Options

My Last Run

Comments

• Options
    Yes that was indeed my plan John. Last HM averaged 4:41, training for 4.20 but realistic aim is more 4.30... Got to have a plan A & B

Not surprised if you are still hurting a little.

That bad run I done has hurt me. I'm still aching in my left leg, I presume ache doesn't feel injury like. Last time I pushed through a bad run I ached for 3/4 days - I should have learnt 
  • Options
    Indeed, John, and even shorter today - just 4. Bit sore from the gym yesterday and what with the half at the weekend, I'm enjoying a few easier days. Still, 208 miles for the month - highest total since the pandemic. 
    DH, didn't see any evidence of the hornets (which is just as well). Having said that, European hornets are not that dangerous, unlike their Asian cousins. The thumb-sized beasts they have over there are the stuff of nightmares. I even saw some buzzing around a tree when I visited Korea back in 2009 - gave them a very wide berth.
  • Options
    Cal, do you avoid intensive leg workouts in the week leading up to a race? 

DH, I've got a feeling that runners, as a breed, are pretty low on learning from training injuries.
    I do not exclude myself from this generalisation.

I'd like to turn up at parkrun more or less fully recovered. I think that's another manifestation of runners' mentality, not wanting to squander good form but to cash in on it.

• Options
    As a rule, John, yes...I cut back on gym the week before a race. But my gym got a new leg press so I gave it a try (nothing too heavy...but still something new for my muscles so I guess they may have been a little shocked). 

Also I concur. I like to think of myself is intelligent, but I am a raging idiot when it comes to injury. 
    6 miles today. Felt a lot faster than they were. 
    Anyway, rest tomorrow, parkrun Saturday and race Sunday. I will likely do the half at MP - it'll be too warm to attempt a good half time anyway.
  • Options
    Well I've done little to aide that generalization...

Managed a easy hour last night, just under 11k. I could feel it all the way around, almost like a dead leg. Still planning my progression this afternoon as well although I must say it does feel better this morning. Iced it a few times overnight and again this morning so fingers crossed.

I've put in a decent training block and don't want it to slip now even though I know running on an injury is likely to make it 10x worse. Wonder if it caused my bad run or was because of it
  • Options
    DH, that leg injury sounds a bit worrying, especially with your ambitious medium term goal. That ice plus crossed fingers approach sounds familiar!

Cal, will it be a local parkrun or are you off on your travels?

5k hilly session for me today. A bit quicker than usual but also, quelle surprise, a bit more tiring too.

• Options
    Progression complete and legs seems to be getting better, didn't feel it much even if still there but rest day tomorrow anyhow

30m easy with 10m around 4.00 pace, managed 3.53, 4.03 and then pace dropped right off with 4.20 for the last few hundred meters of the 10 mins - happy enough but again shows how far I have to go for a sub-20 5k sadly...
  • Options
    DH good to hear that legs are on the mend. That sub 20 is a real ask.
    I'm hoping that the new Endorphinswill edge me to the same goal but looks as though they won't arrive in time for tomorrow's effort.

Did a 2k row today, my first for ages. 8.38.5 but I know this is meaningless in the context of this thread. But nothing special!
  • Options
    Yup leg seems better again this morning and rest day today, simple PR tomorrow so should be good for the 2hr planned long run on Sunday ! 

Which endorphins did you go with in the end ?

I really should do some additional cross training like rowing or HIIT which would probably nudge me closer to that 20 barrier - next years goal though 
  • Options
    DH, I'm going for the Endorphin Speed 2s: £100. I wish they'd arrived in time for.....
    Parkrun: bog standard 20.40 in perfect conditions. Hope for something a bit quicker, but don't we all?

Age category win by 5+ mins and 4th best AG.

• Options
    Was that on a C2 rower, John? Those things are brutal. I did a lot of sprints on them in my early 40s when we had some challenges going at the gym I used to go to. My current gym has one but I rarely use it. Maybe I should.
    Which parkrun was it today?

DH, any special parkrun today?

My plan today was Edenbrook Country parkrun, out near Fleet in Hampshire, as it was event number 20 for them and I needed a 20 for one of my parkrun challenges (aka the wilson index, but you'll probably only know what that is if you're a hardcore parkrun tourist so I won't bore you with it). Anyway, the journey was a little longwinded...train from me to Clapham Junction (it's about 6-8 minutes, not far) but then 48 minutes to Fleet, then a bit over a 2 mile jog to the park. 
    However, I was just over half a mile into the jog when I got honked by a car and it was my friend Tunde. So I ended up not doing the to and from runs at all, and just the parkrun.
    The parkrun itself is two laps in a nice country park on dry gravelly trail - pretty flat. Funny thing was that there were a lot of tourists there including several people I knew so it was good to catch up. 
    I ended up running 27:24 which is my second fastest time this year, though somehow that is horribly disappointing given I've not even gone under 27 this year. Only two years ago I was able to run under 25 minutes on a course like that and I even managed a 26:20 a year ago.
    But I did enjoy the parkrun and am a little thankful I didn't have to run back to the station. Maybe I'll get some speed back once the weather cools down and I don't have a lot of miles in my legs from marathon training. 
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Cal, yes it's a very elderly Concept 2 that I picked up virtually free (I paid in beer). It does look a bit like an instrument of torture. I used to use one at a gym 20 years ago and I once dipped below 8 minutes (7.59) for the 2k. I think I've done an 8.27 since I've had this one and that's about as good as it gets.

My home/default parkrun of Worthing today. 

I'm not in your league as a pr tourist. I've got a few on the Surrey/Hampshire/Kent borders with Sussex that I've got eyed up.

Good run for you today, if you look for the positives... But I can feel your frustration!
  • Options
    15 miserable kms today. It's so much worse when you count down the kms isn't it?

• Options
    Cal, just seen your Strava post. That sounds awful so a huge plus for getting through it and finishing the race.
    As previously disclosed I've had one or two 'moments' but nothing that bad. I think the thing is not to think of such episodes as weakness. I suspect that folk like us lot, who train through pain and battle on, dont process mental challenges very well. It's only my take on it and I claim no expertise.

Take care.
  • Options
    John, I can relate to the misery. Today's half felt like the longest half I've ever run.
    So (as you know from my Strava) my race was a bit of an ordeal. After last year's disappointment, when I was shocked to realise I could no longer manage a sub-2 and spent half the race angry and hating every second, I had modest aspirations for this one. I figured around 9:30 pace should be OK, but the main thing was to try and enjoy it (even though I'm not really a fan of the course).
    I met up with a couple of clubmates, Jess (who was at parkrun yesterday) who is a bit slower than me, and Laura who is faster but has a niggly knee. We saw the elites go past as we were heading to the start - guess they got a much earlier start this year. Good to see Mo and Eilish though.
    I started out running with Laura and enjoyed seeing the faster Chasers coming the other way. Then we got to the tunnel. I've never had an issue with the tunnel before, although I've always been wary of the slope down into it. This time I found myself on the cusp of a full blown panic attack. It's really hard to describe but it's almost like I'm afraid I'll fall off the world and want to throw myself flat and hug the ground - much like when I couldn't get across the South Circular two weeks ago, or when I had trouble crossing the big road by Streatham Common a while back.
    I sent Laura on (did her a favour as she ended up with a sub-2) and then had to hug the wall and talk myself through the tunnel. I thought once I was out, it'd be OK, but it was a big wide road and that freaked me out almost as much. I know from my Garmin/Strava that my HR spiked so, unsurprisingly, I was knackered for the rest of the race. 
    I did almost enjoy the later parts once I was relaxed enough to interact with the marshals, spectators and so on, but it's still a boring course and I loathe the cobbles in Wapping.
    Time was rather disappointing  (a bit under 2:10 I think) but I am relieved I just managed to make it around (and maybe a bit proud too for pushing through).
    I am not sure what is causing these panics and why they've just started happening but I did some reading an apparently it's something that can happen post-menopause (I read about one woman who could no longer drive on motorways) so it could be that. It does seem to be tied to wide roads - just wide roads, not traffic. It's weird. I really hope I don't get anything like this in Chester.
    Other things I noticed were that there was a lot less music on course this year - previously there have been a couple of choirs and maybe a drum group and such. This time there were a couple of DJs playing dance music but much later on the course, in Bermondsey.
    Oh and my left hip was a bit niggly, and achilles was after.
    Time-wise, I don't think I'm going to be able to run 9:30 pace at Chester. Maybe 9:40. I think I'll park myself behind the 4:15 pacer and see what happens. 
  • Options
    Cal, wel done for coming out the other side of the ordeal. Good that you had mates with you. Also good to see elites running. How many other sports would get this?
    Sensible to recalibrate your goals for Chester. I've never run there but it the venue of the 'home international' 10k I'm running in the spring. I'm hoping it's flat.

Just back from a 40 min quite brutal intetvals session, the sort where you have to suck in oxygen every couple of minutes. Horribly hard - but a lot more fun (for me) than yesterdays dull and slow 15km borathon!

• Options
    5k cemetery run today, dodging the rain showers. Should have been an easy run, but I ran it too hard.
  • Options
    John, I don't know where the 10K is but the town isn't flat - there are some hills on the marathon course including a beast at mile 24. (I also find faster running more interesting!)
    Yesterday I got out for a 6 mile recovery run. Today was 13 miles (well, another half, in fact) run mostly around 11 pace but with some faster intervals in miles 10-12. I had a couple of jittery moments on both runs but the longer I run for, the more relaxed I am, so I think it's just a case of pushing through. 
  • Options
    Cal, running is great therapy. Good to hear that it's working for you.

8k for me in my usual time for this sort of distance: 38.05. However I found it much more tiring than usual, probably because the return half was into a veast of a wind.

Will probably have a couple of rest days before parkrun on Saturday. This will be my first competitive run in the new (bright yellow!) running shoes. Am expecting a 20 second bonus or I'll ask for my money back!
  • Options
    I'm actually going to try for Bevy this weekend. Wish me luck.
  • Options
    10 miles this morning - some nice light rain. OK run.
  • Options
    Cal that HM sounds horrendous but I think you should be proud you cracked on through and made it to the end. I do believe that running is 50% about mentality and being able to overcome something like that is not easy. Shows character ! No harm is phoning the doc' either and seeing what they say, I'm always so dubious about self diagnosis tbh... Too many internet doctors - I tell my wife off for that all the time

Been so busy last 5/6 days. Paced @ local PR and got in at 26.57 which I'm very happy with ! Had a day paintballing and then maybe drinking Saturday night. That set my recovery back a fair chunk and the 18k Sunday was a proper struggle. Managed a 45 treadmill run Tuesday night after a long day away with work and an 11k interval session with the club yesterday which has finished me off ! It was different as track not available but loved it  <3
  • Options
    john bateman 6john bateman 6 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Cal, enjoy Bev! It is tough but the course does give you those views.
    Give yourself plenty of time to find the start. There won't be a Bushy Park type crowd to follow!

DH, well if you insist on living a life with fun in it, there's no hope for you as a serious athlete! Well done on the pacer role. 11k interval sessions will leave you pretty drained! Have you a specific rival at you club?

Parkrun tomorrow after 2 rest days.
    Looking for a fast time with the new trainers but a strong wind will wreck any chance of a PB.
    I've booked into 3 10ks in 5 Sundays, but alas not doing one this Sunday. 2 of them are on flat courses so I'd like to get an SB in one of them. Easy to say!
  • Options
    I'm too late in life with very little talent to be considering myself an athlete John also what is life without some fun ! 

Local PR tomorrow has been cancelled so will probably do the other local PR @ Riverfront. Right now need my hour + 15 min progression run done 
  • Options
    John, I've rehearsed the route there on Streetview (I do this with most parkruns...makes life a lot easier). Train journey is somewhat complex so hopefully there won't be any hiccups.
  • Options
    Cal and DH, looking forward to hearing your race reports.
    As for mine: 20.14 and a PB (age grade 84.43%).

Perfect conditions and the new Endorphins helped, but my pacing was pretty good.
  • Options
    Wow that is spanking John congrats ! 14 more seconds and your in golden territory :)

Riverfront is a nice out & back course, no wind, warm and muggy and managed to plod my way through with a 25.30, which actually given 17k late last night and I was keeping to under 153HR I'm very pleased with ! 
  • Options
    Is it Lancing you do, John? I met a guy who normally runs there, called James, though he was behind me so I guess not quite in your class.  :lol:

Nice work, DH.

Anyway, I managed to make it to Bevendean Downs but not without mishap. The train from Clapham Junction to Lewes arrived on time but was then delayed at Hayward's Heath, so I missed the connection (and the next train to Moulsecoomb wouldn't have got me there on time). Only option was to shell out another £20 for a taxi.
    That did get me there in time for a one mile warm-up, anyway, plus a chat with a few of the other runners. Bugger's definitely hilly, and being in what amounts to a field, not the easiest underfoot (especially as there were a LOT of cow pats today which needed to be dodged!) First lap I managed the long uphill drag OK, but second I started to feel the strain so slowed down to avoid exploding my ticker. Finished in 31:33 which put me 18th and also 4th lady, but as there were only 23 runners total and 7 women, it's not nearly as impressive as it sounds. But never mind. 
    It is a very friendly parkrun so I enjoyed that, and the views. Less so the pain in the bum journey to and from (home was better, but involved four trains: Moulsecoomb to Brighton, Brighton to Gatwick, Gatwick to Clapham Junction and from there to home). I normally won't entertain anything that involves that many changes but this was one of my bucket list parkruns so glad I've done it now.
  • Options
    DH, thanks. That PR sounds like my sort of course. Good to do it after a 17k run. Which HR zone were you in? I'm guessing 4.

Cal, you survived the Bev! In fact it sounds as though you had more of a challenge getting to the start than getting to the finish! That £20 must have stung.l'm surprised you went via Lewes (lovely place) rather than Brighton. You went  past Falmer, the station for Sussex Uni where I worked before retiring. And also the might Amex stadium. So money well spent!
    Sorry, getting nostalgic.
    No Lancing is not my local PR. Mine is Worthing which is 1 mile west of Lancing's along the coast. They are both flat, prom, out and back courses but Lancing is just a bit slower and possibly overlong and not quite PB territory. It does have great views to the east and you run past some posh houses than back onto a lagoon. (Lancing is generally not posh.)

I eschewed my usual long run, slogging along the prom today: you can have too much of a good thing. Instead I went inland and did 90 mins out and back to a pretty local village. It was lovely but a lot harder due to some steepish hills. In chance of a low or steady HR on this one.