Options

New York Marathon 2002 The Original

Comments

• Options
    What time did you do George
  • Options
    Congratulations all, on the NY marathon as well as making a 1000 + thread on a running related topic!

Sounds like you all did really well, congratulations. George, were you really on a plane within 3 hrs of finishing??
  • Options
    I was thinking that too LL - George, what happened, did you just keep on running until you arrived at JFK?

Well done you guys - waiting with bated breath to hear more . . .
  • Options
    George

Have picked up a copy of the New Yokr Times with the results in , mail me ur address and I will post to you on my return
  • Options
    RR

For heaven's sake man, you're supposed to pay for it - you can't just pick it up!!
  • Options
    You little stars, all of you
  • Options
    Greetings from Noo Yoik. And congratulations to everyone who ran!

Yesterday's race was the toughest thing I've ever experienced. Course made Windsor seem flat as the proverbial pancake. I'm reliably informed by the Tea & Toast Lady that my lips had turned blue by the time she met me in the reunion area and my face was a deathly shade of pale. But it was a great race. Crowds were absolutely amazing. Was on for 4hour finish till 20miles when it went a little bit pear shaped. Came home in under 4.12 which still beats this year's FLM time by 5mins, so am WELL pleased.

Great to meet so many forum bods - sorry to Romford Runner and Keith, tried to find you again before the start, but no luck!

Am officially on holiday now, till the 12th, but I hope that we'll have stormed through the 2000th post by then!
  • Options
    By the way - George, hope you survived the flight without tooo much pain! Ow.
  • Options
    T&TM

On the forum - while on hols - I don't know

Well done on the race
  • Options
    huge congrats all....hope you all enjoyed NY as much as we did Dublin......long live URWFRC.........bring on the next one!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Massive thanks to Seaweed, George, Cheeky Monkey, Alex, New Runner & OB. I had a fantastic day and got a PB by 10 minutes over my London time in 4:26!! -under 4:30 at last!. This was very largely thanks to you guys - I can't say how much help it was to have such good company for the first 12 miles with sensible pacing stopping me being my usual idiot self and going off too fast. I was expecting to blow up even after I left you and you to come past me but I seemed to have enough energy to keep going -my fastest mile was mile 24 in just over 9 although paid for that with a nasty stitch to the end. Did a negative split of 8 minutes after passing halfway in 2:17. My only regret is that we didn't all come in over the line together. Not half so much fun on my own but I felt I finally had a chance to break 4:30 and so had to go for it. Whenever I felt tired I just moved to the side of the road and held up my hand for the high fives, it was like getting an extra injection of energy. Weren't the people in the Bronx great!. I met up with Romford Runner just into Central Park who was in serious pain from leg cramps. Hope you enjoyed the day despite this Paul. Lizzie didn't have such a good run as she hoped due to starting off too fast and a situation to be known as 'poogate' which it's better not to enquire into. She did 3:47 in the end, 412th for her age -bit better than me!!
    Ghastly flight back with Continental -Lizzie had to call the stewardess as the guy behind wouldn't let her put her seat back etc
    It was great to meet all you guys for the first time and I hope to run with you again soon. Thanks also to Alex for letting us crash the pasta party -sorry about the people who should have been there not having tables!!

6075 F 880 412 Elizabeth Griffin (37) GBR 3:47:58 3:47:40 52:42 1:51:32 2:53:05 8:41
    18731 14154 2755 John Marson (41) GBR 4:38:03 4:26:21 1:16:39 2:29:15 3:37:31 10:09
  • Options
    Alex, trust you had a good trip back from the airport.

Well done to all those who ran, sorry didn't get a chance to meet up after but the trip over from NJ was a little to far.

Off to catch up on some sleep now
  • Options
    Congrats to all the Noo Yoikers!!!

Seems like you had an awesome time!!!
  • Options
    Sorry I missed you all on Saturday. I was resting up in my hotel at 5pm, and did have a look in the Mayflower bar a couple of hours later on the off-chance but I think you had moved on.

Well done to everyone! I finished in 4 hrs 31 mins. Ran a good half marathon (by my standards) but I think the lack of training in the final weeks showed itself in the last few miles. Anyway...enough of times. I got round. End of story. Marvellous.
  • Options
    now back in the clubhouse,raring to go.
    puffer-thought you and george must have been in front of us,cos we'd have noticed the vests going past.and glad that you found the searing early pace to your liking....
    t&t-many apologies for losing you at the start,well done on your run.
    rr sorry about the legs,ypu'll have to come back next year...
    any more news on our missing friends legs or bobolink,or gnasher and the gnasherettes?
    and little feat-good luck for next week,your really barking imho.
    apologies too to all who might have seen today's telegarph city diary where i sadly got more coverage-the guy got me just after i had woken up yesterday so not a very coherent story communicated.i certainly didn't tell him i had run a solo effort-my pb and total high was entirely-well in very great measure due to the help and encouragement of the cheeky monkey-especially on the queensboro bridge-which for me was the hardest part-after a thin crowd feeling i was starting to cramp and uphill in a 'tunnel' on the lower deck of that mile long bridge.but what a contrast on first aveneue.so,not a solo effort at all.indeed,i keep getting flahbacks of crowds yelling-go alex,go sarah.my colleagues are now intrigued by the mysterious new woman in my life.......
    i just hope that despite injury setbacks that nr and ob got the sense of achievement they deserve,and i salute seaweed again for doing the sacrificial job of pacesetting for us amateurs....
    and what's this end of story rubbish-this is only the beginning.....
  • Options
    i started a new york 2003 thread in the events forum,probably not the right place,but offering an ejector seat if the dubliners come baaaaaaack.oops.also,when its time to say goodbye until next year...
  • Options
    Hi Alex

Thanks for arranging the pasta party , Puffer glad you beat your pb , I missed u by about 20 mins @ Rosie O'Grady's
    Derek also meet up there , he finished in 3:15 , he was the guy who hadnt posted but turned up @ the Mayflower , Im currently in my firms US Office which is up state from Manhatten.
    Will I come back and have another bite @ the Big Apple , well it would be rude not too.

Laters

RR
  • Options
    Hi Paul - we nicked the three points at Shepherds Bush on Sunday!
  • Options
    For once I'm lost for words - the most outstanding day of my life. Oldbones and me came in injured and all at 5h 18mins and i just burst into tears...so full of emotion - even now. Thanks to all of you for making me realise that marathons are about having fun, singing on bridges, drinking tons of gatorade, singing football songs and basically ignoring the fact that you are running! Special round of applause to Seaweed for putting up with my dulcet ones (and OB) for so many many hours. George, Cheeky Monkey, Alex...the list goes on you know who you are - just a HUGE thank you to all of you for making my first marathon the best experience of my life so far.
    "not so" New Runner any more! xx
  • Options
    Well done Nikki...so pleased you made it...FLM 2003 then??
  • Options
    Paul, sorry we missed you in R'oGradys but we had to keep going or we'd have keeled over. Went down to Chelsea and found ourselves in a super-pretentious gay bar called The Red Light -women were very interested in Liz!!. Went back up to the Village and had massive steak then back down to Chelsea for techno clubbing in Baktun -good night but dancing not up to scratch for some reason?! Reckon we walked 8 miles that night, seems quite a good way to stretch the legs. Hope you're over your leg problems and planning for your next event by now. Good to meet you.
  • Options
    Well done you lot! Ahh... it really does get emotional and I'm not been ironic!
  • Options
    nicki, you are a total star to get round,i share your emotion,getting lots of flashbacks.when will you next be smiling at staircases?i reckon its at least a week away.
    getting lots of buzz round the office-must be the finisher basball hat i queued up 90 minutes to buy yesterday.
    and its the first time i've properly slept on the redeye...
    but the biggest buzz-its you lot....
  • Options
    Just checked all those that I know ran and the times vaqry between 3:10:19 to 5:54:10, did we beet the best Dubliner?

As we all return there will be plenty of stories to tell and I am sure there will be many lasting memories, I know there will be for me.

NR (or not so now), sorry to here that things did not go quite as planned, but you obviously enjoyed it and so you should. You have acheived something that many others wish they could, just to complete is a major acheivement, have you set your sights on another one yet? ;-)

Little feet, We must have nearly bumped into each other at the end as I was 40 seconds in front of you. Must have also passed you in the closing mile or so as I was 2.5 minutes down on you at the 20. Well done on cracking the 4 hour barrier and achieving something better than you expected time.
  • Options
    Sorry Keith, no you didn't! Tiger runner was 2:50 something!
  • Options
    i think the best quote i read came from a us running mag,where a guy who's been coaching marathonners for years said that however slow you think you ran,you beat all the people who ran slower,all the ones who entered but didn't show up,all the ones who run but never race,and all the people who never run.
    so i really don't care too much if only 23227 people came in ahead of me-not counting the monkey,we finished together even if she did get one place ahead-(how does that work?,and she only had to walk to baggage car 9 instead of my 66.not fair.but perhaps politically correct...)!)

the other way i have been thinking of it is that we must have started with only about 1000 max behind us,so we must have overtaken at least 5000 people-and a rhino.what a gas.

and in the immortal words of coach bob glover-"conquering a marathon is a serious accomplishment-beating the new york city marathon is even more special"

just not sure i'm feeling pleased with myself enough yet...
  • Options
    i've emailed macmillan asking for a place for next year.
  • Options
    get back here everyone,before my euphoria wears off.forum withdrawal symptoms might set in and i could turn to the dark side....
  • Options
    Im here Alex , quality quote

-"conquering a marathon is a serious accomplishment-beating the new york city marathon is even more special"

As mentioned will apply for NY 2003 and will let the lottery do the rest.
  • Options
    Snoop

I found out the result after finishing the marathon, og by Marlet I believe