Options

What's your most embarrassing running moment

13»

Comments

• Options
    Out on a training run with the club ( a good few years ago ) turned round to look at something on the other side of the road. It was dark, the street lights were out and it was driving rain.
    The next thing I know I'm waking up in hospital being asked what my name is.

Aparently I'd ran headfirst into a very large oak tree and suffered a really bad concussion.

Not that that was bad enough, the main embarressment came in the fact that rumours were going round college that I'd been killed, so they called an emergency meeting and told the whole lot of them what had actually happened to me !!
  • Options
    Minty - I've been to a Singalong SoM - I made outit for my self and my friend's daughter out of a quilt cover and some elastic. We had headscarves in it too. My friend went as a nun. And my daughter refused to sit with us.

The Bounty you throw when they say the 'taste of paradise' (old Bounty ad campaign), the Kitkat you throw when one of them says something like 'take a break' (dcampaign) the rice you throw when you they get married.

So I'm told....

>>>>>>>>>>>sneaks off >>>>>>>>>
  • Options
    This is terrible on a lovely sunny Sunday afternoon, but the DVD's going on...

Must be Brad when they arrive at the castle. I really will get back down the garden before the sun goes down...although that open bottle of red would go ever so well with this.

Ahhh.... getting comfy now.... "Michael Rennnie was ill the day the earth stood still"
  • Options
    SUPERB thread!

Sinewaif I have to give you a cyber-hug for mentioning Dolly's original I Will Always Love You. It's on my MP3 player too and it's one of my all-time fave songs. It's so sad and sweet; just beautiful. How dare that Whitney woman turn it into an overwrought pile of warbly poo. Bah!

I can't listen to music when I'm running - the tunes go round in my head instead. I can frequently be spotted ambling around East London singing Shang-A-Lang out loud, with a massive grin plastered on my face. I guess I don't embarrass very easily...
  • Options
    must admit to one of my more embarrassing moments.

Woodley 10k two years ago, my first race with my iPod, listening to Punka by Kenickie, and found myself steaming down the road doing air guitar <<< hangs head in shame >>>
  • Options
    Fraggle - let's just say I have eclectic musical tastes depending on mood, but I've just typed Kenickie into Frostwire and what came back sounds brilliant so far. Who are they? Tell me they're not hugely famous with about 15 number ones. Musically I sometimes feel like Me'Lud in Crown Court (ITV circa 1985). In my head I'm still 22, so where did all these wrinkles come from? Anyway, from what I've heard so far of Kenickie, try Belly (nobody's heard of them) a track called Feed the Tree. More excellent running music which really helped me this morning hoofing up a hideous hill at 11.5 miles on the way to pick up the car I'd abandoned in Hitchin after Mr Sinewaif's surprise 40th bash. I got absoultely slaughtered, mostly due to relief that everyone actually turned up. Running is just the bestest hangover cure!

Jane - at last a kindred spirit!
  • Options
    Sinewaif - they were around about 10 yrs ago(ish). Lauren Laverne who does C4 music progs was one of their singers.

I too have rather odd tastes - lining up for my 10k this mornign I was listening to 'Jerusalem' to get me stirred up - quickly followed by the Ramones wehn the race started :o)
  • Options
    Fraggle - I love Jerusalem..

I really like Islands in the Stream too....
  • Options
    A colleague of mine went to one of those sing-along-sound of music events in fancy dress, and won first prize!
    She went as a bird, complete with wings, and her husband went as one of the Flintstones. She walked in with him on a lead. When asked what they were supposed to be, she said 'we're...............

an eagle pulling fred!'
  • Options
    I'm still waiting to hear Lyra's story. It must be a good one....
  • Options
    Ah yes, the "forgot my shorts" one.
    I remember.
    It was just a training session, and I arrived at the track direct from work on a hot summer evening.
    Sod it, I'll just have to look like Paula and run in my speedos.

Or was it looking like Linford Lunchpack?

Oh well.
  • Options
    Doing a 5k last year with my 12yo son, he is always out to beat his dad and frankly I dont think he is old enough yet to do that! (However he is pretty close to doing so!)In any case I had managed to stay with him for 3K and he was running good, I seriously thought this was the day, but decided to put in one last effort, so put on a burst of speed and overtook him and ran all the way to the finish. I was secretly delighted that he was a good 4 mins behind me. When asking why he had not performed in the last 2K, he informed me that just as I had passed him, he had stepped in the road to avoid another runner, slipped on a bus stop marker and fallen over quite badly. Apparently a number of runners behind him had stopped to offer assistance, unlike his dad that was running chearfully into the distance! I got some real dark looks at the end!
  • Options
    Whilst running my first 10km cross country, a challenging 3 peaks run, I had a friend running with me and just before the water station I tripped on a tree root and fell flat on my face ! I got up and was ok. That and feeling the run was going on a long time (i.e. my enthusiasm was starting to wane) was embarrassment enough. Here's to future endevours ! Not least my next 10km on Saturday ! I have Bonnie Tyler, Duran Duran and Re-loaded 3 on my MP3 player.
  • Options
    A couple of years ago, I was just starting to run and had got to the stage when I could run for 3 minutes out of every 5. I was religious about going out each day, and was beginning to feel like quite the runner.

It was a miserable wet day, the rain was lashing and I was slogging down a busy road in Ireland. I'd forgotton a ponytail band, so my long hair was dripping around my face. It was also before I'd brought "proper" running clothes, so I was wearing the sort of woeful pink and grey sports wear so often seen in Ireland (what can I say? We have no taste.)

Anyway, a car pulls up alongside me and it was the Gardai, who asked me if I was alright, was I in trouble, did I need a lift.

They simply didn't believe I was "exercising". I came home mortified that I looked more like a desperate woman in trouble than a lean and fit runner!