Options

Sat 19th March 2005

2»

Comments

• Options
    Melissa - Well done on the 17, when do you start your taper?

Been marshalling this morning for the Network 5 with my 2 boys & lots of jelly babies. Very nice in the sunshine, runners got some JBs, quite a few were tested by the mini-marshalls!

Rest day today, and again tomorrow. Tough work this tapering...
  • Options
    tiny tiatiny tia ✭✭✭
    Hi all

what: 5 miles in the forest
    why: gonna take tomorrow as rest day so needed to run today despite that heavy feelin due to TOTM:(

Not sunny today, like yesterday, but not cold atall so saw quite alot of runners in the forest:)Sometimes it's "Dag" othertimes it's "Bonjour" I just opt for a cheery "Hi!"
  • Options
    Hi all, pleased to announce I have left "the bench".

phew , that was a close one venom, just check the small print for clauses about cold baths excluding warranty!

FF - what a photo - reminds of many a student jape!!

OR - good luck in yr debut HM. Also to clink and otehrs racing tomorrow.

me? Lurgy seemd to finaly leave on Tuesday whilst I was away so unable to run until Thurs - 2 weeks off!! :-(. Mnaaged about 65 mins steady - all sorts of creaky joints and blistered toes and a severe case of DOMS on friday. An hours orineteering this morning in beautiful sunshine. A slight hiccup when I missed control #2 and found #3 at the top of the hill and had to run a quick descent/ascent - but not too bad after that. Now trying to decide if 15 miles possible tomorrow!

See I share a BD with Wabo and Mrs 90 mins. C'mon you Irish!!

• Options
    Afternoon all,

Sunshine and blue skies here in Calgary, just the small matter of the -14c temp and 'ice crystals' to deal with.

No running for me anyway, Mrs CTM has headed off with T1 for a day of skiing near Banff. I'm at home with T2 watching ManU vs Fulham and teaching T2 to tie his new running shoes (first ones with laces). I can't help thinking I've drawn the shorter straw somehow ;)

No sign of the WC XC on the TV here sadly.

What: 10K on the C2 @ 70% of WHR
    Why: Looking after T2 and it's too cold for him to accompany on my run on his bike.

Have a good day all.

• Options
    Plumber been and gone - was quite easy to fix (basically a loose connection). Now we just have to worry about getting all the water damage repaired - what a hassle.

It is a lovely day out there. Bit too hot actually, I hope it's cooler for my race tomorrow. And for me it's been shorts weather all winter, only wore longs twice, guess my legs are good at keeping themselves warm :-)

5 miles d&d, felt good. Looking forward to tomorrow, will hopefully be a good indication of my marathon potential. Good luck to all other racers - anyone else here doing Oakley?
  • Options
    Hi All,

What: Rest
    Why: Akworth half tommorrow
    Last Hard: 9 days
    Last rest: Thursday

Have fun all racers tommorrow!
  • Options
    ps..posting from my sisters in North Cave..It's gone cold again brrrrrrrr
  • Options
    Not been on forum for over about 2 weeks no running to report of any value But a do or die day race tomorrow a 1/2 marathon not one I want to do but training partner forcing me into it:-(

I am afraid confidence is at an all time low!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Micksta: C. Dale did not start, had a last minute injury.

Kenenisa was running really deteremined and won the short course title in style, his seventh consecutive individual XC gold medal!
  • Options
    Back from the Figsbury Challenge- taped the World XC so I'm trying to post without reading anything on here that will give away the results!

Frustrating result for me though- after establishing a comfortable 3rd place on the nasty climb up to Figsbury Ring, I managed to take a wrong turning, lost about 5 places and decided to just jog the descent back to the finish rather than killing myself trying to catch up. Ended up 10th overall.

The race was won by our club's leading 15 year old, fresh from an unbeaten cross-country season in the Wessex League and a run of good performances in the Reebok series, National Schools X/C etc! One to watch for the future- I've never been beaten by a 15 yr old before!!!

Ok.....off for an easy 5 to recover now.

• Options
    URR - am stretching the ITB for an hour or so a day. every oportunity i get!

OR - well fingers crossed ... early days yet. But the rest definitly let my knee gain some strength. 4 days is the longest brea i've had this year from exercise i think.

Good luck with HM PB tomorrow!
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Well done ne! 15 year olds should be beating us over short distances really, but I bet he'd be nowhere near you over 10 miles.
  • Options
    nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭
    good evening and

good running to all in races tomorrow.

a lovely day today
    what: 22 and a bit miles (2h55)
    why: get the long run done

i need some serious advice about digestive systems...i'll save my thoughts for next week
  • Options
    2 days of rest, and my leaden legs feel sooooo much better. Looking forward to tomorrow at Bath. I spent a lot of time today pining to go for a run. Didn't want to jeapordise tomorrow though.

Well done to NE, 3rd or 10th out of how many? It sounds like a good enough result anyway.

• Options
    Evening,

Phew, what a day its been.Race report coming up, so be warned, get yourself a nice cup of tea.

Well done to ASN and Melissa for the long runs today, and to the few running at Rhayader.Also to NE, very noble to let a 15 year old beat you.

What-20 mile trail race(report below)

Why-A pre London must event this one.

Last Hard-Mmmm, today i think.

Last rest-2 days.

Compton Downland 20 Miler Race Report

First thing to say is that the ankle got through it in one piece, no obvious problems so far so that looks good.
    This race is a classic in our area,fantastic off road route, a good few hills for me, superb drink stops in the middle of nowhere supplied with cakes etc, and even a meal in the school canteen at the end for all runners,its got it all.Not bad for 12 quid.
    Definitely shorts and vest weather today, and was pretty warm by the end,my face caught a bit of the sun, so i'm glad i wasn't tempted to join the other nutters running the 40 mile option.
    Started off steadily with the aim of treating it as a decent paced training run, but within a mile the guy leading had shot off and i found myself in a group of around 7 or 8 holding positions 2 to 9.Not really what i'd had in mind for the run but there you go,you can only do your own thing and just get on with it.
    By 6/7 miles the first of the hills were kicking in and our group whittled down to 4.I still felt fine,but was conscious that the guys around seemed like they wanted to keep pushing it on so i did my own thing again and dropped off them before re-catching them all at the next set of hills at 11/12 miles.
    By now the day was hotting up,so i made a definite effort to get on board all the fluids i could even if it meant stopping for 30 secs at the drinks stops,i was glad of that later on.
    A couple more of the blokes in our little group paid for their earlier optimistic pace and fell away,leaving just the 2 of us together in 2nd and 3rd places at around 14 miles.On reflection, we had a good little duel from there on in.Each slight climb we came to i would build a gap, and then each time he'd close me down after half a mile on the flat again.Bit of a bugger for then that the last few miles are mainly downhill, and sure enough he took off to a 70 or 80 metre gap.
    With 2 miles to go it was stinking hot, and as hard work as it would've been anyway we were hammering along,but the gap didn't really and i wasn't too arsed about trying to catch him so i settled on 3rd place.Earlier in the run he'd been slighlty ahead of our group adn gone off course before we shouted him back, so all in all he'd probably run 400 m longer than me,so i don't begrudge him that,it seemed only fair he got 2nd.
    Anyway, i finished in 2.14.53, and picked up some beer for my prize so you can't complain at that.Then got home in time to watch the World XC and 3 games of rugby,so not a bad day.The beers never stood a chance.

Good luck everybody for tomorrow.
  • Options
    I must be tired.Spotted half a dozen errors already!Hopefully it still makes some sense.
  • Options
    Evening

Sounds like a nice day's work AM

Looking at your picture - think I could have managed that trick myself first thing this morning FF.

Ran a few errands, gave the garden its first real (manual) mow of the year and caught most of the rugby. Managed to get out for a short quick burst (as planned) just before the England-Scotland game.
    Needed lots of warmup though - very stiff to begin with.
    2 x 1 mile efforts, sandwiching a 1/3rd mile jog recovery: 5:48½ - 2:35 - 5:48

Fairly happy with that - will be ready to start banking some mile interval sessions from the end of next week I think.

Looking forward to a nice long easy outing in (hopefully) warm sunshine tomorrow.
  • Options
    btw - well done NE despite the wrong turning - also M on your 12 minute PB
  • Options
    Well done Anders- 20 miles in this weather deserves a few beers and some decent rugby on the TV!

Thanks for the congrats hilly, Mike, blisters and Anders. Looks like there's more than one 15 year old out there capable of leaving the rest of us behind after seeing Emily Pidgeon's performance at the World X/C- 20th place at her first attempt- impressive!!!

• Options
    Evening all,
    well not my planned session but at least it was still a quick one! Friends popped in all afternoon, by the time they left, really had lost my motivation for a tough hill session! but I went out anyway and did the following:

8-reps of an off-road incline in my local park, around 200-250m in length and jogged the otherside back down for a recovery, would have liked to have done 10-12, but on my 8th rep, I lost speed, so thought better to save what I had and fight another day!

still managed a very powerfull and useful sprint at the finish though which was nice! so about 10miles total for the day and heading for an 80miles week! nice!

URR:
    Yep, miss Dale was injured, not sure what yet though. Bekele was great though, I feel so pleased for him to have won that race, and also young Emily Pigeon did well for team GB juniors :)

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    What : Cycling road race - quite fast - about 26mph average for 32miles. Finished OK - got stuck behind a big pile up on the last lap so couldn't try and contest the sprint but doubt I'd have got anywhere in it anyway - otherwise rode round OK in the bunch without doing any work at the front. As is often the way with these lower cat races the first 2 were sponsored juniors (sort of 18year oldish) who should really be racing at a higher level. Loads of crashes throughout the race.

Wales did well didn't they - I'm not a rugby fan at all but I thought they made the game look quite interesting - unlike the English who won the world cup.
  • Options
    anders
    lovely report

must chek out slowest runer-quite fancy this one day
  • Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭
    AM - great report and well done!

I've just emerged briefly from under a pile of packing boxes - I'd forgotten how moving gets in the way of life!

What: 6 miles yesterday and 3 today
    Why: marathon training
    Last hard: sunday's race
    Last rest: wednesday

I must go to bed soon - I'm planning 21 tomorrow.

Good luck to all racers for tomorrow.