Options

10k & half marathons

Comments

• Options

Looks like everyone is either on their holidays or run away and left the thread image

Have a great couple of nights awayimage

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Boing boing boing!

Had a couple of weeks trying to fit things in and done a consistent 16 miles each week (though it includes walking miles and a couple of swim miles too....!) I really need to do some weights work in the gym though. I've quite enjoyed building up the work I do on my upper body and want to try not to lose that as i get more into the running again. It's possible that I might forfeit a session or two on the weights for a spinning class or a circuits session....

Just in case there are others out there (or even if it's only Rio!) I thought I was share an observation and see what you thought of it. I used to breath in for three and out for three when I was training. Sometimes it would be in and out for fours. But since starting back to regular running, I have noticed that i am in for three and out for four. Does it matter? And why would it change? I've alwasy breathed however is comfortable and only noticed it when it gets into  a rhythm which I then try and concentrate on if I'm struggling for example, so I have never consiously thought "today with be an in for 3, out for 3 day" if you know what I mean.

I seem to recall there being a recommendation to breth in/out for odd numbers to share the balance on the lungs (which i was always a bit sceptical about if I'm honest!), but I don't ever recall anyone saying anything about breath in and out for odd/even numbers.

Hey ho. Here's to another week and some lovely weather... fingers crossed!

• Options

Jen I think the breathing thing is something to do with giving your diaphragm a break.  If you breathe on evens ie 2/2 or 4/4 you are always landing on the same foot and it can be stressful on the diaphragm (or make you more prone to stitch or something).

I ignore my breathing generally and just let it happen.  But if I do notice it it is usually a 3/3 pattern for long stuff and 2/2 for shorter quicker stuff.

Only worry about your breathing if it stops imageimage

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Ha ha!  image I probably wouldn't be able to worry about it then though, so let's not worry about breathing at all!!

Just a little hello to anyone who's reading, and nighty night cos it's getting close to bed time. image

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

*tentatively peeks in*

Hello?

*creeky floorboards*

Anyone here?

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Hello

Got an email notification of life of this thread, thought it went to where old threads go

Are you running Jen

I'll not be doing any 10kms till probably oct/nov concentrating on 5k and below till then get some short race speed no halfs for me till next year but only in prep for a fullM

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

*drags in bucket of soapy water and a duster*

Thought I'd try and revive the thread, since I did a race for the first time in years over the weekend and was chuffed to bits... 5k in 25:31!!!!! Since I haven't been doing much consistent running (I've barely got myself up to 4 miles - accidently did a 5.5 miler a few weeks ago, and felt a bit queesey about it!), I was in shock!

I have been cycling 2x9miles once a week though, and been doing a lot more swimming this year (including a 5 week swimming course in March/April where the focus was on leg work and I was swimming four times a week). So I reckon the combination must be doing some good!

I am officially re-inspired and will be doing the Swansea 10k in September and aiming for 52 mins.

There. I have said it. No going back now!!!

How is everyone else? Pammie - you doing the LFOTM races? I am jealous of anyone who can do those regularly!

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Hello Jen and any possible ex residents

Yes Jen still doing the Last Fridays Good 5km from yourself and with consistent training i'm sure you'll knock a bit of time of that. My training hasn't been perfect deferred from London this year mum was ill, sadly lost her a few weeks ago. So hence will be building up towards next year but i was planning on just up to 5kms in the summer then Southend/Billericay 10kms

Just getting back running prior to sunday hadn't run in 12 days and the last month running was been sparse. But i did manage 2x20 milers earlier this year not dne that before

Hope we can get a few of the ex members back

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Oh Pammie, I'm so sorry to hear about your mum. Hope you are bearing up ok.

Well done on the 20 milers though! I never got about 15 miles, and I think that was the week that I realised 40+ miles a week makes for one very tired Jen*!!! So it hasn't happened since!

I think my plan is going to be to focus on the 10k distance - I probably won't race between now and then, but I will increase my long run to 9 miles and stick to that. Just doing steady miles inbetween times as well as more swimming and cycling. I might do a mini Tri in August depending on how confident I am, to see how well the three combine. I did one in 2006 on the back of very little training, so if I were to do it, I would want to smash the time I did there!

Today involved 2x9 miles on the bike (to work and back). Might try and get to the pool in the morning for 30-40 lengths too.

Oh! News! I'm becoming a Godmother on Sunday! My cousin (who got married in Jamaica 3 years ago) has had her second kind and Gareth and I are going to be Godparents. SCARY! I have a nice dress to wear though. Just need to find shoes.....

*peers out for old regulars*
    Escargot? Ceal? Rio?
    Might just be you and me Pammie!
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Jen congratulations on being godparents  both you and Gareth

I'm bearing up ok keeping busy most things sorted out.

Thats part of the plan limiting myself to 5ks over the summer if i can reduce my times they'll help  with the longer races when i do them
    I'll still pop in regardless

Ceal is on hols, how about Aardvark loved his posts here

Good like with the Tri

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

I wonder if ATMF is still in Canada? I think BunnyP is still studying (and running)...

Nothing from me today apart from SHOPPING!!!! Got a charm bracelet for my soon-to-be-goddaughter, which I am actually very disappointed with since one of the charms has a dodgy clasp (or is the wrong size - I dont really know), and the 20% discount wasn't applied either. It's all going back tomorrow and in the mean time I have to find time to buy something else completely. WHAH!!!

Probably won't be training over the weekend either and then only have three days until 2 weeks of holiday! Think I will be in the pool a lot on holiday though, so that's ok.

Happy running everyone!

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Hmm.... still fairly quiet around here...

True to my word, no training done for a few days and my belly feels all the bigger for it! I'm cycling into work tomorrow though, so will go hell for leather down the cycle path. Am hoping if I can find the right pannier rack to be doing this more than once a week eventually, but at the moment it's too logistically challenging.

• Options
     Hi Jen, I will join you. Hi again Pammie! I'm gearing up for my second half marathon of the year in 7 weeks. My PB so far is 1.57.25, so anything faster than that I'll be happy with, although I secretly dream of a sub 1.45, sigh  image.  After that I have 3 10ks in the pipeline over september and october, so will be trying to get even faster. Also ran my first marathon in April in Stratford and despite yelling never again as I crossed the finish line, I'm probably going to do the Brighton marathon next year, must be mad!
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Ooo, jax - a marathon runner! I don't even have to cross a finish line to know the words "never" and "marathon" sit very snuggly together....!

My secret dream is a 45minute 10k. I am a long way away from that at the moment. Got Swansea 10k in September to see how far away exactly... I'm guessing 8-10 minutes. image I got close with a 47:55 (I think?)... but then had some bad runs, a few falls and too much other life going on and now here I am, doing what I can, and somehow getting a 25:31 5k!!! I just need to maintain the momentum of excitement as there is still lots of life going on which I am enjoying a lot and does take my focus away.

Am off on holiday for 2 weeks tomorrow! Sun sun sun in Sharm el Sheik. It's hot, so I gather. I'm quite happy to melt for a few days. image

Keep up the good work everyone! Jxx

• Options
     have a good holiday Jen, we'll revive the thread when you get Back  image
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Afternoon

Have a good holiday Jen, oh i remember sub 45 for 10km was a dream of mine as well hopefully when i lower my 5km time i can do that. Yes think ATMF is still in Canada as far as i know he's on my facebook.image

Hello Jax good to see you here as well will be good to see this thread revived

• Options
    Hi all, Ive started my training for the Bupa Great north Run. Been running about a month or so. Did a 5k in 24 minutes on tuesday which i thought was ok seen as i could barely jog a few minutes a month ago without panting like a dog with sunstroke lol. Im starting to up my mileage now on my long runs. 15 Weeks to go i think i should be in shape in time. This is my First race so will see how it all goes image
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Oops - not very good at keeping the thread alive!

Latest news:

Entered a Sprint Tri that is on 29th August - FOUR WEEKS TIME! Have done the course before, but that was over four years ago, but am confident I can beat my time of 1hr20m which is all I want really.

Entered the Swansea 10k in September. Really looking forward to it and wondering if I can do 55mins... or maybe even a bit closer to 52. There's honesty for you. I really should be keeping aspirations like that to myself so I don't look foolish when I crawl across the line in 70minutes...

I'm re-instigating the 10k Challenge! Pammie - are you on board??? I'm giving myself three years - 45mins when I'm 35yrs old. This target is possibly a bit more realisitic than the target for my 10k in 2 months....!!! (though that would suggest that a 45min 10k is achievable - what am I saying?!).

Anyone else got targets, long or short term, to share???

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Middle distance...10k and half marathons!?

Surely a half marathon is a long distance, or are we getting too influenced by those crazies who do 20  marathons in 20 days and suchlike.

A half is still a long distance by my money!

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Steve

I don't think this thread was start with the definition of middle distance running in the strictest sense yes middle distance is 800m/1500m.

When this was started jen will tell me if i'm wrong there was a gap everything seemed to be focussed on marathons or the shorter 5kms and nothing in between not all of us want to run marathons every week so its kind of in the middle of distance running

Anyway Jen 45minutes still my goal but along way off from that training has taken a bit of a dive recently in the middle of making life changing decisions so at the moment don't know how much i can commit to training week in week out

Having said the above will be doing London next year but this is for mum it'll be my last for a while unless i manage a GFA (sub 3:50) lol

Apart from that goals are sub 25 again and stay consistently under that

10km get back under 50 minutes haven't run a decent 10km in 5 years have 2 in the pipeline

Southend - October

Billericay - November

A Half next spring on my way to London Possibly Paddock Wood would like a sub 1:50 (pb 1:53:09)

Good luck with yours

ps 5km coming up on Bank holiday see where i am by then

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Three years Jen you've given me an idea

In three years i'll be 45

so a sub 45 before i'm 45 sounds a cool idea

• Options
    Glad to see the thread resurrected again! I've been injured for a month with a groin strain and sore shin, but I'm getting back to running now - hooray. I'm aiming for a sub 50 10k before the end of October (but secretly hoping for a sub 45!). I'm doing a 10k on sept 5th, but just running that for fun and will see what happens. Doing 2 10ks in October (3rd and 31st) so really hoping to get a PB in one of those.
  • Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Great Idea Pammie with the time linked to your age...I'm gonna cheat and say I'll aim for a sub 36 by the age I'm 36
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Wowsers - haven't seen this much activity for years on here! Hello everyone!

Pammie - I did remember that there was 10 years between us and wondered if the 45@45 might inspire you too image.

On the name of the thread, there did seem to be a gap at the time. I appreciate the jump from 10k to half marathon is a big one, and that 10k isn't to be sniffed at either. But I do think Marathon is a whole different ball game and lumping a half in with a full marathon under the heading 'long distance' doesn't really give the 26.2 distance the credit it deserves. I know I won't be touching one of those with a barge pole!!!!

As far as my 10k challenge goes, the Swansea race will be my benchmark, and I'll probably work towards that being my sub-45 in three years. Don't really have any plans post-September until then - bit of a rubbish three year plan at the moment really!

Just been out for 6 miles. Very pleasing run, ran strong despite a cycle/swim/cycle session yesterday. 6 miles is my 'long' run at the moment and I want to get up to doing an 8 mile circuit 2 or 3 times before the 10k race to give me the confidence for sub-55. Got 8 weeks, and given how good today felt, I think that should be quite achievable.

Have a fabulous week of training, lovely people!

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

aqreed on half to marathon comments.

I'd describe it as saying a half marathon is still "raceable", whereas a marathon i a grim battle of mental and physical power, going beyond the bodies natural limits.

That's why I don't go close to marathons, yet have done 16 halfs!

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Stevie - Had to go back to your thread to check your age/pb image  you don't fancy making it a little harder

Jax - Good luck with the 10kms hope you've seen the back of the injury

Jen - It has inspired me i needed something so cheers went back and re read my old sub 45 thread can't  believe that it was 6 years ago.

Good luck with Swansea.

Mine will probably be a three year plan as well don't expect to make any major dent until autumn next year 9 weeks till Southend and Billericay a month later so not enough time really, London next spring so that will be the focus and over the summer i won't race over 5km so hope i can lower my short race times ready for the autumn, mainly due to the type of summers we've been getting don't race too good in the heat esp on races longer than 5km. Also by focussing on a set distance gives you more chance of reaching your goals rather than trying to do all distances and not really progressing

• Options
    Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

doh rumbled. Good work Pammie .image

7 years to take off 45seconds is a bit cheeky of me!

From what I read best not to put limits on time....you can surprise even yourself often if you don't!

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭

Stevie - totally agree with that statement

I've read also by putting a limit on yourself that is all it will become

A quote which is on a friends facebook says it all

The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark.
    Michelangelo

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

The closer you get, the harder it is to knock it down though... don't you find?

I'd be fibbing if I didn't hope I could do it within 3 years, but it took me 12 months of good training to knock 5 minutes off between 2004-2005. While I have more running years in me now, it hasn't been consistent training, so if I can get to 48 mins in 12 months I'd be happy. From there, I don't know how much hard work will be needed, but if it's a lot, then at least I have another two years (which will also allow for the odd sprained ankle which I seem to be prone to when training 'properly'. Best remember to do some ankle strength training!).

Nighty night everyone - lovely to see the thread busy again!

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

I have been a busy bee!

Swim on Monday, bike and run today... resting tomorrow.

Anyone else?