Thursday 20th May

2»

Comments

• Options
    What: 6 miles steady in 48 mins
    Why: Marquis de Sade says its recovery run day
    Last hard: still Sunday
    Last rest: Monday

First time I have tried to follow an organised plan and hoping it will bear fruit, at least if I can stick to it. I will find out what I am capable of before I try Cardiff hopefully as the training being more organised will hopefully reduce the potential for injury occurring due to my normal haphazard leaping and bounding.
  • Options
    Evening

Little quiet on here today!

Well done Lizzy good running times if not running much - dont ya just love it when zipping past car drivers - especially WHITE VAN DRIVERS!!!!

Honest report Stifler - good reading!

Nice to see you again Plum - hope all works out for you!

Second session done had to motivate myself a little though:

25 mile turbo trainer session including hills and hard sprints

Followed by a hard 3 mile run in 19:26 pleased with that as coming straight from the bike, effort was there avg HR 157 - 178 max

Enjoy the evening
  • Options
    sorry LL well done on your PB!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening

What: Gym, gentle session including 15 mins on bike warm up and 3000metres slowly on the rower

Why: Hadd test tomorrow didn't want to overdo it

Last Hard: Sunday
    Last Rest: Tuesday
  • Options
    BR - Hope you are cheering up a bit more today.

Stifler - think your plans are sensible.

Mike S - well done on last nights race and well done on the PB LL.

And happy birthday Sodahead.

What: Decided last night to do a work session in the form of a 10.8 km undulating/and partly off road local race as today was a national holiday. First race this year and first after the injury and with 3 heavy weeks behind me and no tapering was not expecting too much.

About 600 runners all together in blistering heat and settled into about 10th place after the first two very fast and downhill kms in 6 min with hr averaging 178. A bit fast but not necessarily madness as the course went on to a small lane where it would otherwise have been difficult to pass. Next km was the first hill which was steep and slow and led to a 4:08 km but hr staying at 178. Had dropped to 11th place with a few passing but also reeling one or two in. Flatter 4th and 5th kms followed with both in 3:42and hr at 177. Then 2kms including downhill section in ca 3:25 a piece and running with 2 others in 12,13 and 14 place. Yet another hill in km 8 and feeling the pain a but with a 4min km and hr up to 179. Km 9 in 3:45 followed by a stinker of a hill in the 10th km which had me struggling to keep any rythm together and slowing to 4:12 losing contact with the 2 I had been running with. Last 800 metres continued in similar fashion with one more runner passing me.

So finished in 15th and just under 40 mins for the course. Hr average 178 but was definitley not comfortable or in control in the latter part of the race. Even so reasonably happy with the outcome given the time off and the fact that this was after only 4 weeks proper training post injury.

Lets hope the legs don't protest too much tommorrow.

Simon
  • Options
    HP Soda!!!

BR, your times will fall soon.

SiT, well done on your race, it's alway's hard the first one back form time away from racing.

Had a invite to 15K race tonight, in The Hook of Holland. Second week in June, all expences paid! yippeee!!!!!!!
    They don't want me, but the guy's I train with might have a spare place!
    At this rate I won't race in the UK this year :-)
  • Options
    Tim,

What's the name of the race?

Simon
  • Options
    Simon, I don't know!!!
    It's a Saturday afternoon start about 2pm, will know more at the weekend!

I'll even get a 15K PB, not that I know, what PB's are anymore :-(
  • Options
    Sam PantherSam Panther ✭✭✭
    Have you seen the thread on FLM about Bud Baldaro, started by Smashy?

If you know about his weekend, then apologies for repeating the information.

But seems he had a mild stroke. The thread on FLM is for any good wishes.
  • Options
    What? 1m warmup / 5x 2000m / 90 sec. recovery / 1m cool down
    Why? Looking for speed
    Last hard? Tuesday
    Last rest? Saturday

Difficult conditions today, rained buckets and after first interval I was completely soaked. In one way it's nice, because it cools down the body and for most of the time I had the track on my own, nonetheless it was tough going. Grip wasn't good either, but I am very happy I stick to the session and completed it. Times are not great, because I could still feel yesterday's 16m in the legs.

7:12 / 7:23 / 7:14 / 7:19 / 7:10 (~36:18)
  • Options
    10 miles steady in 64:15. Felt ok but definately looking forward to the day off tomorrow.
  • Options
    Sam PantherSam Panther ✭✭✭
    Been lazy for the last two days.

Back on track tomorrow.

Found out that the Stamford Bridge 3.5 mile race that I had been targetting has been cancelled due to insufficient numbers.

Gutted. I had been hoping to beat my (appalling but still a pb) performance from last year.

In the gym tomorrow and will report afterwards.
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Hi all
    Haven't posted for a while
    Very nice and sunny today so sunbathed in the garden and then did some intervals on the home tready.

Kids and hubby off work/school today and tomorrow so will be spending most of tomorrow at swimming complex and queing up at local theme park;))

Brussels 20k next Sunday so that should be an experience! More than 25 thousand runners and we've never run a race with more than a couple hundred entants! YIKES!!
    Everyone seems to be training hard on here which keeps me motivated-Run strong
    tiny tiaxx
  • Options
    evening

cancelled hill running session with club due to lightening and torrential rain.

so only 1 session so far this week :-(.

Happy BD sodahead. good to read that front runners have off days too stifler.

later
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Evening all,

I'm having a few problems with my computer, which is a right pain. Going to get a new one-can't not be logging on here. That would be nearly as bad as not being able to run!

Lots of strong training going on per usual. For me just a short fast swim today in prep for Sunday. I haven't got a clue what time I will do for the swim or bike, but to tell the truth I'm not really doing it for times, more for fun!

Still really hot here today and hoping it lasts at least for the weekend.
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Not you too Hilly

I know what you mean when i can't log on here i go into panic mode

• Options
    felicitations to sodahead

this forum has saved my life---literally
    i could not live without it

nothing today
    bee in a clinic for the last 4 days
    well it feels like that

awful,news re bud
    have posted on FLM thread
  • Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Sodahead

what: Raining Slightly and mild - perfect Zilla training conditions - so did my local hilly 2.8 mile loop (the one i started learning to run on 3-4 yrs ago) - Have run the route 23 times now.

why: Not smoking for 3 days now and have had some weightloss in last couple of weeks so I was hoping for some sign of improvement or at least a stop to my dramatically decreasing form of late - legs have felt like lead before quitting so was hoping for a sign that this sundays tri was not going to be a total wash out.

I wasn't clock watching on the way round but I felt quite "fluid" better in the legs and running much much better - when I got back - I realised my time was 8 secs off my fastest time ever, and I beat my time from 2 weeks ago by 2 minutes - plus I eased off at one point on the downhill to rest a niggle in my knee.

:-)

Very very chuffed - even if Sunday is a wash out - today was worth it. (and the feeling i got was worth the niggles of quitting!)

I think I may be faster this summer

• Options
    Happy Birthday Sodahead.

Gutted to hear about Bud, I heard at the match I was at yesterday, where I also heard a rumour that we have a world record holder for mars-bar eating in our midsts, is this true?

What: 2 miles warm up then 4x[3x300m] with 100m between reps and 500m between each set of 3. Started fairly sluggish in about 47s, but then half way through it clicked and I was knocking out 44s and 45s by the end so much happier. 2 miles warm down.

Why: Speed session

Last Hard: Yesterday

Last rest: 17 days
  • Options
    good zilla
    pat pat pat
  • Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    Is that a joke about Irish treefellers?
  • Options
    GodzillaGodzilla ✭✭✭
    Apologies any Irish blokes out there called pat - all 1.2 million of you.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Sodahead! Hope it was a good one.
  • Options
    Happy birthday Sodahead! And very sad to hear about Bud. Hope it's a speedy recovery.

What: steady 3 miles
    Why: it was due. Just thrilled that it's now a normal run after months of injury
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: Saturday
  • Options
    Evening All

Happy Birthday SodaHead

What: 5 miles am easy, 6 mile club handicap race pm,
    Why: Club night

have a good day everybody
  • Options
    A day of mixed fortunes then....

Askern 10k seemed to be tough for the 3 big guns. We shall await with baited breath for the next significant encounter. However, SOMEBODY did win the race, however tough it was.

Hard luck and best wishes to all those with niggles, computer bugs, and serious medical probs.

And big well dones and congratulations to Sodahead, Zilla (no zippo), Lizzy B etc.

Steady week for me so far:
    Race Monday, then 5.5 miles each night since. I didn't feel like going out and doing them, but I felt a lot better afterwards.

Definitely NOT doing Blackpool marathon now, nor Lake V. Any suggestions for the summer? (don't say Athens).
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Well done Godzilla, abstinence deserves a reward!

Back midweek from a pleasant short break on the canals, seem to have got lucky with the weather.

11.5 miles tempo run yesterday, 6.5 miles steady today.

Many happy returns to Sodahead.
  • Options
    Wardi - a canal holiday??

Some great running terrain, no doubt:)

Blisters, suggestion for a summer marathon is don't do one!!!!!!

If you get caught in a scorcher that will be 14 weeks training up the Swannee. Hold back and wait for autumn. Abingdon sounds good.