Options

Barns Green Half-Marathon

Comments

• Options
    Hi Katie, and well done for entering your first event. You'll find such an amazing difference running with people around you. It'll really inspire to keep going when the tiredness creeps in and make you feel part of a community instead of a lonely runner. Best of luck and I hope you really enjoy yourself. About the hills? Dunno, never run here before, but just treat them as flat bits which point up or down and you'll fine.
  • Options

thank you! thanks for your encouragement! i am just worried i may get put off tryign to keep up the pace of those around me and not keep to my own breathing etc! hopefuuly I will speed up a bit by then. i did a 10.4km route on Monday (on own) and made it in 1hr 17mins. i'm hoping to improve on that tonight then increase the distance next week

• Options

Muttley 2

In a moment of complete madness and without doing my usual training (away on hols for two weeks and only one run in the third week) which is usually three to four times a week, I decided to enter the Henfield Half last Sunday.  I thought it would help with my prep for this race. 

It nearly killed me but I got round in a rather slow 2hrs 45mins.  It's my first half, I didn't train as much as I do normally and according to some people is was nearer 13 miles 42. 

The mud was so thick that I nearly lost my trainers and running along the river was like running through sand, but was a fab race.  Will do it again next year.

But I've done it and Barns Green doessn't seem so scary!

Enjoy your running.

• Options
    Good on yer Juliet!!!!
    2:45 on muddy course and along unstable towpath isn't rather slow at all. It's a good time, especially for your first half. Well done. I know what you mean about not puting in enough training pre-race though, it really does kill you doesn't it!
    Hope you had a good holiday too.
    I'm having to hang up my trainers for a fortnight now, due to a slight knee strain. My next run will be the Lingfield dry hill 10 miler. Have to take it easy I suppose.

KP. How did your run go? Good?
    See ya.
  • Options

well done Juliet!

Mutley - i could only manage 5k last night as had tough day at work - i did however knowck 2 mins off my time PB though - 26 mins now! i guess it's good to vary my runs as well rather than doing say 3-4 10k's a week i should do maybe 2 x 10k and then 2-3 x5k?? what do you hink is best for weight loss?

have a good day image

• Options
    Ah well, therein lies a secret Katie. You see if you wanna lose weight, you should do long SLOW runs because that way your body uses a higher ratio of body fat to glycogene to fuel it's run, but if you do faster short runs your body burns up carbs and glycogene in the muscle to fuel the run and so you dont lose as much weight! You get faster at running, but you dont lose the weight quite as fast. Strange eh. Running in any form will help you lose weight though.
  • Options

Ah thanks for the tip! i really dont understand anymore - am getting so much conflicting information about this weight loss business! i dont know how many calories i should be having to balance losing weight but not going inot starvation mode and therefore not losing weight image all the website tell me different amounts of calories!

• Options

Muttley2,

Thanks for the support, I don't think I have EVER found a race so hard.  It just shows that training really helps, but willpower got me round on this occassion.  There was no way I was going to give up, my six year old would never let me forget it!

A knee strain sounds painful!  Hope you are doing what you are told and taking it easy.  image

KP don't get too hung up about calories ect.  Firstly enjoy your running.  If you don't enjoy it, you won't want to do.  In total I have lost 5 stone, although managed to put a few pounds on whilst in France.  So much cheese/ wine, so little time.  Saying that I haven't put on five stone, so what the hell.  I usually run two/three runs at 3 to 5 miles and a long on on a Saturday at 10 miles.  I also try to do weights & pilates twice a week.  I managed to loose my weight with slimming world and kind of stick to there plan, which works for me.I don't run more than four runs as I get too tired and with two kids and a husband to look after, it just isn't happening!

You sound as if you are doing a fantasic job, so don't worry.image 

• Options
    Juliet, here's a good one for you, talking of running with no training. On Feb 2nd this year I fractured my left leg, just above the ankle, and had my leg put in a cast for about 9 weeks in total. I had it taken off April 7 and ran the London Marathon 6 days later having not run an inch for about 10 weeks. To say the least I was shattered at the end, but managed to get around non-stop in 4 hours 56. I only did it 'cos it was my first Marathon and had a lot of money riding on it. Hope to get in again next year to see if i can get a PB. That should be easy!

By the way...5 stone!!!!!!!blimey well done.
  • Options

Mutterly2

There is no way I could run the marathon with training, never mind without!  You must have been so proud of yourself. 

Running has helped with weight loss, still have a stone to go, but I will get there!

PS I've entered the marathon in a moment of madness, just need to wait until October to find out whether to update my will! image

• Options
    Yup proud as hell. What was even better was seeing my missuss, half a mile from the end, and the look on her face. I could even work out the words she said to her sister next to her. She just said, I dont believe it. He's done it. Now she, was really proud, and after being together for 26 years it was a really lovely feeling knowing how proud your partner is of you. Brilliant.
    As the FLM will hopefully be your first mara, I must say you picked the right one. The crowds are fantastic and really keep you going even at your lowest point. I dont know of any other mara with quite such good support. The course is also fairly flat, which is helpful too. Hopefully see you there.
  • Options
    Hi all.
    Katie. I have a rather large back log of runners world mags, and went through them a bit in the bath last night to check something out for you. In one mag is clearly say's that a decision you need to make is whether you want to lose weight or just get faster, and goes on to say exactly what I said in our earlier chat. Then I found a mag from 2004, I think it was, which said a study has shown that running 5 and 10k's fast, mixed with tempo runs, raised you're meatabolism, and as long as you were eating the right foods, you would lose more weight than long slow runs. I see why you say you're confused now! Basically, eat less calories and excercise more and you HAVE to lose weight, no matter how fast you run. Nuff said! Oh yeah, it's definately a bad idea to starve yourself and run, as you're body will just eat its own muscle up to fuel your run if there isn't enough carbs, body fat, and glycogene to support the run. That's layman's terms , but true apparently.
  • Options

Can anyone comment on whether this is a good first half marathon to try? If not, anyone got any other suggestions for a good first-timer in the South East please?

• Options

Hi Suzanne

I haven't done this one yet, but I hear it's rather hilly!

• Options
    Hi Suzanne. It doesn't really matter what run you do for the first time, as long as your capable of covering the distance. Obviously if it's hilly it will be harder than a flat, and possibly boring, course, but no one says that you have to run every inch of the way. If you find a hill too tough, walk up it. You wont be punished, and quite often you'll then overtake the people who ran up it cos they're now worn out and your revived after your little walk. What ever you choose, welcome to the world of running.
  • Options

Suzanne

Muttlery2 is right.  I only did my first half last month and the only thing that mattered was getting round.  EVERYONE was very supportive and kind, so don't worry!image

• Options
    My first half was the Brighton half in February. I wasn't capable of running it all, so I walked some, and still didn't come last!

What I would say is that flat halfs aren't necessarily a good thing. Most of Brighton is very flat, and very boring. It's terribly disheartening being able to see your next turning point, 6 miles away!

Barns Green is hilly, but not mountainous. I'd describe it as undulating, and very pretty, and what goes up must come down!

See you all there!
  • Options

This will be the fifth time I have run Barns Green, and it is my favourite half.  It seems to me that people have desribed it as being more hilly than it actually is. 

It is much flatter than Hastings and Leith Hill.  Even if you compare it with Sussex Beacon in Brighton, which is 90% totally flat, there is no hill at Barn's Green which compares with the climb around the 11 miles mark at Brighton.

I agree with SazzaG that Barns Green is very pretty.  It is also very friendly, well-organised and marshalled and car parking is excellent.

• Options

Barns Green was my first half (last year) and while there are no actually steep uphills, there are undulations which include a gentle but *continuous* slope up from around 9 miles to around 11.5. I don't like continuous slopes and this one forced me to a walk last year, but now I know it's there and have been practising image

The organisation as has been said is really quite impressive.

• Options

I have been terrified about doing this race. image

Did the Half last month to see if I could do the distance, but didn't train as I should have(two weeks hols in France & 1 week of sheer laziness!) I only ran once in three weeks, instead of my usual 3/4 times a week.  I did get round in one piece (but only just!)

Has anyone done Barns Green & Henfield so they could tell me if they are similar.image

• Options

I did Henfield last year but not this.  I have done Barns Green four times.  Both are great races in my view.

BG is a road race whereas Henfield is almost entirely off road.  As a result I think Henfield is a bit tougher than BG. In terms of "hilliness" they are similar.

BG will have more runners, although this won't be a problem, and far more spectators supporters.

Juliet - if you completed Henfield you should have no problem completing BG.

• Options

Adrian

You have just made me a very happy lady!  image

Many Thanks

• Options

First (running) event ever for me, started running in March and entered this a little while ago as a target.

• Options

Le Gav

It's a good target to have.  image

This was due to be my first half, but then one came up near to me and I thought it would be a good training run.  This one seems a popular race and lots of support.

Best of Luck

• Options
    Indeed, it seems about right, best of luck with your racing image
  • Options

Le Gav

Many thanks, I need all the luck I can get! 

Let me know when you get your race number and I will say hi!

• Options
    Will do, I assume they get sent out just before the race?
  • Options

Hi Everyone!

Well I did the Petworth 10k last Sunday but I had not run as much as I would have liked leading up to it and so was rather nervous!  The day was warm and sunny with lots of deer around and rabbit holes to avoid - I did find it much harder - maybe that was because of the thick grass and no road. I managed it in 1 hr 28.

Now I am getting nervous as the BG is coming up in November - I am worried that I will be too slow having had a look at last years results!  I was hoping to come in around 2 hours but now I am not so sure! I seem to be runing slower - around 14 min per mile - can anyone reccomend a good training programme or should I pull out???

lynette

• Options
    Any idea on how difficult it would be to get to this one by public transport? Cab from Horsham station (cost?)? Hitchhike? Thanks.
  • Options

Hi Matt - From Horsham Station you will be looking at around £10 at least by cab as it costs me just to go 2 miles from the town to home £3.60!!

Another suggestion would be to see if anyone is going by car and then they could pick you up on the way from the station.

There are plenty of cabs though outside the train station.

lynette