

10k and lactate threshold work is a better guide for marathon potential.
  • Options

Ye I appreciate that. It's just I noticed a seasoned runner boast their fastest mile 6:56 recently (they're aiming for 3hr30 marathon) and I regularly achieve that. I guess I'm just made for shorter distances currently. 

• Options
    It should work backwards quite well. ie a fast marathoner should still be able to hit a fast 5k. But obviously the training for a marathon needs to be done to convert a fast 5k to a fast marathon.

IME the first 18-20 miles can be knocked out quite quickly but the last 6 are where it really starts hurting and having the technique and form you need for a fast 5k should help. But by then it's the core muscles and upperbody strength you need rather than fast legs.
  • Options

I'm toying with the idea of doing a weekly run which goes something like this:-

Warm-up

20 minutes at 7min miles (increase by 1/2 minutes each fortnight)

Cool down

Plus a long slow run.

• Options
    What is your 5k pace? You might be better with 4x6mins with 90seconds jog recovery between each rep. You really don't need to keep upping the length of time, you need to up the speed by about 5seconds a mile every 4weeks while keeping the overall time the same.

It sounds wrong but it works.
  • Options

6:42 currently (race pace)

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Follow a training plan. Hotch potch plans might work but established plans are usually proven a thousand times over.
  • Options
    RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Interesting comments about HR drifting upwards as you get tired. I don't believe that happens in a marathon, not unless you've been jogging along and/or have incredibly conditioned leg muscles.

My experience is this. When fresh, you can smash a high HR. As the lactic accumulates and the leg muscles take a beating, it comes down. You might be more tired but the HR is falling. It's like a engine revving away. High revs more power than low revs.

Its the main reason why old runners run slower than younger one's. It's that the HR refuses to operate at the high rates no matter what. It's the high rates that shift the blood and oxygen faster.

I used to be able to cruise along at 180bpm without any difficulty. Now it takes a massive amount of work to touch 170bpm. 

Whether or not it means there's less oxygen being shifted, it does mean that it takes longer to shift lactic acid. Once that builds up, it's a longer job to deal with. I guess that's why if I overcook things now, I can't escape so easily from the effects.

🙂

• Options
    As lactate builds HR rises to clear it.
  • Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Ric, I assume that the theory on this is based on running Without crossing the line and creating a shed load of lactate early on. I also guess that the theory comes from monitoring what happens in semi elites over the distance and therefore may not apply to us all, albeit the marco calculator seems to have a fair number of proponents that swear by it.
  • Options

Had another look at the Marathon Marco Calculator this morning to gauge where I think I am. Based on my recent 46:05 10km time I got the below numbers. I know the 1:43:07 HM seems appropriate - As I ran 1:42:21 previously in Berlin (18 months ago). So I'm feeling confident of breaking the 4hr barrier I set myself.

Marathon race pace 5:10 min/km   Target: 3:38:00 h Half-marathon race pace 4:53 min/km   Target: 1:43:07 h 10 km race pace 4:36 min/km   Target: 0:46:02 h 5 km race pace 4:21 min/km   Target: 0:21:47 h 3 km race pace 4:11 min/km   Target: 0:12:33 h

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    So are you setting yourself a target pace or heart rate? I think it will be impossible to do both.

I really do think you are overanalysing the whole thing. As it's your first marathon you haven't got a lot of decent data to work with.

As stated above find a decent training plan, follow it and then see where you are after the race.

I do wonder how guys like Ron Hill, Steve Jones etc managed to go sub 2.10 without any gadgets.
  • Options

"So are you setting yourself a target pace or heart rate? I think it will be impossible to do both." 

I'm going to stick with the Heart Rate I think. I like moving up through the gears throughout a run - I nearly always feel and finish strong; and I think that works well for me.

"I really do think you are overanalysing the whole thing. As it's your first marathon you haven't got a lot of decent data to work with. "

I understand your concern and respect that. It's just in my nature to be very critical and analyse myself. I've always been like that and I'm always determined to know every little detail about each thing I'm doing.

• Options
    VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Over a long run your heart rate will kick up due to overheating and tiredness so if I were you I would do a 2 tier system. I would aim for running by heart rate while ensuring I didn't go over the pace guide given by the calculator. that way you are avoiding pushing too hard early on while the heart rate is settling in.

I agree with Millsy though in that in a first race for any distance you are just going out to learn about the race and yourself.

A target is great but sticking to the plan can be the hard but.
  • Options
    People running 2hr marathons have the luxury of knocking out 20mile training runs in two hours. I've just about covered 13miles by then.

The fast guys in my club are running 10 milers every day, 20 on a Sunday. These are guys running around the 2:30 mark.

I'm sure that trying to run marathons slowly is a lot more technically complex because we don't go out every Sunday and run for 3:30 and our recovery takes so much more. It's a different game entirely.
  • Options
    That said what goes on 'under the hood' can be put aside and just following a plan and doing as many miles as you can fit in and still recover from is the accepted way.
  • Options

Hi All,

Just a quick one. I've been doing 5x 1 mile intervals // all at 7:00 min/mile pace // 3 minute rest. I feel as though I've conquered them and wondering whether I should not cut either my rest time or my pace?

Thanks

• Options
    Up the pace by 5 seconds if they're feeling easy and they're even.
  • Options

I'm finding them comfortable. And they're all even yes. I usually try and go strong on the fifth one. 

1) 7:00

2) 7:00

3) 6:59

4) 6:56

5) 6:41

• Options
    We tend to do 90-120s active recovery. Are you ready to go again after 2mins?

You could try that. I don't usually have much left in the tank for the final interval.
  • Options

I think 150s would be more comfortable. I'll take tackle the speed by 5-10s and take 30s off recovery I think next week and see how I fair.

• Options
    Bit late now - but how did the marathon go Kenton ? If you can remember that far back !