Options

Dublin Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

Thanks ORR image

Got a hip problem - physio thinks I may have torn my gult med about a month ago & haven't let it heal.

I'm really 'torn' (no pun intended) over what to do. I still want to go to Dublin as my cousin is running & we've booked the flights etc. But if I do go I'll think 'sod it, I've paid £65 I might as well do it'.

This weekend I was meant to be mountain biking in Wales. I had to not take my bike or any gear at all to stop me from doing anything. I was even tempted to hire a bike!!

Physio again tomorrow so I'll see what his opinion is. Then got to book for the steriod injection he has suggested image

• Options
    Good luck Mitten.  I think the course is open for 8 hours for the walkers, so you would have plenty of time to finish.  I hate following the advice of the sports wizards but hopefully he will give you the all clear. 
  • Options

Did my one and only LSR before this race a massive 6 miles!!

Next Monday is going to be a bit interesting. My brother may have a chance of beating me. image

• Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    Well, if you want someone to walk with....................................
  • Options

Aw...you guys!!  Sorry to hear about your injury Mitten....hopefully you'll gtet round no problems!

ITB....we were thinking about you today when we watched match of the day (repeat)...it seems it's dangerous being a referee!!  Well done on 6 miles!!  Woohoo!!image

• Options
    Good luck to both Mitten and ITB.  Hope to see you there
  • Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

I'm 85% 'no' at the moment - on the basis that I can't sit crossed legged on floor without pain.

I will still be there somewhere though image Although I may not be able to watch the whole race if I can't run it.

On the plus side it would mean I can drink more on the Sunday night image

• Options

Good luck with Physio today Mitten.  Interested to know what your injury feels like and what the physio has done.....................................I am also suffering from hip pain which started on my 8 miler yesterday (came home after 3 miles)  Hoping to see a Physio later today. 

The pain is worse this morning and hurts when stationary as well as moving - feels like joint rather than muscular.  This will be my first mara and aiming for under 5 hours?  How about you?

I AM SO GUTTED!  image

• Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Morning all

Finding this taper business really hard. I keep wanting to run further than scheduled and did 12 miles yesterday rather than the planned 8. Have decided not to run today to compensate image

Bad luck mitten. Better not to run than make the injury worse, temting though it is.

Suzy newbie - it could be an illio-tibial band problem. That often feels like the joint when in reality it is the tendon/fascia that passes over the outer edge of the hip and runs down to the knee. I have had loads of problems with mine over the years and find that the best stretch for it is:

Stand on good leg and hold the knee of the bad leg with the opposite hand. Pull thw knee across your bodyto stretch the ITB across the hip. Increase the stretch by pointing your toes on the bad leg. It helps if you stand next to a wall, table or chair that you can staedy yourself with. Alternatively try the 'bus stop' stretch.

• Options

mitten,

happy to run in your place if you can't do it image

• Options

Hi Nick - I'm sure you know that swapping numbers is a big no-no for all sorts of reasons (a few of teh regulars on here organise races and they tend to jump up and down and go purple when people suggest it so I'm heading that all off at the pass!).  Best of luck with trying to get in though, it's a good race.

Mitten - gutted, I can't imagine what it must be like to get so close and then have to drop out.  I really do agree with teh point about "lots of marathons, only one mitten" though, no point risking serious long term damage and £65 isn't much when you think how much you may need to pay in physio bills in the future if you do run it...

On teh other side I want to say now that I hate teh taper.  Every timy little twinge and niggle and I think "oh no, serious injury!" when I probably wouldn't even have noticed it a couple of weeks ago.  I've also started sneezing.  If this is the start of a cold I am gunning for everyone I have met over the last few days...

• Options
    Dublin marathon does not allow transfers. I'm not quite purple but it's a bit strange to put a big smiley face when you delight in mitten's misfortune.
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

So - back to food on Sunday night.

Is there any enthusiasm for meeting at this Luigi Malone's place on Sunday night for a bit of carbo-loading? It looks like there is pasta for the runners, pizza for the kids and wine for the non-running spouses image

http://www.luigimalones.com/LUIGIMALONES/web-content/dublin.htm

• Options
    Podro, I'm not entirely sure of my travel plans yet. It may be that I just arrive in Dublin on Monday morning.
  • Options
    ggggh, Zuppy has just announced he fancies running a 100km in Wasilla in February.....
  • Options
    SL - how would that fit in with your training to jog the women's mini marathon?
  • Options
    smiley lady (M.) wrote (see)
    Dublin marathon does not allow transfers. I'm not quite purple but it's a bit strange to put a big smiley face when you delight in mitten's misfortune.
    Exactly what I thought when I saw that smiley SL.  Not very nice image
  • Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

Thanks again everyone ((())). Esp SL & Bridget - I thought the same when I saw the image esp as I know I am now out image

Anyway...... back from physio & he's pretty sure I've got Hip Bursitis (here for the best information I could find http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/hip_and_thigh/trochanteric_bursitis_full.php)

As this is mainly classed as an 'over-use' injury it's been suggested that I'm best not to do Dublin next weekend.  I’m thinking he may be right.

Instead I'm going to be popping ibuprofen like it’s going out of fashion & should hopefully get a steroid injection later in the week. After that it will be 2 weeks of rest. Although it will feel great after the injection it'll still need a couple of weeks to heal.

I'm really peeved, but am still coming over to enjoy the weekend. I may get a bit imageimageimage watching the marathon though. Perhaps I'll just find a pub to sulk in image

What are the plans for pre-race meeting etc?

Mitts

• Options

I am just catching up from today as there was no internet at work today. image

Mitts, sorry to hear about your injury.

I will be wearing a bit of pirate kit, referee kit (not the uniform) and some ironman stuff just need to get some tractor boy stuff in somewhere.

Based on my "long" run pace and extrapolating it a lot I have adjusted my time to the next band of sub 5:30, I have also included my brother on the spreadsheet.

• Options

Sorry to hear about your injury mitten. I feel your pain in being disappointed so close to the race. It will be tough watching everyone else run but you need to let that injury heal. Enjoy the weekend here in Dublin anyway.

So chin up girl, it could always be worse*.

* Only able to say that 3 weeks post stress fracture - after all the tears and tantrums!

• Options

Weather forecast looks interesting!

Good news is there is plenty of time for this to change

• Options
    I may have to bring my wetsuit. Although the weather looks better for the afternoon session.
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    Eeek!! I don't mind rain, but 30mph winds AND rain would be awful. Lets hope they are hopelessly wrong and this forecast is nearer the reality.
  • Options

Oh no Mitten! imageimageimage

Suzy on Shade's thread has just picked up the same injury and is hoping to still run. I didn't know it could be so bad.

I've been ill for 5 weeks now and haven't made any decisions about the race yet. I might come and sit in the pub too - especially if the weather is as bad as predicted!

Hadn't even crossed my mind it might rain....image

In Ireland - in October! image I know.....image

I'll get my coat.....

• Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

I never really have too much confidence in those longer-term forecasts to be honest. Even the 5 Day ones are a bit of a guess for them I reckon.

Still, let's hope the one Podro just posted is right!!

• Options

I found this one! As it says what I want it to say, I'm having this one.....

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Dublin-EIXX0014

• Options
    In either case I will be wearing a few layers being a proper southerner wuss.
  • Options
    LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    I think I will too ITB - although as a Northerner I'm clearly much harder than you!!
  • Options
    As most of you know there is a busy Irish forum that has a Marathon section.  There are a load of people from there heading up to Dublin for the race and the suggestion has been made that we "keep all the internet running wierdos in one place" and have a joint post race beer.  Venue is open for discussion and the thread is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055402149&page=3 if anyone wants to join in?  BK, you seem to be chaperone in cheif - want to pop over and lead teh celebrations and co-ordinations??