Options

Human race off road duathlons

Anyone done any of these? I'm considering having a stab as a bit of winter training. The first one is the Wildman. I don't mind mud and hills, but I had a go at XTerra UK last year and the bike course was WAY too technical for my rubbish mountain biking skills. 

Cheers....

FT

Comments

• Options

Hey FT, they are really good events mate.  One of the courses, I think it is Iceman has a slightly more technical bike course than the other but they are both fairly straight forward, well organized and easy to get to.  Out of interest how did you find Xterra aside from the technical bike course, was it a good event as I am on the look out for something different.  Get them booked they are a good day out...

• Options

I wrote up some drivel about it:

https://ferroustom.wordpress.com/2015/09/16/in-which-i-have-a-stab-at-xterra-uk/

TL;DR is that the course was pretty technical, and very heavy rains for the days before made it a mud bath. Might have a go at the sprint distance next time then if my biking is as woeful as last time I might not get another DNF.

• Options
    Well crap. I talked myself into entering it and they've cancelled as the MOD have withdrawn access to the land. Anyone know of any similar off road duathlons? I need a sharpener to get my IM training off to a good start.
  • Options

If the reasons they gave are genuine then perhaps they'll reinstate the Spring Ballbuster as an alternative (albeit a road event).  I won't hold my breath though, I suspect that the duathlons simply don't make them enough money these days.  They've got far bigger events to organise and I can't see ASO getting excited about a duathlon for a few hundred people.

• Options

I can believe the reason given, landowners are getting more challenging to deal with these days.  I also suspect the National Trust might have something to say about that too Dave (sadly).

• Options

Yes HC, I suspect that these events quickly get into the 'more trouble than they're worth' box once landowners start to want more out of them.  I won't be holding my breath over a spring BB, the NT can pretty much charge what they want for sportives to send 1000 riders over the hill so why bother supporting an event for 400 that also jams up the car park?

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    See you tomorrow, CD?
  • Options

Sadly not, J.  I waited until after Mallorca before entering only to find I'd missed the boat by a day or two.  Entries full.  A bit gutting especially as I've aged up this year, although the way my running has been since Mallorca an AG podium might have been a bit presumptive!

Good luck and have fun, looks like it might be a bit wet but maybe not quite as cold as past years.

• Options

I think RW is broken...

How did you get on Joddly?

At least one of the HR venues was shared with my local XC league. We've also been kicked off this year; a real shame as I loved that race.

• Options
    joddlyjoddly ✭✭✭
    Hi C5, I survived, thanks for asking!

The rain was torrential for most of thebike which made things tricky and really cold - I didn't help my cause by forgetting to put on a jacket to start the bike, so nearly bailed and had to detour back into transition after one v cold lap, to put on two more layers!

I still love this event, despite having been 20 mins slower than last year and spending most of the race just wanting it to be over.
  • Options
    joddly wrote (see)
    Hi C5, I survived, thanks for asking!
    The rain was torrential for most of thebike which made things tricky and really cold - I didn't help my cause by forgetting to put on a jacket to start the bike, so nearly bailed and had to detour back into transition after one v cold lap, to put on two more layers!
    I still love this event, despite having been 20 mins slower than last year and spending most of the race just wanting it to be over.

Sounds similar to most years! Well done on finding something positive out of it image

Last year's event? was cold, wet and windy - the bike was being blown down the racking. I PB'd but decided that despite being an iconic event it can probably cope without any future attendance from me. I'm a cyclist these days and don't have the run legs for it.

• Options

Oh just seen that these have been cancelled, the MOD have been silly about land clearances and so Human Race put out an email to confirm that the races were cancelled and the ones early next year might be in question as well.  Shame as they had been going a long time and were really good events.