Options

Searching for Triathlon beginners

Comments

• Options
    If he likes motorbikes he'll love matlock on a bank holiday.
  • Options
    I'm the biker Stump! He won't go near.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Options
    Barley - don't use that sentence on your CV or in your interview!
  • Options
    lol Hollywood, no ill lie on my CV.

Actually my jobs more managerial I dont need to know much of the technical there are technical people that do that.
  • Options
    Hi

I am still considering doing a tri (have done one for charity but it wasn't competitive) can anyone recomend any for next year that are beginner friendly?? thanks
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Hello peeps....glad I stumbled upon this thread.

I've been running for a few years now, and have done 3 marathons, and lots of HMs. I'm unfortunately rather injury prone and recently have got into swimming as a means of staving off insanity when unable to run.

I would love to do a triathlon at some point, and sadly have a hankering to ultimately do an ironman. Will need to wait until I have the time needed to commit to this however, so definitely not this year.

The phobias that have stopped me so far are:

1. I've done virtually no cycling at all. I own a mountain bike which i used when i lived in Cambridge, but I'm too afraid to go out on it now due to the traffic where i live :o(
    2. The cycling I have done was astonishingly slow when I timed it.
    Quite pleased to hear that using a MTB is acceptable though
    3. I'm probably an OK swimmer. Learned to do crawl 18 months ago. Not too speedy - about 50m/min sort of speed. Can't do tumble turns either. Can swim 'forever' though - regularly swim 1.5 - 2 miles, and did 4 miles last Sunday without any bother.
    Open water swimming however - a very scary thought indeed.
    4. What to wear???? I am definitely NOT going to run in public in some skimpy tight-fitting lycra trisuit!!
    5. Transition. Help.
    6. I can't even pluck up the courage to join a running club let alone a tri club.

I know some of these fears are silly. I absolutely love running, but when i first started that I was too embarrassed to even run outside unless it was dark so noone would notice me. Needless to say I have got over that!

Anyway, I'll be following this thread in the hope I will pluck up the courage to get out there and give this a go!
  • Options
    Hi K9,

I've just done my first tri, so may be able to help.

I chose a beginner friendly tri up here, where a 1/3 of the people doing it were novices. It might be worth choosing the event carefully.

1. I used a mountain bike, as did lots of other people. Didn't feel out of place at all.
    2. I was pretty slow as well, got overtaken by quite a few road bikes, but also by another person on a MTB.
    3. Again, lots of people were doing breast stroke. I think the swimming for most sprint tri's is indoors, and the one I did they set you off a minute apart, so I was the only one in my lane. Tumble turns (I wish!).
    4. I wore lycra shorts from Decathlon which were fine for the swim, you could also where swimshorts I suppose. My wife bought a pair of tri shorts (for £25) which gave her a bit more padding for the cycle ride.
    5. Don't panic, it's not too difficult. Just quickly dry off, pop on your cycling top, helmet, put on your socks and shoes and you're done.

The main thing I found is the second transition where you start running after cycling. Let's just say it's a very interesting experience.

I liked it so much, I've already signed up for my second.
  • Options
    I still reckon that I'll do a triathlon some time, it's the swimming part that puts me off at the moment.
    I don't see me doing one until I've done this though 3 Peaks, 2 Legs and a Bike.
    Of course after that I might not like cycling any more!

Colin
  • Options
    K9...

I did my first sprint tri last year and (as you know) have done heaps this year including some longer races...

1. I'm afraid traffic is a problem on the bike... talk to people (including forumites) near where you live for recommendations of where to cycle and definitely err on the side of caution when out training. There are also some googlemap websites appearing now with routes marked on them - like bikely.com)

2. Don't worry too much about the cycle speed - there are some amazingly fast cyclists out there but there are plenty of slower peeps too. If you are on your MTB then consider changing to slicker, narrower tyres to help with reducing rolling resistance - but definitely don't be put off entering a sprint or oly length tri with an MTB - plenty of people do! Also don't worry about things like special bike shoes... these can come much later if (when) you are enjoying tri.

3. Since you're clearly loving swimming forever, then I highly recommend you try open water at some point - you can hire wetsuits for about 25 quid a year (or right now is a good time to pick up one secondhand) and the feeling of OW swimming is incredible (and you don't have to worry about tumble turns!)

4. Learn to love lycra!

5. Transition is actually quite simple to do... just set up your gear first, then relax and don't rush too much in transition... All you have to do is put your number, shoes and helmet on in T1. And in T2 you just have to put your bike and helmet away. See the transition video on this site - http://sports.expertvillage.com/interviews/triathlons.htm

6. I haven't plucked up the courage to join a tri club either! But actually our local club seems dead friendly... and the local run club has lots of triafferletes involved... and you could always just join the virtual Pirates club here on the forum - it is not just for IronMen!

From what I know of your run speed, you are going to have an absolute ball in the last bit of the triathlon :-)

(<Subliminal>Think about doing Bala next year...Think about doing Bala next year...Think about doing Bala next year...</Subliminal>)
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Hollywood!!

Bala strangely tempting
  • Options
    K9 - the 'oops' was my husband posting as me (he does that sometimes, not that I'm worried, yet:-) I can agree with everything he said though other than that I did buy a pair of tri shorts and swam in those and my sportsjock bra. For the transition he laughed at me carefully laying everything out - helmet on handlebars, shirt over that, towel over that, towel on floor with lots of talc on, socks with talc in, shoes next to socks, but once he saw me glide throug the transition:-) he decided that I might have been quite sensible really. It was fantastic fun and I want to do another soon and we are considering a middle distance next year and I'd love to do an ironman one day too.......You'd be much faster than me at just about every discipline I guess but I wasn't last and starting the faster people later meant that there was always company (even if that involved people whooshing past me on the cycle). Find a local sprint and just go for it!
  • Options
    K9K9 ✭✭✭
    I did wonder why 'little miss happy' referred to his wife!

Thanks for the encouragement...I'll definitely be giving it a go soon - and then I'll probably be hooked. i'm sure it's a much less injury-prone sport, at least for me, as I'd not be running constantly.
  • Options
    If you fancy 'having a go' at a triathlon, come and be a pirate in Stratford next May.

It's beginner-friendly, with a pool swim; it does have its share of bronzed tri-gods and -goddesses, but is also populated by all sorts of normal people on a wide variety of bikes.

There will be lots of Pirate support there (and we'll be cheering for you if you get over to the PIRATE RACE KIT thread on 'Tri' and order a monaco or suchlike)

Well, what are you waiting for?

:o)
  • Options

To repeat :o)

If you fancy 'having a go' at a triathlon, come along to Stratford On Avon Sprint Triathlon Sunday 13th May 2007 and be a pirate in Stratford next May.

It's beginner-friendly, with a pool swim; it does have its share of bronzed tri-gods and -goddesses, but is also populated by all sorts of normal people on a wide variety of bikes.

There will be lots of Pirate support there (and we'll be cheering for you if you get over to the PIRATE RACE KIT thread on 'Tri' and order a monaco or suchlike)

Well, what are you waiting for?

Over 20 people have their names down already
  • Options
    Just thought i'd say hi as for some reason I like the idea of doing a tri.

I started running this year (for race for life)but lost motivation afterwards due to having no goal. So, not being the best runner in the world but being a mountain biker and ex swimmer maybe a tri next spring is a good thing to work towards!

Got a bit of work to do first (5km takes 35 mins and I could do with loosing a couple of stone but hey, at least I managed 1500m in 40 mins in the pool last night :)

Little Miss Happy - Have you ever gone to any of the Derby tri club sessions? I've had a look at their website but want to get a bit fitter first!

Sorry for the esssay

Fi
  • Options
    Ona I haven't no, much more of a runner than a tri person myself really. My swimming is carp and a tri was a good way of stopping me running too much when recovering from injury (mind you, that seems to be a process that is somewhat long winded and still on-going). I do have a shiny road bike now though that I should find the time to ride at least once a week - but don't seem to - and I'd like to improve my swimming but am very cowardly about going to new places where I know no-one and am likely to be the slowest/not understand the jargon/have awful technique etc etc.
  • Options
    Stratford is nice and has a really warm 33 metre pool I recall.

Never done a Tri, I want one of those Pirate kits and I can't get the link to work.

How do I get a Pirate kit and where on earth is the entry info please. Then, if you'll have me, I'll join the crew for a laugh.

The kit'll be worth any place but I do feel I ought to earn it!

Advice please?
  • Options
    Hi,

Can any one tell me if there is a lower age limit for entry in the fun one as my daughter (14yrs ) and I are thinking about it.

Thanks,

Sarah
  • Options
    Hi,

Have found out that for Stafford there is a min age 15 at Dec 2007./
    Kat will be 15 in July 2007 so I think this means she would be ok.

Need to dust the bikes off and hunt out my swimsuit!

Sarah
  • Options
    Pirate kit order thread

Anyone can order kit and become a Pirate...simple as putting your name on the list and having your email enabled so that you can be sent payment details. Ask any questions regarding kit on this thread or the Stratford Tri thread... :o)

Stratford Tri website...you can enter online.

and the Stratford Tri thread again...
  • Options
    Crashie - whats a monaco. i have a full tri suit and tri shorts. looking to order some pirate kit and was looking for shorts and possibly vest top. is the monaco the cycling top with pockets in the back
  • Options
    The pirate monaco is a sleeveless tri top with a half-zip and a small pocket at the back. This year's monaco is a little bit longer than last years so there will be less belly on show.

I'll see if I can find a pic of someone wearing one.......
  • Options
    The model on the right is wearing a pirate skin suit, basically and all in one, i.e. similar to monoco and shorts would be if joined together :o)
  • Options
    It's not compulsory to have on leg amputated just below the knee either, though this pirate seemed to think it was a good idea :o)

[http://www.louisgarneau.com/eng/ctm_catalog.asp?catalogue=C7]Pirate Monaco...the rest of the kit comes from LG too, so have a rummage on the site...
  • Options
    Try again Pirate Monaco...the rest of the kit comes from LG too, so have a rummage on the site...
  • Options
    Just found out we can`t go to Stratford but think we will be doing the south coast one. I love the seaside and it is not sucha long bike ride.
    Think me and Kat (will be 15 then) will do the fun on Sat and my hubby will do Classic on Sun. Am bit worried about swimming in the sea though.

Kat maybe doing a Duathalon before then though in November. Can she wear pirate kit for this?

Sarah
  • Options
    Absolutely. Anyone who wants to be a pirate can be a pirate. Buy the kit, wear it with pride...remember to have fun (for that's the pirate way)