Options

Why did YOU start running???

Comments

• Options

Because, about 10 years ago, I was seriously bored on study leave for my GCSE's and thought jogging round a field would be more fun than Chemistry. It was -  I don't do chemistry any more but I still run...though have progressed from the field.

• Options
    My Dad- After he died I became seriously unfit and unhealthy and put on loads of weight and lost my nice figure (which I've never got back more's the pity!). Continue running for me but do GNR (he did the first two) every year in his memory.
  • Options

I used to run at school and showed a little bit of talent for it, especially longer distances, and I always harboured the ambition to run a marathon. Once I left school however, whilst the ambition remained lurking in the background, nothing ever came of it and I never ran again.

Scroll forward 22 years and I’m an unfit and slightly overweight 40 year old. In June I discovered by accident that my wife had entered the Great North Run. This came as a complete surprise because she is not exactly built for running, has dodgy knees and had never shown even the slightest inclination towards running (or indeed walking for that matter). I knew I had to join her, and fortunately I happened to be working for the main sponsor BUPA so managed to get a place on their team. I started training and joined my local club to help with the motivational side. I worked hard for the next 3 months, whilst the wife managed about three sessions before it petered out. On race day I went round in 2 hours 8 minutes, the fastest I could do given the sheer number of people I had to overtake, but a runner was reborn.

Four years later and I’m still slightly overweight (probably more than I was then), and still having problems with shin splints, but I’m a lot fitter and I’ve lowered my half-marathon PB to 1:38. Next year I’ll be looking to try and get that closer to 1:30 and a sub-3:30 marathon, and I’m already looking forward to it image
  • Options
    I started cos i was over 18 and a half stone
  • Options
    Nick LNick L ✭✭✭
    I started cos I was working a crappy job, and had far too much free time and didnt want to spend it sitting on my arse.
  • Options
    The real reason was that I found myself alone after a long term relationship had sadly run its course. Decided if I did nothing else I'd get myself fit - coincidentally an opportunity to run the London marathon presented itself and the rest (34 marathons plus 2 ultras later) is history. 
  • Options
    To lose weight and get some time to myself. I love that I can switch off whilst I run and concentrate on nothing else. It doesn't matter what stresses are happening in my life, once I am running, they all fade into obscurity. And when I'm finished I feel good and life doesn't seem so heavy.
  • Options

For me it was to have the sense of achievement in my otherwise boring housewife/school run existence!! 

I have always been UNABLE to run....but now I CAN run. 

I started in May only managing 30 secs jog then 3 mins walking!!! This Tuesday I managed 5.5k plod around my local streets!!  I couldn't of been happier or more elated.......here's to entering my first 5K race at some point!!!!

• Options

updated totals: 

Get Fit: 11

Lose Weight: 11

Inspired by watching race: 8

Feel Better About Oneself: 11

Bravado/Hell Of It/Bet etc: 6

Always Run: 2

Raise Money for charity: 1

Join In with someone else: 2 

• Options
    My ex girlfriend was (and still is) a very good runner.  When we split up, I decided to see if I could beat her half marathon pb just to make her feel bad.  I did, in my very first race.  image
  • Options
    Daz you must get a life really.......struth. hhmmph....
  • Options
    Gary - you're welcome.
  • Options

Ha ha ha,

I tell you what though i have just joined a club after running alone for about two years and i love it, i run faster and stronger due to having to chase after female lycra covered female bottoms which at present i cannot catch.

How to get fit - chase faster women in a club.

ha ha just jokes.,  

• Options
    An ex wanted me to do a race with him.  It was a 26 mile challenge walk in the Peak District (Goyt Valley Challenge or something) and a small percentage of nutters ran it, my ex included, so started running to train for that.  It was up and down hills, through peat bogs and white out conditions (snow) at one point on the peaks (in April !!).  Got quite fit and enjoyed running and been running ever since (about 8 years now)
  • Options

Separated last November (2006) and knew if I didn't do somthing I would end up a couch potato. A friend suggested we ran together never looked back, beat his PB in the Bristol HM this year and then took another 2 mins 6 sec of my PB in Cardiff, (he's cheesed of with me!).

Now a hell of a lot fitter the road takes away all the stress of the day (especially Mondays!) and I feel that somthing is missing if I don't run.

Joined the local Tri club & looking forward to a full season next year.

• Options

Set my heart on running the London Marathon.  Don't know why, was not a runner, never even watched it on tv, but it became a goal and thats that!

• Options
    Used to get home from work & go to the gym.  Then our daughter arrived and I had to do baby duty in the evenings.  Bloke at work had been mithering me for ages to go running with him at lunchtime, and so I did. Gym membership lapsed, not renewed as I discovered that I love running.  Yes I love the pounding heart, bursting lungs and legs feel like they're about to drop off feeling.
  • Options

I started running again in March because I was getting, in the words of Alan Partridge, "a fat back". I used to run alot in my twenties and loved it so why did I ever give up?!! 

Anyway times have changed - married with young children and a job that involves unsocial hours - so it's not easy to get out there and pound the streets. I go at least 3/4 times a week averaging around 20-25 miles and just ran a competitive 10K in 53 minutes. I've been bitten by the bug again and as I type I'm getting ready for a 5 miler before I leave for work! 

• Options

Good for you Fandang.  I like self-starters, people who do what they say they'll do.  You either have a very understanding wife or a hide like a rhino.

• Options

Thanks Edski. My wife does encourage me although working a run around bath-time can be tricky!!

As I mentioned I'm leaving for a run shortly with that big question - what to eat/drink. Just had a cup of tea and munching my way through two slices of toast. I guess this is a topic for another thread?!!

• Options
    Nutrition - how many opinions do you want!!!  Generally I eat very little before I go running as a full tum makes me feel sick.  So I make up for it when I get back.
  • Options
    i started running ....... to win a girl's heart
  • Options
    That's a strange prize.  Was it one of those strange radio competitions?
  • Options
    very good coops, yes it was a radio competion, Radio Love. I could hardly ever tune in to it and when i found it, it was there for a little while and then went fuzzy
  • Options

I started running because I was heavier than my husband........not good! image

Im lighter than him now though!!  image

• Options

I started running as a drunken bet with my Brother over 10 years ago. I was fed up listening to him go on about running the great north run . All these years later i have now completed 14 1/2 marathons and countless 10k's while he retired from running due to the birth of his two daughters.

• Options

I started running the day before my 50th birthday because I knew that if I left it any later I would be Too Old.

13 maras and an ultra later, having had a complete career change and run in some fantastic places around the world, I'm looking forward to 60 and the (remote) chance being first in category.

I shall have to choose the races carefully, though.

• Options

I started because smoking cigarettes feel amazing and I used to love them. The only thing that could stop me from enjoying them was running until I was about to puke my lungs up, til my hands shook for ten minutes after I stopped and I got one of those big blurred circles in the center of my vision. That'd stop me even looking at a pack of Marlboro for about three hours.

Like most people here who acheived their main goal, I kept going because it feels good, actually better than smoking. 

• Options

I started running to improve my general fitness/stamina so that I could improve my karate.   The weight loss has been a bonus. 

I never considered myself a runner before I tried it, but at the moment I am thoroughly enjoying it.  Currently increasing my distance (slowly) & giving some serious thought to entering a 12k early next year.

• Options

My dad was a runner and planted the seed.  Didn't do much after school and then did Race for Life just after my friend's mum died of cancer when I was about 30.  Then just built up from there to a half marathon with hubby just before our wedding (31).  No more running for a couple of years then two pregnancies in quick succession got me on my feet again to work off the pounds.  I also suffer from deppression and it really helps me keep a healthy mind.  Got one FLM under my belt when my kids were just 1 and 2 (36) and now looking for the 2nd of hopefully many more marathons.