Options

Thursday 20th May

This lyric's been bouncing round my head all week so I thought I'd share it with you ;-)

What: 6-7 miles easy
Why: winding down prior to 3 races on Saturday!
Last hard: last night
Last rest: 2 days

Have a good day!

Comments

• Options
    before retiring....

what: v little I suspect
    why: a) due a rest day b) cricket nets on Thursday c) Mrs S wants me back home by 19:30 as she's out this evening
    last hard day: Wed (but average HR of 169 for 5K race says "not hard enough")
    last rest day: Thu 13/5
  • Options
    Morning all.

Alcohol allows me to post rather than mope.
    Still ITB problems, still not running, still miss it like mad. Might be back in a few weeks.

Today, as yesterday, some cricket. Not an adequate substitute. :-(

Have fun, you lot.
  • Options
    Morning,

Well done racer's last night :-)

What: 10M steady
    Why: aerobic training

Last hard: a long time ago now!
    Last rest: Sat

enjoy the sun!
  • Options
    Morning

What: 3 miles easy / 7 ish miles reccying Brampton to Tankersley on the Barnsley Boundary route as a club run.

Why: don't really know at the minute

Last hard: should be last night

Last rest: Saturday
  • Options
    Morning all,

BR, sorry it didn't go to plan last night, give it time.

Today over a accurate 2 x 2.1 miles -

1 x 6 mins, 3 mins recovery (1 mile)
    2 x 3 mins, 2 mins recovery (1/2 miles)(turn round)
    1 x 3 mins, 2 mins recovery (1/2 mile)
    4 x 90 secs, 60 secs recovery (1/4 miles)
    6 x 30 secs, 30 secs recovery (1/8 miles)

The idea being that if I get from start to finish in under 24 minutues of running I will be moving comfortable quicker than my required 10K pace.

Why: 10K race on Sunday week, decreasing milage now and fine tuning the legs.

Last hard: Tuesday

Treadmill, we will see very soon if the speed work has the desired effect.

Oh, and I am one year older today.

Have a good'un
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Sodahead!

Rest day for me.

No sun here, hope it stays that way for Saturday.
  • Options
    WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday Sodahead

Morning

BR sorry you were unhappy with your race I am sure you will be back to normal very soon.

Well done all racers

8.246 miles done it felt good just need to speed up a bit.

A glorious sunny day again enjoy your running and take care!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Morning.

Well done last night's racers, sorry it didn't go well for you BR and MikeS.

Happy birthday Sodahead!

what:1 mile swim
    why:tri on Sunday
    last hard:too long ago
    last rest:sore point!

Another lovely day to be enjoyed, if I only we didn't have to work...

• Options
    Morning

Another fine day here in London - sunshine already and looks to be another scorcher!

Happy b/day Sodahead!

Plum nice to see you on here - hope the training goes well!

BR sorry things didnt go to plan last night but as most people know how much you put into FLM with loads of BT work and some good quality racing and awsome track work in build up! your legs will still feel tired and not up to BR's quality - at the moment!

I think the only good thing about not acheiving the time you wanted like for me two weeks ago at Sutton 10k I was dissapointed but then went away and replanned some of my goals and training - some times you need a little something just to give you that little more extra to fine tune ones training/racing!

Just think about your route into FLM a cracking 1/2 marathon and dont forget that 26.2 last month - another carcking performance!

What: am 8 miles easy in sunshine
    pm: Bike ride - distance TBC

Why: Tri and marathon's training

Last Hard: Sunday

Last Rest: Saturday

• Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday Sodahead!

Swerve, aw, sorry, was wondering where you'd sneaked off to. Hope it sorts soon.

I think that is what is so hard about marathon recovery. It is so hard to tell when you're back to normal. Everything feels alright, works ok, but doesn't perform to standard.

Patience to all who need it.

What: nothing, more to avoid total system melt-down than because my legs need it. It's been a tough week.
  • Options
    Thanks for that Popsider - I like Dark Helmet's pb best ...!

Well, weather is rubbish, rubbish, rubbish here, we have winds that make those in the Wirral look like a gentle breeze so spent last night playing cannibal and 'making' a turbo trainer bike - my winter road frame, an MTB stem, some huge handlebars that hubby used to race with, some completely crash-damaged Look pedals with no paint on them, the world's most hideous mid-90s handlebar tape... it is so dog ugly, it has to hide from the other bikes in a corner. But at least I can cycle in rubbish weather now!

(actually it is sunny at the moment but will be raining very soon, according to the weather forecast).

Well done BR, Tredamill and co, they are all awesome times in my book.

What: You know, I haven't decided yet. But some sort of swim/bike/run combo
    Why: Olympic-distance tri in August, nothing other than first place will do.
    Last rest: Monday

Have a good day, all...!
  • Options
    Morning All,

Mike S, CONGRATS on a great race last night - will you be targetting any 10k's in the near future?

Treadmill, wish I could run that quick during a "return to fitness" - brilliant going mate.

BR, don't beat yourself too much, wasn't this your second race in 3-4 days? No doubt you'll be back with a vengence soon, BTW I'd be well pleased with your times ;-)

Mike B, well done, despite the "shocking" time ;-)

Sodahead, Happy B.Day.

What: Interval session on grass.
    Why: Improve leg speed.
    Last hard run: Sunday.
    Last rest day: Wednesday.
  • Options
    Morning all,

Lyrics - good day for running on the streets.

What: squash tonight
    Why: it's Thursday
    Last hard: Sunday
    Last rest: Monday

Not sure if there might be something wrong with me at the moment. Last three runs have all been pants i.e. couldn't get round without a walk, even on the 5-miler last night. Maybe it's the heat. Surely I've recovered from Tewkesbury enough now (11 days ago!) even though it was a PB, so must have involved quite a bit of effort.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

Happy birthday Sodahead.

Treadmill, Mike S - great performances last night.

BR - sorry to hear things didn't go to plan yesterday, but you'll be back - unless you decide to give up on racing for a few weeks to cash in on all that free beer that was being offered last night ;0)

What: jog round whatever tonight's club session is
    Why: tapering
    Last hard: 7 days
    Last rest: 5 days

Have a good one.
  • Options
    Morning,

What- Circuit training very cautiously.
    Why- Foot started hurting after 50mins last night and slightly pulled my right calf. Seem to be picking up injuries every run at the mo.
    Last Rest: Monday
  • Options
    MM - next race in 20 days' time - Birkenhead Park 5 miles - category A++++ race - will be trying to beat 8 year old PB of 29:27.

After that, will start looking for 10Ks suitable for breaking 37:00 (PB 37:08, also 1996)
  • Options
    What: 10k training run
    Why: First 10k event in less than 2 weeks
    Last hard: 11/05 [7.1m, 10k pace]
    Why so long since the last hard?: Birthday celebrations!
    Last Rest: Yesterday
  • Options
    Morning!

Happy birthday Soda!

Sorry to hear that you are injured, Swerve. I cured mine with stretches and orthotics. Have you tried them?

what:easy run.

Happy running!
  • Options
    Happy birthday Sodahead!

Well done to the racers yesterday. Sorry to hear you had a bad one, BR, I'm sure it's just a matter of time to get the recovery sorted.

No twinges from the hip this morning, so looking forward to my run later. Really hope I can get back to training properly soon - two weeks of low mileage has really done my head in!

Last day of sunshine according to the forecast this morning - make sure you enjoy it everyone!
  • Options
    Morning all

Another beautiful day!!!

SGQ: see you got the lyric- strange to see that it was posted and spotted by us Wiltshire folks. NOt the most "urban" area in the UK ;-)

Developed a sudden pain in my knee on climbing stairs this morning which is slightly worrying. Not sure if my "ignore it and it'll go away" approach is going to work. Wait n see I spose!

• Options
    Good morning.

Happy birthday, Sodahead.

Well done to all last night's racers, especially those for whom the evening didn't go to plan. You still sound bl**dy fast to me!

SGQ - Must be something in the air. I really struggled to get round 5 miles on Tues night.

Tonight I'm going to be brave and crawl back to the running club. Haven't been for 6 months - injury and then wanted to get back to the point where I could at least keep up with the slowest group. Hope there's someone prepared to bimble along at the back with me tonight.
  • Options
    Morning all.

Managed a personal best last night on the club Handicap 2.4 mile course managed 14:20.

What: 8 Miles Easy
    Why: Marathon Schedule Says so.

Last Hard: Yesterday

Good luck all.
  • Options
    BodBod ✭✭✭
    Hi All

Still feeling yesterdays long run in the heat and the hunger hasn't abated yet (4 slices of toast today!!) but should be OK for tonight which will either be steady 10m or 3x10min
  • Options
    Hi everyone.

This is my belated race report from last night. Not quite as extravagant as my last one.

Set off at the horn and quickly took the lead, because i knew that on my form over the last month i 'could' have beaten anybody. Got 800metres into the race and the shit hit the fan. Well and truly bolloxed.

My legs felt so fatigued. I couldnt help losing contact with the first 3 and after 3.5k was caught by the next 4 guys. I really wanted to prove something there last night and the cruel blow means im gonna have to do it elsewhere.

I usually feel so relaxed and in control over the first half of the race but last night was awful. I really wanted to just stop and give up. I finished in 33:44, 30 seconds slower than last year when i was alot slower than i am now. Hopefully all the hard sessions iv done back to back will turn out to be money in the bank, and il have a stormer when fresh.

Im disgusted with it, but racing 4 times over saturday and sunday, doing 2 runs on monday and another 3 on tuesday including 3 X 1000 in 2:43's, :49's etc is asking for a crap race. I know it sounds daft but i probably would have raced better having done a few miles in the morning.

Gonna sit back a little i think and look at a race not coming up soon to try and peak at. Maybe the last race of the south yorks road league at Hayfield lakes. Not really bothered if i dont storm Worsborough next week, im useless at climbs anyway (or is that psychological???)

Anyway,

What Gym session followed by club run pm.

Why: Build some strength in gym then do a few miles for the day this evening.

Last Hard: Last nights pitiful 10k crawl.

Last Rest: 22 days.

John, to be fair its not been long since you started your two runs a day again. It catchs up on you when your body adjusts to recovering on 1 run a day. Good luck for your next race anyway. Im sure we'l have more to cheer about. Although i think my main aim should be breaking 33 first rather than running low 32's otherwise im always gonna be dissapointed.

• Options
    Afternoon One & All

Happy Birthday Sodahead
    Congrats to all whom raced last night, everyone of you ran a time I can only dream of. BR don't be so hard on yourself the bounce has only just returned to my legs after Two Oceans which was a week earlier than FLM and I haven't been racing since.

What: 4 miles in 30 mins
    Why: Slightly ammended Comrades schedule
    Last Hard; Friday
    Last Rest: Yesterday

Only 26 days to Comrades starting to spend far to much time thinking about it, staring a course profile etc...eeks what have i done?!

Happy running
  • Options
    Afternoon,

Thank you all for the birthday wishes.

Stifler, thats good perspective. Train for a race and keep positive. You have done a tremendous amount of running recently.

I completed my lunchtime interval session. Well pleased as I was able to run beyond the distance markers in the times I allocated. I think I will have a crack at this again next week but reduce the recovery times a little.

Back to work.
  • Options
    Afternoon all,

Happy birthday Sodahead

What: 6 miles done, another 10 later.
    Why: mileage building
    Last hard: 30.11.03
    Last rest: 33 days

Varied results and views from last night’s racing:
    Great run Treadmill
    Also, well done Mike S (and Matt)

MikeB – interesting warm-up for the 3000m!!

BR – you “fast-twitch types” do take longer to recover from a marathon. However, you are also more likely to win the Olympics than us “enduring types” ;-)
    I expect that the ‘bad’ result wasn’t a complete surprise to you…..give it time.

Stifler – I love reading your reports. My old training diaries are full of similar experiences:
    “nobody here can beat me”…….”try to drop them all in the first ¼ mile”……”oh dear (or similar), it isn’t my day today……”
    With the right preparation, I think that low 32s is definitely possible.
    Also, I agree that you probably would have done better if you’d had an easy run earlier in the day. Even for morning races, I try to get out for a few miles beforehand. Definitely makes a difference.

• Options
    Right! Did the 'Speedie/Monique' session.

Weather - strong (ish) southerly wind, gusting force 5 at times. Since my 20 mile bike route runs north to south (and back) round the edge of the fjörd this really wasn´t going to be a fast day... sunny, though.

Run 1: 3.15 miles in 22:09 Eh? Can´t be right. This means tht I´ve run faster than my 5k pb.

Bike1: 19.1 miles in 1:06.38 - slowest for ages, but did the circuit the ´hard way round´ (uphill for 10 miles, sharp downhill and flat, rather than the faster opposite way). Going into the wind was tough, coming back was fun, with drivers slowing down to check my speed against theirs. Wish I could do 25mph without wind assistance.

Run3: Decided to do 3 miles again, rather than 5 as I didn´t trust my Garmin´s reading from the first session and wanted to check the distance again. It was the same. And the time... 22:07

Um, really not sure what this proves... other than despite doing hardly any running but lots of cycling, my running is improving. Wish I could find a race to test it, and get to work on my pbs, most of which were set when there was still a Conservtive government in power ..

Oh, and nutrtional notes: Did the whole session on 2 spoonfuls of PSP22 for breakfast, and a banana during the session. Not sensible....

Stifler, great report, I´m sure you will have a blinder soon.
  • Options
    Many happy returns Sodahead.

Stifler- liked the report, you'll get there before too long,like you said I think you have maybe raced a tidge too much recently for this to be an "A" race.

Lizzy- Well done your bike will easily beat mine if I had been on a proper bike rather than those toy ones in the gym. I like it when motorists check their speed against mine- but I don't like it when they toally underestimate how fast I am going and pull out in front of me at junctions, hard braking and hard stares all round. I am also finding that my running hasn't slowed any with doing only three or four sessions a week, it did when I first started tris but hasn't this year yet. I think you now have a useful brick session to benchmark future speed against- I will do this one again in a few weeks time.

What- Something runny at the club
    Why- It's Thursday
    Last hard- yesterday
    Lat rest- 14 days ago (is this some kind of record for me)