Options

What's your most embarrassing running moment

Picture the scene, Sunday morning, my first lovely warm spring run of the year, running in the middle of nowhere down country lanes, totally on my own, except for my MP3 player who is great company especially when it’s on shuffle play and chucking out dreadful sad 80s rubbish that I don’t want anyone to know I listen to.

Up until now, my most embarrassing running-related moment had been when I realised I was still singing “wig wam bam” whilst running through a village and plodding past a bemused-looking Sunday morning car washer. Then there was the time I was caught emerging from some woodland having nipped in there to do a Paula, and a distinctly fusty member of the wax-jacket brigade demanded to know what I’d been doing on her property. So I told her, which didn’t do much for her general lack of bonhomie towards the world.

That was until last weekend, when my MP3 started belting out the Time Warp from the Rocky Horror Show. I was having a brilliant time in the middle of nowhere, thinking I was totally alone, singing my heart out, when it came to “it’s just a jump to the left”….. so I did. “And then a step to the right”…… well, what’s a girl to do? “With your hands on your hips”….. er, okay, I can run like that. “You bring your knees in tight”…..hmmm, slightly more difficult, but let’s have a go. “It’s just the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane”…. What the hell, I’m game for a laugh. Then hands in the air for “let’s do the time warp again!”. At which point a group of about 20 cyclists who’d been following me down the road for the past half mile zoomed past me, killing themselves laughing.

OH GOD I’M SO EMBARRASSED!!!!!

I wonder if there’s any chance my sunglasses will stop them from recognising me again????

Comments

• Options
    hehehe...that must of been pretty funny to watch!!
  • Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    Cross training ;-)
  • Options
    Pammie*Pammie* ✭✭✭
    You win.

I certainly can't beat that.
    Sounded fun though
  • Options
    RoobarbRoobarb ✭✭✭
    lol Sinewaif! Sounds brilliant!
  • Options
    Can't wait for your mp3 to shuffle on to Spitting Image's, 'The Chicken Song'
    :0)
  • Options
    AeschylusAeschylus ✭✭✭
    Thanks for making me laugh.....was on a downer because of 'issues' with my teenage daughter, but you've really cheered me up!!!

Poor you, though!!!
  • Options
    slo shoslo sho ✭✭✭
    Thank you also from me Sinewaif! I was getting very stressed and then I read your post and laughed out loud. And you probably made those cyclists' day for them!
  • Options
    Not a running embaressment but I was out with the cycleclub one time and there was this guy signing "time warp"
    Oh how we chuckled :)

Have seen in a race a guy mutter "go johny go" as in the song from back to the future about 3 meters in front guy spins around and says im going as fast as I can!
  • Options
    Very funny! made me laugh for the first time today after a particularly pants day with tummy bug and a vandalised car...a much needed giggle!! sorry i can't outdo you, not had many embarrassing moments when running...yet! i did have a friend who cycled into a cow, with a jam packed beer garden watching (and needless to say laughing) at him!
  • Options
    how the feck do you cycle into a cow?

My skills are lacking then!
  • Options
    well he tells me that he was checking out a girl while listening to his MP3 player and then went around a sharp bend....there was the poor cow!! he is also 6'5" and well built so would have been great to see!!
  • Options
    I feel so much better! Except this poor cow didn't fancy any of the cyclists!
  • Options
    kittenkat, when my husband was five he broke his leg running into a parked car. He spent 6 weeks in traction. So it could have been worse...!
  • Options
    MMM don't know if i should share it... but on my run tonight i had the ipod on shuffle and was beginning to struggle a bit but thanked god when "wired for sound" by cliff richard came on as its got a great beat to run to and it kept me going that little bit longer.....now thats embarrassing.... a) coz its on my ipod b) i put it on there c) i know the words and d) i've shared it with you!!
  • Options
    i don't think i'd dare to share what's on my ipod. I'm sure it equals Cliff, if not worse!!
  • Options
    JjJj ✭✭✭
    6'5" and well built, you say?

moooooooooooooo!
  • Options
    Okay, time to come clean, much more than Wig Wam Bam on mine. Roxette..... Tenpole Tudor.... Here goes, you'll all hate me now - Dolly Parton. Seriously, I love Dolly Parton. And I Wlll Always Love You has me sobbing in my trainers! Then there's the odd stuff, a Southern American rock band called Molly Hatchet - "Hell yeah, son of the South, sweet cherry pie and hush my mouth". Not the track they're most proud of, I should think, but try yelling "hell yeah" every four of five paces uphill, and there's nothing like it!
  • Options
    yeah maybe the cow did fancy a bit!!
  • Options
    Not out running but my water bottle rocked it's way from the edge of a treadmill to the belt and shot out the back as I was doing a full pelt sprint to the finish. It was a grab to slow down as there were peeps on bikes immediately behind me and I had visions of a water bottle explosion (sadly it didn't explode as a wet t-shirt compo would have been most appropriate)
  • Options
    LOL, I can't beat that, Sinewaif! I do have one embarrassing moment and one day I'll pluck up the courage to tell. Perhaps! Anyway, thanks so, so much for making me laugh so much. And I think you sound very endearing doing that - cyclists probably fancied you rotten :-)
  • Options
    ha ha ha!

well I do not often run on a treadmill but it had been a cracking hot week and I really was suffering with the heat so my family went off to go swimming I nipped into the gym!

bottle of water, mp3, tissue (important parts there already!!)
    trotting along minding my own bussines then I thought drink and little dab of the old forehead.. dropped my tissue bent down to pick it up (yes I had got tready on ish!) next thing I know is the most awful pain in my leg and I am running along on my knees like a demented diddy man! straight off the back but not before taking a huge chunk off the front of my shin (just think wonky shopping trolley one wheel!!) and crashed into the wall with MP3 player still blearing out!!! the best of it was no one came and helped me I quietly left the room clutchin my mp3 player bottle of water and you will all be pleased to hear my snotty now blood covered peice of tissue!!
  • Options
    LOL....that IS very embarrasing. I always sing to the MP3 player too. I don't care who is listening really!
  • Options
    Scrummy, that's really embarrassing! have you been back on a tready since??
  • Options
    Scrummy that really did make me laugh out loud..(I think it was the 'running along on my knees' that did it!)

Beats mine, which is sadly only falling flat on my face in front of a bus stop full of people...
  • Options
    BeansBeans ✭✭✭
    Oh my God, Sinewaif and Scrummy I have nearly just pi$$ed myself.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I have copied and pasted both your tales of woe and sent then to my brother's (he is a runner so will appreciate) work e-mail to give him a laugh when he starts in the morning!
  • Options
    M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭
    Just last Weds went out for a run with male friend. Puffed and panted along behind him all the way around and really started to put some effort in towards the end. I got faster, he got faster, I got faster, he got faster. As we rounded the last bend I twisted my ankle on a piece of uneven pavement and collapsed in a heap shouting the F word at the top of my lungs.

When we first started running together I also threatened (quite violently) to put him on a dog lead if he didn't slow down a bit. He reminded me of that last week as well.
  • Options
    oooohh... LOL... Mouse... your ankle ok tho??
  • Options
    thanks O I am so pleased I made someone laugh today!!

well funny thing is since I wear the tw@t stop clip on the tready!! honestly I do and I must say that I still have a lump which has never been right since falling, I had a sports massage 4 months later and there was still some tender spots!!
    I have only done intervals on the tready and it was never my fav bit of equipment but wow the pain of feeling your knees and then your shin burning eek did not need to wax my legs for months!!
  • Options
    .... to cut a long story short....

2 weeks ago got up early for a run and noticed our kitten hadn't come home in the night, Towards the end of my run, I found him dead as a dodo on the side of the road. Came back home and told my wife and kids who all burst into tears. I went in the car to collect him and brought the body home.

My son came and "identified the body" so I phoned the pet cemetry who told me to bring him down for cremation the following day....... we all sat there in the kitchen feeling pretty low when who should wander home......but OUR KITTEN!!

I had someone else's dead cat in my car and an appointment to have it cremated the following day!!

family and friends found this very funny.... I do feel sorry for the cat owners that we never traced though.