Options

Marathon running belt advice needed

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding the best running belt for a marathon. I'll need to carry my phone (iPhone 5) and a few gels. Has anyone tried the Flipbelt or similar products? Any good? Happy to hear other suggestions. Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    What gels are you having?  Usually they do a belt to fit the gels with a little pocket for the phone. 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I had a Flipbelt, hated it and gave it away, it's too hot and you can't find anything, spend ages rummaging.

A good bum bag that fits snugly without bounce is what you need, the smallest size that you can get away with.
  • Options
    Nathan do a bag called the "triangle" which I really like, and costs less than £20. It's got a fairly big / expandable pocket (which I use for jelly beans, but each to their own!) which you could use for a phone. It also has a bottle holder which carries a bottle in the perfect position - whether you need to carry a bottle or not is one thing, but it gives you the option - I'll quite often take a bottle during a race and stick it in there and sip for the next mile or two, saves gulping down. Any waist belt lets you carry gels - just fold the gel in half and put a little duct tape over the ends to form a "loop" (fold one end of the tape back on itself to leave a little tab so that you can grab it easily and take the tape off), then pass the belt through these "loops". The gels can't fall off while the belt is worn, and you can get at them easily. Never lost a gel yet.
  • Options
    SteveCRunnerSteveCRunner ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I do use a Flipbelt and find it useful from time to time for gels, iphone and keys. The best thing about it is the elasticity, which means it doesn't ride up to the waist like many drink belts. The worst things are that it can feel and bit warm, as Shades says, and a gel can migrate out of the slit pockets and get dropped if you have a lot stuffed in.

You also asked about similar products. I also use a http://theroosport.com/ pouch, which is designed for a phone and keys and room card, and can also take a few gels.

• Options

This is the belt I use, this was loaded up with 7 gels for the Paris marathon a couple of years ago. Hopefully you can see what I was on about with how the gels are carried. Downside is the reaction of security staff at the airport when they see this in your hand luggage (but that's a different story!).
  • Options

Thanks for the replies. I'm actually using my own fruit puree (I'm one of those no refined sugar types) which I put into little zip seal bags. They're not much bigger than your average gel packet.

I train with a bum bag, but hate where it sits on my waist and find it a wee bit annoying. It's maybe best just to stick with it though, as I have a bit of a system with getting fuel out etc.

rodeoflip - thanks for the pic! Can't imagine why the airport security looked at you suspiciously :)

• Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Laura, most people don't seem to bother with bumbags. I've just gotten into the habit of wearing mine on anything more than 10 miles, and like you, I've got a bit of a system - I know where everything is and I can get to it without having to look down. I would stick with it - maybe tighten it up a little to stop it moving around?
  • Options
    Zip seal bags ? That sounds er interesting....

What about gel flasks. You can get them and belts that take them and balance the weight around the waist rather in a flappy pack at the back.
  • Options

Oooh. Gel flasks. I ideally need squeezy ones like this:

http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/soft-flask-150ml-5oz.html?article=359802&CMPID=google|pla|performance|emea|uk|||91627621017|c|L35980200001&gclid=CLag5Zrvt9ICFYU-GwodvX8CWA

...but smaller and less expensive! I think I may be asking too much.

Zip seal bags can be interesting yes. It's not how I imagined my life, lol.

• Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Only problem with gel flasks is "dosing" - with a standard gel, you get a fixed amount. With the flasks, you might take a swig and get more or less. Maybe doesn't matter, but hard to get just the right amount out when you need it?
  • Options
    When I decant my gels into a water bottle for IM races - so basically it's a more concentrated drink - I kind of worked out what a mouthful was and added water to the gel to make it up to that. It's probably accurate enough. 

Lots of people use gel flasks for Ironman so I'm sure you could find a belt and flasks to suit. 

There is this - https://www.trespass.com/hydromatic-collapsable-water-bottle

It's fine for clipping to your bag when out walking but can't see that it would work for running. 

You prob need the smaller gel flasks. 

• Options
    Thanks for the help. I think I'm focussing on these things to detract from the fact I'm running my first marathon... I'm only slightly terrified :)
  • Options
    rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Wait until you've only got a week to go, and marathon paranoia sets in properly!
  • Options
    Rodeoflip,  that's a great idea with the ducktape.... Will try that on my long run on Sunday coming. I got a finburst running belt on amazon and it's the ideal shape for doing that. Was trying to work out how to carry 7 gels :-)