Options

Sunday 18th March 2007

13»

Comments

• Options
    Well i cycled with Mr Scoobs. Turned out he was on a bit of a mission. I had said he could set the pace, so he shot off! Ok, that's fine, so I gave chase. :0) He does like it when I chase him...

Ooops sorry forgot where I was for a minute, back to cycling. :0)

But then he got a puncture so we had to stop. I have now changed my first ever puncture! :0))) Ok not on my bike but I'm not fussy. Who said changing an inner tube is easy please? Not in my book it isn't. Mr Scoobs did help me some as it was the back wheel, so he did the chain for me and - well - I did get a bit stuck at times. But mainly I did it. :0)

But I'm afriad i bent the valve again! I always do this and Mr Scoobs got a bit cross. Oh well, can't be perfect all the time. :0)

So on we went, but it was very windy so sideways riding occured at times, and head down, push push push to just move at times into headwind.

But 18:65 miles all done.

Then I went for a swim so did 1250m's too. Practised my drills and did a 400m time trial just to see. 9:40. So time has come down from last year as 400m took me 10:20 then. Lets hope it keeps coming down.

When I got home Mr scoobs asked me if I ache from hips to feet after cycling! Shame, he will cane it. He's a bit stiff now. Steady now....

Right off for din dins, kids are cooking roast beef. Yum. And I have LOADS of choccy to eat.

Cadbury's Hero's anyone?

<munch munch>
  • Options
    VRAP - Good run and thanks for the wishes yesterday.

You too FL; think it was a 24 hour thingy-mi-bob !

Gobi- I should have known yesterdays lyrics; I used to drink with the lead singer and guitarist from Terrrovision beforew they made it big !

Some good LSR's and race reports, copngrats to all esp RFJ (sorry to hear about your troubles) and Wabo.

What: 5.5 miles (tempo in middle) d&d
    Why: Schedule says so
    Last hard: Fri
    Last rest: Yest

Todays lyrics: nope (again)
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

Firstly, thanks for the kind comments, but at the end of the day (it gets dark) things didnt go well on the day and its all about mental resolve and not giving up. The great joy of having a selfless committed runner waiting for you and helping you round is such an advantage and such a pleasure to know that we are in a running community that helps each other when needed. Thanks again SOAC, the memory of crossing the line hand in hand will stick for a long long time.

Anyway, some great efforts on the long runs (and more selfless committment Gobi, for helping your friend round) and races.

Wabo, well done on the relay legs you did.

Also big well dones to Stickless and Imski on your great efforts on the relays.

StuG - great PB yesterday

V-Rap, well done on your pacing, great stuff ready for 3:30.

Wardi - Sounds very tough, well battled.

Take care all.
  • Options
    Well done Wardi, a good time for the conditions!

Well raced also, RFJ!

Nice biking and puncture repairing Scooby, I didn't actually get out there today, the weather was horrid and I didn't fancy another trek up and down the trail, as I'll get enough of that in two weeks!

What: gym session: 1hour on gymbike = 35km (21.8M)!! Then ran at varying speeds to test the heel out covering 2M followed by some weights work to strengthen the shoulders for the biking.
    Why: overall fitness training
    Last hard: drinking too much last night
    Last rest: 8 days (since total rest anyway).

I want one more week of higher bike and gymbike mileage to prepare myself for this trek then I plan to taper!
  • Options

I find Sundays really hard on here
    I should be grateful to be pain free-but i want to train properly, and race to my(ok slow), standards.

patience needed
  • Options
    hi melissa - yes wellington is as sports crazy as we'd hoped. everyone here seems to run, cycle, walk, swim, play netball, soccer, rugby, or go out surfing, windsurfing, kayaking etc. everytime i go out running there are other people out. its a really nice atmosphere, and very encouraging for slower runners like me as being good (although encouraged and very much recognised and celebrated) isn't part of the criteria for taking part. there are actually groups in the local club that run at my pace :)

well done on your race stickless!
  • Options
    Hi from a wet and windy Devon..same everywhere I guess. at the timeit wasnt fun but am I glad I git that 20 out the way ater my night shift yesterday rather than today..at least the weather was ok.
    Went out for a gentle 6 expecting legs to feel tired but they werent..cant beleive it felt quite freas really but resisited the tempation to run faster willsave that for a 10 miler tomorrow.
    Not read whole thread yet will do after I have eaten...starving today dont know why ??

Vrap..that is a very impressive time for your 20...especially as you didnt taper..dont think I will catch you just yet ..
    Scoobs no not done Paris looking forward to it..enjoy your choccy ..all that tri training..you have earned it..

What :5 easy..
    Why :recovery and schedule
    Last hard : yesterdays 20.5 ( very important that .5)
    Last rest : fri
  • Options
    Evening,

Wardi and Vrap, excellent running in your respective 20 milers.
    Stickless, well done in your relay

Redcar Half Marathon for me.

Now this is the longest I have run since the end of January so my expectations were not high.
    Conditions were bright and sunny. The wind however could cut you in two and the sand blowing of the beach got everywhere. Plan was to find a group at a respectable pace and hang on. Hide when running into the wind and open my sails when running down wind.

We all set off to the anaemic sounding horn.

Mile 1: missed it (it was a feature of the wind – all the mile markers had been blown over)
    Mile 2: 11.00 dead. Noooo waaayyyyy were we running that fast into the wind. 2nd toe right foot begins to hurt, I can visualise a blood blister the size of a cherry developing.
    Mile 3: 7.20 more like it, and I suspect that this marker was in the right place
    Mile 4: 6.12 well settled in a group (at the back) with a sub 3 hour FLM runner
    Mile 5: 6.24 about to turn down wind and still in a good group. 5 miles in 30.55
    Mile 6: 6.00 down wind and cruising
    Mile 7: 5.43 down wind and someone picked the pace up :o(
    Mile 8: 6.23 not bad, we cut back into the wind and I am still hanging onto the FLM’er but my right quad is aching. I am perplexed, why oh why should my quad be giving me trouble. I keep on gratfing.
    Mile 9: 6.18 get caught by the leading lady and we up the pace to take advantage of (a) another injection of pace and wind break and (b) a terrific view (sorry ladies)
    Mile 10: 6.57 back into the strong head wind. To try and up the pace would have been suicide so I just tucked in
    Mile 11: 6.57 this was the same ground as mile 8 except we had to run through the tail end of the field. This is where I lost touch with the FLM’er and the very pretty 1st lady.
    Mile 12: 6.20 into the wind along the “Redcar straight”. Shared the headwind with an Elswich Harrier – I took 2 lamposts, he took 2 lamposts and so we went on to about half a mile from the finish.
    Mile 13: 7.08 Redcar sea front. Blasted by sand and wind. The Elswich Harrier amd me both winced out loud. It hurt, it really hurt.
    Mile 13.1: 1.05 (or there abouts). Had enough left in my to stride away from my running buddy in the last 100 yards.

Finished in 1.23.20 ish. No idea of position but that was one of the toughest runs of my life however, running within a group and running off and with other athletes for the entire race made a big difference to the enjoyment factor. I would have hated to be isolated in such inhospitable conditions.

The glass is half full. No aches or pains at the moment. I need to set out a program of base aerobic training and weight loss and I am sure that my speed will return. Perhaps that autumn marathon is still on the cards after all.
  • Options
    excuse typos I NEVER read before submitting..only when its too late..
  • Options
    Pops, to your comment 2 days ago adressed to me, yes I agree enitrely with your comments to Hilly:-)

Stu, a fantastic PB

Wardi, Vrap, well raced in the hideous weather

Stickless, a fantastic day for you, and I guess your first experience of a real 'race' ? Glad you won it.

What: Silverstone half marathon
    Why: to know where I am, pre FLM
    As such absolutely useless. The course is completely exposed and the wind was really strong, and rarely seemed to be from behind. Hard to stay in a straight line when the wind was from the side, and then about half a mile's worth of hail storm, which was really painful as the hail stones hit my face... So what can I make of 1:45 ? I felt quite strong and feel I could have had a good race today if it hadn't been for the weather, so I'm very dissappointed (again!) I'd been aiming for 1:36-8ish, but probably can't blame all the extra 8mins on the weather....

So.. 3 weeks of do-or-die training before a 2 week taper.
  • Options
    Evening all,
    Some good racing had today in difficult conditions, well done to VRAP what a race and very encouraging this close to FLM.

Really enjoyed my take out last night, ages since I had a good curry, got up nice and early to watch the Aussie GP before my LSR with 3 other IEK Team mates.

we ran a 14-mile route, mulit-terrain, going up the North Downs and onto the pilgrims way on two occastions, pretty windy so started slowely, then worked pretty hard over final few miles, bang on 7mm pace, so quiet pleasing really!

What:
    am: 14-mile multi-terrain lsr with team mates, easy then steady pace, ince to hardish towards end. 1h37.48secs

pm: 5-mile recovery paced run at 8mm pace, felt pretty pooped from this mornings exertions to be honest, but got around nicely, last high mileage week until May!!!

Tapering next two weeks for Key race, then april will be a low mileage month! :)

Why:
    Aerobic endurance.

IMSKI:
    Nice relay result, always good to beat the females in your team or group ;p

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Evening,

NZC: Running in Blighty is anything but nice - especially today.

M: Great to hear from you! Glad to read that Venom is making good progress.

MikeS: I guess I missed it but what was the reason behind the ankle twang?

Wabo: LOL - what a pleasant birthday :-)

Scoobs: The massage normally lasts 2hrs but my mate had to cut it short. He is very thorough so I will have another one soon to sort out the lower legs. We pass the time by me attempting to talk about anything and relating the pain factor to him. When he hits 9 out of 10 he knows he's on track.

NFRR: Are you the same guy who I met with Pantman at Trent Park? Name starts with 'J'?

FellLiker: The treadmill would be the optimum choice for today.

Xerxes: Well done on getting out there. As for the family, I bet they're ever so slightly envious of your running ability. ;-)

Sodahead: Fantastic running, as always. Feel free to fill up my meagre-yet-empty glass :-)

I had a bit of a disaster this morning. I had a tug-of-war match over my sock with my son Ricky. I sat on the bed, he was standing up. I gave a massive pull and he at that moment let go. I managed to punch myself in the nuts. Had to spend 10 mins curled into a ball while the rest of the family split their sides with laughter.

Lyrics were Bloodhound Gang with Bad Touch (Discovery Channel song). I really like this song and all the parody videos of it on the 'net.
  • Options
    Wabo - hard way to do a long run.

Hi M & Venom - glad you are settling in well.

It's not mothers' day here, but happy mothers' day to all the mothers on here especially Minks.

Good stuff Stickless - sounds like you all had a great time.

Great running Velociraptor! Good luck for the 3.30 at FLM.

Soda - it always seems too easy for you;-)

TMR - good effort in that wind - you're doing it - get good conditions for your marathon and it will be a breeze.

• Options
    Evening all,

No time to read back just yet but hope you all had a good day.

Quick race report.

Silversone half.

Never have I run in such conditions, 30mph winds with no shelter, followed by driving hailstones and sleet. Anyway, my target was 71 and ended way outside in 74.44 - 7th overall and 1st vet.got a bad cramp just below my rib cage at the 9 mile point which left me dropping back but luckily cleared within a couple of miles.
    Times were down generally - Hendrick Romaala 66.53, Thomas Abyu 71.41. Despite all that, a good day but now left with no idea how my training's going, what to aim for at london and with no more races till london, not ideal.
  • Options
    Wardi - Sounds tough in hull. Well battled in the Wind!

Stickless - Glad to hear you did so well at the relays (and beat your Mr...).

Vrap - Sounds like a good run at Ashby. Well done

Sodahead - Well raced at Redcar, sounds like a good return to racing

TmR - Sorry it didn't go to plan at silverstone

NRG-B LOL at the tug of war!
  • Options
    Evening folks.

I've not read back. Not really in the frame of mind for it. Today's run has to be the worst run I've ever done since finishing my treatment. Couldn't seem to speed up or maintain pace. Felt cold all the way round and basically was hit by a thunderstorm (with huge big hailstones) at 14 miles. I just lost the will to live and couldn't seem to squeeze out the determination to finish the other 4 miles and seeing as I was only a mile from home... I headed home instead... and even most of that was walking. I've ditched all this year's races, except Shakespeare and that's only because I'm doing it with two friends. But I'm seriously considering pulling out of that one too. Mojo has well and truly disappeared. I really don't know why I'm bothering anymore.

What: 15 painfully cold, slow miles.
    Why: schedule said 18 but lost the will to live at 14 and simply couldn't get it back.
    Last rest: Yesterday
    Last hard: Today
    Lyrics: Bloodhound Gang - Bad Touch (sorry, couldn't resist NRG-B!)

• Options
    nrg-b - Thats me! Do you still ever go to TPRC with the kids? I've not been there in ages!

What: 8miles steady
    Why: milage and base building
  • Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    Cath: Consider all those who live in Britain. What percentage take some form of exercise? What percentage of those are runners? What percentage of those runners are in the same boat as you? You're in a small exclusive minority :-) You are "bothering" because you know that the alternative of "not-bothering" is just not acceptable. Have break, chill out and get back out there. Typical of you to spot the lyrics!

• Options
    nrg-bnrg-b ✭✭✭
    NFRR: Wow - nice to hook-up with you again mate! No we don't go to Trent Park anymore - too many things to do on Saturdays. How did you sort out your back problems? Do you still keep in touch with Pants?
  • Options
    Rundown - if you're within 8 mins of Ramaala and 3 mins of Abyu then that might tell you you're in great shape!

Sodahead - pleased you enjoyed your comeback race.

Stickless - well done on your relay

TmR - how fast do you think you would have run on a normal day?

Imski - sounds like a good XC afternoon

V-rap - good confidence builder

East Hull 20...

As I said earlier the plan was to run 64 / 60. Huh!
    I wore the HRM to get a bit of feedback as well.

Mile 1 - 6:23 (157 HR) Nice n easy
    Mile 2 - 6:21 (171)
    Mile 3 - 6:26 (172)
    Mile 4 - 6:31 (173) - A bit windy this but feeling strong
    Mile 5 - 6:25 (171) - all this is sub marathon effort so good
    Mile 6 - 6:26 (171) - almost like I can run even pace and effort:-)
    Mile 7 - 6:35 (171)
    Mile 8 - 6:28 (173)
    Mile 9 - 6:19 (174)
    Mile 10 - 6:24 (177) - halfway on 64:30. Bang on target.

Now for this 6m/m last 10...

Mile 11 - 7:06 (178) I believe Wardi mentioned a little breeze:-)
    Mile 12 - 6:42 (178)
    Mile 13 - 6:25 (178)
    Mile 14 - 6:45 (176) During this mile my hamstring cramped and I had to stop twice to stretch it out. I cursed the heavens in the desolate wastelands of the Holderness plain and wondered why a 4th East Hull 20 out of 20 was going to be miserable
    Mile 15 - 6:28 (176) - Playing for pride now and not to try and be overtaken by anyone
    Mile 16 - 6:24 (177) - my calf that has been causing me grief all week now is hurting bad. And the hamstring is still cramping

Question for any HR bods - would the pain in my calf and hamstring affect HR. Otherwise at that pace and HR we're looking at a 2:50 marathon at best in 5 weeks...

Mile 17 - 6:34 (178)
    Mile 18 - 7:09!! (179)
    Mile 19 - 7:01 (176)
    Mile 20 - 6:42 (176)

+ 27 secs add on at end.

so a 64 / 67 positive split. My HR looked good but I was not running to that - I was pushing as hard as I could on the 2nd 10 and could only manage 67 mins (yes there was a bit of wind but that was disgusting).

Reasons? My legs felt not good after 14 miles
    I had to can 2 runs this week down to a real weak feeling - almost wanted to sit down on the pavement.
    Not been able to pass anything solid for 2 weeks - IBS?

Feel like yesterday's man at the moment.
  • Options
    Oh yes, just dipped under 2:12.

Not 2:04
  • Options
    I've just discovered I did my longest run week for several years this week... 60 miles... I blame all that sunshine... but maybe I need to start a plan and do this training a little less ad hoc?

...and Shiraz has just told me that her mileage this week was 1.65 compared with 52 miles this same week last year - proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that the bench sucks!
  • Options
    Rundown, exactly my feelings about Silverstone today - nothing learnt and no time to retest. I've looked up the leading women's times compared with their best from last year and 4 mins down seems to be average, at your sort of pace, so looks like you could have got your 71mins. As for me, BR, I wouldn't have been particlarly happy with 1:41, but bettter than 1:45. (and playing host at my aunt's 100th birthday party was more tiring than I would have like the day before a key race)

and BR, like Rundown and I have said, I don't think you can read anything into a race in as difficult weather as today, especially with your hamstring and calf problem as well. As for the HR to pace ratio, I think that is only valid in perfect weather - temperature and wind, and on a flat course. And I wondered what the effect of pain would be, when I had toothache last week.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    BR - The cramps may be lack of salts etc... if you are not passing solids only liqiud (sorry to put it like that) but I find that when Im having issues like that I tend to cramp up more than I would normally.

Just a thought that may help (but am no expert)

Like my run yesterday, may not be the best, but try and take some positives out of it, IE it was 20m in the bag, forget it and move on.

Rundown - great effort.

Sodahead - your race was a great effort too, well done.

Take care
  • Options
    Guys, it's a well known fact that PAIN is part of the FLIGHT-FRIGHT-FIGHT stimulus. Therefore dumping a whole load of adrenaline into the system... increasing HR and BP. Voila! (It's a bit more technical than that but essentially yes, pain does increase HR).
  • Options
    nrg - I still wake up with back pain every day - in fact, I wake up at 4am a lot of the time in a lot of pain, and have to get up and walk around for it to stretch out. Despite that, once I get up and start moving around, it doesn't usually affect me the rest of the day. It doesn't have any impact on my running the way it used to (and I've done ALL my running for years in the Teva Protons). Yep, I still keep in touch with Pants, and stayover at his place once every couple of months.

How's things with you? Are you still doing the PoSE sessions? You'd had back pain previously yourself hadn't you?
  • Options
    What: Bedgrudging rest today.
    Why: (not so usual) Work committments
    Last hard: Yesterday
    Last rest: Today

It was a double shift for me today, so it meant either a crack o' dawn run (which is not typically me, however I did try this morning to get up) or go out running now, but I think it's too late in this part of scotland anyway.

I hate rest days when there is no true physical reason, and today was one of them - if the change of work schedule wasn't so spontaneous I'd have gone out after work, earlier in the evening. :( Ho hum, normal service resumes with gusto tomorrow.