Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Crunching along on the ice for around half an hour with my daughter who has started to come out with me.  I think we only did about 2 miles and it took us about half an hour!  Who cares,we enjoyed it and came back with pink cheeks! image
  • Options
    Well done  Mrs PP- you were out there when thousands of others weren't... whatever the distance it's all good!
  • Options

1st proper long run in 2 weeks this morning - pounded the pavements for 11.5miles in 94mins. The left foot is holding up, not too much discomfort. It was cold and frosty but at least the pavements were not too icy. image

• Options
    my first run today sine October 10th, injury free now, VLM training starts here. A slow 5.8miles 46 minutes, nice to get out again though, loved it.
  • Options

It was supposed to be the Southwell Millenium 10K today, but it got cancelled as the roads were far too icy ... very slippy under foot walking for half a mile to the race HQ.  So, about 9 of us from the club went back to someone's house and ran just over 6 miles cross country with a killer hill.  Very enjoyable and fun and muddy! image

Now to start the marathon training ......

• Options
    Hi folks - I finally managed to get out for a run this morning.  Feels like ages since I last run but circumstances at work etc made it difficult and then along came the snow and ice.  The ice has finally cleared this morning so I decided to go for a nice easy short run.  Pleasantly surprised that it didn't feel too hard and it doesn't look like I have lost any of my fitness over the last couple of weeks.  Santa gave me a nice new garmin for Christmas and I managed to get it set up last night, now just need to download the information from my run onto the computer.  As I said my run was nice and short this morning and I didn't even see anything worth reporting on.  Distance was 3.4 miles in a time of 29mins and 45 secs which gave me an average pace of 8.33min/miles.  Loads of other info on the garmin but as I said just getting to grips with understanding it all myself.  I hope to be able to get another run in before the new year now that all the ice has cleared up and I can stay upright.image
  • Options
    Did a 6 miler yesterday in just under 45 minutes, first run in 5 days felt really sluggish and today my left calve feels like it is going to pop, wanted to get out again today but will have to see how leg is after work. After new year festivities its back to the training, doing watford and reading halfs in spring followed by the Brighton and Edinburgh Marathons in April and May so needing to get back into it asap.
  • Options

A 4.5 Mile Fartlek Session, (off road again) this morning.

My heart and lungs were surprised at this session.

Think we're due more snow up here in West of Scotland later this week.

• Options
    Too many runs to report, but they've all been around the 30 mins mark. The knee is almost better now, and I had a nice (if wet) run with my trainer this afternoon. I just need to be careful about building up the miles now. I'm sticking to 3 runs per week, increasing one by 5 mins each week.

Mileage this year (ala Marsh):

Jan 25.62 - coming back from a foot injury
    Feb 90.43 - into the FLM training
    March 125.09 - building up the long runs!
    April 65.63 - including FLM
    May 41 46 - ticking over
    June 41.98 - knee problems started
    July 6.17 - ah
    August 0
    Sept 0
    Oct 2.93 - better than nothing!
    November 17.00 - the comeback starts
    December 26.92 - more like it!

Total 2009: 443.54 (180 less than 2008)

Here's to a healthier 2010!
  • Options
    SazzaG wrote (see)
     Here's to a healthier 2010!

Let's hope so Sazzaimage

(My total mileage for 2009 was 1400.87 miles)

micknphil - Legends! great work there keep it upimage

• Options

Easy 3 miles this morning.

Got a bit of a cold, so didn't want to push it.

Still cold and icy up here

• Options
    Did a 25min hill profile run on the treadyimage, and a 15-min programme on the steps (it's x-training day!)
  • Options

After a fortnight of not running due to me being one of the group that can't run on slippy surfaces, I found myself this lunchtime three blocks from work on damp, but ice-free pavement.  Jogged (not ran) back to the office in office shoes, trousers, tie, etc.  It only took a couple of minutes, but it was a great feeling to be moving again.

I must've looked like an idiot.

• Options
    Love to have seen thatimage
  • Options

I did my first training run in 2 weeks today. Although it was nippy, with 2 layers, shorts, gloves and hat, I was more than warm enough. It stayed dry and I really enjoyed the fresh air. I completed 8.3 miles in a nice and slow 78 minutes. A gym session tomorrow and then the Pennine 10K on Sunday to look forward to image.

• Options

A 5M Steady run  today.

800m on icy paths to/from fields, then 4M off road.

Okay run.

• Options

The last run of the decade was on the treadmill image It snowed so much overnight that the roads were treacherous to run on.

Did 2 20 minute sessions - the first one being a one with varying inclines (from 2% to 10%) at a constant speed (9:00/mile, but the inclines made it tough). During that I averaged 75% MHR and peaked at 86% on the last 10% incline.

After a 10 minute break I went and did a 5K tempo run (6:45/mile), finishing in 21:16. Not a bad treadmill workout at all.

Here's to 2010.

• Options

Ahhhhhh last run of the year was running home following a 2 hour session at the play barn with the kids - tired before I started but managed a hilly 6.4 miles in under an hour which also included a little chat with some people in the village....

Running Duck- hope you get outside again soon- to be honest if it's too cold or icy to go out I never think of the gym, perhaps I should! 

Off to tot up my year total now but doubt I'll get halfway to Marshy's image

• Options
    About 4 miles on forest paths and the pavement back to a defrost in a hot shower.  Niggly hip still whispering to me.  VLM training starts on Monday image.
  • Options

Couple of off-road events over the festive period: Boxing Day saw a snowy but not too icy Chevin Chase at Guiseley, west of Leeds.  825 finishers and a few sliders but no fallers image  Superbly organised, sold out [1000 limit], varied route and a lightning-fast finish.  7 miles, 1:07:51, and 509th.

Today, the Auld Lang Syne fell race near Haworth, not too far from Top Withens, believed to be the 'Wuthering Heights" location.  Run over the old course because of dangerously icy tracks, this is one of the most taxing runs I've done.  Having stripped the skin off my rt shin slipping in mud, the dubious joys of running on snow didn't really cheer me up a great deal image  However, with nuns on the run and assorted fairies for company, I saw the funny side and finisged the 5.5 mile course in 1:12:51 [unofficial].  Coffee, mince pies, Highland pipers and a large fish pie repaired my battered frame image

Happy New Year, all!  image

• Options

First run of the new year

Treadmill - 5.2 miles in 37:48 (7:09/mile)

Disappointing to have to use the treadmill the first day of the new year - hopefully not a foreshadowing for the future. Decided to see how I was faring before the Silverstone Half - so did some running at my intended pace for that race, with a 1% gradient. Averaged 78% MHR and peaked at 85% (mostly due to cardiac drift). Time on my Garmin was 37:48 but the treadmill takes about 30 seconds or so to get up to speed, so actual time is probably nearer 37 flat.

• Options

5.48 miles in 46:05 (8:24/mile)

Managed my first run of 2010 and my first run with my new Garmin 305 image. Pavements were very frosty but I managed to use the roads as there was not much traffic about. It was snowing when I set off but it stopped after 10 minutes. A nice steady run and good to get off the mark. My fingers are firmly crossed for the Pennine 10K on Sunday as frost could scupper the race. Happy New Year everyone. 

• Options

Good effort Swittle- races are great -I wish we had a few more locally to stretch me. 

RD- do you think you will do that pace outside, or is the treadmill quicker-seems very speedy to me.... 

Rang my dad & he was just setting out to visit us so I pulled on my kit & legged it in his direction. Managed to get to 5 miles before he met me in 45mins. Road was clear although the pavements (where there were any) were still a bit icy. Car gauge said -1 so explained the frosty feeling in my lungs.

I'm a bit worried though as hope to do VLM in 9mm which today felt hard so Goodness knows how I'll sustain it for another 21 miles.

Totted up my 2009 miles- started running in Feb & did 542 miles by the end of the year.  image

• Options
    Was planning to goout first thing, looked out the bedroom window ans saw that the pavements were white over, i then looked back over my shoulder at my warm bed abd decided that was the better option. however went out at lunchtime and did 9 and aquarter miles.
  • Options
    Walked 5 miles thru forest with children and then decided I couldn't legitimately class that as a run.  Went out this evening with brass monkeys for 3.  First run of the year: DONE!
  • Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Cheers, Camlo.  Unfortunately for me, there were photographers all around the course and one of my chums has been rooting out links to the three of us who ran it imageimage  If I feel brave enough, I might post....

At this stage, there's no need to worry too much about a target Marathon pace - in the cold, our bodies are less efficient 'cos they're using up energy to keep warm as well as run; hence you found it tougher today.  When the cold snap ends, you'll be able to settle on a pace that suits a long, slow distance. image

7 miles recovery on aching legs involved road, path, trail, grass, dune & beach close to the coast - perhaps a little too far after the event yesterday image

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Auld Lang Syne fell race, 31.12.09, near Haworth.  5.54 miles, 792 feet.

Heading for home!!

• Options
    Pounded the pavement for my first run of the new year - 13.5miles in 1:42, lungs max out not so much for the cold, think it was more to do with too much of some forbidden liquid last night image It was freezing cold and fingers frozen despite gloves; think will 2 pairs if temperature stays like thisimage
  • Options
    Camlo wrote (see)

RD- do you think you will do that pace outside, or is the treadmill quicker-seems very speedy to me....

I think so, I wasn't struggling or feeling like I was running out of breath at any point so I was happy with the pace. I still have 10 weeks' worth of training to fit in though, so even if I'm not totally there yet I should be fine come race day. The racetrack is fairly flat as well, the only problem will be the wind.