Thursday 19th February

Comments

• Options
    Morning all,

Tonight: 8 miles marathon pace
    Why: really need to practice it
    Last hard: Tuesday's hills
    Last rest: Saturday

Hmmm, this is looking like a pretty boring post... too much work to do to chat sorry!

Have a good day everyone
  • Options
    Hi everyone

I had a good 13 miler last night, although because I did it after work (8pm - 9:30pm), and perhaps because I pushed it slightly in the latter stages, I found it very difficult to get to sleep. Does anyone else ever have this problem?

What: Haven't decided - either tempo run (20mins LT, 10min slow, 20mins LT) or 8 miles slow. Whichever I don't do tonight I'll do tomorrow.

Why: Schedule requires both in next two days.

Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Friday 6 Feb

Hope everyone has a good day's training.
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    HuwJ: You've defined a tempo run in terms of alternate pace between LT and slow. Most interesting!
  • Options
    Morning all. Is it my imagination or is this a bit of a slack day on the training thread?

LizzyB - allergic to beer? *shudder* - the stuff of nightmares!

Jj - if you're having trouble throwing in faster intervals, try throwing in some slower ones instead. Bingo - fartlek!

Me, well, since you ask, I shall be doing what has evolved into a regular Thursday sesh, which is 2 x 20min sets of hard sprint(ish) intervals on the tready (evil gym has a time limit), then do four or five miles outside briskly while still shattered. Good, hard sesh to build up a thirst for the pub.

Have fun.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Off for another lunch-time run down by the river. It makes for a perfect break from the office so is one of my favourite runs. It is a bit longer than my back-to-mileage plan dictates but should be ok.

What: 50 mins or so along the river near Hammersmith, London.
    Why: mileage build-up BT type malarkey

Have a good one all,

Mark
  • Options
    nrg-b - strictly speaking it's what "Daniels Running Formula" terms "cruise intervals" - instead of doing a tempo run of, say, 1/2 an hour, you do shorter bouts, but for a longer total time. Supposed to bring more benefit while being less stressful to the body. This week is an easy one - last week it was 20mins LT, 3mins slow, 20mins LT, 3 mins slow, 10mins LT. Next week it's 8x6min LT with 30sec rests. Plus he gives you a way of working out LT pace with reference to VO2max, calculated according to your most recent race, so it should be reasonably accurate.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Didn't get time to post yesterday.
    Managed a 'BR type' track session 3 x 5000m (200rec) last night. HR 150-155bpm (HRmax minus 35-40). Pace slowed by 2 seconds a lap on the last rep - to be expected at this stage....but should improve in the next month or so (then I can move up to 155-160bpm).
    :o)

What: a couple of easy 10 milers today
    Why: aerobic base building
    Last hard: 30th Nov
    Last rest: 18 days

Have a good one
  • Options
    afternoon (just)

LizzyB - allergic to bottled beer - OMG! Even the German ones with their famed "purity law" of 1617 (or whenever it was)? Hope you're OK enough to run today.

sunny & chilly again here

feeling a bit less stiff today, but I'm b*gg*r*d if I can get any of these hip stretches to work for me.

what: haven't decided yet. Something short and on the brisk side of moderate is favourite
    why: never sure what to do on this day - day after a recovery run, but tend to have key session (whatever form that may take) on Friday, so don't want to take too much out of myself.

last hard day: Tue
    last rest day: Mon
  • Options
    Huw - another Daniels fan! Have you ever tried one of his TLT runs (long run with tempo intervals at start and finish). I keep meaning to, but they look pretty tough...
  • Options
    Hi!

Back on track here - managed to get out last night for my planned tempo run and still be back in time for personal training.

What: 10km (6 miles) easy
    Why: Two hard sessions yesterday
    Last hard: Yesterday
    Last rest: Monday
  • Options
    Venom - I am planning to do one on March 28th, so I'll let you know how it goes! I must admit I have tended to do long runs instead for the most part, but I'm thinking it might be a good idea to do my longest run 4 weeks out, then a TLT three weeks out. I agree with you, they look tough, but should be only 2:10 - 2:15 of running, so probably not as tough as a 24 miler...
  • Options
    Afternoon All

Lots of good training going on today

What: 25 miles cycle am, 10k Club Handicap race pm
    Why: XC race this sunday followed by 20 mile race, H/M, H/M, 21 mile race on following weeks so starting to taper and do a bit more cycling

Have a good day everybody
  • Options
    Hello all

what: 12 miles in cluding 10 mile 'time trial' done

why: schedule says so

Although I'm happy with my overall time I am miffed that I fell into the starting way too fast trap and then suffered throughout the run. Need to make sure this doesn't happen on my HM in April!

Tis a bit chilly yet sunny i parts so wrap up a bit and you wont come home with bright red hands like me:(

Catch you later
    tiaxx
  • Options
    (Swerve - I only post on slack days, other people's slacks are my hards)
  • Options
    Really cold and windy out today and the only clean dry clothes were shorts! ahhhhh, I came home with bright red legs that were actually numb!

What: 9 miles steady
    Why: hoping for a plus 30 mile week so I can slack off next week when I come to London!

Chaos, how is the running everday going?

• Options
    OVER THE MOON! Well, at least in the clouds!

Planned 9 x 40sec hill sprints for last night just didn't happen. Kids late to bed, tea to cook & eat, feeling generally tired, wasted time on the web.

So had an early bed instead.

Today, made up for it in spades.
    Decided not to do the hill session, but to try for an all out assault on my 6.5 mile regular circuit pb. Gorgeous day - vest 'n shorts, and just went for it full on from the front door. I'd been grumbling that I hadn't got within a minute of my previous time in 6 months. Today I knocked another minute OFF my pb. Now at 44:10, and under the magic 45 minute mark.

As I don't do many (any) 10k races, I use this as a marker - its about 42:07.

• Options
    Hmmm, 'cruise intervals' sound so inviting. Serene, leisurely,....

What: rest
    Why: injured.

calf is pain free even with pretty deep prodding today, and plenty of rehab work to keep me busy, so not feeling too glum yet.

Keep up the miracles everyone.
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Lizzy..the only time I become allergic to beer is 2 days before FLM. The allergy mysteriously disappears on Sunday afternoon!

What..25 mile bike ride at speed. Angelis..do you know what that is equivalent to in running miles?

Why..trying to stay fit by cross training, left lower leg not happy with itself at present.

Glad to hear you are on the mend FG, hope I am not far behind you.

Well done Blisters, racing on your own takes some self discipline!
  • Options
    Excuse me for a moment - I have a point of order to make....

Now, I may be a warm blooded male, and I, like the next man, enjoy other hobbies and recreational pastimes apart from running, but what's this about me being labelled as an Orgasm Addict Monique??

(Have we met before?...has the box of Kleenex managed to log in to my PC at home and decided to spill the beans..tremble...)

• Options
    What: Nothing!
    Why: Absolutely exhausted, otherwise would be doing 11 miles
    Last hard: Tuesday
    Last rest: Monday

Feeling bad about myself and fishing for pity!
  • Options
    Wardi - I work on 3 bike miles = 1 mile run

Cycling as cross training certainly helps keep you fit with a lot less strain on knees and calfs.
  • Options
    Bryan

By Royle Decree....take the day off, but only if you promise to have an early night.
    You could even have 2 days off if you want, but you've then got to promise to put in a stormer of a session!

:-)
  • Options
    Rodders-I thought all males were labelled with that.
  • Options
    Afternoon all

What: 6 miles gentle done, 55 minutes at average hr of 67.5 per cent.
    Why: just putting in some miles.

Have a good one everyone.
  • Options
    ChaosChaos ✭✭✭
    Hi Patouka, I must confess to the odd non-running day so it's been more like 5.5 days per week (though the non-running days have usually had something strenuous like mountain-biking or windsurfing or working 8-8). However taking my time over it and doing the physio exercises seems to have paid off with no recurrence of the ankle sprain.

I'll bore you with it all at the Social next week!
  • Options
    Just me and you I think Matt. Just to add to the purpose of the thread...

What: Threshold @ 85% (3 x 10mins + 2 mins recov')
    Why: Becasue it's Threshold night and Keith Anderson told me to do it.
  • Options
    Evening all,

What: 10 km gentle with leg still feeling a bit sore so taking it as easy as possible and seeing physio yet again tommorrow. But that is at least 3 days on the tro out without leg seizing up completely.

Simon
  • Options
    Evening all

What; not sure yet; should be 4x1600m but I need to do my long run (18) tomorrow so I'll see what coach says.
    Why; busy weekend ahead (including likely v late night Saturaday) so can't fit long run in.
    Last hard; Sunday
    Last rest; Monday

Very stiff across upper back today as a result of yesterday's yoga session. Obviously stretched a lot of long dormant muscles.
  • Options
    Evening........

What: 5 miles easy thru the woods
    Why: recovery from 12 miler last night combined with taper for "2 PBs in 3 days" attempt over the weekend :o)
    Last hard: Tues
    Last rest: 3 days

Keep it up everyone!

• Options
    what: club night - easy 6 I bet.
    why: so I have better chance of finishing ahead of BR & BT and many others at National XC on Sat

(yes - #52 Pig Squadron has just taken off)

Glancing at a couple of the other posts above I am looking forward to catching up on todays posts when I get back

Andy