Options

sub or about 4h30 hopefully

Comments

• Options

Thank you so much ffRAN - I didn't think I would do anything like that sort of time. imageBut I thought I'd give it a go for the first half and then see how I got on. Stamina training seems to be the key for me! Wheels totally cam off at nine miles with the Barns Green but this time I knew that my chubby thighs had carried me around 18 so they could manage 13! I feel excited about trying a sub 2 - but don't want to jinx it or be upset of I have a bad race.

Learning so much from all the folks on the forum and experience of training and races makes such a difference - I learn more every run I try! Still so in awe of all the amazing distance and speeds recoreded here but happy that I am making progress.

Thanks for the boost RH and ffRAN!image xxx

• Options

Congrats Relaxed! And well done to all th racers this weekend - some stonking results there! I didn't do too much other than have a fab time at twickers! Little mini taper ahead of Steyning Stinger marathon on Sunday which will be the last build up race. Gulp.

Insurance sorted, medical certificate done, jabs on Thursday. nearly there! image

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Morning all,

Hill reps for me today. These legs are going to behave today or else image

Emma, PW is on 27th March so works out well if you're doing VLM (sorry I can't remember if you're doing VLM or Brighton) but is too close to Brighton for me. They don't come any flatter than PW and it would be a great confidence booster for you. I did my 1/2 pb there but it's never fitted in with any of my marathons since then so I'm looking for a flattish one in the summer.

Birdy, I am so jealous that you're doing the Stinger! Hope the weather is kind to you as it can go either way at the Stinger. How's mum? Are you fully prepared mentally for the MDS? I'll bet you are image
  • Options

Yeah fingers crossed. I'm a bit nervous about the Stinger - I wasn't far from last in 2010 and running with uber pack on Sunday I think I'm definitely going to be bringing up the rear...oh well I guess someone has to!

Mum is OK. She is home now thank goodness but still recovering. Its going to take some time...

Mental prep for MdS...I don't feel like I'm there yet but fingers crossed over the next couple of weeks I can start properly focussing on it.... I've got some more race admin to do so going to try and put some time aside next weekend for this...and another trip to camber!

Eeek!!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Just keep telling yourself you can do it! You will do it, I know you will xxx image
  • Options

Congrats Redhead on your grandma status and well done to you runners. I am laid out on the floor with a trapped nerve and pain killers having been to fizz yesterday and out of races for a fair while gutted as going so well since xmas. Cant walk let alone run so not gone to work today......nightmare........poor OH as given me drinks and gone off to work.........after looking after me all night as I tossed and tried to turn over.

Best wishes for the big one Birdy you will be fine we know your record of finishing things you start you will be fine.

Well done Emma on a great time for the half.........brilliant result. My Silverstone number is staring at me on the side, will have to send that back and Reading is looking in doubt for later in the month even Sheffield in May could be a walk rather than a run..............any back exercises for trapped nerves appreciated.

• Options

Did a lovely efforts session yesterday - drove down to Bournemouth beach!

I first tried the old romantic/Chariots of fire barefoot run right down by the water, but it was too cold and worse, a bit too stony, so only did one 200m sprint; tried further up the beach, but that was too stony too.

After drying my feet I put my trainers back on and did a "normal" efforts run, 20x 1/4mile hard-ish(about 8 minute miling, so approx 5k pace) with a meagre 30 seconds recovery. I managed 13 heading away from Bournemouth pier before running out of road, and after doing the 7 returning reps, had space for a 2 mile jog back. The wind was in my favour for the returning reps, so managed to get each one back down below 2 minutes.

The plan today was to head over to Lulworth and run the coastal path for about 7 or so miles, then back to make a nice 15 mile LSR but still very tired and legs and back are a bit sore. Think I'll rest today (maybe a few miles locally!) and will do the long run tomorrow. Maybe that's too close to the race on Sunday though?!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

Just done 5.5 miles 'easy' as instructed in my schedule - well it was supposed to be 5 but who's counting image

Mark it's Relaxed who's the Nana, not me!

Very sorry to hear about your back. I sympathise as I have a trapped nerve somewhere in my shoulders from the accident last year and no amount of physio/sports massage have shifted it yet.

Didn't the Physio give you any stretches to do? I'm reluctant to suggest any as they might make it worse, depending on where the problem is. Hope you get some relief soon.
  • Options

Birdy.we have evry faith in you.you will rock itimageimage

Relaxed.great news on being a nana...............I will be looking forward to it in another 10 years or soimage

Mark.bad news about the back.they can be a right painimage

some good running going on.....I have my number for Llanelli on sunday and if the weather is nice I will be going for a PB...........

I will miss out on the park run this week..............I have only missed one since New years and they are great for getting a speed session in...................In the last 2 weeks i have knocked 51 secs off my PBimageimage.......24 secs nowimage..just got to get those speed to conveert to half and full marathon timesimage

• Options

Sorry Redhead apologies for the error its the drugs I am on I guess.......

Relaxed congrats on becoming a Nan.......

Good luck for Sunday Seren Nos......wish I was running on Sunday as planned but never mind. There goes my PB Ihad  planned. We are rather fragile creatures aren't we especially when backs involved.

What time you are going for?

• Options

we are fragile Mark.....its hard to read the bodies messages sometimes.and at other times things just hit you out of the blue...........

I want to go sub 1:56 to get a PB........even sub 1:55.........not sure if I will as I have had a hard long run this week and a long hard bike .but will ease things off from now till Sunday......My 5K is going so well and my LSR's have been going well.not sure if I can combine them to get a great halfimage

• Options
    No problem Seren Nos you will get a 1.55 I am sure good weather for Sunday so that shouldnt be a problem. Imagine yourself crossing that line with the clock saying 1.54.40 and you are half way there!! All the best for the day and I eagerly await the resume of the race on Sunday pm. I will be here on the floor waiting to see how you got on.,image
  • Options

I missed my long run today - I suppose I should have checked to see if the Dorset coastal path was flat or not... had planned to run 7 1/2 miles west from Lulworth Cove and back, but turned round after just 2 miles of cliff climbs and being "happy" to get faster than 30 minute miling!!! Did manage a 24 minute mile pace down the cliffs though!

Does mean I've missed doing the 15 miles I wanted as a midweek run (had to rest yesterday!) and it's too late now with 20 on Sunday! This was still flipping hard work and if a 4 mile run takes 66 minutes sing 790 calories, then I'd say it's hard enough!!

Just for your entertainment (i.e. so you can laugh at me!) here's some pics of the route I found on google...

http://www.christopherholt.com/images-dorset/dorset_02_016.jpg

http://www.markprobin.co.uk/photo_album/album/lulworth_cove/1.htm

• Options
    The grizzly is on the coastal paths on the dorset/ devon border..........definitely not flatimage
  • Options

Ooh IJ that is a lovely part of the world. Jurasic Coastal Trail day 2 ended on that stretch and it is brutal - absolutely stunning though and remains one of the most incredible days of running i've enjoyed!

Steyning for me on Sunday so just resting and spending lots of quality time in the sauna. Off to see True Grit tonight which I'm really looking forward to!

• Options
    ooh and Seren - I reckon you'll blast the half on Sunday. All that training is bound to pay off!
  • Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Oooh IJ, I love that area - it's so beautiful Last time we were there I wasn't a runner image

Seren all the very best for a pb for you this weekend. I'll send you supportive vibes as I'm trundling along on my 20 miler image

Birdy, best of luck to you too. It look as if the weather is going to be lovely for the Stinger so you'll have all those fantastic views. I am very jealous!
  • Options

Hiya Red, I see you got a full page in RF this month image

Good luck with the hats or is it gloves or socks image

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Hi Nicko, lovely to hear from you! It was going to be hats but it's gone back to a scarf now image

Will you be marshalling at VLM again? Or Hastings?
  • Options

Hurt my achilles and calf now, managed a 5 mile jog today, but it's just really tight. Not damaged, luckily, but if it doesn't loosen by Sunday it'll be a very long 20 miles! thank goodness it's flat (or so it says!) so shouln't add to the woes, might just add 2 mins per mile though ;-(

Swimming and cinema with the nephews for Saturday, so that should help!

• Options
    RedheadRedhead ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

I had one of those runs where it just feels great to be out there today. My Garmin announced that it's battery was low just as I was leaving the house and then went dead by the time I reached the gates! It was such a lovely morning that I decided to go across the fields and just pootle rather than a MP run and it did me the world of good. Spring is really starting to show now. I saw a herd of red deer and got really close before I spooked them, a pair of herons, a white egret and loads of other different birds. I came home muddy and happy image

Hope my 20 miler tomorrow is as much fun image

IJ, oh dear. Hope your 20 miler isn't too painful. Take care.

• Options
    RH which is your 20 tomorrow?
  • Options

Sounds like a nice run Redhead.  I am sat watching athletics nursing a very bad back and pins and needles in my leg to the knee. NOt happy the sun is shining outside and my daughter has gone for a run on her own.,.............NOT HAPPY.................thanks for listening.......

How have your races and runs gone? Cheer me up!!!!!

• Options

Afternoon all.

Great to hear you are back on form RH, hope the 20 was comfy today.

Same to everyone else who ran today - racing or training. Birdie - D Day will be here before you know it - you must be so excited!

Mark, hope the back is getting better.

Hope you enjoyed Llanelli today, Seren, and had as good a time as I had - everything went well for me, and despite climbing Pen y Fan yesterday morning, all my muscles felt great. I got a storming PB - 1:51 -loads off my previous best, and just felt I could have gone on and on - just as well, 6 weeks out from VLM! The only downside to the whole event is that my "disposable"chip disappeared at some point during the morning - so I'll be down as a DNS or DNF. I was absolutely gutted as I feel I won't be believed. But as my running pals said- I know, they know, and I can put a link to my Garmin for doubters. (Would anyone want to lie about a PB?)

How's the little one, Relaxed?

Can't wait to find out how Bath/Silverstone went. Have a lovely afternoon everyone!

• Options
    Had posted without seeing your last message, sorry, Mark - hope you're feeling a bit better soon.
  • Options

Mark.........sorry to hear that its still bad

ffran......congratulations on the PB........the chips were a bit flimsy......it was a perfect day for a race....it was nice and cold which suited me...........

the amazing thing was that I PB'd by about 7 mins..............1:49 :13 on my watch...awaiting the official results........I'm on a real big high tonightimage.....

i did a race report on my RW threadimage

• Options

20 beautiful miles and a PB! perfect weather; freezing cold at the start, lovely and warm all the way round, sunny (I even got a Garmin 301 shaped suntan!) and the wind abated just about enough.

3 hours 28 mins 54 seconds - took 6 minutes or so off last year's East Hull 20 time, and that's despite being very broken after that cliff-session on Thursday. Calves felt as if they were all going to explode and left achilles wanted to twang like a g-string for most of the race. Luckily they did hold together, and eased slightly once they warmed up about 6 miles in. The pain was worse than my mile times, and some sub 10 minute miles allowed a 10 mile time of 1 hr 41 mins. I wasn't able to duplicate the times on the second lap, but conversely, didn't slow much and still kept under 11 minute pace for most of the way.

Very sore now though, but all should ease off. Might be a couple of trips to the fizzy before next week's 20 - that's a hilly one!!!!

Fantastic result ffRAN, that's a brilliant time! Are you aiming for SUB four hours at VLM????!!!!

Good luck Mark, get better soon!!

• Options
    More cross-posting...Seren,  fantastic too! Well done!!
  • Options
    IJ.....great to hear that it came together for you today...................it's a good day for the threadimage
  • Options

Whow some fantastic results very proud of you all. It turns out not getting a place for silverstone was a good thing as my friend spent 2 hours trying to get out of the car park after the race. Im quite suprised as when i did it 2 years ago they delayed the start by 1/2 hour because of traffic problems, thought they would have sorted it out by now given as its quite a high profile race.

Anyways I did 18 miles yesterday, my garmin battery died at 16 so think it was about 2:45 which im very please with. Cant wait for Norwich half next sunday hopefully going to go sub 2 hours and smash my 2:07 PB.