Options

Ban mp3's/ ipods at mass events

Comments

• Options

Good point TT.

Maybe we should ask deaf runners how they cope being potential hazards or even ask them to stay at home in case they run in front of someone during a race?

• Options

Being deaf I assume coping mechanisms are in their life. Like hearing aids, lip reading and sign language.

Now do you have them skills wearing an MP3 player?

• Options

Yep actually i do but even if i didn't-it's fairly easy to lip-read if someone is only mouthing 2 words and the 2nd one is 'off'.

Maybe if mp3 owners had a license and training (hang on thats silly).

Ban mp3s!

ban people humming tunes aswell because surely that is excatly the same...there's this unscientific study (of poor methodological quality) which i can't accurately cite or interpret but anyway i heard from someone that it's really dangerous....

Racers on the right (no mp3s), i-plodders on the left hand side of the road

Job done.

• Options

Ah yes ban "hummers"

bain of my office!!!!

• Options

Yep actually i do but even if i didn't-it's fairly easy to lip-read if someone is only mouthing 2 words and the 2nd one is 'off'.

LOL image

• Options
    I ran New York on Sunday and wore my iPod.  I decided that I'd use it during the periods where the support wasn't as good, I'd been advised that this was the case in NY.  I used it for probably a total of 30 mins and found it extremely beneficial.  I didn't knock anybody out of the way or trip anybody up due to wearing it but I did get knocked and was nearly pushed over by people not wearing them which just proves the point that the wearing of mp3 players isn't the problem it is RUDE people.
  • Options
    Perhaps the support wasn't so good because people have decided that there's no point turning up and creating an atmosphere for ear-phone wearing runners who can't hear them anyway.
  • Options
    Tbh I'm more disappointed in your deliberately ignoring of the rules of a race you participated in than the fact that you wore an mp3-player, Wolfy.
  • Options

Agreed Wolfy-ignorance is the enemy (or is that enema?)

Unfortunately we cannot ban that but we must educate and coherce and if that fails...shouting is always good.

Incidentally my mp3 experience was ruined by the Nike wall of sound at the great north this year ( i was plodding so thought i'd listen to music).

Maybe mp3 jammers will be available in the future!

• Options

Agreed Wolfy-ignorance is the enemy (or is that enema?)

Unfortunately we cannot ban that but we must educate and coherce and if that fails...shouting is always good.

Incidentally my mp3 experience was ruined by the Nike wall of sound at the great north this year ( i was plodding so thought i'd listen to music).

Maybe mp3 jammers will be available in the future!

• Options

Firstly well done on completing NY Wolfie.image

You are of course correct that it is not the mp3 it's the person. I think the mp3 can make a person less aware of thier suroundings and therefore appear ruder.

On a personel level I find the body language of someone wearing an mp3 is bluntly saying "Leave me alone, I don't want to know you, I am not to be approached". This is probably not true in most cases but that is the message that is being sent out by wearing them.

• Options
    I've lost count of the number of people (without mp3s) who just don't want to talk as we run.Maybe it's me? Having said that-someone chatted happily recently (Stroud half) to me despite that fact that i was wearing my i-plod.Quite annoying as i had some great tunes on...just kidding-it was nice to talk...then she sped  off!
  • Options

Muttley not at all I think it was more because we were running over bridges where spectators were not allowed.

imski New York didn't ban mp3 players to my knowledge

Thanks Rarebit.  Yes you could be right about the body langauage. That said on the couple of times that I did forget to turn it off when back with the supporters I could hear them shouting my name and as always I recognised and acknowledged their words of encouragement. This being because I am not a rude person.

• Options
    Quite the opposite I'm sure
  • Options

Rug maybe she thought you were hot image

I did a 10 miler Sunday - first one and took my iPod along. I dropped out of the Solent Half because I checked first if they were allowed or not? and they weren't. I didn't find out til I got to my 10 miler and over loud speaker said not to wear them. I tucked it into my top and left it and set off, starting talking to a random..which kept me going for 4 miles, but I agree with Rug there was plenty of people there minus pods that made no effort to chat back to me..some do, some don't want to be bothered..*shrug* each to their own..

When I was on a stretch on my own & even though you weren't allowed!! I put one of my iPod earphones in, the landscape of the same trees and smell of horse dung, by then wasn't really entertaining me, still had 6 miles to go and I knew some killer hills would be coming up. I was still aware of everything going on and soon as I starting catching other people up, took it back out again. I actually noticed a lady stop and asked if she was ok - she had a stitch, so I decided to stay with her to the finish line..am I breaking the rule? an ipod wearer also interested in the well being of fellow runners? ooooo....

So overall it was an interesting experiment..being amongst other runners..it's not so bad, you kind of don't have a choice if your feeling tired or losing the will, but to keep going and go along with the crowd, then if you meet someone chatty - it's also a bonus, so your lucky if you have a running buddie to do races with you, but if your alone, especially like I was on that stretch..jesus. I would have been walking if I didn't have that choice of just having my pod for that short amount of time...forget it! I also think if I was on my own towards the end, my time would have been faster, if I was listening to music, it would have definately pumped me up a bit - when I was flagging.

• Options

Wolfy - ALL races in the US (by this I mean those are organised undere UST&F rules) don't allow mp3-players.

(And yes, I know, you're not the only one blatantly ignoring this)

• Options

"MP3s in races are like that. We are building scientific evidence that they are detrimental to people's visual concentration; ability to negotiate personal space appropriately; auditary capabilities... Unless people start building up the counter arguement, then the evidence all points pretty much one way. "

Yeah yeah, when you can refer me to a published study that shows wearing an MP3 in a race creates a significant risk then I'll believe you.   And you can bet they've banned blind drivers from motorsport without legal action too! 

• Options
    Imski I can't find anything on the website asking me not to wear them.  You can't ignore what you aren't aware of.
  • Options
    Also if it was such a big deal then the zillions of people that were marshalling the event on Sunday would have asked me to take it off.  Really cannot see the problem here. 
  • Options

If I managed to find out, so could you I'm sure...

I posted this on 1/11:

Wolfie - SURELY there are more important/interesting topics to discuss!  I love my iPod and have ran 600+ hard miles with it in prep for Sundays New York marathon and if I choose to wear it on the day then I bloody well will regardless of what others think.  I'm a considering and thoughtful runner and if I bang into somebody else it won't be because I'm wearing my iPod!

You may want to be aware of the fact that they are actually banned in NY (and any other race ran under the us governing body), but I'll grant you that they don't consider it practical to try and enforce the ban.

"USA Track & Field, the national governing body for running, this year banned the use of headphones and portable audio players like iPods at its official races."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/01/sports/othersports/01marathon.html?ex=1351656000&en=defd4ec149637c47&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

• Options

Hiya Wolfums - hows the tum ? Good time there - gutted about the injury ! FLM next year ?

They did ban MP3s at the NY marathon - it made it onto the front page of the BBC News website.  But I guess they didnt tell the racers ? D'oh !

From the Times of London

Love the comment from the girl who has never run without them, and says she couldnt. Er how would she know then ?

• Options

Had noticed this thread but ignored it as I thought the subject had been done to death previously, however......

Training down a cycle path in Basingstoke at 10 this morning, putting in a long rep and come up behind a much slower female runner wearing headphones.

Gave quite a loud "coming past" warning when I was about 20 meters from her, as I passed she screamed, lashed out knocking my glasses off. OK no serious damage but her excuse was she did not hear me and thought she was being attacked.

• Options
    cougs, don't we have another runner here who posted on one of these 'ban mp3s' threads that took a deep breath and went for a 10 mile run 'sans mp3' and not posted again on that thread since. Spooky, maybe he/she spontaneously combusted or something...
  • Options

Imski if I was concerned in anyway I'm sure I would have but quite frankly I'm not.

Cougs the tum is feeling a lot better today, off for a 5 miler later and I'm thinking of doing the Luton marathon on 2nd December to try to get that time I wanted.

Now I wonder if Luton have banned mp3's and what ingenious ways (like Muffingirl) can I come up with to hide mine when I run round with it????

• Options
    BIKILA I think that girl was silly wearing an mp3 in an isolated area like that anyway and I honestly wouldn't as it is too dangerous for women.
  • Options

Sounds like me Imski...  I thought I could never ever run without my ipod and music getting me through runs. That in itself was enough for me to try without it and no spontaneous combustion!

Same thing with my perpetual wearing of a heart rate monitor... I didn't 'know' how I felt without the numbers telling me I was running with too much/too little intensity.

Some days I train with my mp3, some days I don't. No big deal. 

• Options
    Wolfy..just feed it under your top..up your back..have long hair to hide your ears?? guess that would do it..
  • Options
    Alternatively you could just abide by the rules?
  • Options
    Muffin yes I do have long hair so can easily use it to hide ears.  Might see if I can spray the white wires skin colour then nobody will notice will they???  Or I might be really,really naughty and do the course on my bike....do you think they'd take offence to that or is that not quite as serious?
  • Options
    Imski where is the fun in that eh?