Options

Sunday 7 March 2004

Comments

• Options
    Oooops.

The post from SusieBee at the bottom of the last page is actually from me - I'd forgotten my girlfriend was still logged in! Clearly the exertions this morning has affected my brain (I'm making her take me out for a celebratory dinner now though!)
  • Options
    I knew that this week was going to be a case of ignoring the training plan and just doing what I could, when I could.

Monday..Hilly training route 12 miles, 1:29 PB.
    Tue 5m
    Wed 6m
    Th rest
    Fri rest
    Sat "rest"
    Today
    I wanted to put in an LSD of 16-18 miles. But I just never got the slot to do it.
    I did manage to get enough time to go out for another bash round the hilly 12 miles. This time I managed 1:27:30 by pushing hard on the downs as well as the ups. So 2xPBs in the week.

I'm looking forward to Bath half and smashing the 1:30 barrier.

Brilliant racing from all those who have posted above, and LLL who debuted at Glos 20 in a screamingly quick time.
  • Options
    Well done M on completing your 1st 20 miler and in pain.

Venom / Speedie and Wardi congratulations on your pb's

Hilly well done on your race which again sounded tough for you.

Also well done to everybody running and racing today, there has certainly been some stirring efforts.

What: 13.1 miles H/M am, 10 miles easy pm
    Why: Race followed by recovery run

Race was poor in 1.38 time but had problems with foot and calf then stomach cramps, certainly will not race in Nike shoes again.

Have a good day everybody
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Bad luck BT, but as you say the main aim is a couple of weeks away and I've no doubt you'll be rewarded there for all your hard training!

Lizzy-hope the knee gets better soon!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done Blisters! I'm sure you get that sub 1.30!

Angelis-bad luck, hope calf and foot is ok! I can empathise with stomach cramps as I had some pretty nasty ones myself today!
  • Options
    Speedie & Longlegs, great race on a tough course!

Stickless, glad your back & racing :-)

URR, another toughie, [I did this one many years ago!]

Donaldo, shame you didn't go sub 60!

MC, your a one to try anything :-)

hilly, a good result, & a hard way to achive a nice prize!

venom, well done on that time, you have nothing to loose at Richmond [raced that a long time ago too!]

Wardi, good time

Rodders2, getting faster

M, great run as Thanet's not supposed to be the best 20 miler [never done it myself!]

• Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    Well done folks with your races some great performances today - I'm lazy so I've copied this from the Thanet thread.

As "the M." said, I did Thanet (also my first 20 - jumped straight from half to marathon last year) in 3.21.48 ish - had a great time mainly due to the effort of the marshalls and organisers - really top people out there today - will do this one again.

Niggle in my foot when going slow and it moved to my knee when i sped up a bit, which tells me something is probably going wrong in the gait department - think i should see a sports injury bod sharpish...
    Overcame niggle to finish well despite stuggling badly from 17 onwards - overall much better performance than my last two races... positive mental attitude out for zilla today.

Legs are rubbed raw and nips need replacement - ouch - other than being accused by my dear girlfriend of walking like a demented duck, i'm feeling ok.

cheery zilla
  • Options
    Bad luck BT and Angelis, fast times but obviously not what you'd hoped for.

Well done M.! Another gutsy performer.
    Good run Blisters, looks like you're on target for that Half mara PB

Lizzy, rest that knee. Doesn't the snowboarding aggravate it?
  • Options

BT, I'm glad that you're not a vet ! .
    One of my training partners (Ian Lambert) was 9th at Regents Pk 36:59 (first vet)

I'll bounce back at Bath ...Hopefully?
  • Options
    Sub 60 I'll save for a flatter course! :D

Official results are up - I was 11th - even better!
  • Options
    MC, a week is a long time in this sport!

Barbara, thanks at least I'm heathly & feel quite recoverd!
    Hope your running soon :-)

Angelis, your times will come I'm sure.
  • Options
    Excellent Result BT.

I am looking forward to breaking the Sub 40 Minute 10K Barrier.
  • Options
    Well done M on completing your 1st 20 miler
    Venom , Speedie and Wardi congratulations on your pb's

Hilly well done on your race which again sounded tough for you but you showed what you are made of;-)Glad the socks made the grade!

Angelis -nice to meet you and sorry things did not go according to plan for you...I know the feeling!

Very congested start ran on pavement for 1st 3 miles trying to pass people who were slow,Stomach cramps at mile 7 which I put down to sports drink not one I have used before ,all going fine 8 minute miles well in front of training partner then to his suprise I had slowed down and he caught me(mile 12)..knees went from me ITBS at mile 12 and really struggled and slowed down did 1.49 when I know I could have done 1.45 so very very disapointed by my performance and training partner beat me by 30 secs when I know I was stronger all the way through race!!!

I was so cold I could not stop shaking and spilt all of my coffee I just could not steady my hands!

Massage tomorrow for my legs hamstrings played up also calves then back to physio we think pelvis is out of sinc since I lifted something heavy in work 2 weeks ago...lesson learn don't be so impatient let employee do it!!!

Onwards and upwards for FLM 6 weeks to up my training

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Welsh Poppy nice to meet you at last along with snails pace, cdk and others at the hotel afterwards.
  • Options
    Ratcatcher - got your mail, there is so much I can tell you! You seem to be planning exactly the same sort of holiday as I would if I was coming to Iceland... I'll form some sort of semi-literate reply over the next couple of days...
  • Options
    WP, sorry things didn't go to plan, another one with stomach cramp. Still a good time on top of all the hard training you've been doing. Hope the aches and pains can be sorted quickly.
  • Options
    Oh that's a tough call WP. Mind you, I see that you gritted through it again. Next time out everything will just click and 5 minutes will magically slice off the PB. I promise.

Soo many people to congratulate...where do I start?
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Good Evening All,

Here's my race report of Reading HM - my second HM. Most of the points about the race (organisation etc etc) have already been made on the Reading thread so all I'll add is that I'm glad we stayed at the Holiday Inn hotel. The hotel rooms and location were superb - within walking distance of both start and finish. They even allowed us to check out later then normal at 4PM. Shame about the bar/restaurant service though!

You may recall, I ran my first ever HM last Sunday at Roding Valley in 1:36. I was told Reading is fast so my real expectation was 1:33.

I was a bag of nerves today. Many thanks to Ratbag for giving me loads of brotherly advice. RB introduced me to Angelis and who kindly took me under his wing. And so I started with Angelis on the "1:30" start line.

After a slight delay we began. Nerves
    soon went away and after the first few miles I lost Angelis. I decided to speed up and just carried on. The HRM monitor strap kept sliding down and it showed 233bpm. I often had to yank it around my chest to show the proper value. Initially, it was mostly sub-160 and then slowly rose through the race to peak around 165-170. I didn't slow to take any water and by Mile10(??) I was suffering. Luckily, there was one more water station left, I grabbed a bottle and immediately felt much better. The Finish Line took ages to come by and as we entered the Stadium the roar from the crowd caused such a surge of adrenalin that I sprinted past the few runners ahead of me, just in time for my wife and kids to see me finish......which was nice ;-)

So times were:
    Official time: 1:27:53
    Chip time: 1:27:05
    Garmin Forerunner time: 1:26:56
    Distance as per GF: 13.44 miles
    Pace as per GF: 6:28/mile.
    Official Posn: 333 out of 7438 runners.

Last night Hippo caught me unawares and I ended up announcing that I'd buy drinks for all if I ran sub-1:30. My wallet is very light now. Apologies if I missed anyone.

My lessons learnt were:
    - drink water during the race. I could have finished a good 2-3 mins quicker in the last 3 miles.
    - do not over eat nor eat too late the night before.
    - do not run two fast HMs within seven days of each other.

Overall, I'm well-pleased with the time. I used Pose to good effect, calves, hamstrings and ankles are in excellent condition. Given that I haven't done any anaerobic sharpening work (eg tempo, hill-work, fartleks), Base Training on its own has met what's required for the endurance.

In the short term, am pacing Spitfire at Brentwood next Sunday (yes, three HM's in a row!) for a completion time of 2:10-2:20. A 4hr funday run at FLM in April.

Then months of Base Training until the next challenge which will be Abingdon.

Angelis: You are one extra-ordinary dude!!

All the best,

nrg-b.

• Options
    ok here we go!

Pammie well done on your run today, look as if things are going well, good luck for this weekend!

Donaldo cracking fast run, well done and great positioning!

MC sorry to hear about your race today, hopr you recover quickly and back on the roads asap!

Hilly another truly amazing run by you, ok its not what you wanted but sticking it out is a BIG well done in my book!

Venom, wow you are flying at the moment, sounds as if you had a great race, hoping calf sorts its self for the big day!

Wardi well done on a great PB, 50 seconds is a bloody good chunk to take off!

Rodders2 another storming run today, well done!

M a good solid run today, remeber its a long distance so well done on your achievments!

BT still a good run, but I know how frustraing it can be when things dont go to plan, I to today was wary of the wet surface and at the last moment I chnaged from my flats into my Skylons, just felt better while doing my warm up, still a good time in my book, hope to do this event myself!

LizzyB sorry to hear about the injury, hope its not too serious!

Well done Godzilla today, hope you sort out your injury!

Angelis sorry it didnt go to plan today, but you still went out and done 10 miles even though you had a foot and calf problems after your half marathon, maybe a rest for a couple of days will do some good, cant remember your last post where you said a rest day!!!

Hope the race went well today MikeS, gotta work so will read it tomorrow!

WELL DONE TO ALL TODAY!!!

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Wow nrg-b

Fantastic time

Wait til everything goes right and you'll do a super fast time, not that sub 1:30 isn't fast.
  • Options
    Angelis - you are hardcore!!

BT, no worries, like you say the main event is in 2 weeks time. I've never raced well in Tiger Paws either. Save them for track work now.

Rodders - a good encouraging run.

NRG,what can I say? Amazing progress. Sub 1:20 by the end of the year?
  • Options
    3-hour-run completed today on course for Paris marathon. Swim training during the week was 1800m Monday, 2100m Tuesday and 1500m Thursday, each time with an hour run before swimming.
    Intention is to bump up bike training after the Paris marathon in preparation for Ironman distance tri in July.
  • Options
    illy - this has been a big weekend for Matt runningwise. Hopefully he'll now have some confidence in his ability - hitherto he's had next to none.

Looks like another great set of Sunday performances.

Think Venom's has to be the performance of the day so far - that's a massive PB. And that's a great run as well Rodders.
    Congratulations to Speedie & Longlegs for your PBs on what sounds like a difficult course.
    An even more difficult course for Donaldo - well done on nearly breaking the hour mark.
    A V45 PB from Wardi - as a fellow V45 I have to salute that!
    Hilly's has to be the gutsiest effort - I've often felt like sh*t in the course of a race - but I don't think I've ever felt like that.
    Well done URR and Stickless also.

..and now I've finished writing, there's lots more appeared on the thread - will take that in in a moment....
  • Options
    Speedie last rest day was back in December 2003
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    nrg-b-excellent racing and pb! You obviously have quite a good natural talent seeing as you've only ever run 1 other half!

WP-bad luck, but still a very respectable time! Remember you aim is FLM and after it's done you may well find pb's coming your way! Hope your aches clear soon!
  • Options
    Superb run Nrg-b! Trust Hippo to get a drink out of you!
  • Options
    Meanwhile, here's my effort from Farndon.....I've overdone it for length as usual I'm afraid....

Arrived in plenty of time to find the venue at the Sports & Social club at the southern end of the village just by the A534. Nice & sunny, but a chilly wind was strengthening from the N or NW.
    Checked the course map to find it was an out-and-backer all along the one road starting the other side of the A534 and running S to Shocklach. Errrr...so that means into the wind coming back then. Grrreat.
    Warmed up & did a few strides along the course to discover a) a 6 mile marker (what? - a 10K race with MILE markers?) b) the start was a good 250m further down the road than the finish. So, we'll cover more ground into the wind than with it. Oh well, I wasn't looking for a PB anyway.....
    Away we went in the sunshine - tried to stay relaxed & not push too hard. Fairly soon found myself on my own in a position somewhere around the 20s.
    1 mile in 5:49. Toooo fast - but too late to try to ease back I think. On we go & hope for the best....
    The long and winding road/That leads me to....errrrm....Shocklach....eventually....
    2 miles in 11:53 (6:04). Feeling OK. Still isolated. Bit worried - don't want to be in this position once we turn back into the wind.
    3 miles in 17:56 (6:03). The first runners to pass the turn point have started to come by now. Don't feel too bad, but still isolated.

continued...
  • Options
    Turning point at the outskirts of Shocklach in 18:20. Have counted and know I'm 22nd. Round into the wind - suddenly it's a different race. Eyes start watering madly. The choice seems to be between staying near the crown of the road and getting hit by the full force of the wind, or trying to get a bit of shelter close to the hedge at the roadside - and cope with the camber. Meanwhile, 21st is a good 30m or more ahead.....
    4 miles in 24:11 (6:15). I'm making progress - even though I've slowed down, the runners ahead have slowed more. Just past 4 miles, I come in on the back of a group of 3. Tailgate for a short while, decide the pace is too slow, & move up to the next couple. They're too slow to tailgate as well. Drop them and surge up to the next guy. Sit in behind him. A stitch starts to threaten. Carry on sitting in.
    5 miles in 30:18 (6:07 - surely not - must be a short one). Don't dare look round, but the sound of hooves suggest I've dragged some company along with me. An orange Ellesmere Port vest comes past & takes it up, so I sit in just behind him. Decide it's going to be all tactics from here on in - the next man up the field is about 80m ahead - can't see myself catching him. My HRM bleeps & tells me I've hit 182 for the first time since Chester Zoo last October. And the wind began to howl .... but no sign of approaching horsemen, just a white van :-)
    The 6 mile marker in sight and Ellesmere Port vest weakens - decide to make my move and kick away. 6 miles in 36:50 (6:32 - thought that last one was short). Am very surprised to find there's virtually no challenge. Keep pushing in order to try to break 38:00 - my watch says 37:59.6 when I stop it, but the guy with the watch calls out "zero" as I pass - b*gger.
    So, 15th in 38:00. Glad to change out of my gear & get into the warm as a nasty squall hits those still out on the course. In the sports club, was most impressed with the speed with which the results were processed - the whole lot was there on a laptop within 10-15 mins of the last runner (165th) finishing in about 67 mins.
    No chance of a V45 prize alas - 5th in my age group. Still, fairly pleased with my performance - surprised how strong I felt second half, having largely run like a donkey since Helsby, and think I got it just about right tactically. Could have risked all from a mile out and maybe run 15 seconds faster if it had come off - but would still have been 15th.
    This was a nice flat course with real PB potential on a calm day. Maybe a bit boring though, with hedges blocking the view most of the way. Organisation in general was excellent it must be said.
    So, a good day out, and looking forward to the first Seaside Run of the year next Sunday....and to improving further when I get down to a proper speedwork programme :-)))
  • Options
    Excellent run and race report Mike S. Congrats to Matt as well, hope he continues to enjoy it.
  • Options
    ill read back later-a flick through suggests weve again got some fantastic perforamnces

Did reading half
    probably a pb by 5 minutes

had diarrhoea all week, all last night, but i was ok during the race

back to the loos peeps---maybe i should be plopping hippo

31 miles this week
    oh, and i ran ALL of the half
    no walking
    amazing for me