Options

Challenge Roth

So I've managed to get a spot on Roth & was wondering if anyone who has done it can give me some more information on the bike course, in particular the overall elevation and what the climbs are like (ie length & gradient)?

Have done some googling but am struggling to find decent / common information (I've seen the elevation as anything from 1,200m to 1,900m!!), and I can't find a website that really plots things in Germany like ridewithgps or bikehike etc does for UK routes, so even if anyone cold point me to a decent EU/worldwide plotting website that would be great!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options

There's a mapmyride route that looks OK.

It's 2 laps and not flat but pretty quick - the climbs are mostly short uphill sections with a long drag downhill.  Nothing too steep mind.  The Solarerberg is the only one that's anything of a challenge, and it's not really steep or long - my avatar pic is halfway up and I'm still smiling.  The crowds on it are amazing.  The roads are smooth as silk compared with Surrey.

• Options
    This must be current judging by how many rode it on July 17 2016 -

https://www.strava.com/segments/1711234
  • Options

Dave - therein lies the problem.......I can see one on maymyride which says about 1,100m of climbing, but if I take the gpx file from the Roth website & upload it to ridewithgps it says about 1,600m, and if I upload that file to bikehike it says just over 2,000m!!

Cougie - that doe help in terms of gradients, thanks, but can't see anywhere where it shows overall elevation?

• Options

Well, there are over 1000 people who've done that strava segment, and most of those were done as part of Challenge Roth.  Clicking on the date of an individual's ride gives the total climbing for that ride, and they vary a lot, but seem to average around 1600m.  That's GPS for you though, even less accurate at measuring height gained than they are at measuring distances.

It's not a hilly course though - with the exception of the Solarerberg, most of the climbing is fairly evenly spread over the rest of the course so you won't really notice if it's 1100m or 1600m.

Wales, it ain't.

• Options

Felt like about 1500m climbing to me, certainly one of the easlier bike courses.  Roth is my Ironman PB course and I did it 2 weeks after Ironman Germany. 

Roth is well known as a PB course Jan Frodeno broke the Iron Distance course PB there this year setting a 4.21 bike in the process.

Roth bike course if faster than a flat course, there are no climbs to be worried about, Solarerberg is about a 1 mile drag with about 10,000 people on the hill cheering you along (a few less on the 2nd lap)

• Options

you've had some good feedback on Tripetalk Shas

just don't hammer the 1st lap as it will feel so good - the 2nd lap will bit you in the arse otherwise.  my 1st lap was 2:30, my 2nd wasn't.......image

• Options

Thanks all!!

Dave - I'm not a strava guru so no idea how it worked, thanks!!

• Options
    Whereabouts are you based Shas - someone will know your terrain and that of Roth.
  • Options

Cougie - middle of Surrey (Leatherhead).

Having looked at strava and what others have said, think I'll base my training around 1,800-1,900m which should be ample, and seems like the worst gradient is only about 10-12%, so plenty of hills around here go more than that (Staple for about that gradient but it's only short so Coombe & Ranmore are probably my best bet as they are slightly longer & go up to about 15-17%, and the odd dash up Whitedown to really kick the legs!).