Options

Sunday 18th March 2007

Comments

• Options
    Wabo - whereabouts do you get your blisters?
  • Options
    Morning all,

Hi M! It's great to see you, and to hear that you are settling in well. Is the sports-crazy atmosphere there all that you had hoped?

Wabo, have you tried wearing two very thin pairs of socks? I had a friend who had very bad blisters and this sorted it out for her.

Good luck all racers in that wind - it's quiet but cold here today.

What: nowt
    Why: scheduled rest day
    Last hard: running yesterday
    Last rest: about 11 days I think.

Enjoy the day all you mothers!

Good runnings all.
  • Options
    Morning!

What: um....still deciding, run or swim. Not bike as it is sooo windy.

Bit tired too as went to see Arcade Fire last night, was excellent but stayed up too late....hubby then stayed up to watch grand prix but I am not that silly.

Some well dones, StuartG on brilliant 5k PB, RFJ on a hard 20 and Night Nurse on getting out there and doing what needs to be done!

Good luck to all racers, those that I can remember are Stickless in the relay, Clink, Imski, Mike, Hilly and BR, and anyone I forgot.

Sorry you wont be racing K9 but I guess you are taking the sensible approach.

Nice massage Scoobs (!)

Hello M, nice to hear you are both doing well.

Nice to hear also from Minks, glad to hear you are all doing well.

• Options
    ....and well done on run yesterday wabo, another long one out the way!
  • Options
    Glad to be back home after that battle with the wind. Energy sapping to say the least.

Thinking of all you racers today. Hope you get positive results in the conditions.

Feel for all of you on the bench and having to pull out of planned races. It's not easy being a runner all we want to do is run and its hard when its taken out of our hands. Healing vibes to you all.

What: 1.5 hours easy
    Why: Miles

• Options
    Hi All

What: 7 miles d & d
    Why: Miles
    Last hard; Friday
    Last rest: 49 days

WP I agree Progrid Triumphs are a ace shoe. I bought a second pair last night for AED 350 or 48 pounds at todays exchange rate, they come i rather catching "spiv" blue as well as the gold!
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    nfr, I get them on the part of the foot wher you would get bunions. The skin is constantly hard there,though I pumice and cream like a loon. I have very wide feet and wear the widest NB (womens) with orthotics. Wondering if I should be wearing men's so that they are wider? Its easier if I wear twin skin, not tried two thin socks i-mel, may try that.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Afternoon

Somehow I managed to complete the entire 15 mile run without any rain :-)

But it was definitely windy!

What: 15 and a bit miles, plus a swim later.
    Why: One week of training done and dusted, 15 more and I'll be ready for a bit of a splash, dawdle and amble.
    Lyrics: Nope

debbo - there was a choice???
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Hiya Gang,

What: 16.44 miles, in 2:26 at <75%MHR including ~1.5mi of v. slow warm-up/warm-down. Considering the diabolical nature of the wind (either you're hurtled forward else you're running backwards) I'm very happy with this run in terms of being able to maintain focus on a light-footed running style.
    Why: LSR

Back Later.
  • Options
    Afternoon Chris, Well done for doing 19 miles yesterday,I hope that you taper after the Orion 15.
    Regarding shoes , as its always been a topic of mine- I believe that the womens wide version of NB shoes is the same as the standard version of the mens model, there are 2 wider mens models. Its a shame that saucony changed their triumph, Its typical that companies always change their models when you've just found one thats perfect for you. I've totally wrecked my DS trainers (last seasons model) so now need to try the latest version and hope they wont cause problems.
  • Options
    WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    I have never tapered for 3 weeks michael, you know me! I will probably do a longish the week after orion 15 then I taper....
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Options
    Ha Ha, Re. tapering , For my quickest Halstead I'd raced on the Isle of wight the previous weekend!. For London PB - It was 2 weeks after running the coast-to-coast!!
    Whats tapering again??
  • Options
    Sellotapering, Michael?!

Wouldn't like to be at the EH20 or Spen 20 today, ferocious out there!

Had a strange day today where nothing seems to have gone the way I've planned it. I had planned to get up earlyish and go for a long(ish) bike ride but went out last night and had one too many, so got up at 10am. The wind has been so strong here with intermittent hail/sleet showers so I decided not to go on bike but bought new metal pedals with clips.

Proceeded to put them on but they wouldn't go on properly, so have now taken bike to shop for a good service (and pedal fitting), in view of the TPT ride with legionella etc, in 2 weeks.

Think it'll have to be the gym later for a gymbike then run on the treadie session. At least the wind won't get me!
  • Options
    Wabo - Nike Percept? It has a segmented/telescopic upper that expands to accommodate bunions, so may be worth a try? You mentioned that you've run in Triumphs, so the Percept is a neutral shoe, like the Triumph.
  • Options
    Afternoon,

Quick visit - not got time to stay!

What: 15 miles
    Why: half mara training
    Last hard: today
    Last rest: Friday

Last long run before half-mara in 2 weeks. Wasn't quick, but was pretty consistent pacing, except for the last 3 miles. Just turned for home when the wind suddenly got up (from dead calm to what felt like gale force) and was right against me all the rest of the way and blowing rather painful hailstones in my face. Nearly blew me to a halt a couple of times and I reckon I lost a good 2-3 minutes, maybe more, in those last 3 miles.
  • Options
    RFJ,

I just read your race report on the Saturday thread.

When I was struggling last year you were one of the regulars who was there for me and who encouraged me on the 3.30 forum, so it was the least i could do to stick with you when you were so clearly in distress.

Next year we'll go back and kick that race's ar$e !

I remain your across- the- line- brother- in- arms,

peace,

system

• Options
    Afternoon all,

RFJ - well battled at rhyader

StuG - congrats on the PB

Yesterdays trip to nottingham for the uni relays went pretty well - ran a decent leg and I think we ended up around halfway down the field.

What: 10 miles d&d don't know what was up today, but I never really got into it. Ah well, onwards and upwards
    Why: Sunday run
    Last hard: yesterday
    Last rest: friday
  • Options
    10 miles for me too.

All of it against the wind :-/
  • Options
    Content back at home after an enjoyable XC relays.

Ran a leg for 2 teams for our club (some youngsters showed up 5 minutes before the gun, so we improvised a team for them), 3rd leg for the improvised team, anchor for the team of people that showed up at a reasonable time (I think I explained we hardly were expecting a star team :-)

Very sunny but winds picked up again. Ran a 2.5 mile lap warmup, ran a very controlled leg for 'team B' and managed to run the last leg for 'team A' 18 seconds quicker than the first despite winds being even stronger. Nice to beat the time of my female team mate by 3 seconds as well despite running the extra leg earlier (some very enjoyable friendly rivalry there).

What: 7.5 miles XC (5 of which racing)
    Why: team fun
    Last rest: yesterday
    Last hard: the last turn to the finish today (inclining turn straight into the wind): it felt like entering the finish straight going backwards.

Lovely to see most of your team mates and other familiar faces running as well, as usually everyone is focussed on their own thing.

Quite nice food at the end of league presentations too...
  • Options
    Stuart G: Wow, that's going it some. Anyone who can do a sub 5 minute mile is fair shifting.

Fat Face: I'd go with either pair, they are both nicely run in now. Even if the shoes were at 700 miles I prefer them to a new pair. After all it's just one last outing before the wheelie bin eats them.

Wabo: I used to get blisters from Adidas shoes at a mere 5 miles. I was told to forget the vaseline, and concentrate on hardening my feet. Thus I would wipe them with surgical spirit every night. Before a longer run or a race I would tape them up with micropore. This all seemed to work for long enough to cover the minimum miles before replacement. There was one great side effect benefit. My feet were cured of any hint of athletes foot, and any other hidden lurgy. The only negative was that I smelled like an anaesthetic ward.

RFJ: 10 miles - all into the wind! Hmm. I think I know.

Out for M-Day lunch today, so it's a case of squeezing in 7 miles very gently, that will take this week's tally to the dizzy height of 70 miles. Next week should be lighter, culminating in Bath Half, and that should mean that I'm officially on the countdown to FLM. I never did get a training plan sorted.
  • Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    21 miles done at 10.17 pace with my friend a 4.30 marathon runner, no gels or food just fluids and she was very good. I think she has a chance at 4.15 if she wants it. For me with my Ultra hat on it was a good time on feet exercise but more than that a great way to spend 3.30 mins on a Sunday morning. My avg hr was 106 :¬)

Glad we went out this morning as the weather here has got much worse.

Off to the cinema with my daughter Arthur and the invisable something ??who knows she is only 6
  • Options
    hello
    RFJ-you have my utmost sympathies
    Good to see m amnd venom back

Xerxes-9 miles aint half bad

well done to Stu g on the pb

I managed all of 2 miles
    last weeks intervieew malarky, the marathon and quite a bit of driving and other stress has all caught up with me i think
    Also have a bit of a cold
    Its not normal for me to want to sleep during the day
    So, i thought i would listen to my body-and have yet another step back low mileage week
    But tomorrow is a new week

fatface-Id say 350 miles is a perfectly run in shoe, and i would wear for the marathon
  • Options
    WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Gobi.. good of you to accompany a slower runner, also splendid cameraderie on display from SOAC & RFJ, well done all.

Imski.. well raced in the relay.

Xerxes.. so sorry about your FLM pull out, very bad luck.

M.. good to hear you are both well & thriving.

Now for the wild & windy East Hull 20 report..

Strong winds are my running nemesis. Give me rain, snow, a heatwave, anything but this. It was almost my worst nightmare (my true worst nightmare is being locked in a room with a Kanye West CD on repeat). However, I had entered it so I was up at 7am for the 1 hour drive to Hull with clubmates. Forecast was 35mph winds with 45mph gusts, charming. On a positive note we only got one nasty hailstorm, the rest of the race was bathed in sunshine.

To give you an idea of the wind strength, my split for mile 9 was 6:36 (wind behind), mile 10 6:48 (sideways & briefly head on), mile 11 8:46 (straight into major gusts!).

Half of me was hating it, the other half was determined to eke out a half decent time so I pressed on.

I trundled home in 2:24, six minutes slower than last year but those were near ideal conditions. Plus a 2 mile warm down so a decent paced long run in the bag so not all bad news. 76 miles for the week.

I must doff my hat to my clubmate who knocked 5 mins off last year's time to finish 7th in 2:06 and take home a cheque for £20. An astonishing performance in those conditions. 'harrierkev' is his forum name and he can be found being led into temptation by the fast boys on the FLM sub 2:45 thread.

Good to see BR & Hilly braving the conditions as well, and well done to East Hull Harriers for re-routing the course this year to make it less traffic and chav infested.

Now please permit my absence, I intend to curl up in a corner & hibernate for a few days until this nasty weather subsides. {O:

• Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all!

Wabo, that sounds quite an effort yesterday. Glad it all worked out.

Erm, just looked out of the window - it's snowing! perhaps I'll leave collecting kit from the back of friends car for a bit.

Really pleased with Turing relay. I was very nervous about this, as all my team are better runners than me, some were serious about time, we are all members of a department that is legendarily non communitaire, not at all sure they were going to be happy campers.

My good friend and head of department started off, the only one senior to me, and out of practice though he was a good cross country runner in his youth. He came in looking as if he had worked very very hard against the mostly headwind. Leg two was a student, a rower whose (ladies) boat is now head of the river. Leg three was a speedy member of applied, followed by a less experienced member of applied. The fifth leg we let loose our not so secret weapon - the head of applied, who had been bouncing up and down all morning waitinh for his turn to be off.

With that substantial time cusion gained by this injection of speed on top of an entirely respectable base, I had the job of tryiing to keep off our rivals, a team of fellows from one of the colleges, captained by my mr. who was also running the final leg.

The wind was savage in the fen, fortunately mostly it was a beam reach or occasionally a broad reach. At those times the strategy was to spend as much time in the air as possible. Close reach or close hauled it was sodding hard work, the wind snatching your feet and putting them down in unexpected places in the rough ground. I got blown backwards off of one stile, next time I didn't let go of the fencepost.

Every now and then a runner would come past. Heart in throat - was it my Mr? No, give the guy a friendly wave and carry on. Ely cathedral rears up from the fens, a landmark from miles away. Does it get any closer? does it heck.

Still, I knew the lay of the land from having sailed down the river on a number of occasions. Eventually the bridge came in sight, and my teammates, who all paced me round the last lap of the playing field. One happy bunny was I. I had almost stopped gasping when the Mr. arrived.

A chap came up and asked whether we could stay around for the prize-giving, as we were second organisation team. What? Me? In a team that has come in the prizes? It can't be true!

Sadly it wasn't. But I was pleased to think for a few minutes that we had, otherwise I probably would never even have dreamed that a prize might be in our sights. OK, I can dream now.

The team all were happily chattering about what next. Third? Second? Second to none. A very satisfying day.
  • Options
    SticklessStickless ✭✭✭
    Well done Wardi!
  • Options
    M., nice to see you and glad you and Venom are back running again.

RFJ, it's a tough race and you've been ill very recently. You should be well pleased with yourself :o)

FF, I wouldn't hesitate to wear shoes with 350 miles or more on them for a marathon if they were comfortable. And I ran my marathon PB with shoes I'd only done about 9 miles in beforehand ... then went and left them in the changing-room after the race and didn't realise till I'd got home. Worst-value trainers I've ever had ;o)

I shall run FLM in my Vaporflys, which should have at least 200 miles on them by that time if the uppers haven't disintegrated. I've raced up to 20 miles in them without any problem.

Today:

What: Ashby 20 mile race.
    Why: FLM preparation and a realistic assessment of where I'm at.
    Aiming for: A relatively even 8.15mm pace. Even set my Garmin training partner.
    But: Got ahead of the little stick-man early on and stretched my lead to 0.6 miles by the end, without ever getting into my noisy-breathing zone. Ended up clocking 2.41.00, with which I am delighted considering the undulations and the weather and the lack of tapering.
    Last rest: Thursday.
    Last hard: Wednesday.

I feel more confident about pitching for sub-3.30 at FLM now :o)
  • Options
    RFJ – gosh well done. that sounded simply horrid what with your tum playing up like that. Cannot have been nice – well done!

Blisters – there is no way I’ll miss the sports massage appointment. Pain is good. :0)

StuartG – great 5k and so very fast. Brilliant.

NN – you have done so brilliantly with your training. And going out straight off a night shift! Blimey! Pleased for you, nearly there now, not long! I can’t remember if you have done Paris before? I don’t think you have. You’re gonna love it. Its also a fast course too.

M – hello again, good to hear from you. Great to hear that your 5k is coming down, you’ll get there no probs.

IW – 2 hours on bike then straight out for 2 hours run – crikey! I feel tired – again. :0) How you do this is quite beyond me, respect to you. :0)

Gobi – good long run supporting your friend, I think that is lovely but do, hope you did not get cold! Enjoy piccies. :0)

Wardi – ooh that sounded tough in that wind. It is so flippen unpredictable. Good on you for fighting back.

Stickless – snow? Brrrr…. But regarding today – well - that is just brilliant. So pleased for you. What a fantastic day. Well done.

Looking forward to reading up on everyone else. Hope they are not too windswept!
  • Options
    Veli - well you ran a stormer there! Yep things are looking really good. Loved that you beat the stick man. :0) I've never used mine. Must try it sometime... well done veli. :0)
  • Options
    Blisters - you have trained really hard, don't forget that. So what if you did not have a training plan. You have adapted and done what you can, when you can.Sometimes heading out at a ridiculously late hour in order to train. That takes dedication and sheer determination. And in my book you've done tons! Good on you. :0)