Comments

• Options

What? What?  They're yellow

• Options

And they match my basket, bell and streamers

• Options

....I taught her all she knows 

• Options

One of the funniest things I saw at Bala last year was a line of bikes with Gels taped to the top tube and right in the middle was a bike with two banana's taped to the top tube, classimage

• Options

didn't Barlos tape a slice of Pizza to his bike once? image

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Hee-hee Effing.

First ride out yesterday in glorious sunshine on the bike.  Used apricots as fuel + home-made isotonic.  Thinking of shot blocks for the tri and about to buy some.  Does anyone else use these?  I previously used SIS Go-Gels and get on fine with them but don't like the artificial sweeteners.

• Options
    Magna Carter wrote (see)

didn't Barlos tape a slice of Pizza to his bike once? image

He has taken multitude of sweet and savoury products out on an IM bike gaffer-taped to the handlebars, including (but not limited to) choc chip muffin (Lanza), Fudge and Rock (Wales - the first time), Pizza (Nice), Cornish Pasty (Wales - the second time).  

I'm sure if they did a suitable handlebar mounted box, he would take a MaccaD AND strawberry milkshake out with him too image

• Options
    Schmunkee - The List Fairy wrote (see)

I'm sure if they did a suitable handlebar mounted box, he would take a MaccaD AND strawberry milkshake out with him too image

Now that is an idea

• Options

^^ I'm sure that covers all the essential food groups no ? imageimage

• Options

Red Squirrel - I use Cliff Bloks as I was sick of getting gels in my eyes & ears as I opened them on the bike. But do mix them with real food such as flapjack, mini pork pies & bananas 

• Options

second the mini pork pies... I had a couple in my bento bag last time, and at 70 miles on the bike, they tasted better than anything I have ever eaten before!

lets be honest.... its all prep for an Ironman on my 100th birthday
  • Options

Red Stripe - You've just listed my BF's 3 favourite tri fuelling foods!  image  That's good to know about the pies at 70 miles.  As someone who's only recently returned to meat after a long gap, pork pies are still very exciting.

• Options

After no food at ironman UK until special needs bag at 82 miles I then stood on side of the road and scoffed a pork pie, cheese & onion pasty & bag of salt & vinegar crisps. Well it was Sunday lunch after all ! 

• Options
    PapermanPaperman ✭✭✭

Mini pork pies might have to happen this year, as something that isn't sweet would have been very nice at that point last year. Although I don't know how they take rain. By the second time I hit the pirate feed station last year, the bento box was half full of water, my jelly babies had drowned, and the flapjack was a sludge that prevented me from seeing whether I had any gels left underneath or not.

Someone on the pirate station took the logical pirate approach to this, which was to pile three more gels on top of everything else and worry about it later. And to give me a chocolate. Which they had to unwrap for me, as my hands didn't work. Very grateful!

• Options

At Outlaw last year I was miserable from around mile 60. Properly miserable, ready to sack it all off and head back to transition and throw my bike in the lake. Some loony on a BMX then passed me, so I had words with myself and got round to the Pirate feed station. Here I devoured a pork pie. It had magical qualities, it lifted my spirits instantly and immensely. Always carry some form of baked pastry and meat* based product.

* or a pork pie

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

Just over 2 months until the half now, really looking forward to it but a bit nervous as well, going to get to bakewell and back tomorrow morning for a bit of longer ride. When do you get information about the day? 

• Options
    SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭
    Hey all, mind if I pop in for the ride? Back to Outlaw again this year so grateful for a bit of banter and build up....
  • Options

Anyone heading out on the famil ride next week? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the journey, or if I should just head out for 50m around home. 

This weekend I have finally found the time to bake myself training snacks for the week - I've been bonking mid-day and eating whatever available (chocolate) to survive. 

• Options
    This week having a pull back, done 3 weeks of steady and progressive training. However doing the quattro sportive Sunday probably the 86 miles looking forward to the pork pies already.
  • Options

Had an unplanned easy week due to sore throat headache and general lurgy aches. 

Then storm Kate blew me off a sportive today. 

Total this week an Easter Sunday swim and 1.5 horse on turbo. 

Off to Mallorca next weekend for some miles in the sunshine on the bike 

• Options

A question about day-to-day general fitness and where it fits in (if at all) to training.  

I cycle to work, the shops and friends' houses as I don't have a car.  None of my routes are flat and I use an old MTB with panniers for my 3.5 mile commute and general getting around, shopping etc.  If I'm not using the bike, I walk to work and sometimes run home if it's in my training schedule, although I prefer to run with training partner generally.

This extra stuff might get exhausting as my training ramps up, but using the bus for work (and especially to return home) is not an option, as they are very unreliable.

Do I need to take into account these journeys with my training?  I had a week where I was very tired as we'd done a fair bit of cycling, taking advantage of the weather, and the short hilly journeys to work and back were making my quads ache for the best part of that week.

• Options

*Waits for HTFU comments* image

• Options

Run or even walk to work occasionally then. 

• Options

I do sometimes walk and run home a couple of times a week and will start arranging to meet BF on the Downs to run together on my way home from work.  I'm getting very bored of the walk in and back and it's quite time-consuming.  Damn you Bristol 'public' transport.

I presume tho' that the bike commuting is junk miles ... ?

• Options
    Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

How vital is a reccy of the course?

Think I might try and have one although I'm rubbish at following directions at the best of times.

• Options

I don't think any time spent on the bike is junk miles and only professionals have the luxury of training hard and lying down for the rest of the day. As long as it's a commute and you're not thrashing it either way I don't see the harm and it can only add to your endurance.

• Options

OK - thanks Bear.  

• Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Hi Red Squirrel, one of our fellow athletes at the club in Bristol only has a bike and commutes two and from work on it everyday as well as it being his preferred mode of transport to go into town, visit friends etc.  He continued to use the bike during training for an iron distance event and didn't often even fold it into his training (only on one morning a week as I recall).  I'm not sure what his MO was, probably to take it easy during the commutes so as not to disrupt his training.  Others commonly integrate their commutes into their training (I think FlatFooted, Melli and Plum from the forums have done this very well.)  Things to think about might be - 1) can you run into work and add on if necessary to make it a suitable time/distance run to be useful training for you?  You know how fast you run to ensure you are on time for work.  Then take public transport home again, when you are less concerned about time. You need a shower at work for that, obvs. 2) Can you leave your bike at work?  If yes, you can bike to work (as a commute or maybe making sure that you've done a suitable training distance on the way there) and then leave your bike there whilst you run home.  The following day you can walk or run in and bike home (taking a diversion if you want to make it a training ride.)

Personally, I think there's a lot to be said for integrating training and commuting when there are only 24 hours in a day and you are able to kill two birds with one stone.  Anything is possible with sufficient advance planning.

• Options
    Simo429 wrote (see)

How vital is a reccy of the course?

Think I might try and have one although I'm rubbish at following directions at the best of times.

Not at all. I'd never seen any part of it 'till the event.