Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Cal, good to get an encouraging time. I used to go to Chelmsford back in my uni days to watch cricket. Nice memories.
    Never been passed by a tree. There must be a joke here but I'm buggered if I can think if it!
    Fab if you could get that 4.15 but the pressure shouldn't get to you.
    I trust you won't be running a parkrun the day before The Big One?
  • Options
    I actually did before Manchester this year so I'm planning on doing so again, though it won't be an all out effort, just a leg loosener.
    Today I did my last double figures run - 10 miles. Was cool and sunny, perfect. Started slow (well sluggish - it usually takes a few miles for my legs to get moving) and at 4 miles it already felt like I'd gone a long way. But soon as I started to push the pace it felt a lot better. I finished with three miles around MP, which felt quite challenging, but I was wearing my big squashy Invincibles and I expect it will be easier in my Vapors with a bit of race day magic sprinkled on top. 

• Options
    Cal, all looking good. Now you just need to get to the starting line in one piece.

The Eastbourne 10k was fine. Fantastic conditions at the scenic end of the town, quite near Beachy Head. A,well organised and very friendly event.

43.37 from me was a tad slower than I expected  but the course was more than a tad harder too. When I see 'prom' I expect flat. And the prom part was flat. The rest of it was a long slow uphill slog followed by a steep, short downhill section that you needed to run with the brakes on.

So not a PB course. However, I won the 60-69 age cat which was why I went. So no complaints at all!
  • Options
    Race day magic is great isn't it !? I'm always amazed at how hard training sessions can be only for it to fall in place race day...

Cal great to see improvement and all the effort syncing up ! What is the Chrome plugin you are using ? I user the Parkrunner app with some fun challenges but only available on iPhone

Good running as well John, 43m 10k is my next target I think. 

I had parkrun with the dog, his usual 'I want to mark every 30 feet' and the the Great Bristol Half Marathon Sunday. Paced that @5.00 to try get my bessie to 1.45 but we failed, he blew up around 14k and managed a 1.50. I busted out 2 quick k's at the end to try get under 1.45 but ended up 1.46 - I'll take that.

Best takeaway from that is the pace felt easy so a long as I rest and recover well now Cardiff HM on Sunday should be a good tester. Looking to beat PB of 1.38 and drop to below 1.35

Doggo got carried away with our sprint finish

• Options
    DH well done mate. I'm sure that the dog must slow you down??
    Was this Bristol course a fast one? I I saw on you tube someone a bit disappointed at missing her target for the 10k saying that the course was twisty and undulating.
    Of course we all are tempted to blame the course (e.g. me at Eastbourne) when we dont quite perform to the optimum.
    I really can't do that at my local flat, straight, out and back Worthing parkrun or the upcoming totally flat 10k which I am really targeting as an SB. But if it's windy then I can always fall back on that as my excuse of choice.
    And like you I'll be aiming for a sub 43.*

*unless it's windy, of course!
  • Options
    Yeah Bruno is next to useless... He stopped for a poop not 300m into the course and starts to wane around 3k. Usual time is 30-32m for him so yeah forces me to slow down which is fine at times 

Bristol I don't think is particularly fast and I agree undulating and many many corners. I had a horrendous race last year aiming for sub 50 in the 10k, so this year was to make up for that. The first 6k is all slightly uphill which we think was the reason he faded at that 14k mark.

I'm really hoping that Cardiff is not windy Sunday. The barrage at the bay can be horrendous and will ruin any type of PB for me

Anyway light run for me tonight, by butt still aches but amazingly my legs were fine the day after ! 
  • Options
    Well done, John.
    DH, I'm concerned about Sunday too...it's going to be quite warm but also wet and a bit breezy, none of which fill me with joy. I'm hoping the forecast changes before then.

I use Running Challenges: https://running-challenges.co.uk/ 
    Works for Chrome or Firefox.

5 miles today...nothing remarkable. Got a big and expensive trip to the dentist tomorrow. Joy.
  • Options
    And 4 miles today. Cold. Right hammy was a bit grumpy so decided to err on the side of caution.
  • Options
    DH, I had to remember who Bruno was. For a second or two I thought he might be a fellow runner!

Cal (and DH) isn't it funny how we as runners suddenly become weather obsessives in a race week.
    We've all been caught out at some stage: in my case the London marathon which was 25 degrees C ina week that had been chilly. 

All the best to both of you in the countdown to your big races.
  • Options
    Haha John ! 

Thanks for the links Cal, installed. I like the map areas covered, yours must be complete ! 

8.5k easy yesterday felt good after Sunday. Doing 30m goal pace tonight...

Current Sunday weather is 15c partially cloudy with moderate breeze... No breeze would be nice but so far could be worse

Also looking forward to the mile 11 hill !

• Options
    HS, that looks steep!

Today, the third day in a row, a 30 minute hilly session in our local cemetery, including the 1k run uphill to get there and then the return downhill to get home.

Rest day tomorrow in prep for PR tourism on Saturday......
  • Options
    Apparently its a killer. I've walked it and is certainly not going to be a quick hill...

Managed 10k last night, 6k @ target pace for Sunday... It's going to be struggle and considering restructuring my planned pace/goal

Either go out and be a hero or go out try be hero and spoon the lot !?

2x rest days for me, easy local Parkrun (not even volunteering for pacing this time) and then the big one...
  • Options
    Update: wrecked my back from shovelling and transporting heavy stuff on allotment. 
    Can just about move around and had to abandon plans for the parkrun which also involved meeting up with a fellow runner from the mature runners thread ( not to mention meeting my 2 sisters en route!).
    Oh bugger!
    Looking forward (from a prone position) to reading race reports....
  • Options
    Oh no, John!
    DH, good luck.
    Up in Manchester now so did Fletcher Moss parkrun, which is a gently undulating course on gravel trail. Took it relatively easy in 29:12.
  • Options
    Well done Cal.

To cut a long story short I did make a last minute decision to run the local parkrun yesterday. Totally stupid but somehow managed 20.32. Felt not too bad for the rest of Saturday but.......

Dreadful night. Serves me right!

Hope you both emerge triumphant and unscathed from todays races!!
  • Options
    Speedy!

Chester was pretty tough. I decided to give 4:15 a punt and managed to stay on target for around 15 miles but legs started to suffer and I got slower and slower. But I kept plugging away, refused to walk (even up the hills towards the end) and came in at 4:18:52. Which I'm OK with. (Also Chester has very nice swag).

DH how did you do?
  • Options
    Oh John, we'll never learn... How's the back now ?

Cal that is a grand effort and so close to the 4.15 target congratulations...

My race, well went. I managed a PB by 3 seconds which in all honesty I'm disappointed with. Realistically I was aiming more 1:35 not 1:38, but 17-20k my splits dropped 10-15 seconds per k and it just went away. Around the Roath Park lake the one side is up and up, then other side not as much down before the Fairoak mega hill, it finished me. To be honest I just needed to put more effort in but was dreading just badly dying...  

Nevermind, onwards and upwards. Last proper race this year so now I can enjoy a few parkruns, some recovery time before starting to plan for Manchester 

I was so thirsty at the end, didn't realise we had a club member snapping :D

• Options
    Cal, that's bloody good!! Well done. You'd have settled for this when you were battling injury earlier this year. Great stuff!

DH, ditto! A PB is brilliant. 

As the old git of the thread, I'm pleased for and proud of both of you.

As for me, the back is worse if anything. I can walk OK but bending is out of the question. Nights are bad: can't get comfortable. Hitting the painkillers (very unusual for me).
    Hope to be OK for my 10k SB attempt on Sunday, but the SB is looking remote.

Here's a formula:

70lb kettlebell plus digging the allotment minus common sense = much grief!
  • Options
    A PB is a PB, DH! Well done. (That is some violently pink kit you have). See you in Manchester!
    John thanks. And take care of yourself! 
    My own bod seems remarkably OK today considering I could barely walk after finishing the marathon. Some aches and pains (I somehow managed to jam my left ankle up in the later stages so it's still a bit sore) but really not as bad as I expected.

Here's a pic my friend took of me coming into the final bit. I'm smiling like Kipgchoge but inside I'm screaming.

• Options
    dangeroushamsterdangeroushamster ✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Great pic. Smiling on the outside makes the pain dull(er) on the inside ! 

Hope everyones aches and pains are getting better !?

Maroon coloured vest for Lliswerry although does look remarkably pink in that picture. It was sponsored by WizzAir so everything else is proper neon pink ! 

I just want to get back out running now but I'm very aware of too much too soon and injuring myself
  • Options
    DH, me too...for me the worst part of doing a marathon is having to take time off after. I think I need it though. Not too achy but very fatigued and I slept poorly last night, so just a walk today.
  • Options
    My legs feel great but my hips and butt still ache... I'd also like to do track tomorrow but may have to head into the slower groups and just take a recovery week.

At least I still have the dog to walk ! I could struggle through an easy 20 min session and could be tempted... 

I don't want to break that habitual habit like I did last year. With no targets I need to create myself a consistent running plan like Garmin gave me over the last 3 months
  • Options
    Yeah I'd skip the track - stick to recovery runs for a bit.
  • Options
    Afraid I'm going to play the woe is me card.
    Back spasm is much worse (just
     as well I can't run as I couldn't tie my laces up if I wanted to).

Been there before, although not quite this bad, and it's self inflicted so I shouldn't be drowning in self pity.

But I am.

Will keep a low profile until recovered or at least on the way to it.

Cheers!
  • Options
    Oh dear John best make sure you rest up ! Keep us updated...

Couldn't resist the track yesterday but it was an easier session. 6x 2m reps @<4.00 with WU/CD

Session started late as everyone got together for some unashamedly self promotion of Lliswerry Running :) 
    Everyone in finishers shirts, medals from previous weekends of marathons, half marathons and 10ks !

• Options
    Great photo, DH! Where are you?

Oh John. :( Can you get a massage or something?

Back out today for a very slow three mile plod. Nice weather for it. Legs not bad.
  • Options
    Like a game of wheres wally isn't it !? I'm at the back right next to the grey haired fellow

I'd like to do an easy run but don't think I'll have time. Work, Parents Evening, Dinner, Boys bed time and by that point I'll be done in and still need to walk the dog 
  • Options
    Dude looks like Father Christmas. 🎅
    4 miles today. Nice morning...enjoyed that.
  • Options
    I had Church Mead parkrun pencilled in for today, but after finding out it was a real beast of a course, I had second thoughts. Still, what with the train strike, it was either this one (since it's in Amersham at the very end of the Metropolitan line) or repeat a local (snore). And I was feeling bold.
    And it is hilly - a two lap course that is half up, then half down again. That wasn't the problem, though, so much as it's also technical. Much of it goes around farm fields so it's a mix of earth and big stones. Even the flat parts aren't easy to run on. Then it goes into woods, so there are tree roots (actually rolled my ankle twice, though fortunately it was the ankle that has been sprained a lot, so I can go over on it a lot without causing any damage). 
    I didn't mind the uphill bit as I was going past people who were walking, but unfortunately the downhills were steep enough to slow me down a lot, so the same people came right back past me again. I really need to learn how to do the fell runner brain off brakes off thing but I always mentally crap myself any time it gets beyond a certain gradient. And of course, these were lumpy, stony downhills, which made them scarier. 
    Anyway, not came in at 33:58 so not quite as slow as Homewood, but slower than Bevendean Down and Watergrove. Still, I did quite enjoy it, and my old bod seems to be none the worse for wear, at least.
  • Options
    And an early six miles today. Right hammy/glute rather achy but aside from that, a decent run.