Options

London 2008

Comments

• Options
    Certainly does sound like you're going to have a busy Summer Katie!

Well done on a fine 5k time, Andy. The only 5k I've ever run was a R4L when I first started running many moons ago. I ran under 20 minutes but had no idea at the time that it was a decent time!!

Did 1 m w/u , 5k @ HM pace (6:50m/m), 1 m c/d this morning.
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Greeings all,

Well done Andy, thats a great time.

Katie - luv your programmme, keep it nutty and mad. Cant wait for the reportss.

Had a bad run due to IBS today so only managed 2m so a bit pi**ed off of is that the other...... TMI...

Take care
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Katie: mad schedule! But you've probably put enough miles in to manage it.

Andy: great 5k time. I'd like to fit in a 5k over the next few weeks - haven't run one since I was 14 (summer of 1978!). Maybe the last Friday of the month in Hyde Park at the end of May would be a good idea.

Just 5 miles in 40 minutes for me today. HR still a little high, but I did 3 quicker miles in the middle and 2 slower ones either end. Feeling good, but I've not yet got the effects of FLM out of my legs - I ran the same route in 37 minutes with HR 7 beats lower in the week before the marathon.
  • Options
    Geoff - the John Carr series is 3x5ks run on consecutive wednesdays at Esholt near Bradford - which to students of the genre will know is the original village used in 'Emmerdale' before the built one at harewood. The course is very fast - with a downhill finish. can't do next week, but will have a blast at sub-19 ina couple of weeks.
  • Options
    Andy I have not run many 5k races, but in March 2005 run a sub 40 min 10k the flattest in the UK, had raised a small amount of money for the Antony Nolan Trust for a young lad that had sadly died 2 weeks before the race was to happen, the start time was 23:59 and for very good reasons.
  • Options
    I loiter around the 'Race for Life' 5K's. Its so lovely actually to finish nearer top end of field than club races where I remain consistantly about half way down.... LOL
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Feeling better today - same 5 mile route as yesterday, 40 minutes again (plus a few seconds), but at 141 ave HR instead of the 150 from yesterday. Felt much easier breathing-wise so I must have had some bug the last few days.

Very hungry all the time though - trying not to eat too much.

My mate has suggested the Wimbledon Common 5k tomorrow - tempting, but I'm supposed to be taking family to the zoo so I think I'll have to give it a miss.

• Options
    Smiffie - mrs andy always does R4L and comes somewhere near the top - best was last year when she came in 2nd.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Andy - have you entered the chevy?
  • Options
    Yep. Not absolutely sure if I'm doing it as I might have something on that night, and the major reason for doing it is a night on the lash in wooler!
  • Options
    Andy from embassy - good isn't it, makes a nice change!

Phew just got in from 20.25 miles in 2:50 only LSR I can fit before Edinburgh 3 wks this Sunday and Bizarrely best LSR..... Half Marathon next week, but not racing it (she says) I'm always so relieved when LSR is done, wears on me during the week!
  • Options
    Envious Smiffie :o(

Took a full week off after FLM. Ran monday and tuesday this week then went paintballing with work on wednesday and spent a few hours running up and down stairs.... since then my quads have felt just as sore as after marathon. Not sure if this is still due to damage from marathon (i've been told it's always worse after your first) or they would have been like it anyway.

Hoping to get a LSR on sunday. Feeling pretty useless right now though.
  • Options
    I'm not aching or stiff, but I'm finding hills and speedwork a no-no. It's like there's no pzzzazzz in my legs.

Gonna stick to half mara distance on Sunday.
  • Options
    Tra la - 10 miles this afternoon - a bit fly-ridden and sweaty, but comfortable enough in 1:19, so just under 8min miles. Bike ride tomorrow, then dragging the kids up Pen y Ghent on Monday. Fell race Tuesday then enforced mini-taper for Leeds half next Sunday.

Lovely weather, eh?
  • Options
    Sounds good Andy.... the sun has only just appeared here about an hour ago

decided to take the legs out for a test drive this afternoon.

2 x 5 miles (would have prefered 10 but I was visiting someone 5 miles away and stopped in the middle). Felt reasonable but took it easy about 45mins each way.
  • Options
    Had a rest today by going to the gym to work upper body. Only run I'm doing today is on the motorbike, just off out for a blast!

12 mile hilly trail tomorrow, heaven help!
  • Options
    WackyRacer - don't worry, my mum put me in my place after I'd run a few Marathons and was chuffed that I was up and about running within a few days. "Well I'd expect that, its not like Marathon distance is new to you..." didn't apprecieate it at the time but probably true? Your first, what a shocker for your legs :)

5K on Treadmill 22mins this morning, bit tired after last night though and very pleased to finish! Low mileage this week, but LSR and 2 speed so pleased enough race on Monday 5M, changed H/M for 5 mile race next Sunday as my son is entered for year 2 race before and Dad doesn't seem keen to take him. Shall run back home to make it longer after.

Bit worried London came too early with back making me loose training, and now feel great too early for Edinburgh......
  • Options
    RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Good running there smiffie.

Did run 2.5m / 5-a-side football 30 mins / 2.5m run last night.

Ached like mad today. Was meant to do 10 mile easy, but that went out the window as RFJ jnr was in one of those moods, so he went on bike whilst I ran to track, and ended up doing a pyramid session 2,4,6,8,8,6,4,2 of 100m recoverys at 6:30 pace.

Recovery planned for tomorrow

Then Shinfield 10K on Monday.

Take care all.
  • Options
    Sorry if I've missed it, but is anyone running Mablethorpe? I'm seriously thinking about having another crack at 3.30 this year. I'm running Snowdonia in Oct, but that is highly unlikely to result in a PB so I'm looking for alternatives. Does anyone know if this would be a good one to do?
  • Options
    MtRMtR ✭✭✭
    Just another 5 mile recovery run for me (and boy am I sick of them!). Just under 40 minutes for just over 5 miles. HR fine, but legs still feel a bit bashed up, worse than a week ago actually.

Planning to do 10 early tomorrow morning - hope it feels OK.

Are others still feeling the effects of FLM. I suppose as it was my first it's going to take a while to get out of my legs, but it's starting to annoy me a bit.
  • Options
    Rain Bow, I was gonna do Mablethorpe cos it's flat and coastal, sounds lush. However, after suffering in the heat at FLM, I chickened out and went for Leicester in October as it should be cooler. Apparently, that's gonna be a flattie now they've changed the course a bit.

Good luck to you, wherever you end up :-)
  • Options
    I've just entered Mablethorpe - online entry systems are just too easy. Snowdonia is at the end of October, so that should give me plenty of time to recover. I'm feeling fine after FLM, I've been running off road a lot and finding that I'm actually going faster than I was during FLM training. I had week of rest after the 22nd and only ran 22 miles this week, but I'll be uping the mileage from now on.
  • Options
    LOL Rainbow, Online systems are far too easy, I need to keep a diary and STOP DOUBLE booking.....
  • Options
    Smiffie - Well done in getting the 20 miler out of the way. I am leaving mine until next Sunday. Just booked accom. for Edinburgh going to make it a long weekend break with the family

MTR - I also think that I still have some of the aftermath of FLM in my legs and am taking each run only as hard as my legs want to go for now.

Going for a longish run tomorrow - planning 12m but will go longer if legs feel ok.

AFE - well done with the sub 20m 5k - never tried one myself but will by trying a couple over the summer.
  • Options
    hello my name is gymfreak and i am completely addicted to running.

i cannot take a rest day even when i need one badly. i must follow a schedule and i must get faster/run longer.

i am a fruitloop and i cant stop running.

• Options
    Mr.RowanMr.Rowan ✭✭✭
    Hi Gymfreak,it's nice to see your back on form again. Rowan
  • Options
    Hiya Gymfreak, good to see you remain level headed and the 'sane one' on this forum...... tee hee. Trouble is I keep entering races...... but that means you need to train ooops keep forgetting that link :)
  • Options
    CT hope your LSR goes OK :)
  • Options
    oooh LSR day for most of us. well, my 'L'SR only gonna be 13. legs are bit tired, ITBS and calves a bit tight. shins not great. me tiredddddd- have a rest day tomorrow anyway thank god. 13m not so bad, its the 35 mile bike ride i have to do after as its only time i have to train for this silly bike event thing. gettin in the way of runnin this is.....

had a good 9 hour sleep tho, hope it might have helped....
  • Options
    Enjoy your run Gymfreak - I'm off for mine too in a bit. You're not the only addict. My other half keeps going on about my obsession but I have no idea what he means. Getting up at 6 on a Saturday to get a run in before going to work all day in a running shop - that's completely normal isn't it?