Options

'Official' Guide to Cheating at Races

13»

Comments

• Options
    WA I have just had a thought (rare I know but I did)and am now at peace with my incredible slowness
    This thread is your way of saying "look, when you are r*nning along and can't see anyone in front of you anymore it's because there isnt anyone they are all hiding in the bushes/down the pub/having a cup of tea?"

:o)

Please don't point out that the people that finish before me are down the pub/having a shower/eating/supping tea/driving home/having a chat while I am still plodding ;o)
  • Options
    EP
    In case of alex he will be having a pie.

MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmm pies!
  • Options
    TT you didn't notice the bit that said 'Please don't point out' :o(
    but now that you have thanks for the tip off, I am formulating a new plan now.

Formulating? thats a word I havent used in monkeys ages
  • Options
    M.ister WM.ister W ✭✭✭
    Blenheim 10k
    This does a single big loop then repeats about 1km of the loop again before turning back to the finish. Disappear into the bushes after about 1km. Reappear as the runners return and run back to the finish

Distance saved - 8km
    Get away with it factor - 9/10
  • Options

"they are all hiding in the bushes"

Lol ! We have all been sussed :-(

• Options
    Yep sussed, so that huge marathon that loads of people signed up for, the one in London, they are all stuffed, no bushes there and cameras recording everyones slightest move.
  • Options
    In any race all you need to do is to line up near the front, then crouch down to tie your shoe-lace. Swop your chip with a very fast runners, and then impress people with your excellent new PB.
  • Options
    Finish photos would be fun to sort out!

Look im the 3rd guy photographed...so why does your chip show you came 357th!
  • Options
    FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Great Yarmouth 10k. Two laps, first half of each lap runs straight along the sea wall.

Start...after a few hundred yards nip slightly to the right and hide behind the ice cream stall, wait until runners come round for next lap.

Distance saved 5k, plus you can eat an ice cream while you're waiting.

• Options
    Cardiff 1/2 mara

Enter stadium with number covered. Proced to basement/carpark....jump out and run into stadium finish.

Distance saved 13 miles!
    8/10 to get away with it(depending on how big you nerve is)
  • Options
    Cardiff mara

Enter stadium with number covered. Proced to basement/carpark....jump out and run into stadium finish.

Distance saved 26.2 miles!
    8/10 to get away with it(depending on how big your nerve is)
  • Options
    Windsor Half:

Option 1:

Start up the first mile at the very back of the run, then when the elites come round finishing their second "Longer" lap just speed up and come in just behind them. They used to have a timing mat at furthest point for this but it wasn't there this year...

distance saved 7 miles
    Get away with it factor - 9.5/10

Option 2: Paint yourself grey and sit very still next to the statue at mile 1 mile 12 point, then when they all run by tuck in behind them and claim "First home in fancy dress" prize.

Love this thread.
  • Options
    Alton Downland challenge
    Run out of sports field on to the road, up the road, duck into bus stop on the right and wait until all r*nners have passed. Nip out and find a muddy puddle to stomp around in splash some up your kit. Find a branch to whack yourself in the face to prove you didnt see the low branch either, grab some stinging nettles and brambles to drag across your legs and then duck back into the bus stop and wait for the r*nners to go passed again, join in and discuss injuries when back across the finish line.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Love this thread!

I had the option of getting a dishonest prize at the Glasgow Half last year. I was asked how old I was as I finished. Had I lied, I was going to be awarded first junior home. Sadly, I admitted I was 27. I'm sure I will be glad that I can still pass for 16 at some stage...
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    In terms of the real substance of this thread:

Bristol Half no longer seems to have a chip mat at the end of the out and back (Portway). But maybe they figure that they only need it every other year: a climate of uncertain fear ensures caution and compliance!

Dog Leash - I'll be watching all the houses en route carefully at Bath ;-)
  • Options

"Find a branch to whack yourself in the face to prove you didn't see the low branch either"

Lol EP ! Brilliant :-))))

There is also an interesting unanswered question of etiquette. You pop behind a bush at 1k only to find about 25 other people there also 'twiddling their thumbs' (I am assuming these are other cheating runners and not cruising homosexuals, which would pose quite a different problem). Do you acknowledge them, ignore them staring defiantly at the ground or find another bush ?

• Options
    This is a very funny thread love it...EP last post ...LOL !!!!!
  • Options
    OMG

I just cant stop laughing At your Post WA;-)))

Be careful one never knows how many maybe behind your Bush:-)

EP That is some dedication you have:-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    F.oggyF.oggy ✭✭✭
    LEGOG. Set off North East untill way out of sight then turn round and go back and claim GOGLE record
  • Options
    OK, so at the next race we do, we can all expect there strangely to be a distinct lack of runners in the middle of the race, while they are all hiding in the bushes etc :)
  • Options
    Exactly races rather empty of runners half way then all of a sudden a whole crowd of runners jumps out of the bushes as we near to the finish line:-)))
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Just discovered this, great idea. Windermere marathon comes to mind.

Windermere marathon this year was one circuit of lake. So you could always cut off the road a few miles in at Hawkshead, get on the ferry (concealing number somehow - you might need an accomplice with spare clothes) and rejoin at Bowness. Cuts off about half the distance.

It was such a great race, I feel evil just for suggesting it!
  • Options
    Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

Very original DE, I will have to enter that one !

I have the Llanelli 10k this Sunday and have worked out that just when I am at the westerly point in the course the train that runs along the side of the coastal path will go past. I just need to jump on the the back of it and it will take me all the way from 2k to 8k in just a few minutes.

Have been out at Llanelli practicing my train-surfing so look out this weekend, a PB for me is guaranteed.
  • Options
    In November I was at a race, and about half way round on quite a deserted piece of road, a car pulled over right in front of me and a runner got out.

I thought she was perhaps having a training run, but a little later she had aquired a number, and at the finish I saw her with her medal.

Cheat !
  • Options
    Welsh AlexWelsh Alex ✭✭✭

No, fool ! She should have waited until there was no-one else about ;-)
  • Options
    and not even pretending to be subtle, so

Beaujolais Marathon

Cheat potential 10 /10
  • Options
    Ironman UK

I think they have now changed the bike course, but in case they haven't, there is massive potential to knock about 20 miles off. On the second loop, simply pull off at the end of your first time around as oppsed to going round the loop again as you are supposed to. When i did the race in 2005 there was a big question mark over one of the female Hawai qualifiers doing exactly this.

Distance saved - about 20 miles or an hour(ish) of cycling.

Chances of getting caught - about 0 assuming the course is the same which I believe it now isn't.
  • Options
    At the Edinburgh Marathon this year, I was coming up on the 18.5mile point after going around Gosford house. Two girls came out of the bushes (having been to the loo?) on the opposite side of the road, at about the 15.5mile section. They crossed the road and started running on my side of the road, seemed weird to go to the loo on the opposite carriageway when there were opportunities on our side, to then rejoin the race on my side of the road. I was sure they had skipped the three extra miles!!
    Cheat potential 10/10 as there were no timing mats at the furthest point.