Options

Pilgrims Hospice Canterbury Half -Marathon

Who has signed up for this one? This is my "anniversary" run in that this race last year was my first proper run.

Comments

• Options
    Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Will get my entry off this week :-)
  • Options
    Haven't decided yet although something tells me I should probably hurry up and decide before it gets full.

Procrastination is a hard habit to break.
  • Options
    Andy

I am not 100% certain but I believe they were still taking entries on the day last year, but please don't rely on that as being "gospel". It might have something to do with the fact that this race is held during a Bank Holiday weekend and sensible people find lots of other things to do that weekend. I am grateful for the day off work to recover.
  • Options
    Oh no, that's made me even more indecisive.....

• Options
    could anyone tell me whther this is the same course that was discontinued about 7 years ago? It used to start and finish at the cricket ground
    patrick
  • Options
    Patrick

It starts and finishes in Merton Lane, near the Rugby Ground, further up the same road that one side of the cricket ground stands on.

• Options
    Patrick

Its a similar route to the Old 1/2 Mara but the section thru the City centre doesnt happen. It starts and finishes in the countryside. It heads out through Petham to Waltham then back. Tiz a beautiful course. I reckon its not as hilly as the old course. Nice!
  • Options
    I put that down to your memory, Kaxov. While it may be true that there is less climbing in the first couple of miles, the "old" hill at 10 miles was hard, but then it turned down towards the city centre. With this "new" version, you just keep going up the hill.
  • Options
    I was just wondering if I should run, have just finished the FLM on sunday and my knees are very painful, but am hoping that they are better in a week, so I can think about the canterbury half marathon
  • Options
    I'm really looking forward to this race - I'm an old Langtonian and can't wait to see Canterbury again, BUT this hill business is slightly disconcerting, any clues as to just how horrendous the hills are? Did a 10k last Sunday that was described as 'undulating' - they lied, a LOT. This will be my first half marathon and obviously will be aiming to enjoy it, and complete it, but would love some inside knowledge to help me in training.
    Also, am aiming for 1 hour 40mins, how on earth do those super men and women do it in 1 hour 20mins ?! Respect!
  • Options
    I know where the cricket ground.As I would be coming by train how much further past the cricket ground is it?
  • Options
    Ruth

I ran Canterbury last year as my first ever race, let alone half, and fell victim to the description "undulating". Canterbury has two proper hills that I can remember. At about the halfway point you climb up a fairly long but not hugely demanding hill. BUT At the ten mile mark you reach one which I simply walked up and was overtaking people who were trying to "run" it. It is a nasty and you will know what to expect because you go down it at the 3 mile mark on the way out. Just do what I intend to do this year, factor in a "breather" at that point and just walk up it. The last three are easy-going. Hope this helps.

Ian

The rugby ground is about a half to three quarters of a mile up the Hythe Road from the corner of the cricket ground. Coming from the station you walk past the front of the cricket ground and take the turning on the right and carry on up there.
  • Options
    Thanks Bill! Funnily enough I did the same up the 'undulating' mountain in my last race, walked past several 'runners' who could hardly breath, quite amusing looking back on it!
    Looking forward to it now, I used to work at the cricket ground so will be good to go past one of my old haunts ; )
  • Options
    I have done Wokingham half in Feb and Reading in March and would like to try this one - there are two hilly bits on the reading course which I managed but wondered if anyone knows how they compare with Canterbury - don't know Canterbury at all? Thanks, Caroline
  • Options
    Sir Cowarde de Custarde

Yup your right I'd forgotten about that!! Petham is picturesque though!

Compared to Paddock Wood its hilly but compared the Seaford Half its not as hilly.

Gawd I'm confusing myself now.

There's no excuse I'm gunna have to run Canterbury this year to refresh the memory.

Where do i sign?
  • Options
    I shall send the men in white coats round to you - just as soon as they have finished with me: I posted my entry form this morning.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I can't run the race this year which is disappointing, but I've attached a link to my Garmin Forerunner 305 recorded race from last year. I did it in 1.47 last year but its got the elevation profile which some of you might be interested in.

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/invitation/dashboard.mb?episodePk.pkValue=831803

Hope you all enjoy the race, it is a great course, don't let the hills but you off, its definitely worth doing.

Good Luck ;-)

Dex.
  • Options
    That is a very helpful peice of info there Dex - thanks for sharing.
    Now I am scared!
    I think I need to get myself one of those Garmin Forerunners - it gives you so much information - do you find it really useful and beneficial to have? Is it worth investing in one?

Looking forward to running the race. I got my number through a few days ago and am excited! I am hoping for a sub 1 hr 50min - but the hills look a bit challenging and I have not done a lot of hill training at all!

D'OH!
  • Options
    mad runner bean,

Sorry I've not replied sooner. I can certainly recommend them, I use it all the time and use it to guide my training, see my blog for more examples of what I use it for.

Depends on whether you want HR or not as to what version you go for, the 205 or the 305. Well worth considering if you're in the market.

Good luck to all on Sunday.

[img]http://signatures.mylivesignature.com/54485/174/FAB105031AB86471188D6A50D3119AD4.png[/img]
  • Options
    Mrs F and yours truly will be there. I havent run a half since dover 2006 so have no idea how it will go. See you all there though.
  • Options
    It seems hard to believe considering the glorious day we've just had,but the BBC 5 day forecast for Canterbury is showing 25 mph winds for Sunday.

It can't be another Whitstable 10K ,can it...?
  • Options
    well, I am glad it is not going to be too hot! I don't mind rain, but the wind can be too much especially if the run is going to be hilly (which I think it will be).

Oh well, we can't control the weather.

Good luck to all you runners out there for Sunday.
  • Options
    Try this site:

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

If you hover the cursor over the thanet peninsula you should see projected wind speeds etc for Manston Airport which is near enough. Between 10 am and 13.00 they are suggesting no higher than 13mph
  • Options
    Scotty4Scotty4 ✭✭✭
    Hi all, what's the best junction/turning to take from the A2 (from London)to get to the HQ. I'm bound to go too far without knowing what landmarks to look out for. Thanks
  • Options
    Hi Scotty.

The route I'm planning to take involves exiting the A2 at the Upper Harbledown turn-off (the first one signed Canterbury),on to the 2nd roundabout,turn right on to the dual carriageway and along past the station to the St. George's roundabout.Turn right (past the cinema on your right) and along the A2050.Take a right turn into the B2068 which becomes the Nackington Road.Merton Lane is on the right just after you go over the A2 and hopefully the route will be signed long before then.

Apologies if that's as confusing as it sounds !

Good luck and enjoy the race.
  • Options
    DJ39

If you go past the station and turn right at the next roundabout, the one before St Georges you will be quicker. The police station is on your right, fire station on the left, ahead at next two sets of lights, past Kent Cricket ground and turn right at the third set of lights into Nackington Lane.

Good luck everybody and give 107 a shout when you overtake me!
  • Options
    Latest wind speed forecast for tomorrow is only about 6-9 mph but 100% chance of rain, so we may get wet!
  • Options
    Thanks Bill-I'll follow your route I think !

The forecast on the BBC website seems to change every time I look at it,so I think we'll just have to take whatever comes.
  • Options
    Well it wasn't windy...but it certainly was wet !

Good race though and special thanks to all the marshalls,drink station people,supporters etc.The conditions were actually very good for running,but not so for standing around for 3 + hours in the rain.

The results are already available on the website.