Options

Sunday 7 March 2004

Morning,

Just got in from ten-pin bowling - it is open until 1am and from 10pm is just a fiver for unlimited play - almost as good a bargain as one of BR's Track Sessions ;o)

Can't wait any longer to try my DS9's so tomorrow will include an easy 3miler just to test the legs & trainers. Was planned for Tuesday, but feel it should be ok, so posting my intention now!

Once again good luck all racers today. Happy training/recovery everyone else

Andy

Comments

• Options
    Morning all

Recovering from yesterdays run up Jebel Hafeet a 900M climb over 11Km which we ran in 69 Mins, the run down was hell! My legs feel worse today than they do after a Marathon. Still the sense of achievement on reaching the top made it all worth well especially as for the first 8K I managed to stay on the heels of a 22 year old Ethopian whom used to train with the Kenyan olympic team, Ok he was having a gentle workout and I was exhausted but hey it kept me going.

What: X Train
    Why: Legs to sore to run
    Last hard: Yesterday
    Last Rest: 15 days

Happy running.
  • Options
    Morning,

Sounds tough DD :-)

What: Regents Park 10K [venoms clubs race]

Why: short fast blast before CPC in two weeks time.

Last hard: Tue [seams longer]

Last rest: Fri

train & race well all!
  • Options
    Morning
    DD-Sounds a good session you did;-)

Hope we are all well this morning

What:Reading 1/2 marathon

Why:part of London build up

Last hard: Tuesday

Last rest:Saturday

Good luck all racersHilly,Angelis,Venom,BT and all others, should be a good evening for reports

Run well are who are training and rest well are those with Niggles

Barbara- won't be long you will be back out training-Good luck
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Morning all.

Another exciting day in prospect with the race reports.

What: nowt, zlich, zip, zero

Why: HR too high this morning - don't want to run, delay recovery then lose the last 3 weeks of marathon preparation. Shame cos I'd planned to try out my energy gel strategy.

Last hard: Weds

Last rest : 19 days since the last one.

I'll go and watch the Norton 9 and cheer on a number of clubmates and Wardi.

Race well everyone.

• Options
    Morning

Looking forward to those race reports today, good luck to all.

Greenwich 10k for me today, having run about there before im wondering if they have any of those large hills in the race,today rather than shooting off I will conserve that energy as see how that works!

What: Greenwich 10k

Why: Nice and local

Last Hard: Thursdays Hill reps

Last Rest: Yesterday

Back later

• Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning early birds!:o)

Well done DD, sounds a tough one!

Good luck fellow racers and hope you all have good runs!

Good luck and enjoy those training runs today people, especially the marathon runners who must be getting close to taper for FLM now.

BR-enjoy the rest day and hope it's nothing to keep you off for long!

what:Mad March Hare 20 miles

why:county league race

last hard:Tues

last rest:yesterday
  • Options
    Morning all,

DD, good run.

What: North Yorkshire/South Durham XC meeting. 6th of 6 at Richmond.
    Why: Got some places to pick up (about 5). This I hope will turn into a battle between me and my fellow vet club runners. If I beat them both I will be well satisfied, might even get a point or 2 in the vet race. I have trained hard and tapered this week, fingers crossed.

Last rest: Sat
    Have a goodly day everyone. Race well.
  • Options
    Morning All,

Best of luck to all racing.

BR, get well soon.

What: 23M incl. loop round Holme Pierrepont (BR's favourite ;-). Start steady and try and wind it up after 90 mins.
    Why: Well had planned on doing the Berkhamsted 1/2M @ marathon pace with a 10M warm-up but me and a mate who were going to drive down have still got the remnants of colds so couldn't be bothered to go all that way unless we felt 100%.
    Last hard run: Tuesday
    Last rest day: Friday

Have a good 'un.
  • Options
    DD, forgot to say CONGRATS for what sounds like an insanely hard race, well done indeed.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Thanks WP, have to say I'm feeling sorry for myself this morning. It's a beautiful day and I should be out there doing a 16m run. So best wishes to BR and everybody else who is unable to run due to illness and injury. It's horrible!!

Well done DD, good to complete a tough one.

Will call back later to see how everybody has got on.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Morning

DD- Does sound a tough run, but what a sense of achievement to know you have done it.

What: 75 mins
    Why: Tapering
    Last Hard: Last Sunday
    Last Rest: Tuesday

Good luck to all racers, looking forward to result, i imagine it will be a big thread today.

Speedy recovery to those who are sick & injured.
  • Options
    morning all

DD - sounds like a monumental climb - well done to hang in there.

BR - not the sort of thing you need at this stage (42 days and counting?) - hope it sorts itself out soon.
    Best wishes to anyone else nursing bugs - looks like a super day to be out today.

what: Farndon 10K
    why: It's within an hour's drive, it's a nice day, I've got a "pass out" for it and will be a good sharpener.
    last hard(ish) day: Tue
    last rest day: Sat

sub 37:08 - new PB won't happen (this time)
    sub 37:30 - will be suspicious that course is too short
    37:30 - 37:45 - v pleased
    37:45 - 38:00 - pleased
    38:00 - 38:15 - OK
    38:15 - 38:30 - oh well, it wasn't a category A race
    38:30 - 38:45 - displeased
    38:45 - 39:00 - cr*p
    over 39:00 - a shocker

Irrespective of race performance, already v happy with events so far today. Matthew did his usual X-C course this morning without being chaperoned by me and, running in the same style (but slower) that yesterday (i.e. higher leg speed, more relaxed, shorter strides), took another 2:15 off his course PB - without apparently busting a gut to do so. A major breakthrough - he's every right to feel pleased with himself.
  • Options
    Morning All

What: Greenwich 10K Completed in 41:47 three minutes off my PB.

Why: Club Grand Prix Events and a local event.

Last hard: Today
    Last rest: Total Rest Tuesday 24th Feburary, last rest from Running Yesterday

LL
  • Options
    Morning all

DD: great session!

BR: sounds like a sensible move- enjoy the rest!

FINALLY got my lazy ass out of the door for only my second run of a lazy, lazy week. I've been busy with "stuff" but still no excuse for only 2 runs/20 miles.

Ran 11.5 miles including 8.5 over a regular "measured" circuit to try to get some indication of what shape I'm in for the Fleet Half next week.

First 4.5 miles (mainly downhill): 27:43 (6:10/m)

Final 4 miles (more uphill): 26:47 (6:41/m)

Average pace: 6:24/m

Felt in good shape initially but quite concerned with drop in pace over 2nd half. Usually get slowed by the hills but not to the extent that I did today. Managed to keep HR fairly constant but felt pretty hard towards end.

Now I'm getting worried about my first Half in 9 years next week! I already have a psychological block about this distance as I had a disaster at my one and only previous attempt when, after hitting 5 miles exactly on target I somehow lost 10 minutes over the next 8 miles!

Just have to see how next week goes I guess...........

Looking forward to the race reports later anyway :o)

• Options
    Morning again

Just back from Greenwich 10k and a great course, very challenging in places and very fast too on certain parts, long hills that had to be done twice which was extreamly toughg especially the mega hill that was the finish line!!

Had thought about pacing today so tried to keep to 3:41kph pace, wasnt sure how I would do as usually I fly off and do 3:20 on the first km, but today was all about conserving the energy.

Race limit today was 500, seemed as if they had reached that limit, maybe even more who knows, but I remember over hearing two guys saying it looks the biggest field for the event.

Lined up fairly near the front, the gun went off and it was a very tight squeeze, seemed to take ages to get past the bodies, and nearly ran into two park benches as I could not see them untill the runners infront quickly moved to the side, very close indeed!

Hit the 1st km in 3:38, so fairly on target, felt pretty good so continued t what seemed the same pace, 2nd km in 3:35, yep this feels good, so again continue as im going, hit the first hill with 3km at 3:50, damn but thought I was under on the last 2k so should even out, so now we were coming down and hit the 4th km at 3:32, better I thought, and still feeling really good, came to 5k at 18:23 and split time was 3:46, slight incline but still felt ok, normally now I begin to feel it at this stage but still in control, big hill now coming up, this is the biggest in the park from the bottom of the park to the top not far from the Meridian Line, hit the 6th km at 3:54, slightly dissapointed but nothing you can do when going up these hard hills, hit 7th km at 3:48, new the down was coming so now trying to pull back some time, 8km at 3:30 and trying to pull in some guys up front, another incline but new not far to go hit 9km at 3:50 and then we were faced with that monster hill on the final finish took over about 3 or 4 guys that had been infront the whole way and crossed the 10k mark at 3:47.

Fumbled my watch at the finish but my last 10k time was 37:24 today was 37:19 ( could be about 37:15, waiting on results ) and on a hilly course im over the moon.

4 races this year and 4 PBs, something must be going right, bring on Hastings next week.

Look forward to reports later
  • Options
    Longlegs well done.

Those hills were testing, and im strong on hills!!!
  • Options
    Hi Speedie

I found the Hill okay the first time round, but a killer on the second time round.

Well done on your time.

LL
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Hi all!

What 5 mile race at Blenheim. Sis-in-law's first race!!!!

Start most inauspicious, hail and strong winds fortunately mostly from behind. Stung miserably though. The Mr. says it makes a disconcerting sound on a bald pate!

Half-way came up at 27 minutes, finished in 51. Negative splits don't surprise me - I take a really long time to get moving. I liked the hills too, yes, there are ups, but there are downs too, and God gave me long legs.

The last mile, well, the bit that was on the flat I pulled out all stops, ran hard enough to feel sick at the end.

Very pleased.

Sis came home in 65 minutes, and grinning too. Not half bad for a first effort (and respect for our relative seniority too).

There were large question marks over this race given the extremely trying circumstances of the preceding week. I'm really pleased we made it to the start line, and even more pleased with the results.

Plan B was to cheer the Reading runners, and while I'm sorry not to have been there, this was a very satisfying morning indeed.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

Speedie - glad to see you living up to your name :0)

Stickless - great run, congratulations.

What: nothing
    Why: resting knee

Knee feels like I could run on it today but there is still some pain and I want to get it sorted properly. So, it's another enforced rest today and hopefully I can start getting some miles back in my legs tomorrow.

Have a good one.
  • Options
    Well done Stickless, Speedie and longlegs! Excellent racing.

I've stopped feeing sorry for myself now. Just got back from walking the course for the Rivington Pike fell race. Well that was the plan but I missed a turning and took a longer and less steep route. Found the right route on the way down, that's steep! Hope I'm fit to do this next month. Finished off with tea and Eccles cake at the barn a spot of people watching. Well, to be precise, leering at men in lycra/leather. A girl's got to cheer herself up one way or another!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Well done Longlegs, Speedie and Stickless.

Looking forward to the others

Managed 7.03 miles in 1;14:21 according to Garmin

Okay splits
    11:01
    10:52
    10:41
    10:10
    10:53! Had to stop on 3 occassion dogs. Dont get me wrong i like
    dogs and they don't usually bother me but they were intent on barking
    too much, and i was a bit dubious about them so i had to stop.
    10:17
    10:14

7.03 miles overall in 1:14:21 avg pace 10:35

So generally except for that 5th mile each mile was quicker than the
    previous, but still keeping HR low.

I'm like stickless as you can see takes me a few miles to get really going

Banbury next week here i come
    Bring it on.

• Options
    Afternoon fellow runners!

What? Rollercoaster Part II - aka "The Bitch"! (Part I was Roding Valley)
    Why? Tempo run
    Last hard? Last Sunday
    Last rest? 14/2/

Did today the Heathside 5m in Finsbury Park. Have been training there before and I knew the course. 3 1/2 laps and 4x up a steep ramp and 3x 0.5m long incline. Race started okay and did the first lap in front of a group of 6. The hill just after the start was just about right to get into swing. Nobody wanted to lead and everybody tried to draft. Thought this must be here a highly tactical race. Two Highgate Harriers, allways zippy people and two African looking (scary). One of them had possibly half my body weight :) After first lap dropped a bit. Second time up the steep ramp,down and the 1/2 mile incline up again. Third mile was a bit slower, got a bit de-moralised and settled for easy pace. Approached the last two miles and overtoook another runner on the hill, fully attacked here other guy had no chance :) The last 1/2 mile was uphill again. Glad it was over, possibly the toughest event I did so far. 28:40 and 8th place. Tough course and with 90mpw in the legs already can't expect too much, though feel prepared now to tackle the hills around Wellesley and Newton next month.

(1) 5:24
    (2) 5:42
    (3) 6:02 (!)
    (4) 5;46
    (5) 5:45

The local club did quite well and had a few top runners. Got a free T-shirt as well. Good value for money, there was a fun run too for kids.

Speedy - How is the Greenwich 10k, was thinking of it, but decided to do a 5m. Great time, well done!

Longlegs - Respect! Great running :)

Stickless - Congratulations!

Pammie - Keep going, you will be soon clocking 9:xx's.

BT - How is the Regent's Park 10k course like? Was planning to do it, but realised it was sold out already. They don't allow to sign up people on the day.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Barbara - didn't know you were planning to do Rivington Pike. Rather you than me ;o)

I've hiked up there loads of times but never run it. It will be a fantastic achievement - good luck.
  • Options
    Well done, Speedie, Stickless, LongLegs and URR! Brilliant results all round.

What: Long run (of sorts, speed and distance to be decided en route)
    Why: Marathon training
    Last hard: Thursday
    Last rest: Monday
  • Options
    Congrats and well done Speedie, stickless, URR, Longlegs. Barbara - leather an lycra or leather or lycra? I presume you looked closely - enjoy the pike race rarely see that sort of thing here in the south. Aaardvark - door collisions are a hazard - usually the car door comes of worst.

Well, I had hoped to post about a nice enjoyable x/c HM today. But.... On Friday I tried my first (and probably only) "spinning class". Suffered agonising calf cramp after 25 mins - so bad I suspect it pulled the muscle - and have been hobbling around for the last 48 hrs. reluctantly I concluded it hadn't repaired enough for 1400ft of climbing so stayed in bed this am. Am beginning to doubt I will ever run again at this rate. Suspect I've lost in the last month all the fitness I gained in previous 3. Englands pitiful display yesterday didn't help. Applause to the boys in green though.

Last run 11 days ago

Good racing to all others or hard training if not.
  • Options
    Good stuff so far :o)

Made it out for my short run. New trainers are great, ran comforatble enough, but 'numbness' (best description) at bottom of ankle/heel still persists.

Still 3.3miles @ 6m33s /m pace so it is not slowing me really.

Will continue with short sessions & stretching (not enough last week if I am honest) this week before deciding what to about upcoming races.
  • Options
    Aardvark, hadn't planned to until yesterday, it's a measure of how fed up I am I think. Not thinking rationally!

Sth Legs, there are cyclists in lycra and bikers in leather, lots of both on a Sunday!! Hope the calf is better soon.
  • Options
    Great races from Speedie, Longlegs (3 minutes off your pb! - heroic), stickless and URR.

Lasswade 10 miles for me today. I had heard the course was hilly and the rumours were not wrong! The height profile on the website is accurate but still doesnt show the undulating nature of some of the course. And that 300 feet climb over 600m in mile 3 is a killer!
    Anyway, started well with first few miles, mile 3 was 6:38 though, not surprisingly, and I reached 5 miles in 30:04. Mile 6 was another constant climb in 6:48 but after that it was generally downhill, although still with a few punishing little hills in it. I finished strongly in 60:03 in about 12th place (will confirm placing later) out of 400 or so and am well chuffed with it! the general concensus was that this course adds about 2 mins to a flat 10 mile course. I have only raced properly 3 times this winter and this was the longest by far. Things can only get faster and better! :D
  • Options
    Well done Stickless on a good run!

URR loved this event, will deffo do this one again, inside top 20 finish, maybe even 15/16th, something about this 10k that I really liked, good racing conditions and good support.

Well done to you URR another cracking run from ya!
  • Options
    Well done Peeps, great racing!!!

what:27k

Happy running!