Options

Weight & Performance

Comments

• Options

Treadmill

If i'm completely honest if i had to run just for pure fitness without racing (not that i'm in any position to win anything) i would struggle. Don't get me wrong i love running probably explains why i kept returning to it.
    But what i do enjoy is testing myself giving me a challenge whether it be my first 5km or my first marathon and then seeing if i can get quicker
    I love meeting new people at races, trying not to be overtaken in the home straight image
    Love going to different races some where you see regular people all the time encouraging new runners, ever stay behind after a race to cheer in the last runners
    Doing new things new distances i even love trying shorter distances, once i thought 5km was short enough once i thought 5km was long enough

• Options

think I'll have some toast to take me to the magic 1000 cals for the day... really fancy somethign sweet but my mind is saying NO PUGLET! image Near the end of Day 19, with the big weigh in tomorrow...

Pug image

• Options
    hi all. Done 24 miles today- cooking on gas!! weight coming down now- eventually. On hol this next week so hope to do mega mileage. hope all Ok. Molly XX
  • Options

Wow Molly - Well done

Well done Molly

am down to 9 st  6½lb (from 9-12 at the beginning of the year  so gradually its getting there

• Options

Blimey Mollster, awesome stuff, I've never ran further than 20 on my own and not in a race, so really, well done. bet you'll sleep tonight, make sure you get some orange juice and chicken or protein down you otnight big time... and stretch for 5-10 minutes tonight... make sure you don't seize up...

As for me, offical weigh in this morning, but dissapointed, however, 80.2kg, so on schedule, infact ahead of schedule by 0.3kg image 

Pug image

• Options

Post run diet was all planned. Went out for curry with friends! i hadnt sat down for more that 15 mins all afternoon - kept moving. but after our meal, I'd sat for 2 hours - struggled getting up form table!

Plan a  gentle jog today - on he flat as yesterdays run had an elevation of 990 feet!

• Options
    Just weighed myself, I'm now 3.8% below horwill's (see first page of the thread) sedentary weight estimation for my height! Not bad considering 6yrs ago i was 29.2% over! - Hence the name!
  • Options
    imageLardarse- that is brilliant weight loss. Very well done to you
  • Options

"I certainly don't enjoy going for a run though, never have"

That's disappointing to read. When I go to the beach for a run, it's like the ultimate escape. I put my mp3 player on and i'm free from all the worries/troubles of everday life. Mentally, it's like moving to a higher place, just for that short period. 

• Options
    Lardarse wrote (see)
    Pug, you don't look heavy, far from it. If, as far as this thread goes, your considered to be heavily built, then theres some serious body dismorphia going here! I would say you look normal, do you really wan't to look like a stick?

Have to agree there, and I think this is the problem with running, it encourages some very unhealthy approaches to weight.

I'm two and a half stones heavier than when I did my PB's, and I look and feel much better for it.

I wonder if some people would be willing to cut their willy and nutsack off if it was guaranteed to shave that all important 1% off their marathon time and get them a PB? 

• Options
    Looking at that picture, he just looks athletically built. Most sports unintentionally encourage some sort of body dysmorphia...
  • Options

Just been reading back ... Pug - are you really eating just 1000 calories a day and training for a marathon?

That does not sound like a good idea.

You must feel absolutely shattered all the time. 

• Options
    1,000 calories a day?! Good GOD man...
  • Options

You get used to it, yesterday and today infact was my first two "big days"... 2600 calroies each day, then again, yesterday was a 45 mile bike ride of nearly 3 hours, so...

Pug image

• Options

oh yeah, forgot to say, now I've had a blow out, back to the grindstone image

Having 2 wheetabix for breakie 250 cals, 2 vit tablets, 2 glucosamine, 2 cod liver oil tablets, then for dinner a large tin of soup... 250 cals then chicken or something for tea... the planis working as follows:

Any day I don't train, then 1000 calories maximum intake.

Any day I do train, I can't be more 1500 calories for the day...  i.e. if I do 10 mile run, eg burn off say 1200 cals, plus the 2000 for living, that's 3200 cals.. so I'll eat around 1500 cals... usually trying to be around 1500 calories down per day. It's not exact, but it's working... down from 88.6kg 21st December to 80.2kg on Saturday and only actually been dieting since 20th January! 20th January I was 13st 5lbs...

I know thjat by doing this I risk becoming injured, but beings as I'm always pulling my back out anyway I figure it can't be any worse. Don't worry, I'll stop when I'm 11st 7lbs... until then... I'll keep pushing. 

Pug image

• Options
    Would it not be better to just tweak your macros, but not drop calories? You could still achieve steady weight-loss, but without being on such a low-calorie diet...
  • Options

Don't want steady weight loss though, want fast weight loss image I'm not one for hanging around to be honest, the better and faster the weight loss, job done for London/Edinburgh...

Pug image

• Options

Jusy having a look back in again.

Had a bit of a disasterous couple of weeks diet wise !

However now back on track.

Starving at the moment,but...

• Options
    I've been on hols from work this last week and have done heaps of training (not quite added it up yet but will be over 60 miles by tomorrow i think) so i've not even tried to diet. Back to work Monday when the alcohol mid-week wil have to stop and the chocs no more! o dear!image
  • Options

Official weigh in today revealed 79.2kg...

Date Kilos
    01/01/08 87
    19/01/08 85.6
    20/01/08 85
    31/01/08 82
    01/02/08 81.8
    02/02/08 81.5
    03/02/08 81.1
    04/02/08 80.5
    05/02/08 80.2
    09/02/08 80.2
    16/02/08 79.2

Pug image

• Options
    How tall are you fella?
  • Options

What's with the tears?

I'm 5'9.5" ... and 70kg.. and i'm not exactly on the large side. I can't understand how you can think you're heavy for your height. 

• Options

Still no running now for 10 days... but done some bike work and this left leg now is 85% back to normal, so i think running will commence in ernst this week... flippin' calfs hey, who needs then hahaha... at some point I'll be able to get this lean mean body hahaha out the door and see the benefit of the weight loss... however, official weigh in this morning:

Official weigh in today... 77.4kg so... grand total of 23lbs lost since 18th December...

Date Kilos
    01/01/08 87
    19/01/08 85.6
    20/01/08 85
    31/01/08 82
    01/02/08 81.8
    02/02/08 81.5
    03/02/08 81.1
    04/02/08 80.5
    05/02/08 80.2
    09/02/08 80.2
    16/02/08 79.2
    23/02/08 77.4

Pug image

• Options

Well, it's official, come on... for the first time since University, which is 13 years ago now, I'm the lightest I've ever been and plus, I'm officially sub 12 stone..

18/12/08 87.9kg
    01/01/08 8
    7kg
    19/01/08
    85.6kg
    20/01/08
    85kg
    31/01/08
    82kg
    01/02/08
    81.8kg
    02/02/08
    81.5kg
    03/02/08
    81.1kg
    04/02/08
    80.5kg
    05/02/08
    80.2kg
    09/02/08
    80.2kg
    16/02/08
    79.2kg
    23/02/08
    77.4kg
    01/03/08
    78.3kg
    08/03/08
    77.1kg
    15/03/08
    75.7kg

So, 11st 12.5lbs this morning... 11.1% fat, 47% muscle and feeling good about myself... now if only I could run and test this new super thin frame and get rid of this tendon injury... but hey ho, can't have everything... so, basically another 5.5lbs to go on the weight loss, then I'll come off this stupid diet me thinks!

The one thing I'm taking form this is will power, it's amazing how much you have to think about everythign you eat to really trim down, it become obsessive. The things at work, people bringing in cakes and sweets everyday from work, it's rediculous with everyone just pigging out on them...

Anyhow, using my above weight loss... I've calculated the following...  from a PB from 18 months ago at a weigh to what if I got into the same shape I could be doing now( bear in mind the 13st 12lbs PB, I was only running 30 mile per weeks, so not exactly killing myself)

13st 12lbs

Actual Half Marathon PB1:24:50,

11st 12.5lbs (PB Predictions based on above and my spreadsheet)

5k Predicted = 16:09, 10k Predicted = 34:09, 10 mile Predicted = 57:07, Half Marathon Predicted = 1:14:56, 20 Mile Predicted = 1:56:47 and Marathon Predicted = 2:36:25

So, the plan is, to get down to 11st 7lbs, then come off the diet. Then, I'll do 12 weeks of training which is all I did for the 1:24:50 (13st 12lbs) PB 18 months ago and I'll see what and how close to these predicted times I do. 

Pug image

• Options

Hi pug, well done, great weight loss!

You remember you posted a pick of yourself in an event at 12st 10? Any chance of a comparison pic now? I recall you thought you looked heavy at the time.

Btw, playing devils advocate... Do you think that had you been eating more your tendon injury might heal quicker? Or even not have happened in the first instance?

• Options

Had the tendon trouble before started hitting the diet to be honest so no don't think it'd have made any difference. As for recovery, who knows, basically I've been out since February 11th anyway, and been eating loads of protein, multi vits and and Glocosomine, so infact I've probably eaten so much better than ever to be honest... I'm doubtful it'd have made any difference, but obviously I'm no nuitritionalist..

As for piccie, well hope to be racing the 12th April, so I'll be sure to show some comparison piccies... I'll actuially show the full set from 15 stone right the way down, all racing pictues just so people can see.

However this thread isn't really about me... it's about, do we get free performance, and the only way to see that is, see what I can do after 12 weeks of training again... so as soon as this injury clears I'll see if my predictions work!

Pug image

• Options

Yeah agreed this thread is all about preformance gains, i was just curious, thats all.

Since last november i've been looking after my diet more too, and have lost around 11kg (it fluctuates) and i've certainly seen a performance gain, if not in speed, then certainly in perceived effort. I would need to keep a constant training level, and lose weight in that time frame, in order to get an accurate picture. As it is, i don't know how much is weight related, and how much is due to upping the training?

But i look and feel better, not such a lardarse now!

• Options

Well matey, it's deffo a combo of both, but you'll find you'll be beating PB's left right and centre... so what did you weight and what do you weigh now?

Pug image

• Options

I weighed  85.9kg - 13st 7 - wed  14/11/07

sun  9/03/08  74.3kg - 11st 9lb ...but that was after a 22miler image

I'm not as tall as you (5' 10") and dont have your running pedigree, but yeah i hope to beat my marathon time this year.

First one, Dublin, was in 2006, 4hrs 17 @ 14.5st, second 4hrs 37 @ 13.5st (but i was injured before the race, and really thought i wouldn't make 5miles, went out for a suvival time).

So going with the first time and weight, to present weight + 1.5years training i'm hoping for 3.45ish? Did a 20mile race three weeks ago, 2hrs 45...completely fcuked! image