Options

Great Cumbrian Run Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options

... try this link to a google map of the Sheepmount....not sure how old the map is, but at least you can see the running track!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=

• Options
    ...okay, so that doesn't work!  If you type in Sheepmount Stadium, Carlisle it will come up, I promise!!!
  • Options

Well done lcw.  No excuses for not finding the start now.

• Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Thanks for organising that Millsy. I missed you last year but Mr J and I will definitely be there this time. Looking forward to it very much now!
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    By the way it says 11.30 a.m. on the details on this site - has it changed to 12?
  • Options
    Oh, it says 12:00 in the brochure?  Not sure if they've updated it to a new time on the site? 
  • Options
    *jen*jen ✭✭✭
    Yes, it does say it on the brochure, thanks lcw. Good, more time in bed!
  • Options
    Is it green ribbons again?
  • Options
    Why I am not surprised that you missed us last year Jen?  Get a grip for goodness sake !image
  • Options
    Morgs - No knickers and pencils.
  • Options
    Sorry.  That should have read - No.  Knickers and pencils.  Note the subtle difference!
  • Options

Millsy-Cheers mate and once again thanks.I'll be there with some new folks to the gcr.

Looking forward to meeting up again.

• Options
    hey mick surprised you're still doing it seeing as Sunderland got a good seeing to off Arsenal!  Thought you'd be in hiding!?
  • Options
    'Good seeing to'  JC2!!!...ahem!!
  • Options
    image lol, you know what i mean!!! image
  • Options
    Up the Arse..................................as they say in North London!
  • Options

To save me trawling through all the previous posts, can anyone remember which Italians were said to be good in Carlisle?  I've found 9 restaurants on yell.com! 

Will defo need to do some serious carb loading on Saturday night me thinks image...

...then some serious wine loading on Sunday night image...

...and irn-bru drinking for hangover on Monday image

• Options
    Icw...I think it was Romanos and another one which I cant remember the name of...my sister is over from Spain for the week and coming across to Carlisle to support...last year I was on my tod so I just went for some pub grub...but I will probably go for the pasta option this year as proper italian restaurants arent so intimidating when there is more than 1 of you! 
  • Options
    Giannis, & Casa Romana are probably the two best in the City Centre but I would contact them to try and book beforehand.   
  • Options
    franco's too millsy image
  • Options
    And La Pergola, although they may have to behave themselves and I don't think we can guarantee this to be fair.
  • Options

Millsy...which is the better one...Giannis...or Casa Romana...or are they both pretty much of a muchness?

• Options

I would say Giannis.  I would also suggest that if you have the telephone number you try calling them tomorrow.  We tried to get in last week but failed miserably.

Boycs - Are you sorted yet? 

• Options
    Cheers Millsy...will try and book...glad you mentioned it as we would have just turned up 'on spec'
  • Options
    koichkoich ✭✭✭
    so according to the bbc the weather is 15deg and clouds with a moderate breeze.
    should be good i guess!

had a couple of swims this week to taper down my exercise yet keep active. I'm well up for this now. bring it awn! Look forward to meeting all you chaps by the mysterious blue container. Also browsed the route on google earth which makes the reality of how far 12miles is seem quite daunting!

Its also a good job that i checked my transport. It turns out no trains from glasgow are runing till midday on sunday! so I'm off to Leeds tommorrow and my parents are going to me run me up to carlisle on the day which is nice!

good luck with everyones final preperations.
  • Options

Morning all,

well i've booked Casa Romana for our pasta extravaganza on Saturday night!  Thought i'd go for traditional italian rather than a pizzeria.

oh and James, I hate to break it to you that you forgot about the other 1.1 miles.....Mind you, if you can run 12 miles, what's another 1.1 miles....? easy peasy.

Going to do one last training run at gym...gym instructor says he'll take me through prep work (pasta? At 7am???) and stretches (woo hoo). oh and a little bit of running image  can't believe race is almost here!

• Options
    p.s. forgot to echo James' good luck to everyone for last minute runs!
  • Options

Millsy - I'm sorted mate!!

And have I got a tale to tell? To follow up from my "last minute" predicament of last week, I took Millsy's advice and emailed Mike James to explain about the postal strike etc, just to see if there was any advice that Mike could offer.

Advice doesn't even begin to describe what Mike has done for me!

Because I've been a regular supporter of the run, Mike has not only taken it upon himself to sort my entry out for me but he has also allocated me with the last of the elite race numbers!! Clearly he has never seen me run, as the only running elite that I would ever rub shoulders with would be amongst the snail fraternity!! So if you happen to see race number 5 on a rather "barrel-esque" body, you won't be so confused as to how an elite athlete can run so fast with a fuller figure!!

Mike has also emailed me the race day instructions and told me about arrangements for collection of race no's and chips. Then, as if that wasn't enough, when I emailed back to say "thanks very much...my mind's at rest...I can get on with booking accommodation now", within minutes he replied with the phone number of Premier Travel Inns at Carlisle!! Just how good is that?? I cannot think of another Race Director who would take that level of personal interest and provide you with such a degree of personal assistance!! 

I did say that I would convey this to the GCR forum so here it is!! And I think that my experience here is indicative as to just why the GCR is the successful and increasingly popular event that it is becoming - due primarily to the hard work and commitment that is consistently put into this event by Mike and all of his team - THANKS MIKE!!   

So I'm now entered for the race and Mrs Boycs, Boycs Jr, Baby Boycs and I are all booked in at the Premier Travel Inn nearest to J44 of the M6 for Sat night. Thanks again for your concern and offer of help Millsy!! Thanks also for sorting out the pre-race meeting venue!

And what's more...I've also managed to shoehorn in what will be my final run before race day! Things have been rather busy lately and so I had to force myself out of the front door at a hideously late hour on Tues night and went on my 8.5 mile route. And I'm so pleased that I did because after the first mile or so (which I always hate), I really enjoyed the rest of the run. I felt much stronger than I have done for a long time and I got round in 1.32, still somewhat slower than I've been used to but it was 4 mins faster than I did for the same route only 2 weeks earlier, so hopefully, things are on the up!!  

Hope everyone's final preparations are going well.