Options

Malvern Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    I have alerted the great leader of the Malvern Joggers, to see if he can do anything...

Paws crossed.
  • Options
    hold on a sec. Lets not be too hasty, it does say "if nessary" in the quote and as yet Upton doesn't look that bad.

check this picture for a start.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/07/uk_enl_1183032071/html/1.stm

As you can see. the flood barriers are holding at this point.
  • Options
    Whilst I sympathise with the views expressed the half marathon is only part of a day of events Acorns and Worcester AC is putting on with the aim of raising funds and awareness of this very worthy cause.

The weather conditions in this area are virtually unheard of and tomorrow's forecast is poor - to put any race on whilst keeping runners safe will be a major undertaking.

IMHO any race is better than no race.
  • Options
    I don't know yet what we will do

but if we do withdraw... we will NOT seek a refund

This cause is for Acorns terminally ill children

i know, we have spent 19 years nursing our Phillip

i would not mind, but Acorns do top work... only to be hindered by bloddy incompetant social workers
  • Options
    For godness sake stop moaning! How was anyone to know we were going to have a sequel to Noah's Ark! No one could make provision for the weather we have had and to even put on a reduced event, if required, in the circumstances deserves credit.

If you don't like it stay at home and taking money off a charity says it all!

Bah humbug !!
  • Options
    Was thinking I wouldn't bother, but if they are willing to run it under these conditions, then I think I am willing to run it as well, if you see what I mean! I can appreciate the frustration of those who really wanted to do a half marathon, however - fortunately it is not so important to me at the moment as I'm just doing it as part of marathon training, and wasn't looking for a PB anyway.
  • Options
    My point is that it would not be too difficult for them to make it full half marathon distance. The race ends in the 3 counties showground which is a huge area - the race for life takes place here, and it would be easy to fill in the missing mile and a half by doing a lap. (Although the other 2 events going on might make it tricky).

Flood barriers unfortunately do not protect the low lying fields that always flood - because they are at the bottom of the basin. And there are only barriers on one side of the bridge.

One area that the route takes in is already flooded (under 6 foot yesterday) - the hope is that the water will subside by sunday.

I am sure it has gone down a couple of feet today.

Ironic that they moved it to July because the weather was so bad in May last year! Sunday should be good running conditions anyway. :)
  • Options
    Good news is that saturday's forecast has now changed from heavy to LIGHT rain.
  • Options
    I'm sorry I didn't really realise about the charity thing....seeing as that is the case there is no way I would seek a refund! I apologise for sounding very mean spirited.

I appreciate it has been tough for them to put on a race in very difficult circumstances and reading back my previous replies I sound like a right moaning minnie. Its just I really had my heart set on putting the 'half marathon jeebies' to bed after ending up in the back of an ambulance at my last one :-(
  • Options
    Gary

Your a beginner ahh

Wishing you much success in your running career

if you enjoy it all as much as we do, can be up to 55 races a year, then you'll be happy !
  • Options
    Good news is that saturday's forecast has now changed from heavy to LIGHT rain.

Doh!

Bad news is that Saturday's reality is heavy rain.

• Options
    I've felt really bad about how mean I've been about this saying I wanted a refund etc.
    Now I've decided I don't think I will run, purely because its quite a long drive for me and in bad weather conditions this could be very unpleasant :-(
    So instead I'm going to return my chip, with a letter thanking the organisers for trying to still continue despite everything and a cheque with what I would have spent on petrol getting there as a donation to acorn.
  • Options
    Come on you lot

We are all entitled to our opinion

lets just thank our selves luck ahh

As much as Acorns etc do, and try to do, some of these children have NO life at all

Please pardon me for me blowing my big mouth off

But my Phillip is one of the few very lucky ones !!!!!!!!!

Some sick and disabled children
    ( probably most actually ), are stuck in 4 walls, not knowing what a life is

my Phillip...

micknphil-marathonlads.co.uk...he's lucky he's out in all weathers 52 weeks a year

Me, daddy Mick, my only reason for my might not be there is road conditions, that's all

all of you enjoy the run
  • Options
    i forgot to say

A lot of events, probably most... donate to some charity... or charity's

But when some ask's , i'd love to run, pushing my sick love one in their wheelchair...even as skilled as us ... you'd be ASTONISHED, it's just NOT catered for !!

Running is our life, our WHOLE life

Just me and Phil, mile after mile...

NO pain... just sheer JOY

i'm afraid though most like life is for ONLY the able bodied

You'd have thought by now, they'd have had a FLM Disabled marathon with experienced helpers

i have out it to DB...

don't hold your breath people

Your joking are'nt you
  • Options
    I have received the folowing from the Race organiser via E mail - incase you haven't received it.

Re: Acorns Great Malvern Triple Run, Sunday 1st July 2007

Due to the adverse weather conditions and localised flooding around Upton upon Severn the Race Organisers have planned an alternative route which it is more than likely may have to be used on Sunday.

This will result in a reduced course of 11.7 miles but we are confident that this altenative would be in the best interests of and to the safety of all participants, whilst maintaining the integrity of the race.

Please allow good time for arriving at the event, especially considering recent weather conditions.

The Race Organisers are pleased to confirm that the Spring Run and Chicken Run are definitely able to take place as originally planned.

We ask for your understanding and thank you for your support for the work of the Acorns Children's Hospice Trust.

The Race Organiser

Acorns Great Malvern Triple Run
  • Options
    Gary

Your a beginner ahh

Wishing you much success in your running career

if you enjoy it all as much as we do, can be up to 55 races a year, then you'll be happy !

FYI. Running for 20 years. 6 FLM and 5 NYC marathons under my belt, so thank you for the patronising response.

It is easy to critise but far more difficult to come up with a solution. I was looking forward to a fast half, but in the circumstances I am grateful for any sort of race at all. The easy option would have to been to call he race off.
    I think the organisers deserve a great deal of credit for this race going ahead in the circumstances and the attitude of some, beggars belief.#

Tip, let prople think you are a fool, rather than open your mouth and remove all doubt.
  • Options
    Does anyone know if the roads leading to the 3 counties show ground are Ok, or am I going to get stuck on the way to the start? :-)
  • Options
    Gary...i apologise

i obviously read wrong

i do apologise ..i was'nt try to be patronising at all

Your profile says your a beginner under a yeasr of running

So, i was merely try to wish you much success

But obviously your an established runner as it is ...

i am sorry i've offended you ...i'm simply read your profile, sometimes i need inspiring myself

As for the rest of the runners, well they can think what they like of me !!

Mick
  • Options
    Gary

i could not e mail you privately to explain and profoundnly apologise as you have no mail adress switched on !

• Options
    Will, if coming from M50, the main road from Upton to Malvern was open again at 5pm today and the river has gone down quite a lot. If coming from M5 Junction 7, those roads are fine.

The one road now that will cause them having to use the alternative route is a little country lane by Clive's fruit farm that floods badly. It does not affect road access to the start. I don't know how it is today I am afraid.

We have not had nearly as much rain today as expected. Not much at all.

Hope you manage to run Mick, I will give you and Phil a cheery shout if I see you.

Hope you all enjoy it those of you who are coming.
  • Options
    Hi Badger

yes thanks

As much as i enjoy my running

Al i want to do at the moment is make sure i've not offended this other runner

running means nothing where as people should mean everything
  • Options
    YOu have done nothing to offend - you were just being supportive to somebody you rightly assumed was a beginner as it says so on their profile!

Peace
    z
  • Options
    good luck to all you brave bods tomorrow - chucking it down in wales at the mo, so its on its way to you!!

mick n phil - respect as always - you guys kick ass!!

gary - you need to change your profile, as your experience certainly doesn't show through on your description. take that as a tip rather tahn slagging off good meaning fellow forumites
  • Options
    Good luck to you all today.

I have decided not to run this and I will be returning my chip in the post. The thought of driving up from south wales and finding flooded roads etc not a good start to a race and also the reduced mileage as well.

Hope the rain isn't too heavy for you all.

Sian
  • Options
    I hope everyone had a good race. I (garmin) clocked it at just a fraction over 12 miles. Great support from everyone. Nice bit of rain at about 10 miles. (probably shouldn't say that as the was to blame for the re-route!) Came in at 1h 23m.
  • Options
    I clocked it at 12.1 miles too. I didn't run very well, but like RGR, I really appreciated the rain as I was seriously overheated at the time.

A good event, and one that I would like to run when I'm fit (if that ever happens). 1h 31m would have been acceptable for a half, but not a 12-miler!
  • Options
    Yep, 12.1 miles appeared on my Garmin as well. The markers were out by about .15 round the course but hey, what I think we should all praise are those supporters that stood out in that downpour. THANK YOU to you.

• Options
    It's a shame the weather had such an impact on the day. However, I really enjoyed the race and was grateful that the organisers went to the trouble of finding an alternative route. Had to travel quite far and a few days ago had decided not to do the race. However, am really glad I made the effort- didn't realise it was 12miles. I didn't run my best today- was slower than normal and took 1hr57 but am happier now I know it was over 12 miles.

How strange was the weather?- found the sun at the start a bit too much so was v happy when it rained. nearly skidded at the finishing line with all that wet mud bit scary. But at least my lipstick stayed on perfectly throughout the race which was fantastic!

Didn't seem to be many people there- a lot less than I expected which was perhaps becoasue of the weather and the course being shortened?

Hope everyone had a great day? may see you there again next year.
    LR

• Options
    I'm frustrated!
    Started taking running more seriously in the last few months and have been aiming to complete a sub 2hr half marathon. First attempt was at Forest of Dean in March when after all the training I was ill on the weekend of the race and struggled round in 2h7mins. Now I've just run really well at Malvern (1h43mins) and would have completed my sub 2hr half but for the missing mile.
    I'm going to try Stroud in October. Can anyone suggest any others within reach of Worcester?
  • Options
    Matthew

Congratulations, this isn't the flatest of courses and weather conditions weren't perfect.

Next year I would recommend Stratford and Tewkesbury, both flat courses where you will achieve your goal - but hey by next April you might be looking at 1:30.

I live in Worcester as well and go to Silverstone most years in March for the London half, there's not a more PB friendly course (as long as there isn't a gale force wind + horizontal hail).