Options

Numpty bike question

I hope someone can help me in a language that I can understand!
I need to upgrade my gears (having completed the London Tri yesterday) and was thinking of going for a compact chainest.

I currently have a 9 speed Shimano Tiagra triple chainset.

What do I need to get to upgrade what I have and is it easy to do?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Options
    More important what was your time!
  • Options
    When you say 'upgrade', what do you mean. What is it you're trying to acheive? Thanks

• Options
    Taff I did 3:27 so over half hour quicker than where I had hoped to be so feeling quite happy about the whole thing.

D74 when I was on the bike I felt like I could have gone much quicker if I had had bigger gears. My little legs were going nineteen to the dozen and I didnt feel like I was getting anywhere at times (mainly going downhill where I could have put on a bit of speed.
  • Options
    I think she wants to be a proper cyclist with a double! Isn't that right Rio? ;-)
  • Options
    Could you not just change the cassette for a different set of ratios?
  • Options
    Bowi I didnt like being passed by people still pedalling when my legs couldnt go any faster!

If that would do the trick then Stump I can go with that idea.
  • Options
    Yeah agree with Stump - you should only need to change the cassette on your wheel.

Although - I think you need to look at your technique too - its a flat course I think ? So you shouldnt be spinning out your highest gear on the flat ?

Do you know how many revolutions per minute you were doing ? 80-90 is usually reccomended, but you can go faster than that with practice ?

And are you sure you were in top gear ?

So the biggest chainring on the front and the smallest sprocket on the back ?

I wouldnt think its worth changing to a compact from a triple. V expensive and little overall difference.
  • Options
    Changing the cassette is the easiest and cheapest way. It all depends on what's on there now. Chances are it's a 12-25, meaning hte smallest is 12 teeth and the largest is 25. The smaller the small one the faster you go for a given leg cadence, and the larger the large one then the easier it is to pedal whrn the going gets tough.

A new cassette will cost £20-40, you can use any 9 speed cassette from shimano (tiagra, 105, ultegra, even dura ace if you've won the lottery).

You'll need a chain whip and a lockring tool (£5 each) to do the swap.

Changing from a triple to a compact would actually make life worse for you as the top speed would be reduced.

In context, and despite how it will sound, then I don't think you need to worry about gears though. Learning to pedal at a quick cadence (get a cadence bike computer) will help, but at London regardless what set up you'v egot the you shouldn't be 'spinning out'.

My guess is that you're a newish cyclist and in reality are normally pedaling at very low cadence, and so aren't comfortable at the 100rpm cadence that should be well within every cyclists 'comfort zone'.

Before swapping out the triple, then spend some time training, could save you a lot of money.
  • Options
    I agree it is realtively flat apart from going through the Blackwall tunnel and I wasnt spinning out on the flat.
    I dont have a cadence counter but I think it would be around 80.

And I am fairly sure I was in top gear definitely biggest on the front anyway.

Maybe I just need more practice then and look at changing the cassette.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Cadence is an individual thing, but 85-95 is a 'typical' normal cadence. Ie that's where you should spend most of your time. Most new cyclists would typically be happy at 50-60, and then get up to 80. Low cadence cycling adds strain to the knees in particular and will leave your legs wrecked for the run.

So I'd spend £25 on a cadence capable bike computer and SLOWLY work on getting the cadence up. This will really help to improve both your cycling (including on hills) and your running off the bike.
  • Options
    Can't answer your question, but well done on London, Rio! :-)
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Rio - before changing anything on the bike I'd have another look at the gears. You couldn't have been spinning out in your highest gear on that course. Most likely thing is either your gears aren't working properly so you couldn't change into the big ring on the front/small sprockets on the back. I'm assuming you'll have something like a 52/12 top gear (52 teeth on the front ring, 12 on the smallest sprocket at the back) ?

If that's the case a compact will give you a lower top gear than a triple so the opposite of what you are trying to achieve.

• Options
    Well done on your time rio.

• Options
    One way of getting used to a higher cadence is to go for a ride and only use the smaller chainring (or the middle of a triple). It's a bit frustrating at first, but as your leg speed comes up it feels more natural, and the low cadence of old will feel turgid by comparison.
  • Options
    Somebody once told me (or I may have read it somewhere) that your cadence on the bike should be roughly the same as your running stride rate. Most runners have a stride rate of approx 180 i.e one foot hits the ground 90 times a minute.
    I have to admit a cadence of 90 on the bike feels good for me but I have been known to talk complete rubbish.
  • Options
    Not sure about that, I gueess a lot depends on how good your running cadence is! 85-95 is the often quoted range for the bike. For running then although I've tried to up my cadence then I can't get over 160, and even that's really working at it. However I am tall and I think that there is a general belief that if you're tall then you will tend to have a slightly slower cadence.
  • Options
    A bloke in my cycling club goes by that running cadence thing.

I have no idea what cadence I run at though, and my winter cadence on my fixie tends to be higher than when I'm on my geared bike in the summer.

• Options
    cougie - a bit off-topic, but why do you use a fixie in winter then gears in summer?
  • Options
    SVT
    That is a ponce question. Are you ready to handle the truth?

Have you fallen off clipped into your bike yet? :)
  • Options
    TT - I'm a proper ponce, me. I've got a spoke key and everything.
  • Options
    Is it a Spokey? If not then I'm afraid you're merely a wannabe ;-)

• Options
    Ummm - it's a metal one, that can fit three different sizes, because I wasn't sure which one to get.

Okay, okay, I only bought it because of the German translation on it - 'Universal-nippelspanner'.
  • Options
    Pah.

Spokeys are the one and only Spoke key that any serious wheelbuilder would use.

I really despair sometimes, what do they teach the kids at schools nowadays?

[shakes head, and wanders off stroking his grey beard with oily hands and muttering under his breath]

• Options
    SVT

Partly cos I really like the way fixed wheels ride.

Partly cos its so much easier to keep clean than my shiny race bike.

Partly cos I have one.

Partly cos I like kicking my pals asses when i'm on a one gear bike.

Its crap for going down hills - as I cant spin it out like some of my clubmates can, but its great for climbing on.
  • Options
    Just to say well done (((Rio)))!!

:-)))
  • Options
    Cougie. Do you live in a flat area?
    I love the stripped down look of the fixed and have thought about getting one, but it's a bit lumpy round here.
  • Options
    Not that flat MM - some of my rides are out to North Wales with a 3 mile climb as a favourite one. I have to go hard on the climb and put time into my mates so that they only catch me up at the bottom of the descent.
  • Options
    I have eyed a Cannondale capo apparently the back wheel is flipable? fixed on one side, single speed freewheel on the other I like the sound of that for the hilly rides so I can still freewheel. The bike should be ok if it's a Cannondale what do you think.
  • Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    As Cougie says I wouldn't worry about hills on a fixed - just get a nice low gear - 65 inches or something like that - for climbing and a front brake for the descents. I go out round the Peak on mine - not great in a group as you do get dropped on descents but on your own it's good.
  • Options
    I use mine over the north downs and it's fine as long as I don't try the steepest slopes.

Most come with a flippable back wheel but I'd seriously suggest not bothering with a freewheel and just fit two different sprocket sizes. Once you've tried fixed you won't go back to single speed freewheel. I have a 17 on one side and flip to 18 on the other for winter when it's wetter, colder and darker and commuting speed just tends to be slower.