Options

Rugby World Cup 2007

Comments

• Options

One small request please. If England do win on Saturday, please don't have another parade through London to Trafalgar Square. It goes right past my window at work and I can't take a another round of ticker tape and cheesy music. I may have to ring in sick!

Still feeling depressed but my Grandad has put a bet on for me for a South African victory - bless!

So, anyone else going to be sad enough to watch the 3rd/4th place play-off?

• Options
    I'll watch the Frogs v Pumas game - Friday night TV is usually pants anyway

I don't know if France have the heart for this somewhat meaningless game now - it will be interesting to see which French mindset turns up............

I think the Argies will be well up for it, if for nothing else to cock a snook at the rest of the world - and they have beaten France 4 times out of the last 5 games so probably think they can turn them over again.....

but - I hope the French do turn up and let rip with a showpiece French attacking game - the RWC deserves a non-holds barred game at this stage as I think the final could be an ugly affair if no side gets the upper hand early on........
  • Options

I hope so too, FB. It's going to be the last game for a lot of French players so I hope they go out on a high, even if they don't manage to beat Argentina. It'll be the last game for some of their players too and they do have the upper-hand on them over the last couple of years. The only thing counting against them is that they looked a bit tired against SA.

Hopefully there'll be a good crowd and lots of support for both teams. Sod Laporte and his solid-defense rugby - throw the ball around and give it lash, boys!!!

Vamos los Pumas!
    Allez les Bleus!

• Options
    The real issue is that the missus has barred me from the rugby club, so I have to watch the feckin final at home. How do I get enough brownie points in the next 48 hours and how much arse do I need to kiss?
  • Options

Offer to take her somewhere she wants to go afterwards?

Babysit the children so she can do something she wants?

Buy her something nice?

Go anyway and face the music later image ?

• Options
    I'll be pissed afterwards and the madonna is with child but I'll try bribery, thanks LN.
  • Options

Just plead and say how often do you get to support your country in a World Cup final (I hope you're not married to a Kiwiimage)

Hi Nemo - recovered from Berlin?

• Options

No, a Yorkie say no more,

anyway

Let us pray
    Dear Lord
    Forgive us because we were a bit shite early on but thy flock is back on board, especially after the tests of faith earlier on, even thy divine media, having been distracted by the heathen 11 a side devil worship

Let it come to pass that the supremely talented Bryan Habana receive NO BALL and St Percival de Montgomery no kicks at goal.
    The might front row of Albion shaft the Bonders where they least prefer
    The second file of Shawsy and BK shove them back another metre on second phase and that those men of the back row, young and old ,remember that biltong and castle lager are pretty crap.
    That the re born St Andrew of Gomershall clear those lines and find his man with the blessed ball
    Rise England I beseech thee
    That Lazarus aka JW has finally picked up his last bed and will walk, nay run, nay smite and confuse the Jaapies into submission
    and that the zealot Catty realise why he is still batting for this team
    Praise again England
    Little man Tait, be honest, be straight running, and no playing silly buggers
    Mark, you have yet to write your gospel,( can I suggest , "When I was running 70m for my third try.... do the rest yourself.)
    Paul, a chance for another epistle, open those legs and show your class ( ref D Coleman 1980....?)
    Jason,You twister of defences, you slayer of big bastard centres who think they're "quite good really"
    Show the World your best game

Bench boys: You will have glory.

Forget ye not, how that accent gets right on your tits and that lesser nations have stumbled where you dare to tread, apart from Wales who never get very far anyway.
    Lord
    hear our prayer and grant us abundant beer at the end of 80 mins
    Ta muchly
    Huge

Love to the boy, is he still playing? Heard he had trials for Argentina?

• Options

Huge,

I've been offered corporate hospitality to travel to France to see the World Cup Final, all expenses paid and can take two mates with me. 

I was wondering, if you're not doing anything,....... could you put my bin out for me on Monday!  image

• Options
    Great stuff Huge - can I get an amen?
  • Options
    So have you managed to get a pass Juge? 
  • Options
    Nope, it's looking increasing like I'll have to cope with curry and lager at home. Ho hum
  • Options

Hello, BDB! Nearly recovered thanks, just had my first post-Berlin run. Felt pretty horrid but managed 40 mins. so it's a start. Hope you're feeling OK and good luck for tomorrow. I'm being dragged off by a friend to see it in a Sports Bar with large amounts of alcohol, hope it's a good match.

Good luck Huge, hope you get to see the match.

Probably too late to catch PS but you are a lucky so-and-so!

So for the last time this World Cup:

Allez les Bleus! (although they're probably going to lose to Argentina again!)

• Options

Glad to hear it Nemo.  Did a jog walk with a friend last night who wants to start running.  Everything felt fine but it was hardly an effort.  Might have a proper trot over the weekend.

Enjoy the matches and the drinks!

• Options
    France getting beaten again image
  • Options

Terrible isn't it?  What is wrong with them?  Not usually a Francophile but the less of two evils I guess!

Little Nemo, it was a joke!!  I'm not actually going, sadly!  image

• Options

I think it's quite good we weren't playing the Argies in the final!  Let's hope the South Africans choke like the All Blacks!!

I liked that joke, what's the difference between an All Black and an Arsonist? 

An Arsonist wouldn't waste 5 matches!

• Options
    very good PS very good
  • Options

Oh FFS! I bloody hate Argentina now. Fire alarm at work, nightmare getting home, cat poo on the rug, a friend ringing me up during dinner to ask how to make a cd compatible with a MAC, a call-out for work and one of the worst French perfomances I've ever seen.

ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!image

That's it, no more rugby! I'm off to burn my jersey image

Maybe Laporte was right all along...

• Options

Oops, sorry if my bad tempered rant broke the thread image Note to self: never post when angry!

Argentina played really well and I hope they end up in the 6 or Tri Nations soon.

I thought England played pretty well last night so they can be proud of their Championship defence. South Africa didn't look as good as they did before but they did enough and over the whole campaign they were the best team.

So what was your best/worst/funniest try, moment etc.?

• Options
    England certainly can be proud.  Rugby as a whole can also be pleased with the general acceptance of the match officials' crucial decision not to award a try.  Football fans would probably have rioted and sent death threats by now. 
  • Options

Agreed. It's one of those 'read it in the newspaper tomorrow' moments. I'd hate for us to be like the West German football fans, still bleating about a 'goal that wasn't', over 40 years later.

Actually, it's a perfect result for England; they don't have to carry the pressure of world champions, but they've come out of the World Cup with the satisfaction of having hugely outperformed expectations. South Africa were the best team in the tournament and deserved to win it.

Fortunately, it seems that we're not rushing into reappointing Brian Ashton; the team did well despite the somewhat random nature of coaching and team selection.

Having seen Shane Geraghty on t'telly on Sunday, I reckon that England could have a terrific team in 4 years time...wouldn't mind a crack at coaching them meselfimage

• Options

What do you call an Australian at the World Cup Final?

The fourth officialimage

• Options
    ah - I see the English are going to be bitter and twisted for the next 100 years about that try!!!

fair do's as well - it was one hell of a tough call for Dickinson and I'm not going to comment on whether he was right or wrong - and it was after the most exciting break all match so a great shame in some ways that it was disallowed. but that's sport I guess...

twas a good match all the same but SA always had the edge - every visit to the England half in the 1st half they came away with points - England didn't do the opposite as SA kept them bottled up and didn't - unlike England - give away stupid penalties.......

ah well - that's it for another 4 years
  • Options
    bigponybigpony ✭✭✭
    A wonderful summation FB. Did you see France v Argentina on Friday. Now that was great to watch.
  • Options
    yeh - did see the Pumas stuff the Frogs.........

the Pumas clearly wanted to win that match and played with passion - the Frogs were going through the motions and really didn't turn up and treated it as an anti-climax.........shame really as it was the last game for a nummber of players and Laporte so you'd have thought they'd have put up a slightly better show

for me - the Argies had my player of the tournament in No 1 Roncero - that guy put a huge amount into every game he played and was superb in both his scrummaging and play around the park........he just never gave up trying........much like many of his team-mates
  • Options
    bigponybigpony ✭✭✭

I was impressed by Pichot. Gobby around the ref all the time but so astute and aware, with Hernandez outside him who was brilliant.

I also thought Longo the No.8 had a great tournament.

But in the end the best team won, and England performed much better that anyone could have expected or predicted.

A mention for Fiji who were a joy to watch.