Options

Training session-- Weds 22nd

2»

Comments

• Options
    Martin -

sorry, should have been a bit more liberal with the emoticons. electronic irony just never works.

actually I'm at a loss to understand why we still have miles when we're supposed to have gone metric. I much prefer kilometres whether in the car or running races - they slip by so much faster. ;-)
  • Options
    I think being born in the mid 70's - i have to automatically think in both miles an km, kg & st. etc

i think i truly prefer miles - 42.1 sounds a lot of km
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all.

Minkin-sorry to hear about your knee, take care of it and doing a little less for a while won't hurt.

FF-hope the foot gets better soon.

Anyone else with niggles take care and hope they soon mend!

What: either 10 miles @ marathon pace or rest day

Why: have family commitments this afternoon so might have to have rest day today and run tomorrow. We'll see.

Last hard: yesterday's speed session
    Last rest: Thursday
  • Options
    Like Godzilla born in the 70's and I have to think in both miles and km, gallons and litres, ounces and kilograms and the consequence of this ...... I have no ability to judge distance, fluid measurement or weight!! I was in Tesco's the other day and had to ask if 500ml was half a pint (noted down the wrong quantities for the receipe I was cooking).

Any road up I've done three marathons (two in Berlin one in London) and pacing to the kms was so much easier as they slipped by so (well relatively) quickly.
  • Options
    Of course achilles I was just having a good natured dig at the brits :)

I do find metric much better for pacing e.g. 40 minute 10k = 4 mins per km rather than 6:23 per mile (or whatever). Plus we have a lot of 20k races here in Germany as opposed to half marathon which makes it a lot easier to break 1:30!

Mind you 26 miles or 42 k its a marathon is still a long way!
  • Options
    Morning all. (assuming this now lands at the top of the page)That is well weird and could wreak havoc with the exchanges on the forum. I can only assume it's a by-product of Horvill training - you eventually get there before you start. The you'll know you've arrived, so to speak.

Anyway, I was expecting Nick to come back with several reasons why 2000 m intervals have minimal physiological benefit compared with mile reps.

• Options
    Won't say any more as I know how tetchy Brits get about their beloved imperial measures.
  • Options
    what : club night - not sure what
    why : marathon training resumes after 2 rest days following sunday's 1/2M.
    last hard : sunday
    last rest : yesterday

legs still a little stiff so could be towards the back of the group tonight. Never mind tho'.
  • Options
    You have to run more kms tham miles to do the same distance. I prefer having to do 3miles not 5kms but i wish my gym would have treadmills in mph not kmph.

What: 40min tempo run
    Why: shedule says so
  • Options
    Totally weird - the time jumping's going on over on the over-60s thread too.

Like MartinH, I find it odd that Blighty still doesn't consider itself European, but it's located in Europe and always has been!
    Anyway, back to the topic of this thread!

What: 1 hour cross-training on the indoor bike.
    Why: time constraints, it's Pack Leader's birthday and I have to take him out to dinner.
    Last hard; yesterday's 13km including 12 x 30 secs up a hill.
    Last rest: Friday.
  • Options
    Evening all

What: Hill session on treadmill 15 mins warm up then 10 lots of 2 minutes at 8% incline and ca 11.7 km/h. Total run 12.5 km in about 72 mins with very steady warm up and warm down.

Why: Part of marathon programme

Last hard: Sunday's long run

Last rest: Monday

Simon
  • Options
    Heyas

What: HRmax test on treadmill

Why: To find my max HR(!) so I can work out my training HR rates - predicted using formula=198bpm, actual HRmax=208bpm

Last Hard: Saturday (75mins)

Last Easy: Tuesday (yesterday)

Jonny
  • Options
    What: 8km on the treadmill, starting slow, getting faster each km (averaged out at about 4.7 mins/km - thats 7.5 mins/mile for you reactionary imperial types!)

Of course we are European, and of course kms, mm, kg, litres make more sense. I was actually born in the 50s (just) and have to admit that I find imperial measurements difficult to cope with - I usually think metric and translate as necessary.
  • Options
    what: 5km xtrain speedy session - stumpy legs going like a steam train

why: in a rush

last hard: yesterday

last rest: monday
  • Options
    4 miles"steady"
    Which means 4 miles in 44 mins
    humph
  • Options
    HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Managed to fit in mt 10 miles. I was flying along for the first 5 wondering why it felt so easy (35.50) at this pace. Then turned round to come back and boy did I hit the wind head on! 2 steps forward and 1 back for the whole return 5 miles, it was horrid and took 5 mins longer than the first half. I really didn't realise that I was having such a wind assisted first half. Oh well, it was suppose to be marathon pace anyhow not 1/2 marathon.

I don't mind rain or cold, but I hate strong wind!
  • Options
    What: 10 x 600, starting in 2:10's cranking down to 2:00's, 150m jog recoveries
    Why: Abreviated club session due to the absence of the team captain to whip us into line! (Slackers...)
    Last Hard: Today/Sunday
    Last Rest: Monday
  • Options
    I think im gonna start a training thread on beginners
  • Options
    Hi all,

Prefer kms myself on runs ... they go faster ! Easier to pace yourself too.

What: 17 km slowish run home from work .... Thames was higher than expected so got wet feet on the tow path in a couple of places(darned if I was going to turn back and go a long way round) which went well with the head wind, rain, darkness etc. Petzl head torch with new Halogen bulb worked a treat.

Why:- Good question
    Last hard:- Sunday
    Last rest:- Monday

• Options
    Intended 5 miles turned into a desperately weary 4 mile effort in 31:22. Think I need some more rest......
  • Options
    Ooh hippo, don't do that, these folks need us to balance them out, otherwise heaven knows they'll on average run too fast and something awful will happen to them. We're needed here.

(Besides which, reading their reports is utter fantasy, and each day I get a strange amusement from imagining I've got a schedule which includes recovery runs at 6:50 pace!! It's fun!)
  • Options
    And with this iron age computer, I'm unlike to try both to read this training thread and a new one for the likes of me.
  • Options
    Besides which, while there may be excellent reasons why my local running club finds my company to slow, surely I'm not holding anybody back posting my two bits here.

See you tomorrow - all well I'm running then.
  • Options
    Thankyou stickless
    point taken

sometimes i just feel intimidated
    its stupid, we all have different abilities, i know, but still
  • Options
    What; 2.00hrs on the dot of the hilliest part of SE london, (at one stage I was so high I was looking for snow)
    Why; Needed that confidence booster of 2 hrs under my belt nice and early
    Last Hard Tuesday speed session
    Last rest: monday
  • Options
    What: Easy 1hr 45min run
    Why: Its on the schedule of course.
    Last hard: Yesterday Zatopek speed session.
    Next hard session: tomorrow but i may move it to Friday and do my long run instead as i'm away for the weekend and i don't trust myself to do a long run in an area i don't know.
  • Options
    Don't do that please hippo, then we'd all have to start deciding where we fitted in, plump for the beginner thread out of intimidation and that would leave only 3 people on here.

Anyway, you're training very consistently despite high pressure job and that's inspiring and useful for others to see. Don't underestimate your ability.