Options

Dublin Marathon 2008

Comments

• Options
    Dublin City marathon wrote
    What will the course be marked in?

The route will be marked with mile signs and marked at 5 Km intervals.

Frecks, taken from the marathonw website.... gives up image
  • Options

So how many people here are still running on Monday?
    277 pages and only a handful of runners, lol image

Had a cold coming on this week but touch wood I've put that behind me now.
    Really looking forward to Monday now as with last years experience I know I can finish so now it's a case of looking after the bit inbetween.....

Had no breakfast last year out of routine which didn't stand to me at all.
    Also skipped some water stations stupidly so all that will be rectified this time.
    Planning on running from station to station with around 30 secs to a min drink time at each one.

• Options
    ITB - how's your ankle holding up at the moment?
  • Options
    Barry, where has your picture gone?
  • Options
    I changed it to something new and fantastic which is obviously taking ages to be deemed suitable.
  • Options
    aha, you're back and looking rather fetching in yellow it must be said!
  • Options
    LOL....I love your new picture BK!!
  • Options

I changed my pic too during the many months I skipped the thread . Knew I wasn't running this year so felt a bit guilty.image

Might make a comeback in 2009 thoughimage , I believe its an anniversary year ???

• Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭
    --amadeus-- wrote (see)

I genuinley cannot swim - I can front crawl maybe half a length and while I can happily backstroke along or float in a pool on holiday I have the impression that an IM may involve a bit more work than that...

When I started training for IM Austria in December 06 I could only swim breast stroke and back stroke. My front crawl was non-existant. By July 07 I was able to swim front crawl very slowly and managed the swim section of IMA in 1:42. It takes a bit of work, but it can be done.

--amadeus-- wrote (see)

From what you've said you are up at the pointy end of the field so advice / opinions would be welcome on improving speed actually. I am training to a modified P&D plan at the minute which averaged 45 - 55 miles per week.  1 cross training session per week, mid week runs of 8 - 15 miles and LSRS that included 2*18, 1*20 and 2*21.  One of the 21s was a progressive run (1/3 at LSR followed by 1/3 at regular pace and final 1/3 as close to PMP as possible).  I have also done a weekly speed session - 3 *1600m reps a couple of weeks ago, lots of 6*600 / 6*800 / 6*1000m sessions and reglar runs including strides.  I have also done a couple of mid length PMP runs - 12 and 15 at an average of 7:15 m/m.

Any advice, what helped you go sub 3?

I haven't gone sub-3 yet! Dublin is my latest attempt at it. So far, the best I have managed is 3:07.

For me, biggest gains in speed came with high mileage. This training block I have peaked at 80 miles per week with a lot of high cadence hilly cycling thrown in for good measure. I have done something like 2*18 4*20 and 4*23 mile LSRs. The last 4 have been done as intervals of 1 mile at marathon pace and 2 miles of marathon pace+50secs. I also do 2 tempo runs and a speedwork/hill session the culmination of which is 6*1600m at 6:20 pace with 400m at 7:40 pace jogs between. I also do plyometrics once a week before the speedwork session and should do more of them but feel a bit stupid doing them on my own. On top of this I swim as well and find that the repeated pushing off the wall helps with calf strength.

Now I'm tapering I feel at a bit of a loose end image

• Options

Very smart you look, Barry

Weather forecast improving! 

• Options

Morning!

Does anybody know how good the expo is? image

Mr LB has a hot date in front of a tv screen watching 11 scouse men in red shorts trounce the blue southern jessies and I have a feeling that if it's not very big (or very good) I'm going to have trouble dragging him away to RDS.

How are we all today?image

• Options
    Liverbird, TBH it's not great. Not the worst I've ever seen but not a patch on the really big marathons.
  • Options
    LB - there's probably nothing there to entice a non-runner away from a pub showing football.
  • Options

swit-swoo BK.

LB, compared to the fiasco that was Berlin, (felt like I'd run a marathon after battling throught that sodding expo) Dublin is easy to move around.  There's not a massive amount there but I still think it's nice.  Then again, I've only one other to compare it to.

Lashing rain today, let's hope it picks up for Monday.

• Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭

I don't think I'll be going to the expo. We don't arrive until just after midday on Sunday (subject to Ryanair) so my cousin is collecting my number for me.

Just had pancakes with bananas & syrup for breakfast image

• Options
    I miss carb loading!!
  • Options

BBC 5 day forecast says its will be sunny and 9degree's on monday. woo hoo

I feel like a fat blimp since i've shortened my runs this week! 

• Options

Barry, my ankle is looking ok just my leg muscles due to the lack of training.

On you picture if you just had an ipswich hat on and some gloves that will be me on Monday.

• Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    I'm carb-loading on the bread & butter I've just made image
  • Options
    Barry K wrote (see)
    LB - there's probably nothing there to entice a non-runner away from a pub showing football.

He IS a runner, Barry. He's done the 5 world marathon majors. He's also a shopper! image

But he's a scouse red first and foremost - and I won't drag him away from his true love....image

• Options
    You've made some butter Mitten? image
  • Options

hi all sorry to hear some people cannot make it.

I did Amsterdam on Sunday and did 3:51 really pleased with that , looking forward to Dublin.

Is anyone meeting up at all.

• Options
    smiley lady (M.) wrote (see)
    Dublin City marathon wrote
    What will the course be marked in?

The route will be marked with mile signs and marked at 5 Km intervals.

Frecks, taken from the marathonw website.... gives up image
     Sorry, should have looked there first, I forget they have a website, thank you for letting me know.
  • Options

i'm mtg fetch folks on sunday - for pasta

up for a saturday meetup for f?ood

amster ?

• Options

<RANT>

F$%*@#g Channel 5, the baseball overran so they skipped the Ironman France and put on the next program about a wildlife rescue center, image

</RANT>

At least it is the last day at work before my autumn sightseeing city break.

• Options
    Hmm I wonder if that means my Sky + will have taped baseball or wildlife?
  • Options
    m.ittenm.itten ✭✭✭
    Obviously I mean pudding image
  • Options

Morning all - Friday here and the sun is out, the wind has all but abated, if the race was today, you'd all be loving it....

Anyone in town on Saturday wants to meet up for food, etc. drop me a note (Liam3494@gmail.com) and we can exchange mobiles...

The offer for the Hash Run on Sunday morning still stands, 11am outside the Shelbourne, and it will only be a VERY light jog, and a way of blowing away cobwebs.

As a staunch Liverpool fan myself, and not running the marathon, I will be esconsed in the pub watching our boys slaughetr the Russian Cockneys, so again, if any LiverBirds want a companion for the match, SHOUT! We will be in O'Donoghue's on Merrion Row on Sunday afternoon - And plenty of pubs with Big Screens and Great Atmosphere - I'll be there ....

And in answer to a certain Smiling Lady, yes, Injuries can be overvcome, I fear at my age that Fatness is harder image ......

Foxy - Hope to see you over next year again...

• Options
    BK, mostly likely the end of the baseball. I added the programs on either side just in case they changed the time. I have sent a disgruntled email to their customer services.
  • Options
    PodroPodro ✭✭✭

Weather forecast for Monday is OK as far as rain is concerned but wind may be a factor.

This one looks a even better.