Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

9.30 is not to be sneezed at - I'd be very happy with that!

My time came back at 2:12.47 which is what my Garmin said. Last finisher was 3:17 so I feel pretty OK about my time.

• Options

Well SB 1:23 is very good indeed

A  good indication of a sub 3 hour marathon time depending on what sort of training is actually being done at marathon pace.

Was the half run very negatively or are you an even pacer?

• Options

Morning.  4 mile recovery run, it's turned cold and wet and resulted in unwelcome numb hands.

Thanks for the comments.  Stephen - I went out too quickly but I kind of did so on purpose.  I ordinarily run negative splits but decided to try and push things from the get go for once, so ran at 1.22 pace.  I could tell by mile 4 that I wouldn't be able to sustain it.  I had 50 miles in the legs from the previous 6 days and I could feel it. Obviously my second half of the race was slower but I still don't know how much better I could have done if I had gone out more conservatively so i'm not too disappointed by the approach.

• Options
    carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

SB - are you still planning to be at one of the water stations at Manchester ?

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Holy bloody monkeys that's a fast half SB. Between you and marshallini's 10ks I'm a bit of an old donkey. Sadly that's the only similarity to a donkey.

21.9miles up to Beningbrough Hall. Took the roads rather than the riverside. 2hrs48 moving time as I had to stop for a pee and a train. Hoped it might be quicker but there were some ponderous miles on the way out. For the second time in a few days I hadn't really intended to go that far. I've run 20 miles by mistake...
  • Options

Nope, not having that JT.  We all know you're a flame heeled flying machine trapped in the body of a man who's allergic to racingimage  You'd smash it in a race.  Cheers though and i've genuinely taken myself aback with my progress this year, i've made some giant leaps forward that I never thought i'd make in my most optimistic dreams.  Funny how things turn out.

Carter - I never got around to badgering them again after they blanked my initial request.  Maybe they just don't want Yorkies involved.  In other matters, I took my Welsh nephews to their first ever Leeds game recently.  The one where we painfully inflicted a gruesomely dull 0-0 draw with your lot on 31,000 innocent victims.  They loved the day though and hopefully i've stopped them becoming Liverpool or worse, Manchester United fans like half the kids in Wrexham are.  They'll thank me in years to come.  Right?  image

• Options

What 10k's are those JT? image

Tonight's run nearly never happened I was so tired during work I had planned to go straight to bed, but walking out of work it was such a lovely evening I put on my running kit in the car park, drove home, got out and ran.

And I am much happier for it now imageimageimage

Nice little figure of 8.  Up to the cash and carries, round the old lane across and down towards Urenco, it must of been end of shift as there was loads of traffic and no footpath but as it was all going and not coming it wasn't too bad (note to self; run this route earlier or later).

Nothing fancy or exciting just a good solid, pretty even paced run, although as I turned at the roundabout and was about to head in to the estate I spotted a day-glo hare.  I had to chase him down, I never caught him as he carried on straight and I'd already added extra distance and following him would have been too much.

5.6 miles -  41:40  - 7:27 m/m image

• Options
    JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Sorry marsh, meant the fleet 5ks. Very kind SB. I'd smash something in a race, but it might be my fibula. Great to see how you and Ness have so effectively progressed your running preparing for the VLM. One of my young nephews goes to Elland Road too. The football's not so great but he does enjoy the swearing.

Take care Swittle. You're the most experienced here on managing your body for regular running. But still, don't bugger yourself up for the sake of the streak.

Hello everyone else.
  • Options
    Swits - take it easy. Maybe a few days of streak savers?

JT - top mileage, sounds like you're over your bug

Marshallini - good running!

SB - your improvement has been ridiculous over the last few months. Coincides with joining a club I believe? Looks like you're well on track for a monster marathon time.

Me - my first run with the club since the marathon tonight. 7.5 miles, around about my marathon pace, and it felt tough. To be expected I guess, but it's odd! I know I need to easy myself back in but I don't want it to be too long before I can get some quality training in. Southampton half is at the end of April, I've got plenty of long miles banked so I need to get some quality speedwork and long tempos in ahead of that. Gym work and easyish miles for the next week or so though while the legs recover.
  • Options

Some great weekend running all round, particularly from SB!

Despite the doom mongering of three weeks ago I went out and completed the Reading half and despite aiming for a conservative time of 2.10 I managed it in 1.59.31 and more importantly no injuries, I had to push a bit in mile 10 to keep the right side of a two hour pace and the hill up to the stadium at the end seemed to go on forever! It really was a great day and a good confidence boost as I go into the last six weeks of marathon training.

• Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Strangely- absolutely brilliant PB mate image You are going to be so strong for London.  less than 5 weeks eeeek!

and another nice time from PMatt.

JT- there's a woman who I've been running with from the club on a Sunday morning, who joins us for 18/20 mile runs just *for fun*.  You would get on with her. I'm much more in awe of her than I am the likes of me, who does it only with a target in mind..

Swittle- alright mate?

Welcome back to carter

Me- just 5 miles recovery to stretch out the legs. Felt quite pleasant and slow.  

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Nicely done, Matt. That last bit of the half marathon does seem to last ages, doesn't it? (Mine wasn't up hill, but the course headed for the finish area and then veered off again, which was a bit mean!)

Good luck with the marathon.

• Options

we've been doing some - but not a lot - i'm recovering from lung surgery, so everything is slow

our last run / walk was Reading HM - in 2.50  - a far cry from the old days

everything last year and this year - which is not a lot i can say - has been long and slow -

Phil going on 27, 6ft tall - 11 stone - me, an old bugga nearly 57 - grandad now to 5  

hope all is well with everyone

• Options

JT - Enjoyed the early morning comedy!

Ness - Thanks a million and yep, it's getting flipping close now.  I was very pleased to run strongly at Wilmslow but just as chuffed to finish without any new niggles.  I probably shouldn't be so paranoid (sadly, a 27 year old lad is currently fighting for his life after collapsing at mile 12.  Puts everything into sharp perspective when worrying about getting a sore toe or summat). 

Jack - You're absolutely right!  Although I think the other factor has been that I didn't really race much in the summer so I had very little idea of where I was at pace wise.  The summer speed work clearly moved me on and then the club has just helped further.  Glad you enjoyed Barca, it's a great place eh?  You'll take some memories that will last your lifetime from there, no doubt.

Matt - Thanks sir and that's a bloody impressive effort from you, taking over 10 minutes off your target?  Some going that, you must have seriously pushed it.  Has that adjusted your Marathon time aim then?

10 miles this morning for me with a protesting body being dragged around the streets by a willing mind.  I hoping that might have shaken the last of the fatigue out from Sunday.  A bit of roller action tonight and hopefully i'll be feeling perky again tomorrow.

• Options

Cheers SB, my last hm was 2.16 but my pb is 1.55 so 1.59 wasn't too much of a push. I think the 2.10 target was a result of recent injury setbacks plus marathon training meaning that I wasn't going to go all out for a pb despite it being known as a fast course. I think I'd be happy to do the first half of the marathon in 2.10 so I keep energy for the latter stages.

• Options

A lovely sunny but chilly early evening 8 miles at 10 mins 3 seconds average pace image

Outwards our shadows taller than our souls running in front of us and blinded by the sunset on the way back, when we were given a decent race by a very lithe little grey farm cat.

Lovely.

• Options
    swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Thanks for the thoughtful words.  Pain in hip has been downgraded to discomfort and I made a thorough tour of Victoria Park - just on my doorstep in case of *bad things* - lasting 20 minutes at 7am.

• Options
    Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

back to training after Thames Meander marathon and painting in Berlin at a disused spy station, so did a nice decent paced 8 miles yesterday and 70 length swim today! Entered the Hole Park Trail half marathon this sunday for some trail training, should be good!

Here's the pic I painted in Berlin ( shameless self promotion i know! )

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10995533_798694436881970_9197520394272400934_n.jpg?oh=2610e7f07f1206d649a50367b385ce1d&oe=55BE6F8D&__gda__=1438369511_8d791ebbe0fecd57d32995184b33fd83

• Options
    Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭

Very nice, Dank!

• Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Welcome back Mick! Great to see you here again!!

Swittle- sounds more positive

Dan- tell more about the Tokyo and Thames marathon (one distinctly more exotic than the other). Not seen your around for a fair while

• Options

Mick, that sounds like a good time given the circumstances and well clear of the tail enders! 

Just went out for the first time after the hm and got 7 fairly decent miles in, it seemed to take ages to get into my stride though and it wasn't really until mile five that I really felt comfortable. Also annoying to see the first signs of possible black toe nail problems on my fourth toe on my left foot-not sure if it's a result of having compression socks a bit too tight or possibly the trainers I'm using which are still fairly new and have only done 45 miles. I'll do my next run over a short distance and without the socks and see how it goes.

• Options
    Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

Nessie - Tokyo Marathon was incredible, so much positive encouragement from every water station all along the entire run, a superb route, seeing some incredible sights of Tokyo, Imperial Palace was amazing, I loved it, was so amazing, will be back next year for sure!

Thames Meander was so different, a good marathon alongside the Thames, but lots of running alone, and then trying to avoid a yacht race with people swinging huge boats in front of you and not caring that you were running a marathon, still enjoyable though and the medal is superb, on par with London Marathon medal, Tokyo marathon not as good!

Next up for me is Three Forts Trail Marathon May 3rd, then my 42 mile Ultra 4 weeks after, should be epic! image

• Options

Nice work Dank image

Same plan as Monday, change at work, drive home, abandon car in the drive and go straight out.

6.06 miles - 44:39 @ 7:22 ave m/m. An out and back along the A41 to the Zoo. I was targeting a sub 45 for 6 miles with a negative split and that's what I got (22:27/22:12)

• Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Dan a busy year of running then image

Me- a speedy 6.5 mile club run followed by 3 much more relaxed miles home.

• Options

Morning

20mins easy.

It's snowing here this morning !

Really busy at work a 13 hour shift today.

Catch up eventually

• Options

Dan - Some impressive runs there to say the least.  One heck of a daunting schedule mind.  Not sure my body would cope very well with all that.

Birky - Had a light smattering here last night too.  I get very bored of winter weather at this time of year.  We've had a lot of frosts already this March and i'm just itching for warm, sunny days now.  Grrrr.

10 miles last night with 6x1000m intervals.  Gawd was it tough on tired pegs but a rewarding session all the same.

• Options
    Dank-artDank-art ✭✭✭

insanely muddy Trail 5.5 miles this morning, trying out some new kit, didn't like my Inov8 X Talons at all....maybe need to think of another shoe for the ultra? Salomon Speedcross 3 perhaps?

• Options

Fantastic picture Dan and fantastic running too.

The moral of my running experience today is not to try running in really chilly temperatures (snow still on the ground) when you've just sat in a very cold bedroom / office all day with your legs squashed under the desk because it makes your hamstring hurt.  Didn't even manage half a mile before I had to turn round.  image

Try again tomorrow.......

• Options

I loved my x-talons.

This evening run - 4.62 miles 33:35 @ 7:16 m/m.

A little shorter this time and my legs were feeling it, but it was a tad faster than the previous two runs.

Resting now until the parkrun.  Targeting a sub 21image

• Options
    Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

like strangely, the legs are feeling the miles a little.  Just a run to work and back today, a 5 mile-ish round trip but keeps the miles ticking over and is a fairly nice way to bookmark the day, even in the rain.  +