Options

10k & half marathons

Comments

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    slackdad
    I look forward to it. Good Luck for the weather as much as anything else.
  • Options

Maybe people aren't running as many 10ks / HMs at the moment to revive the thread ? Well, good luck in the Wilmslow HM Slackdad, what time are you going for ? As for me, the 10km race that was advertised for this weekend switched to a 5km, we were informed today ! One of the hazards of having only one running club on a small Island in the middle of the Gulf....expect the unexpectedimage I'm going to rest anyway, the 5km last weekend took it out of me so soon after the marathon cos I pushed it hard. Hope the training is going well evryone else ? That's my last chance of a 10km or half marathon race gone until the summer, so will look at a few 5/8kms races soon but will keep on posting.image

• Options
    I'm aiming to break 2 hours Sunday. Ran it in 1:55 in 2007 then 2:05 last year. I know my legs are in shape to break 2 hours but I'm troubled by a right knee injury, so we'll just need to see how it goes. At least this year I've got the miles under my belt.
  • Options
    Well good luck but you might want to remove the biscuit off your head before the race otherwise it could slow you down a bit ?image
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Derm
    that is bad luck, but not the end of the world. You are right to rest well before the fast 5k again. A marathon takes a bit of getting over. But you have enough endurance under your belt to rest and possible run an even  faster 5k this weekend than last.

Love the biscuit remark to slackdad

I have a 10k as well this weekend. A flat one but rather twisty and turny. Also it starts at 9.15 am, which is just about ok in the normal run of things, BUT the clocks go back and so my body will still think it is 8.15 mins, not so good!

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Gosh a new page.
  • Options
    AardvarkAardvark ✭✭✭

I second Ceal's words about recovery after a marathon. I underestimated how long it would take me to recover from the 20m race - I thought I'd be good to go this week, but I did a steady 10m on monday and my legs fell apart afterwards. I've made myself take it easy - which wasn't much trouble as this week has been quite hectic anyway - and I'll start training properly again this week. I did 4m today and felt like my legs had some spring in them for the first time in a while, so I think I'm getting back on track.

Maybe the thread will start to pick up again as we hit summer and there are more of the shorter races going on - I think we're hitting marathon season at the moment. It would be nice to keep the thread going, even if it's just for occasional updates on how people are getting on. 

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Oh yes it is the silly season isn't it. I was going to be doing a marathon but due to the injury i got (recovered now) won't be doing it hame ummed and aahed over it all but rather do one when i'm ready and not just use it as a training run. If i was into ultras i would say yes. But should have a number of short races comng up so hopefully i should be back regularly on this thread. Its a lovely thread
  • Options

Quick update on this week's race. In the end I entered the 5km yesterday. Set out sensibly slower than last week and was feeling quite comfortable in the first few k compared with last week, apart from a calf niggle picked up doing speedwork on the treadmill a few days ago. When I looked at the time 3km realised I was on target to break PB again, so pushed on. At about 3.5km the niggle suddenly changed to a shooting pain in the lower calf so knew better and pulled up....gutted. Was talking to an experienced runner before the race and he advised me to take it easy and not try 2 back to back 5k PBs within 4 weeks of finishing a marathon....good advice not followed ! I think it's a grade 2 calf pull so going to have a good rest this week and maybe use the gym weights a bit more, something I should've done earlier ! Good lesson learnt - don't rush back into racing too soon after a marathon. Hope your races all go well today, lookig forward to hesring how they went.

• Options

Quick race report from my Wilmslow HM.

I didn't have a watch on me so no idea about splits etc. The day was cloudless and sunny - very cold when we got there but warmed up during the race.

Felt quite heavy legged at the start but was OK for the first few miles - I'd reckon I got to 6 miles in around 53 mins. For most of this time the sun was either to our side or behind us, but from 7 miles onwards the course turned directly into it, and it was there that my problems really started. Don't know what it is (perhaps coming from Scotland!) but I really don't get on well with running in strong sunshine and, even though the air temp was reasonable, there was still heat from the sun.

So things went downhill fairly quickly. I had to do some walking between miles 8-9 and took on a lot more water at the stations than I normally would. However, once I got to 12 miles I was determined to run/jog to the finish which I managed with some difficulty.

Gallingly, despite this race being chip timed, my result hasn't appeared (those of the others I went with were all up at 15:00 so I'm not optimistic, and I'm pretty angry if it never appears) but, based on the gun vs chip time of one of the guys I went with, I know it took 90 secs to get to the start line and the time when I crossed the finish was around 2:05:40 so I'm guessing at the moment my chip time is 2:04:10. This is around 1 minute quicker than last year (and I'm a year older!!) so some comfort - its actually my third best HM out of the six I've done. Nevertheless, tinged with regret as I had been pretty confident of getting under 2 hours (I'd run 11 miles in 99 mins two weeks beforehand - under cloudy skies!) but I just couldn't cope with the sunshine.

My sore right knee was little trouble in the race (I had a support on) but was very tender afterwards. I think I'll need to get it looked at, as its four weeks since I hurt it.

Not sure where I go with HMs now - the last four have all had elements of struggle about them. I might just go back to 10ks for a while. Too soon after this one to make a decision about it.

Sorry to hear about your calf, Derm - whatever our level of running, its always tempting to keep going and keep going but sounds like your body is saying slow down for a bit.

Hope anyone else reading had a good weekend.

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Derm
    bad luck, it seems that your heart and lungs were up for it but not legs. Meanwhile enjoy the rest and your x-training.

slackdad
    As you say to do much the same time as last year can't be bad. I love the sunshine, especially when it is cold, so I can't empathise with you thereimage. But it obviously had an effect on your race. I can recommend concentrating on 10k's for a while, the training makes you a faster runner then when you want to go back to half mara's and the extra endurance that is needed you will be faster. 10k training is much like half mara training just without the longer runs.

I ran my 10k race yesterday, flat and twisty, early in the morning too, cold, no sun, but most importantly of all NO WIND. Magic. I ran a pb of 29 secs.  in 45.50 mins. That is gun to finish.

We were chipped too and my result amongst many others are at this moment in time lost. Like Stackdad, I shall be very ANGRY if my time isn't found. It means I can be ranked in Athletics's Data and that means a lot to me. Watch this space.

I was asked what my watch time was and this was taken for the results and I finished 7th Lady over all.    

• Options

Ceal

Congrats on the 10km PB at the weekend. That's a great time for 10km ! My fastest is @48 mins but would love to get near to 45minsimageMaybe this summer....well done, 7th lady also is impressive. What's the next challenge ?

Slackdad

Sounds like you had a frustrating HM. Definately need to sort the injury out. Sounds good advice from Ceal to target a 10km comeback and take it from there.

Have been resting the calf this week, it was painful to walk on for two days and a bit looser today after lots of icing. Haven;t done anything since the race...might be another few days before I get back in the gym again.

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Boing!

Just sticking my nose in since I haven't for a while.... wondering how others are doing out there. I haven't raced for nearly two years but a friend of mine said she might run the cardiff half this year (12 weeks time) which makes me wonder if perhaps that should be my motivation to maintain some decent running. I've been out 3 times a week off an on for about 2 months now and starting to get into a decent routine again after some very sporadic and mainly gym/weight training. Hmm......

Hope you are all doing well out there!

Jenx

• Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭

Hello Jen,

How good to hear from you. Yes, gal, go for the Cardiff 1/2. I think it is a pleasant race from what I have read about it. You just need to increase the distance of your longer run, maybe. You have time (12 weeks) to get there. image

I go off to Finland for the World Masters in 10 days time or do, I will be competing in the 5000 and 1500, and it will be expensive there. I have had an injury for the past 6 weeks or so, but still able to run but not do intensive training, therefore, not totally prepared for Lahti. However, as I broke/smashed the British Record for my age-group for 3000 m's and 1500 earlier this season, I am satisfied with this years performances. I am at the top end of my age-group (now 69 yrs, yuck) so to break the records was a real break through for me.  I took 9 secs off the 1500, 5:54 mins, and around 8 secs off the 3000 time which had stood since 1993!

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Hello Jen

Yes go for Cardiff - 12 weeks is plenty of time

Me, i've done 2 halfs since i last posted here Paddock Wood in April got a small pb when i didn't expect it as i had abou a month of in Feb with a calf injury. Was expecting a pb in june at Southend but it was too darn hot, foloed by a 10km 2 weeks later on a hotter day.

Concentrating now on 5kms till another marathon attempt next year brighton or London
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Oh wow!! Ceal, you are amazing!!! You continue to be an inspiration.

And Pammie - I'm so pleased that you are doing so well. It felt like a while back we were both struggling to get back into it. I'm really pleased you are in it and doing so well. I love your summer focus on the 5k series' that you seem to do quite regularly (though I may be getting confused with the LFOTM races too...). What times are you doing? We used to be about the same as I recall so I want something to aim for! (though I'm probably at least 12 months away from your times at the moment!)

I'm just at the moment thinking about swimming 22 miles for charity. A friend of ours was diagnosed with a tumour on his spine last year and it looks like he may become paralysed from the waist down despite chemo and rehab. The charity Aspire are doing a 22 miles in 12 weeks event - 22 miles being the distance swum when swimming the channel. My husband (I still LOVE saying that!) isn't a great swimmer which would make it a great challenge for us to do together... I wonder if I can build enough momentum for that and between us, get it done? I am comfortably doing 1.1 miles swimming a week at the moment - it will be more about geting the time to fit it in I think. Hmm..... that PLUS the cardiff half??

Anyone else around lurking I wonder?

• Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    Evening

Hello Jen
    Sorry to hear about your friends sounds like a good cause and a challenge but it would be worth doing if you can find the time for the training it will be worth doing

Times for me i actually reclaimed a 3½ year old pb in January got my 5km time down 24:23 sadly got injured in Feb but hope to get back under 25 again and 24 maybe 23 i daren't say anymore. Other distances are pretty carp not got back near what they should be though have done some mile races which are fun
  • Options
    cealceal ✭✭✭
    Jen
    you shouldn't have any problem swimming 2 miles a week  as you already swim one mile a week anyway.  
  • Options

Im going to do the Barcelona Marathon in March 2010 once I get the money together to book everything and got the Macclesfield Half Marathon on 27th September. Dont tell Daz and Ostrich in the sub 25 5k thread though image.

Im just coming back from an ITB injury so can sympathize with feeling slow and the frustrations that it brings. You certainly lose your fitness quickly!!

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Part of my problem is a lack of routine. Hubby's job has changed slightly over the last 12 months so routine has been out the window as he is out and about a lot more and we try to make the most of when he is around or before he is about to leave. I do now though have a vast range of activities which can keep me entertained during the week so am at a point where I can generally do something at any given time....!

I am going to try and make sure I keep posting on here though as I forgot about the motivation it can give you. I've always said that more often than not I'm out on a run thinking about how I am going to report on it on a thread!!! Sad maybe, but whatever keeps you going I say! This week I have done...

Mon: 1800m swim
    Tues: 3miles on treadmill, 1 spinning class
    Weds: Circuits class
    Thurs & Fri: Rest & Lazy
    Sat: 5 miles

Tomorrow I might do another circuits class or might just go to the gym. I am also re-installing my Garmin training Centre to motivate me in other geeky areas of my life!

Hope you have all had good training weeks. Off to a dinner party now (Come Dine With Me stylee! We're even scoring!).

Jen x

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Curcuits session done, but i did my own rather than going to a class so have saved £3.75!! I did three circuits of 15-18 minutes doing legs, arms, abs and aerobic work. Perhaps I should have done some more abs sections, but I think it was a reasonable balance.

Only 8 running miles this week then, but the 5 miler I did was a nice easy run even though if I'm honest I thought it would be tough. Next week I guess I will have to do a 6-er if I'm going to make any progress! Might do it Wednesday morning... I'm on such short distances my 'long' run can be mid-week at the moment!!

Looking forward to my swim tomorrow. Still not worked out with hubby about getting this 22 miles challenge done. While I am sure I could manage two sessions in the pool a week, I'd like to include him and it's getting the time and making sure it happens, which is the tricky bit for us. Especially if one of us is a bit less keen on something that the other, we can easily convince the other to opt out!!!

Here's to a great week everyone!

Jen x

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

OK.... plan for the week.....

Mon: 1600m swim
    Tues: 2 miles treadmill plus weights at the gym
    Weds: 6 mile run
    Thurs: Spinning class / weights at gym
    Fri: 4 or 5 mile morning run
    Sat: Run/weights/rest (might be camping!)
    Sun: Rest

Hmm.... seems a bit ambitious really, but still doesn't do much in the way of mileage does it?! Would be happy if I can get a 6 mile run in this week though. I fully expect it to take AGES though. 68 minutes? Maybe sub-65 if i am lucky! Though that is VERY unlikely!

Had a funny session at the pool this morning. I was in a hotel pool (any one else come across the Schwepps Schwim deal? Free swimming on a Monday! My most local participating pool is the Mecure House Hotel!) and using the designated lane. I warm up for a few lengths then do some hard lengths (10, 8, 8, 4) to make sure I am out of breath. Half way through my second or third set a woman tries to get my attention from the side of the pool saying she is about to get into the lane too. I didn't understand what she was trying to say and I just wanted to get on with my lengths so I made some noise to acknowledge her and carried on.

When I was done i said to her that I didn't know what was going on so apologised for what was probably a bit of blurbering. She said "well you have to share you see" and something and sharing a side or following each other in a loop and I just reiterated my non-understanding. Then I was cooling down and there was more space in the shared area of the pool so I moved over there. Not sure if she would think I was being weird or taking offence or whatever, it was entirely because there was more space elsewhere and I was being less consistent in my lengths so it made sense to be out of the lane swimming.

Anyhooo... she disappeared after about 10 lengths! it was all a bit weird. But I can't help but think she probably thought I was the odd one. But I have never known of anyone to let the swimmers know they are about to enter the lane swimming area...?!?! I know I was probably a bit all over the place, but when you have the space, you use it. That doesn't mean I am swimming blind folded and can't see if there are other people in the lane though!!

Sorry - in case you can't tell, I got a bit wound up by it. All due entirely to my own thoughts about how she was interpreting my own actions. Arg!!

Just had to get that out my system. At least it's only once a week....!

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Oh gosh... Jen is back on waffling form!
  • Options

Jen there is a pool protocol.  You swim up on one side of the length and down on the other in a clockwise fashion.  If you are faster than the person in front you tap their feet to let them know you are there and they "should" stop at the end of the length to let you go before them.  Otherwise if there is room you can just swim past them.

Hi everyone image

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Hi Rio!!!!

Yeah, I get that, but this lane is single-person-doing-breast-stroke wide... with a set of ladders on the side so there's a bit of meadinering built into the lane itself!!  It's not easy to go up one side and down the other at the best of times. My main confusion was that she felt the need to get my attention to say she was getting into the pool - it interupted what I was doing, and people don't generally let others know they are getting in the pool... do they?! I would have noticed if there was someone else in the lane and swam accordingly.

I contemplated the foot tapping but she didn't seem the type who would know it, so it was easier to swap lanes.

Training on track so far this week, though I missed the two miles on the treadmill because I forgot my trainers and had to go home to get them. Good session on my shoulders though. On some (ok - only one!) exercises I am using 7kg weights! Raarr!! And I am still aching a bit from circuits on Sunday. I'll be keeping that session in my gym bag for future reference/avoidance!

Anyone else get completely soaked through this morning? I have lost my running cap though so I cheered myself up at lunch time (and got wet again) and bought a new cap and some new socks. Need new trainers really though....

• Options

There are always those Jen.  She probably was scared by your speed so felt you might drown her!  lol

Great preparation for a mass start swim in tri though image

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

I am never going to do a Tri in open water so will never have to prepare for a mass start swim! Naughty Rio for even thinking it!!

How is your Tri career going? I'm doing a bit more bike-type work (I go to spinning calsses occasionally!) and I am swimming at least once a week, but probably won't do a try until May next year. I might start going to the Fairwater Cardiff Tri club sessions too... though I have been saying that for years!

• Options

Open water is fine.  You just start nearer the back then you don't get the bashing (well not quite as much) certainly no worse than a busy pool lane anyway.

I did IM Switzerland this year.  Loved it.  It hurt like hell (well the blisters did) but I have to do another one!  Not next year though I am going to spend some time concentrating on speeding up all disciplines and do the middle distance events.

Don't bother with Cardiff Tri.   I am going to start going to the Clams.  Only £15 per year and a couple of quid for a swim.   Cardiff Tri was about £30 per month!!  And you only go the benefit if you swam 3 times with them.,  Clams are coached too.  Monday, Wednesday and Thursday (I think though it might be Friday).  

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Hmm... no one lurking it seems. Where has everyone gone, Rio!?

Had a plesant 5-6 mile walk today (with a couple of pints along the way for good measure...!) which I am not sure would count towards any training, but the last couple of miles were quite pacey (due to excess liquid intake,,,!). Lovely afternoon indeed.

Going away for a couple of nights to a fancy hotel and going to be making the most of the facilities! Plenty of swimming and gyming planned and have booked in for a massage too! Ahhhh!!!! Got to go pack now - whoop!