Options

Running again after Hip resurfacing

Comments

• Options
    An article about Cory Faulk (http://www.surfacehippy.info/coryfoulk.php) says his was done by Dr Bose. Dr Bose is in India - he has done over 300 hip resurfacings and worked once with McMinn, a pioneer in hip resurfacing. See
    Good luck, Martin' target='_blank' rel="nofollow">
    http://www.mediescapes.com/Orthopedic_Consultant.html[url]

Good luck, Martin
  • Options
    Whoops - slash not backslash!
  • Options
    ness3ness3 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Martin.

Know nothing about ops abroad I'm afraid. Had mine done by Mr Krikler at the Nuffield in Leamington Spa. It was about 9 + a half grand and that was 4 years ago. I would think abroad would probably be cheaper than that. Good luck with it.

I'm running in one of the Race For Life 5k races on Sunday. One of the ones in Sheffield. Will let you know how I get on.
  • Options
    Hello all

I've been reading this with interest. There's a history of oseteoarthritis in our family and i started with hip problems in my mid-twenties. Now mid thirties and seem to be minimising the rate of deterioration with yoga, chiro etc - but feeling rather resigned to the fact that i'll end up under the surgeons knife at some point.

Thanks for sharing the info as hadn't heard of resurfacing before reading this, only whole replacement.
  • Options
    hi guys, good luck ness for the sunday run. I have been looking at two places abroad both of them do resufacing, one in india £4.200 plus air fare and getting down to heathrow and back 10 days, only problem that I can see its a ten hour flight. the other one is in france £6.500 14 days but with this one you get picked up at your home taken there and returned back home. both consultants in the hospitals seem to be first class. you can take a partner with both companies for alittle extra if you wish.:0)))any thoughts????
  • Options
    ness3ness3 ✭✭✭
    I'd be concerned about the 10 hour flight and getting a comfortable sitting position for a lot of that time.

Maybe that's because my backside was very swollen for the first couple of weeks post surgery (unusually swollen I think) Could only wear husbands tracksuit bottoms for the first week out of hospital. He said I looked attractive in them but obviously he's biased!

The France one sounds interesting and at 3k cheaper than my costs - something I would have considered had I known about the option. On point to factor in & plan for. Physio costs post op. My 9 and half k included a couple of sessions of physio but I needed more than that and at the Nuffield in Leamington they were quite expensive (charged by the 20 minute block if my memory serves me correctly.

Hope that helps your choice Martin.

Thought you'd like to know about my Race For Life yesterday. I did the 5k in 26 minutes and 33 seconds. Not my best ever time for a 5k but I was quite pleased with it.

• Options
    Not posting from experience of hip op - but think i would consider the fact that in addition to the travel time being shorter, food and climate in france are more similar to ours and so you're more likely to be on top form going into the op.
  • Options
    hi guys, just got a call from my company regarding a meeting next week with the european director of aig who they have managed to haul over here to find out what has gone wrong with my case. I've been advised to hang on till they know the outcome a week on friday. if I'm lucky I can put my credit card away and they can pay the 10,000 to 12,000 grand that it will cost in uk. managed to get my private x rays sent to my house that I have had done, the problem is so obvious looking at them I can't see why it wasn't picked up before now. well done ness completing the course on sunday, times don't matter at least you put the effort in.:0))))))
  • Options
    Hi all, Well done Ness3 on ur latest run. Also looking good again for you Martin!

And things looking good for me tonight as well (THU 7th). Just got back from a race tonight. 10K in.... wait for it.... 46 mins. The last run I did was 56mins so smashed it by 10 mins. Progress is now speeding up. About time too. Got to knock that six mins off by end of the year!
    I had no problem with my hip untill I hit the last half mile downhill in which i really was shifting trying to catch another team member. He beat me, just.

Bit stiff tonight getting ready for bed, but should be ok in morn.
    Good night.
  • Options
    Update; : ran a 7 miler with club last night on Otley Chevin.(12th June). Longest distance I have ran since my hip op in January. It was a hard run too, with lots of hills. Next target is to do a 8 miler within next week and 10 miler by the end of the month.

How are you lot doing?
  • Options
    hi guys. well just found out that my op will be going ahead on the 26th of next month, to be carried out by mark emerton. I've really had to lay on the pressure and have managed to get the insurers to pay in the end. I'm a very happy chappie:0)) dave, you seem to be making a great recovery in such a short time. I hope I can do aswel. keep it up. this thread should be a aid to other that have got to go down the route that we have undertaken. :0)))))
  • Options
    Martin! Brill news and very soon too. Mr Emerton will do a first class op on you.
    ------------
    Progress for me is very good,yes.

Infact I have progressed again to running 9.3 miles. Did did last Saturday.

So next posting will be to say I can run 10 mile.
    ---------------------------------------
    How are you doing Ness?
  • Options
    Martin, I'm really happy for you! Now all you've got to do is get as fit as possible before the op and conscienciously carry out all the exercises after the op. Good luck!
  • Options
    ness3ness3 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant news Martin. Good luck with op & please keep us posted on your recovery & progress.

Runagain - still training at the moment - for 5k races at the moment. I have one on the 1st July. That's part of a team charity triathelon. It's on a grass track so I don't expect to go too fast on that one. Am there literally to make up the numbers - my work colleagues couldn't get anyone else to do the run bit of the tri. It's to raise money for sports equipment in the North Warwickshire area.

Next race after that is the "Hydroactive Challenge" - a womens only 5k in the centre of Birmingham - that's not til September and I'd like to think I could train up to a sub 25 minute time for that one. I won't mind if I don't manage that cos I'm just enjoying my general training despite the rain.
  • Options
    hi gang, the hipper has returned. mr emerton and his team have done a fantastic job with the resurfacing op. I feel already that I've been given a new lease of life and can't wait to get back into running. just been doing my exercises to build the muscles back up in the leg. I've got the entry form into next years london so I'm looking at maybe doing that. (don't tell my wife) she thinks I'm nuts already. anyone else up for it????:0)))
  • Options
    Congrats on your operation and new hip!

When was it done?

London marathon!!!! One hell of a goal that is. Just go steady mate for now. im not running that much at moment, got too much on what with work and jobs on my cars. but hope to train more soon for the Brass monkey half in january.

keep us updating us on your progress.

Dave
  • Options
    ness3ness3 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Martin,

Pleased to hear you have the new hip. FLM is one hell of a target! Good luck with that.

I'm trying to be a bit more consistent with my training at the moment - 12 - 15 miles a week general running. Found trying intervals/tempo etc etc. didn't work for me.

Am due to run a 5k and a 10k race in September but have no plans to try longer distance races. not sure if I'd have the time for the training.

Anyway good luck with physio / getting back into running.

Ness
  • Options
    cheers ness, today my leg is very swollen right down to the ankle so I dont think I'll be doing a training sess to nite;)
  • Options
    dave, had the op done wednesday afternoon and discharged saturday. what physio did you have ?????as they want me to go back to leeds for some but if its just a few excercises I wont bother.
  • Options
    I avoided going for Physio because i proved I could do it myself and had access to a gym.
  • Options
    cheers mate I think I'll go down that root:0)))
  • Options
    out and about without sticks, the joint feels somewhat stiff but I can put up with that. doesnt effect the beer drinking and best of all I dont have to drive.:0))))))
  • Options
    There is a lot of trauma going on in your leg. It will take a while before you can start swinging it about (ur hip I mean!)
    I was the same. In the first six weeks you don't want to be doing to much. All that cut tissue inside needs to heal. Once that is about healed you can then start pumping them muscles up! Watching Causualty on TV helps! LOL. Take care.
  • Options
    cheers dave for that. Im trying to get some fitness back but as you've said it does take time for the healing process to kick in. I've been walking round the block a couple of times a day with the use of one stick although that doesn't seem too bad the sitting in the chair seem to be worse. I suppose I'm somewhat impatience with the situation>:)))))))
  • Options
    I went back to see the physio at leeds last wednesday, she put me through  a gym workout including climbing stairs. I was dead chuffed when she got other colleagues to assess what op I'd had done, none of them could believe it. have been walking miles and am going to embark on my morning swimming again. the phys give me some more exercises to do but told me that I didn't have to come back till my assessment on the 19th of next month. I feel great, second bite of the cherry. image))))))
  • Options
    Great to hear it, Martin!
  • Options
    ness3ness3 ✭✭✭
    Well done Martin.image
  • Options

Hi everyone,

Just been reading this thread with interest.

Although I'm not having hip resurfacing, I am having keyhole surgery on my hip next month.  I have something called Femoroacetabular (I think!) Impingement and they will be shaving off part of my hip ball bone to stop it rubbing on the socket.

Am rather worried to say the least!  Mostly about the recovery and whether I actually will be able to run at the end of all this!  Have already been off running for 6 months.

It's nice to hear some good, positive hip stories though.

• Options
    neems, I hope everything goes well for you. I can't believe how fit I now feel being pain free and hope I can get back into running. dave seem to have made an excellent recovery after his op so I 'm hoping that I'll be the same. keep in touch and let us know how your  op goesimage))))))