Options

how long does it take?

I've never owned my own tv, but have occasionally lived in places where I had access to one.

I haven't watched tv since last summer now, and it's really nice to find that I know less and less about pop culture. I can finally step away from the entire cess pool in my ignorance!

Anyone else ever tested to see how long it would take to start missing lots of 'important' cultural references?

And what do you talk about instead?!!

Comments

• Options
    sharing a house with 3 teenageers never a room without the TV on !, can I come and stay with you please ?
  • Options
    Hilde. You need to subscribe to Heat Magazine. That'll bring you up to speed, and you'll be able to integrate into water-cooler conversations with ease. ;-)
  • Options
    The last time I saw a TV was in a shop in Sheffield, and the last time I stopped to watch was for the Rugby World Cup Final -also in a shop in Sheffield.

I find that I don't understand some of the "Celeb" jokes that go on. For example I went to see Steve Harley play on Monday night, and he was making jokes about "I'm a celebrity" which I just didn't get. Other people were falling around laughing. So the cultural reference was important there in context. Having said that it was an isolated incident.

I listen to the radio, but only the "Serious" stations - its not that I don't like popular stations, I just find that they repeat themselves after about an hour, and it gets really boring. I use the internet to keep in touch, and we get a paper on a Sunday.

What do we talk about. Sheep, art, music, mathematics (I don't talk much there - I just get to listen), politics, the kids. We find plenty.

We also do a lot of things together.

I don't miss TV or the shallow nonsense that goes with it on the whole.
  • Options
    FR - does talking about sheep make you fall asleep or is it just the counting of them ?

And does that work for you, or is that too much like work ?

Just curious.
  • Options
    Cougie

Sheep are very interesting animals, people write books about them you know. Certainly never sends me to sleep.

Do I count sheep to fall asleep? No I just lie there and listen to the wind in the trees, and, at the moment, the sound of water coming over the top of the dam wall in the valley (which carries a long way at night).
  • Options
    Sounds lovely.
  • Options
    Wish I didn't watch as much TV. If I didn't have one just think of the possibilites :- I could read a book, (gasps of amazement) or listen to the radio, or perish the thought, talk to the wife !............I'll keep the telly for now then.
  • Options
    FR, a kindred spirit!!

Heat mag, shudder! I remember seeing a few telly adverts for that.

There are always more books to read, and of course my thesis is a non-stop hot topic of conversation.
  • Options
    I do find it a bit frightening, however, of how the usual living room has the sofas and chairs arranged around the telly!

<<says she who doesn't even have access to such a room at the moment>>
  • Options
    Life is better without TV.

We read books, talk, make fresh pasta, listen to the radio, go to the pub, look at the view from our window, go snowboarding and when exposed to the new Pepsi ad on telly recently, throught that the three women in the arena were members of Atomic Kitten.

However... we also talk/bitch an awful, awful lot about other people and surf the net a lot, so find other ways of wasting our time.

What I really hate tho' (oops I'm on a roll now) is how TV becomes a topic of conversation on Radio 4. So we actually found out about telly subjects by listening to Today. Noooo! That's wrong!!

Actually, have to 'fess up, we recently aquired a telly so that hubby can watch the Six Nations (rugby). We're actually looking forward to it going back - too addictive, too energy sapping. Said telly is at the back of the dining room, on top of our piles of home-made beer. It doesn't even have a chair in front of it!
  • Options
    I think deliberately snubbing TV is incredibly pretentious and bigoted. There's no doubt there there is a mountain of pointless sh!te on the telly, but unless you watch it endlessly you can pick and choose a huge selection of decent viewing, keeping you more informed, making you laugh, cry etc etc. If you took away Radio 4 and the occasional good music programme on the other bbc station radio is mostly junk, and a book isn't inherently fantastic and better than everything on TV because it's a book. I mean, Jilly Cooper...

No one here is guilty of this but those who ostentatiously reject television because they believe it makes them better than people who don't are grossly mistaken. Too much TV is a bad thing, TV isn't. Sorry to rant!
  • Options
    Um, good point, but if you are of a compulsive and addictive nature it's not possible to limit yourself to the 'decent viewing'. Whatever that might be

This also presupposes you have access to TV guides etc...

So, for us, we're best off without. Otherwise we'd spend hours watching BBC News and the Extreme Sports channel and actively looking forward to the next broadcast of EuroTrash and SAS Are You Tough Enough.
  • Options
    Oh yes I agree. Doing a Malcom Muggeridge and denigrating TV as the devils work is highbrow nonsense. Our last TV ditched us by breaking two years ago.

There's just as much tripe on the radio, the papers, and on the internet.

We need to work much harder at communicating than most families, so practically it just makes sense not to have the magic box distracting us.

Hilde
    Our furniture is arrange facing the fireplace (big stone one) in winter, and the window looking out over the valley in summer. We have a "Furniture moving" ceremony on the clocks foward/back day which has to be followed to the letter !!

• Options
    'Decent viewing' could be any of the programmes on tv, it's whatever you find interesting. I should point out that I probably watch on average about 30 minutes a day. Most days I don't see any because of work and running and my son. But I wouldn't want to be without it. It's that judging tone I can't abide...
  • Options
    I don't think theres too much on TV that I'd miss if I had to give it up - football maybe - I only really watch c4 after 10pm.

What I think I would miss without a TV would be watching films, however they may be broadcast.

Do those who forego TV regard film as a frivolous medium or do they still visit the cinema? Is it possible to own a TV for film purposes and forego the license fee?
  • Options
    Hilde, I have lived abroad twice now, once for nearly 5 years and for 9 months. On my return I found that in certain matters I have felt culturally removed from major events that happened here at the time. ie. Lockerbie, Dunblane. Oh we heard about it, read about, and watched the so called news programs about events but its not the same as actually being here. I have not felt the same from not watching alot of TV, I don't follow soaps, avoid reality program that involve celebraties etc.,
    so I don't think not watching TV very much islolates people from society and conversation in any way.
  • Options
    TV is an amazing tool. You can learn a huge amount from watching it, and see sights that you never could without it. Granted - the internet is partly able to give you some of this, but just think about the wildlife documentaries that the Beeb have. Amazing.

Can't see that gameshows, or soaps are worth bothering with, but we do have good dramas from time to time.

It's great for sports too - you can see an event in person, and yet miss out on all the action and drama that was there.

If you go away for a week and have hours and hours of programmes recorded to watch on your return though - then I think you're a bit too keen.

At the end of the day - it's not a substitute for living life, but you can't often get away on safari on a work night.
  • Options
    Agree Cougie, TV has great potential to educate.

We just took a decision based on our circumstances and feelings. We've not regreted it, but I wouldn't want to impose it on anyone else.

We still go to the cinema, concerts and the like, and if we go into the local pub and the TV is on we certainly don't walk out.
  • Options

No tv? That's kinda weird. Its like a kitchen with no microwave. Or an armchair without an electric footrest. Or going running without a GPS unit.

Ooooh - I feel icky just thinking about no tv. The best thing about a telly is falling asleep in front of it. There's nothing in life quite as grand as dozing through a football match.
  • Options
    I used to have a housemate who was a bit evangelical about not watching tv. But he was from a fruity, Steiner school type family. (Just to generalise!)

He would sit in front of the tv, and start talking to us, in order to distract us from watching the programme. It was very annoying! I think he did it because otherwise he would have watched tv all the time. Or something like that.

I do miss having a video though, as there are loads of classic films I would like to see.
  • Options
    I think its kinda weird too, waapster.

I mean, how else are you supposed to keep kids quiet?
  • Options
    How people can not watch Footballers' Wives of a Wednesday, is beyond comprehension.

;-P
  • Options
    I am another weirdo luddite - no TV, no mobe, no microwave etc (I can't be a**ed with a heart monitor, GPS or whatever either). I grew up without TV, as did my wife.
    I have to say, I don't violently object to TV, it seems to have a fair few good things on it [eg Blue Planet, Jane Austen dramatisations], a lot of which ultimately get marketed as videos [Hildegard, next time you're around, come on over!]. We do have a video machine, which I guess is an expensive way of managing selective TV watching!
    Trouble with TV for us is that it becomes the focal point of the main room in the house (and placed in front of the most comfortable chair), and it must require a lot of self-discipline when you're tired after work not to flop down and just goggle.
    You do miss out on a fair bit not having TV - I often couldn't follow other kids' conversations at school, and I guess the same must be true for my kids. Also, I literally can't follow the speed with which the images change on some programmes.
    I remember Camille Paglia saying that anyone who doesn't have a TV doesn't have the right to comment on contemporary life and culture - while that may be a bit extreme, I can see her point, you are removed from something that is the major cultural medium for the vast majority of people.
    I cheat when the rugby is on and I haven't got tickets, find a pub or someone's house with a TV.

• Options
    Pssst, Dr Nic!... Footies' Wives is one of the programmes I miss the most. So bad, it's good. A friend of mine filled me in on recent events - can't believe what those writers think up!
  • Options

Footballers Wives is fab! Surpassed only by the antics of real footballers.

If only I knew where to buy that furniture from...
  • Options
    That's not furniture.

That's Man United's defence.
  • Options
    I was bought up with no TV , my dad got rid of it in the late 70's , he said it was rubbish , he had a point of course - there were only 3 channels and not even 24 teletext then . The only time it was a problem was when other kids took the micky for not knowing who Arfur Daly was

Now of course I watch it 24/7 but only Discovery channels

• Options
    Are you coming back soon then Hilde?
    [opens paws in waiting embrace pose]
    I'm wukking tonight, but have asked for Footballers' Wives to be videod on our new video player.
    Cougie - it took me ages and ages to work out what a water-cooler conversation was!!!!

I had no TV til 12 and am glad - but am endlessly teased about my lack of cultural refs from the 70s. But I LOVE 'I love the 70s' type TV progs!' I may have seen things only once but they still mean a lot to me! We didn;t have one a few years ago for a couple of years... it was lovely after we got over the arms folded staring at each other 'so talk to me then' phase. Lovely for the cubs who drew and drew and looked at books. Now they get up in the mornings and the TV is something to fight over :(

Hilde you've missed nothing except a slurry-like gush of really rubbish celebrity(?) reality shows. (Except for the latest jusngle one which was ahem quite entertainig) Hurry back in time for the last Sex and the City though!
  • Options
    Footballers wives was VERY RUDE two weeks ago - I was SHOCKED
    [blushes at the memory]

Tanya and Conrad on the plane...well!!!!!