Options

Ban mp3's/ ipods at mass events

Comments

• Options

Interesting persepcitve popsider.

As you've never owned an MP£ I guess you don't know how much noise it blocks out (see above for an example of how it can hamper hearing even when switched off).

When i overtake someone in earphones they can't hear me (I'm heavy and breathe like a rabid rhino) and sometimes sifdestep into me to avoid an obstacle - if only they could hear that I was there

I listen to music in the car, but my car has 4 mirrors so I can seewhat's going on behind me, on both sides and my blind spot. If they devise a mirror system to go with mp3/ipods then meybe they should wear them.

I don't think were after something to moan about. Most mp3/ipod racers mean no harm and are polite folk, unlike some runners who shove past and say "scuseme" while they are shoving. But I do have more problems overtaking folk with earphones in their ears. 

99% of runners are considerate to each other - they don't shove and don't want to risk injury to themselves or others. But those with earphones are more of a liability than those who are not. I've seen deaf runners wearing vests with "Deaf Runner" printed on the back - they didn't chose to be deaf - why would they do that if lack of ability to hear did not impair awareness?

• Options
    M62 Steve just about sums it up. There is a huge difference between music in the background and MP3 in the ear just from the external muffling perspective. Pacing a group at Cardiff, fair and due notice was called ahead but invariably the people we had difficulty navigating the group by, without exception, were those with earphones, who, when their attention was attracted by other means, were less than polite in some instances, about being disturbed from their zone. I for one, don't see the point in taking part in a mass event if you immediately cut yourself off from a large part of the experience. If you, your mp3 and the group are needed to get you round that seems to me a very self centred choice, but if taken, can result in safety issues for self and those around. I'm all for personal choice, I do believe in rights but with them come responsibilities.
  • Options

Actually I think radios should be banned in cars - or at least permanently tuned to uplifting military music, punctuated by the theme from the Billy Cotton Band show "WAKEY WAKEEEEY"

All cars should also be fitted internally with a 110Db  marine foghorn that sounds at 15 minute intervals just to ensure the driver is still awake.

Additionally all speed cameras should be banned and replaced with speed activated anti tank guns, and parking attendendants should be issued with limpet mines in lieu of a book of tickets.

• Options

I love music and could not run without it - unless im out running with someone.

i blame wearing my mp3 has actually made me more aware of road safety because instead of presuming there isnt a car coming and having a quick glance before crossing -i really turn around to look and check again before crossing-but i dont know if thats just me.

• Options

Does nobody here listen to music or the radio in their car?    What's the difference between that and listening to an MP3 whilst cycling

The way the sound is broadcast is diffrent. In ear as oppsed to out of ear via speakers IE the same as someone talking to you etc. Then you get the chavs with novas and sound systems worth more than the car blasting out. Again fecking annoying.

FR what march would you recommend?

• Options

Laurie - does that mean that if you didn't wear your MP3 you wouldn't look behind you?

I empathise with your point about not being able to run without music, I love doing a long run and getting in the zone . When I did my first race of the year (Great Manchester Run) I hardly enjoyed if because I was used to training to music. When I did The City of Manchester 10k I made sure I listenned to my "zone" tune in my car on the way and on my MP3 before I got to the start. Not only did it stay in my head, it got a bit faster as & when I needed. After 5k I had my own mixes going on in my head resulting in an amazing uplifting "The Rocker" by Thin Lizzy to spring finish for a PB (4mins faster than previous PB).

I'm so used to my "in brain" MP3 player that it happens automatically now. When I did my first Half Marathon (started way to fast) I felt like pulling out after 12 miles. For some reason my brain decided that the dreadfull, "Boys In Blue" (Manchester City) song would be the best thing to keep me going. It did - I knew I needed to slow down and that song did the trick. Then when I saw Cardiff Castle my "in brain MP3" switched to Hen Wlad Fy Nadau (Land of Our Fathers, the Welsh National anthem) and I ran as fast as I could. Result - I beat my target time by 9 minutes. 

So I agree that, for many, it is impossible to run without music - at the very least it helps you along. But we all have brains in our heads and they are the best MP3s you can use. The earphones don't slip out of your ears when you sweat, the batteries can be charged with water and Lucozade, they automatically react to what pace you need to run at and, most importantlty, they enable you to hear what is going on around you. 

• Options

I find that music helps to block out the sound of  heavy breathing (and sometimes you dont actually feel as bad as you sound!) so it pushes me psychologically cus i cant hear the rasping of someone who sounds like theyr'e on their last legs at a hard part of the run! I still feel knackered but i find not hearing myself really helps. Plus music gives you a push - if you enjoy music and its part of your life - i blame the fact that when i was a baby my cot was between two speakers, and my first toys were the record sleeves of my dads precious albums...

I thought i could never run without music until i did the flm. I told everyone id never get through without my music. But i didnt put my earphones in until about 21 miles when it was really getting tough -but to be honest i got through one track and had to remove them because i felt rude towards the fantastic supporters and i needed to hear what people were saying - this is what got me through ,not the music.

As for safety -im more safety conscious when wearing earphones because instead of listening out for a car and presuming there isnt one coming with a quick useless glance - i actually have a really good 'full -head -turn' look! However it does worry me that  when im running in the dark with earphones i wouldnt hear someone coming up behind me. I do a lot of pausing the music if i go past someone dodgy looking so i can hear if they follow me after iv run past -paranoid but you never know!!

• Options

sorry didnt mean to have two separate messages

• Options
    MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    But I like the sound of heavy breathing ... especially from red-faced, breathless young ladies ... something I only get to see and hear at races these days now I'm getting older image
  • Options
    m62 steve - i am quite good anyway when it comes to road safety - but i notice myself looking a lot more carefully when iv got my earphones in  -to a point where i look a bit silly!
  • Options
    Laurie x - well done on the road safety. What do you do to increase your awareness of runners running behind you? How do you know not to sidestep to avoid a slower runner without crashing into someone who is attempting to overtake you?
  • Options

From a commentators perspective...

When we are at races the information given out at the start is listened to as most people who use mp3 and the like are not tuned in yet..... BUT at the end of a race when we are trying to encourage runners and complimenting them on their success, or relaying further instructions, they cant hear a word we are saying.  A point in case.... I was at an event in Brighton a couple of weeks ago and a very good Eurosport Commentator was working very hard to encourage  the runners down the final few yards only for them to totally blank him out as they were listening to their music.. So as mentioned before why use these and miss out on all the periferal entertainment. Anyway how many times do you get to hear your own name called out over a tannoy system at the end of a race.  Take them of in races  please !!!  end of rant.... back to the kitchen for lunch..

• Options

Honestly why do people get so uptight about this issue.  It really annoys me too - only I am on the other side of the fence. I raced  yesterday in a really quiet race - less than 1000 people, half marathon, for most of it I was on my own.  I had one headphone in and one out. I managed (oh wow yes I really can multi task and retain awareness) to speak to all of the marshalls and the other runners that I knew if and when we overtook one another. Lots of people were wearing both earphones and NO-ONE as far as i saw got run over - bumped into anyone else or had an issue. 

If the atmosphere 'gets you round' well good for you - it doesn't work for me.  Having done FLM twice and NY city marathon - once with my ipod and twice without - I prefer having at least one ear full of music.  For us slower than the average runner types where a half marathon is closer to 2 hours than 1 and a marathon is at least 4 then I am sorry to offend you BUT I WANT MY BL**DY MUSIC.

Counting road kill does help as does nice scenery and chatting to other runners but for those lonely stretches where everything hurts and no-one else is around and you are staring at a big hill rising up in front of you  - a little bit of scissor sisters does wonders for the mind.

You get inconsiderate rude runners with or without headphones. ALL of the ignorant sods that have ever cut me up in big races are not wearing music.  Why can you not just live and let live. Some people want it some people don't. 

• Options
    Are ipods/mp3's the new dogs on here then ??
  • Options

m62 steve -well generally when im out running in the middle of nowhere the only thing i have to step aside is horse poo.

but seriously  -as i said in my long and boring message before...i didnt wear it during the flm because i agree with what others have said about being aware of other people, including supporters and i do think its quite rude. but then again i did use it during one race because it was a very rural half marathon and to be honest when your pretty much running in front of everyone else, theres no risk of accidently legging anyone up!

or should i have said 'behind everyone else.......' image

• Options

Seems so FR !

Pops - I tried a couple of rides with an Ipod in and didnt like it. Although it was only on low, and only in one ear - (amazingly) I couldnt hear road noise as normal. So instead of riding down country lanes and hearing cars approach - the first thing I knew was when they were right behind me. Which I found a bit un nerving.

Its not like driving with the radio on. My bike hasnt got wing mirrors to see whats going on behind me - and its rare that you get overtaken in a car unless you're on a dual carriageway/motorway.  As you know with cycling - a few inches clearance makes all the difference, so I've not ridden with them again.

I reckon FLM could ban them and at one swoop reduce the over subscription problem !image 

• Options

Whooooops - sorry Laurie x. I also train with earphones.

GymAddict - the title of this thread is Band mp3's/ipods at mass events.  When you're on your own like you were yesterday then I don't see a problem really. When it's crowded almost all the way they do cause problems.

• Options

cougie...I only tried it once too - a few miles down the road and a truck appeared "as if by magic" at my shoulder. Must have been several more miles before my heart rate was back to normal....

I sympathise with the people who find they struggle without music, but ultimatley, if the race organisers state that you are not allowed to wear one, you should not wear one, and should be disqualified if you do. Its a simple issue of rules, no matter how persuasively you can argue that you will be just as safe. You cant pick and choose the rules you abide by.

• Options

M62 - fair enough = but as you must have noticed this topic comes up again and again with lots of invective spewing out left, right and centre. I just want to stand up for the mp3 wearer and say that I think that it can be used safely.

Have to say that the last time I did FLM (with one headphone in of course) the roar of the crowd did overwhelm the music at times.  Being a sociable type, I also did  chat to quite a few folks without having to stop music or take headphone out - all that the music did was provide a backdrop for when I was seriously flagging. 

• Options

And I think that in life, in general, people will always pick and choose which rules they want to follow and which ones they will ignore. 

• Options

GymAddict i agree - do what you want as long as your not purposefully hurting anyone else. Im not going to stop wearing my earphones just in case i accidently bump into someone. I might just stop wearing the sun glasses that block out my side vision completely.....

• Options

And I think that in life, in general, people will always pick and choose which rules they want to follow and which ones they will ignore.

And this is why we have overcrowded prisons....

• Options

Im not going to stop wearing my earphones just in case i accidently bump into someone.

So you won't complain when you hit the floor from making contact with me in a run?

Sun glassess should not block out any vision(if you have some and drive the plod will nick you for it)

• Options

I wear ipods on training runs and events. I can hear what is going on around me. However much you say we cannot hear what is going on, that doesn't change the fact which is that I can.

Live and let live.

• Options
    I still think its a bad idea.  But if the race organiser says that they arent allowed - then you really shouldnt wear them. They put a lot of time and effort into their events and you should go with their judgements.
  • Options

well yes i would have something to say if you ran into me not looking where you were going because you presume that everyone runs in a perfectly straight line and only your hearing will stop you from bumping into someone. 

Iv only ever fallen because i tripped over my own feet but hey im clumsy maybe they should ban me from races as im a danger to others! The only other 'near fall /bump' experiences iv had were with the arrogant runners who bump into people because they have this -'get out of my way im better than you 'attitude and god help those who happen to move slightly to the left unannounced!

we all need bells! but accidents do happen and i think there are more reasons than just mp3 usage -we cant get rid of those reasons -Britains turning into a nanny state as it is.

by the way  -i dont wear those sun glasses when driving or running  - i was joking........

• Options

Laurie it is not arrogance its being P8ssed off dodging the MP3 crowd.

That is my stance. I stand by the AAC rules. No eletric devices to be used in a race. If everyone starts to ignore this rule I shall race in a tesco trolly.

Unfair and annoying to other racers, you bet but hey other ignore rules.

• Options

To be honest i didnt even know about this rule. If i knew it then i wouldnt break it..but then no one seems bothered about enforcing it. And i know they shouldnt have to because people should follow the rules but unless theres a good reason for it then generally people dont. I think driving whilst on a mobile is a much bigger problem! I dont want some dick head running me over because he's phoning to tell his wife he'll be home in 2 minutes!

I'm sure they arent as annoying as you make out are you saying someone not wearing an mp3 has never nearly sent you flying? I cant believe it because its happened to me enough.