Options

The Lean 'n' Mean Club Tues 3 Dec

Comments

• Options
    Hi all, no idea how I managed to post an empty thread! oops.

Sassie, thoughts with you and your family and friend.

Suzi - as the others say you could just give it a go and see how you get on. But then again you don't want to injure yourself again.

I've been looking for some (up to 10k ish) races over christmas and new year in YorkshireNorth East. Does anyone know of any?
  • Options
    Yippee I've managed to enter for the GNR. Can't wait
  • Options
    Morning all

Sassie so sorry to hear of your bad news.
    Hugs and best wishes coming your way.

Went for a four miler last night all on my own (usually make some poor soul come with me). Felt really good even though it was cold, dark, windy and raining. Managed one of my evil hills no problem - hill 2 on the way back almost did for me but I walked a bit and then got stuck in to the hardest bit at the top.

Came home absolutely shattered but feeling much better than I have done for a few days.

Does anyone else have problems with tingly legs when they go to bed? After a hard run at night followed by a bath I seem to suffer with really weird 'jumpy' legs. Is it just me? Am I odd? Anyone else have this strange syndrome?
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I must admit though, if I walked during the race I'd feel like I'd cheated. Also I don't want to be last and I would be if I didn't run all the way.
  • Options
    Confession time.
    Turned the alarm clock off this morning and didn't go to the gym...felt really tired. Think there might be a virus lingering somewhere....will my run bring it out in force tonight? We will see.

• Options
    So did I, just couldn't get out of bed for my swim but I will go running tonight, starting trainign for the GNR.

The rest of the office think i'm odd.
  • Options
    Tulips there is the Stoop 5 miler in Keighly 22nd Dec and the Jolly Holly Jog 10K in Ripon on the 29th? (I think). I was considering doing the second one but I am not sure if 2 races in 4 days is a bit much As I am running on Boxing day in 'Sunny Lancashire' while at me Mam's over Crimbo. (the JHJ is no entry on the day so if an unexpected seasonal booze occurs the night before then you have wasted your money)
    Check out the events search engine, just put in the north and look for December and Jan I think there are some more.
  • Options
    I've been for a lunch time run (neh neh ni neh neh).

I am one of the laziest 'runners' around so if I can get out and run anyone can - you are all stars, go twinkle in your firmaments

Nick
  • Options
    Sassie - all the very best wishes to your family and friends, I hope something positive comes out of it all.

On am more everyday note, todays run reminded me how much knees, calves and hip joints can hurt when they are shocked into action again. Contemplating a NYD 10k but just hoping that all the creaking joints hang together as I'm increasing the mileage etc.

Yesterday's weigh in was a fluke as miraculoously I lost 3lb after a bottle of wine (and a bit) last nite. So +ve +ve +ve
  • Options
    hiya fit folk

nothing much to report - not managed to make or break my resolutions yet - going to go to training early tonite to run for 20 -30 mins

just had porridge for brunch - not had any for 4 days! still hungry tho - think im still buzzing from the weekend!

best wishes to eveyone

Sassie - sorry to hear you have had bad news
  • Options
    Hi Sassie - Sorry to hear your news. Lots of best wishes to you, your family and your friend.

Liz
    X
  • Options
    Just been out to do some dynamic upper-body weights, aka getting enough cleaning equipment to last the surgery for a year, and enough UHT milk to last about a month. Also bought lots of nice new Christmas decorations (mostly non-breakable since I don't know what the cats will be like around a Christmas tree) and couldn't resist popping a loaf of soda bread and some Shropshire blue cheese into the trolley. Now have an awful feeling that I shall eat until it's all gone, which will be slightly over one day's recommended calorie intake for someone of my size and activity level in one meal. Ah, well. It's protein, carbs and calcium. Can't be all bad.
  • Options
    vrap - my cats love the boubells (Sp??) so they have to have them all year round. Last year they broke into a cupboard and got to the top shelf (about 6 foot up) and opened their christmas presents. I wasn't too happy to find wrapping and cat treats all over the hall and two slightly fatter but very happy cats.
  • Options
    Our last pair of cats loved the tree when they were kittens, but became too old and lazy to be bothered with it. Tizzy and Tinka are a bit friskier and Tinka seeks out dangly things to play with so I think we may be in for problems this year. Not to mention the fact that the two smaller children don't know the difference between the words "ornament" and "toy" yet (doesn't usually matter because we don't have gew-gaws on our shelves except at Christmas).
  • Options
    Vrap, what are gew-gaws? That's a new one on me!

We aren't having a tree this Christmas, as we are away for the whole fortnight, so we won't know how the cats (only rescued from Feline Cat Rescue last June) would react, but as Molly is a little barrell(sp?), weighing about four stone (OK, not quite that much!) I'm quite glad! I just know that Georgie would be up at the top though, playing with the star - she's Trouble!

• Options
    Robert Graves uses the word "gew-gaws" in "Claudius the God", so it must be a real word. In the context he uses it, it means trinkets, baubles, sparkly jewellery, stuff like that. I've extrapolated it to cover the whole range from smiling resin Forever Friends characters and little frogs made out of seashells through Lladro geese and Royal Doulton debutantes all the way to Faberge eggs and Cartier candlesticks. Pretty, but not for the likes of us. A bit like Ghost dresses and Manolos.
  • Options
    Oops, hit button too quickly. Are you going somewhere exciting, Stumpy?
  • Options
    just been to Fitday to update my weight loss goals and clicked on a calculate your BMI banner - so as usual egotistical curiosity got the better of me ( one of my more pleasant feline qualities!) and i got diverted to the US Zenical site ! -good BMI table there tho - but get three months supply free - naughty!
  • Options
    Ullapool, north west Scotland, a little cottage on the shore of Loch Broom, just me and the Mr for 2 weeks. :-)

Depends on your point of view as to whether its exciting or not, but for me its just a little bit of heaven! Two weeks with no phones, no work, no hassle - just food, booze, the Mr, running, walking and sleeping!

We went up last year too, though just for Christmas, and had a fab time, with loads of snow, (which made it feel like a REAL christmas), though the drive home was very slow as a result! It was the first time we'd been away rather than doing the rounds of family and friends, and enjoyed it so much we thought we'd do it all again.

Anyone else going away?
  • Options
    I wish!

sounds idyllic Stumpy!
  • Options
    Did you take up the three months' free Xenical offer, Bune? Cos if so, remind me to put rubber sheets on the chairs before I invite you round for Christmas dinner.

Sounds idyllic, Stumpy. Every year we say we'll rent a cottage somewhere scenic with no room for grandparents, aunties, friends and patients and hide away for Christmas. And each year we don't. My sister and her husband always put the shutters down around Christmas and nobody gets to go near them. We've got the entire quota of grandchildren for both sides of the family, so we get to do the family-Christmas stuff. Love it really!
  • Options
    Absolutely NOT VRap - doesnt it do unspeakable things along the line of loose fatty stools - sound like a cross between rick waller and a breakout from a pine furniture warehouse! lookout the stools are loose again! ;-}}}

there are worse things than being fatish and that sounds like a definite one!
  • Options
    It is strange not to be surrounded by family, but last year we phoned everyone, and we had the mobiles with us so people could call us if they wanted to, but we avoided all the stress and arguing!

This year we're having two weeks as we haven't really had a break because work has been hectic, and because the office closes between Christmas and New Year we will only miss about three days - seemed too good an opportunity to pass up!

I think to do it every year the gloss could rub off, but as a change, its great! Christmas dinner was a little interesting in a strage kitchen, equipped to cope with people on holiday so few pots and pans, but there were no complaints so it can't have been too bad!
  • Options
    rofl @ bune!

STOOLS: they could be on the loose near YOU

remember - no PRUNE, no DOOM

;)
  • Options
    BBB - thinking about Jolly race cheers but not too sure yet. I'll have a look at the keithley race.

Off running soon as I get hope from work. Have a good evening all.

T
  • Options
    Thanks for all the kind thoughts everyone. Plan a run in the morning. Took a plant and card over to my friend today, but she and her husband were out. Mother is just being mother, and treating the prospect of another cancer operation as though it was a minor detail!
  • Options
    Your mother is privileged, Sassie. She doesn't need to worry because she's got you to do it for her.
  • Options
    Hi all

Big virtual hugs to Sassie.

Stumpy, your christmas sounds wonderful, I'm planning a country house christmas next year for all friendly family.

Won't be on much today and tomorrow as Mr J is renovating my office for christmas ( it's the spare bedroom as well)

Saw optomitrist today and was warned off running for another week as I have a small bruise on my eye that hasn't healed yet.

talk later.

JJ