Options

Allotment News

Comments

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Veg patch at work? Unusual, is it a massive mansion or stg?

Jerusalems, garlic and asparagus all planted to join the onions which are starting to recover from winter. Strawbs planted and terraced beds built for rapsberries & fruit bushes.  Bit of a bonus to get all this done before April thanks to good weather.

Anyone else with advanced planting plans?

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Domiciliary care.
  • Options

Yet another daft gardening question - how do you know if compost is "done". And how do you fill & empty those dalek shaped bins? I have more than one, so I presume one is being filled while the other is doing it's stuff.

There's a limit to what you can get to through the little hatch, is it better to, when it's fully cooked, remove the entire bin & take all the contents out? then reposition the bin itself?

• Options

Stop Press... We shared our first asparagus spear of the year yesterday.......

Just wish we could grow more than one at once

• Options

One between the family doesn't sound like alot, Dave! But it tasted divine, it's one of my favourite vegetables. It's on my list of things to grow, but I keep missing the planting window... Oh, and don't quite know where to put it.

• Options

There's only 2 of us....

We have planted a dozen heads, But even after 6 years they seem to arrive one at once

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

One is better than nowt.

My allotment neighbour has planted 20 crowns in a 3ft x 7ft bed....hmmm.

Still finishing the cabbages and kale from the winter - the crop that keeps on giving

Not sure about compost but when it's done it presumably doesn't seem much llike raw composty stuff any longer?**

**(displays monumental gardening ignorance)

• Options
    Compost looks like the stuff you buy in bags when its ready but with lots of worms image
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    Just installed another two raised beds plus two seed beds in the garden. Spent all day yesterday planting seeds. The greenhouse is full to bursting. :0).

Love this time of year
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    We're back again to carrots and i'm trying tomatoes for the first time (from seed). The first bits of green have appeared but I made the rookie mistake (again) of forgetting to label the pots image
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

We have rhubarb. Lots and lots of rhubarb. Better start collecting jam jars and get that bucket ready for the next rhubarb wine.

Quite why I planted 4 plants I'll never know. They are all different, 3 are small but the 4th is huge no it's HUGE.

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Please can I have some of your Rhubarb.  Despite being one of the easiest plants to grow it always dies in my blooming garden.  I've resorted to putting it in pots this time.

hehehe Emmy-bug.  I got label wotsits this year.  They're fab image although it does take the element of surprise away.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

@Happychap... I did it last year thinking "i'll remember which one is which...." until I moved them out of the way and they got jumbled together.

I wish i could grow rhubarb - it dies in my garden too...

• Options

My rhubarb isn't looking elephantine, but it only went in this time last year, so I'll not pick too heavily. might manage a stalk or two though...

I bought those black stick things with a white marker. So I can tell the difference between carrots & parsnips. not much in it at the moment.

• Options
    Helen Liz wrote (see)

Yet another daft gardening question - how do you know if compost is "done". And how do you fill & empty those dalek shaped bins? I have more than one, so I presume one is being filled while the other is doing it's stuff.

There's a limit to what you can get to through the little hatch, is it better to, when it's fully cooked, remove the entire bin & take all the contents out? then reposition the bin itself?

Having had compost heaps for many years I've always got the best results from open heaps, as large as space allows. I only ever use bins for kitchen waste in the winter months but remove the bins as soon as the temperature warms up in Spring.
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭

Any experts with cherry tomatoes? Im a novice gardener to say the least and have planted seeds which have now grown in the conservatory and are now about 3-4 inches high in their respective pots. When do I transfer them to a growbag in my garden? I have one of those small poly greenhouses but im desperate for them to not die!!! any guidance from expert gardeners appreciated! image

• Options
    Wait until they are about a foot tall, that way they will have less chance of getting killed by an early morning frost. When using gro bags make sure to cut a small leakage holes in the bottom. This will help ensure the root system doesn't get water rot by allowing excess water to drain off.
  • Options
    I'd also put the toms outside during the day as that will be cooler than the conservatory so it will slow down the growing process - bring them in at night as it's still pretty cold/frosty overnight. they'd probably also be OK in the polytunnel overnight now

that's what I'm doing with my toms at the mo as I don't plan to plant them outside until the end of this month when the risk of frost is pretty much gone.
  • Options
    mr fmr f ✭✭✭
    Cheers both, hardly an allotment but you've got to start somewhere haven't you!
  • Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    peas at work yesteray and peas at home today, along with carrots and turnips. They are the odd varieties that i got for christmas. Very colourful carrots and very white turnips. Should be interesting.
  • Options

Have racked more soil over the pots to protect from the frost.

• Options

Hello all

Glad it's April showers, everything is getting a nice drink and making it grow...... downside is, so are the weeds! image

Sweet Pea question from my friend.... when can she plant them? She lives in Birmingham.

Happychap, envious of your raised beds, but we'll have them one day. Got the stuff to do them, we just need to get them done!

My F-i-L is growing some baby rhubarb for me, can't wait until it's done. I've just been into our local farm shop and it seems to be a ridiculous price!

• Options
    if she's planting sweet peas from seeds, they can more or less go in now.

if they are already growing in pots indoors, they need to go out to harden off and then plant up

end of April/early May is a good time to get most plants into the soil as the risk of frost has mainly passed but with the cold weather at the mo you need to be careful planting out tender seedlings. my toms have been outside hardening off but they's in shelter again now with the heavy rain and cool winds as I can see they're getting affected by it
  • Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

I managed to get half the soil into the beds yesterday in a dry patch between the deluges.  So got some more beets, cabbages and sprouts in. 

Squish, I can send Toucs up to you if you like?  But be warned.  His 'C' is CSE woodwork was a fluke I think... image

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Waterlogged.  Strawbs and garlic look happy but don't dare plant anything until/unless the weather improves.

There was an interesting bit on Gardeners World the other day about growing on hotbeds - some fella was harvesting spuds, salads etc in March as all his beds were on top of 12-24 inchs piles of fresh manure.  Must have been literally tons of the stuff - if one could get hold of it and move it, it looks like a stellar way to grow. Anyone tried hotbeds?

• Options
    would love to try hotbeds but don't have a) the space, b) access to that amount of manure, and c) the time to devote to it.

the Victorians were into it big time - many of the big estate gardens had hotbeds, often under purpose made glasshouses. but then they had the money and staff to do the graft. their gold standard was to grow a ripe pineapple - and many succeeded.

• Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Yes the manure-shifting aspect was glossed over....it was very fresh manure too.

Lots of planting today, including Hamburg parsley - anyone tried/succeeded with this odd veg?
  • Options

My spuds finally went in the ground yesterday - after sitting on the windowsill for weeks! 

Slightly concerned that the carrot & parsnip seeds that went in a month ago are showing signs of doing bugger all. Ho hum. Finally got the grow bags, and will get the greenhouse populated. 

And the newly planted plum tree has budded, so at least it seems to have survived planting (always a risk with me around)

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

Parsnips have known for having a slow germination esp when its cold.  No sign of mine yet either.  It doesn't help that they've been under water for two weeks, even in the raised beds image

Off out into the garden today to survey the damage caused by the weather.

• Options
    HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭
    All the beds are now full of soil and the greenhouse is full to bursting. Marigolds and courgettes look amazing but the brassicas are looking very sorry for themselves. Planted some more in the seed bed but might have to go looking for sprouts elsewhere.