Options

Stubbington Green 10km

2»

Comments

• Options

Peekay - Can you shed any light on this?

Myself and my hubby sent off entries about 17/10 for this race but the cheque does not appear to have been cashed and we have not recieved anything back. Is this normal or has our application gone missing in the post (as appears to have been the case with our one for the Victory 5)?

This our local race and we would really like to be in on it and are afraid that it maybe too late based upon what you have just said.

• Options

Morb, email me your details and I will check this out for you - /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif[/img]eekay63@aol.com]peekay63@aol.com

We are very close to the race entry limit. I am not dealing with the race entries, but what I will do is speak to the man who is and trace where your entry has gone. If you sent off your entry last month, then it's fair to say it should be okay.

Drop me a line and I'll chase it up.

• Options

Morb, it is common not to know whether you are in the race or not until the race number comes through.  I too have entered the Victory 5 and haven't had any confirmation of entry.  If you don't hear anything about 2 weeks before then contact the organisers but otherwise don't worry.

When cheques are cashed depends on the club.  Some clubs need the money because they have to pay fees up front so will cash your cheques early.  Other clubs have enough savings to be able to fund the event and cash the cheques in the week or two before the race.  I have even known some clubs to cash the cheques after the race.

And don't forget that it is volunteers that organise it all.  Often the Race Director receives the cheques from the runners but has no authority for the bank account, so has to find the treasurer to get the cheques cashed.  This all takes time and depends on when it is possible for the organisers to get to the bank.  They try and be as professional as they can, but if you have a full time job then it can be hard to fit it all in.

I too was a little bit miffed by inconsiderate race directors, until I recently watched a friend organise his first race.  It's much harder work than I ever thought it would be and I now have a lot of sympathy for the organisers.  It really can take over their lives.

• Options

Thanks for the responses to my first post.

Not trying to be awkward or unfriendly to race organisers btw, just had a problem recently with mail not arriving at destinations so am just trying to be sure entries are not lost as well.

Checked entry list for Stubbington and don't appear to be listed, so obviously concerned!

Hoping to enter these races as part of a series we are running for British heart Foundation and don't want to start collecting sponsor money for races we are unable to do. 

Morb. 

• Options
    well done for the 1/2/3/ at the duck pond today,it was good to see so many of you come over for this race,shame about the weather,we got wet lol
  • Options
    I see the race is full
  • Options
    I entered online a few weeks back so I think I'm in...best go and check the list!
  • Options
    Yep, I'm on the list - I'll probably be quite near the last of the finishers, so if someone could save me a bacon sarnie I'd be very grateful!!
  • Options
    Will hopefully see you there Delia. As I don't eat meat, you can maybe have my sarnie if I finish before you!!
  • Options
    Number has arrived this morning. Just hope the weather warms up a bit by Sunday week!
  • Options
    I have just seen the comments about previous races on the club website and am starting to get concerned about being the last one to finish. My OH and I are new to runnering and are doing it for charity and expect to complete in about 70 minutes. Is anyone else expecting to do it in about this time or are you all super speedy?
  • Options

I will take over an hour so will probably be near you Morb.  Last year I think I finished in about 1 hr 7 min.

Don't worry about being last.  I have been last (although not at Stubbington) and it really isn't that bad.  You get your own personnal motivator in the form of the sweeper and you still have the satisfaction of knowing that you have achieved something that you couldn't do a year ago.  You are never really last - you have beaten all those people who never even made it off the sofa!

And there is no chance that the organisers will start packing up before you finish.  I make a point of waiting for the last runner to come in and cheering them on, because I have been there and know how much of a difference it can make.

One of the purpose of these small, local races is to encourage new runners.  Without new runners the sport will stagnate so please don't be put off because you think that you aren't good enough.  And not all club runners are fast and super fit - I wear a club vest and certainly don't look like a racing snake.

Good luck and enjoy the race, Morb.

• Options
    I have my number, but no race instructions.  I shall have to dig out lasts years and hope its the same.
  • Options

Old Road Runner...the race instructions are the same as last year, but if you can't find them then log onto the Stubbington Green Runners' website and they are made available there. The website is: www.sgrac.net/

• Options

I am #641

See you at the start!

• Options

I just wonder why race instructions were not sent out with numbers, not everyone has access to the internet - I know nothing has really changed, apart from the split start, the same as last year.

Regarding the split start, I do so hope that the race organisers do not put cones along the centre of the road after the roundabout, I nearly fell over when I tripped against one, in the mass of legs at the start they are not visible, therefore a potential danger!

Hope we have good weather, it can often be a lovely run along the sea front.

Whizzy

• Options
    Seafront I don't remember a seafront! Too many races it's all a blurimage, my excuse for not getting pb this year is....."injured in December and haven't recovered yet."
  • Options

Chunky

It is only a bit of sea front, but a pleasant change from houses - all in all, apart from running along a fairly busy road in the last couple of K, it is a good route with variety of scenery - have done this for the last 8 years or so.  Supposed to be a pb course, never quite managed it, takes a long time to get over the effects of Christmas for me.

Whizzy (only not so)

• Options

Got my number and all good to go! See you all at the start line!

Oh, and Morb, sounds like I'll be seeing you and SuperCaz at around the 70 minute mark too!

PS Diana, we both know you'll finish ahead of me! You have in every other race we've ever done! You just get me that sarnie and I'll forgive you for being such a speedy little thing!! imageimage

• Options
    Good luck to everyone doing this tomorrow. It looks as though it might even stay dry until later in the day. Here's hoping.
  • Options

See you all in the morning!

• Options

I'm really excited about this one, I can't wait until tomorrow!

Good luck everyone!

Sam

• Options

Hope you all enjoyed it today?

Apart from the wind blustering all over the place along the seafront I thought it was a great one. Thanks to the organisers, the coppers (even the one that was telling people they could go faster - blithering idiot) and especially to the marshalls who were fab right until the end.

I personally have to give a massive thank you to Carmen who I met just after the start and who (without knowing it at the time) was a fabulous pacer for me. She got me through the bits when I was tired and helped me to finish in 72 minutes despite a rather haphazard training plan over the last few weeks! I'll sort out the training and I'll go for the pb next year, when I will be back for more!

See you then, everyone.

• Options

Well done, Delia. I must have missed you at the end, as I was there at the time you finished. Was good to see you at the start.

I liked the lane alongside the golf course, just after the halfway mark, and didn't find the traffic to be a problem really. Great that it stayed dry, after the forecast earlier in the week!

• Options

Hi everyone, I hope you all had a good run in the Hampshire 'breeze'.

I was way outside a PB, but did better than my target, which was influenced by the fact that I have been training through a persistent foot injury and had several weeks off with illness over the last couple of months.  I now plan to lay off running completely for a few weeks to give my foot time to sort itself out.  Hope to replace the running with cycling to keep some level of fitness for when I get going again.  Not sure what my next race will be until I check the calendar.

Anyway, as I have also said in my race rating, I thought the race went very well - good organisation where it mattered, despite the to-ing and fro-ing on the start!  Although I have just remembered that a couple of ambulances whizzed past - near the start and about halfway - I hope there were no big problems.  Does anyone know ?

• Options

Yep, well done Mr Littlecott and all your assistants on a fantastic race as usual.

The wind on the seafrnt had an amazing effect on the tactics in the radce - I've never seen such profound bunching before!  I was in a group of about 25 runners, chasing a group of about 30 runners 75 yards ahead, with no one for 100 yards behind us!  I've never seen that before.  As soon as we headed into the streets inland, the groups broke up very quickly.

After having palpitations that the start was going to be a repeat of the Chichester problems, it actually worked very well.  A sort of mini-London Marathon!

• Options

The official results are in  http://www.sgrac.net/2008/html/sgrac.10k.html

I did better than I anticipated, and had a good run. Feeling good this morning, but hungry!

• Options

Delia,  Which one where you?  I spoke to so many people at the start and during the race that I can't place you and I am useless with names.

I got a personal worst, but I enjoyed the race so much that I am grinning inanely today.

Thanks Peekay for the 400 metre board and the marshal telling me when I had 500m to go.  I very nearly started my end sprint too early again, but then saw the board and held back enough to be able to make it to the line.

All of the marshals were great.  I tried to thank them all, but towards the end I was struggling for breath so they had to make do with an attempt at a smile.

• Options

SuperCaz....glad you have still got a smile on your face after all that buffeting with the wind. I was marshaling at half way and you could see the effort on everyone's faces having endured the first 5km against the wind. At least it was downhill and downwind all the way to Stubbington.

The race was incident free, and thankfully the ambulance that had to race by some runners was not connected with the race.

Well done to everyone for taking part and for making the day go so well.

• Options

Hi everyone - offical photos are now up - taken by Ian Burnett's photography team - hosted on www.AntBliss.com

enjoy !