Options

Race shoes for marathon distance

I'm doing my first couple of marathons next year and I'm trying to decide what to wear

I run in Nike Mayflys upto 1/2 marathon but I think that's the absolute limit for them as my feet are hurting by the end of a 1/2.

I'm looking for something as close to the mayfly as possible but with a bit more cushioning to get me to the end without too much pain

FYI- 75kg, completely neutral, anticipated time of 2:45 to 2:55.  I tend to impact on the forefoot at race pace (but not always if I'm knackered)

Any ideas appreciated - the lighter the better

Comments

• Options
    WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    I'd suggest talking to someone knowledgeable in a running shop.
  • Options

Zoom Marathoner if you get on well with Nike. Quite protective for a racer but they are still light. This site may be useful: www.shoeguide.co.uk

I like the Idaten but wouldn't run a marathon in the, but nor woud I run a half in Mayfly image

• Options
    Nike Vaporfly? Lot more spongy than the Mayfly, got three pairs which I use for all my track work and road races!!
  • Options

if you like nike go for zoom marathoner for marathon, vaporfly for half marathon.

stick to 5-10k for mayfly thats all it was made for

we do stock all 3 models

• Options

Hey Captain Hook.. I trained for 16 weeks and ran the London Marathon in 2005 in Asics Gel Kayano 10's and trained and ran the 2006 Edinburgh & Loch Ness Marathon's in the same Asics GT2110's and not one blister nor problem throughout so I'd say highly recommended.

Click here for a guide to the correct shoe, http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/news/article.asp?UAN=481 I use it each time and if you are choosing Asics shoes, always go one size up so if you take a size 8 shoe, take size 9 in Asics.  Professional fitting is always best I suppose and you can try before you buy as well, whereas if you buy on-line you're stc with if they don't fit.

Let me know how you get on

• Options
    I ran 2:55:55 in Vaporfly, weighing 80kg with no problems.
  • Options

Hi Everyone,

You all sound like a very knowledgeable lot...

I've got a similar sort of question to Captain Hook really. I'm a mild overpronator, 65kg and I currently do almost all my running in Asics 2120s but am looking for something lighter for speed work and races except I think I would be looking at performance shoes rather than out and out racers.

I've used the RW Shoe finder tool but it comes up with a choice of 5 different shoes.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! image

• Options
    asics gel ds and nike zoom elite are 2 shoes worth looking at
  • Options

Thanks all - some really good info

I've got a pair of zoom elites which I use for fast training but don't feel as fast or light as I'd like for a proper race shoe. The Asics Gel DS look quite similar to the elites - are they compable?

Vaporfly and zoom marathoners were around the top of my list and what you have all said confirms that.  Time for some early Christmas presents to myself I think and then try them out in some 1/2s in the new year

• Options

I've raced in Vaporflys at all distances up to the marathon without any problems.

Got a pair of Marathoners too, but I've found them worse than useless. They force me to run so far forward on my feet that I get shin pain - a problem I also have if I run in Frees.

• Options

Thanks everyone, all good advice. I think, like Captain Hook I'll head down my local running shop an treat myself! image

As the Marathoners sound questionable and I don't think I'm ready for racers yet I'll check out the Asics Gel DS / Zoom Elite first I think.

• Options

Stuart, don't write off the Marathoners - my OH finds them absolutely fine but didn't like Vaporflys when he tried them.

DS Racers look excellent, as do Asics Hyper Speeds. I'm not tempted to try them, though, because I'm so comfortable in Vaporflys. The only time I wasn't quite secure in them was on a damp day when I was running on oily roads and underfoot conditions got a bit slippery. 

• Options

Stuart - The DS racers would probably suit you, as would the Hyper Speeds.  They are a slightly different shape, and the one that is most comfortable would be the one to go for.

There is more forefoot cushioning in the marathoners, but they are slightly narrower than the Asics.

Get your local shop to get some of all of them in, and try them on as a comparison

Cap'n Hook - I think the Vaporflys would suit best - VERY cushioned! 

• Options

Velociraptor / eL Bee - thankyou both for the advice!

I've always got on well with Asics so I think I will probably stick with them, which I guess means either the DS or the Hyper Speeds. Actually nipped out to my local running shop at lunch... they didn't have the Hyper Speeds but the DS's looked good, will shop around a bit and obviously try them out before buying but I think i'm getting closer!

Thanks again!

• Options

Just to let you know I ended up treating myself to an early xmas present on Saturday and picked up a pair of DS Racers!

Did the Thirsk 10miler on Sunday but didn't want to risk their first outing being a race, so tonights Interval session was my first time out in them.

So far so good, they felt great... long may it continue! image

• Options

I've was a nike wearer for my first year of running marathons, but after knee trouble, became an Asics man. Brooks are pretty good too, but not, in my opinion a patch on the Asics range.

I race in the DS racer VII, they really are awesome, light and soft as slippers to wear. Only last 2 marathons max. I use a Polar foot pod during training, and when I move to my racers near to the big day, I honestly run 2+km/h faster. Can't explain it, but they've got the science nailed I reckon.

See how you go...but get advice from an expert!!!

• Options

I bought a pair of Hyperspeed2 yesterday and tried them today in a 10k.

Can't fault them so far, seem like a really nice shoe. 

I'm a stone heavier now than when I did my marathon and the Hypers are lighter than Vapors but I would consider doing a marathon in them.

Although I did my last marathon in Vapors I don't really like them they have too much heel and wont be getting another pair. 

• Options
    I adore the Hyperspeed 2s.  I found they had more forefoot cushioning that the DS Racers and didn't have the stability control (which I don't need).  Also despite what a number of stores say they are lighter than the DS at 193g v's the DS at 203 (even though we are talking very small differences here).  A number of stores, including Start Fitness, have them at 251g which they definitely are not as I have weighed them.  I'm running the Bath Half Marathon on the 16th of March which will be the real test.
  • Options
    Anyone else got any recommendations? Thanks for that site Yellow. It looks useful. Has anyone got any views on whether the reviews are getting it right?
  • Options
    I loved the orginal Saucony Fast twich endurance, I used them up to an Ironman marathon, my feet did suffer in the race but it was 32deg c. In training upto 18miles they were fine. So would have been happy to try them out again in a mara. Now though the new one's don't fit me as well as the old 1's but if they did fit I would be happy with them. So in  word they might be worth a look.
  • Options
    DO you mean these ones? What's the problem with the fit?
  • Options

No sorry they are the latest model

These are the last  model I bought 

The later model seemed to be a bit wider than the first 1's and I have narrow feet.

• Options
    What do people think about wearing lighter shoes for the marathon? How do you know whether you should wear racers or lightweights or normal shoes?
  • Options
    I chose them as I got used to training in a light-ish shoe, then I bought some nornal it felt like I was runningin correction boots, so went back to the light-ish 1's. They have never caused me any injuries although I have had  a few injuries it has been down to my body and not the shoe. I'm quite easy on my runners even though I weigh in at 79kg and a neutral runner. Maybe if I wore a normal shoe I wouln't have had the issues in the im mara but my feet were the least of my worries.
  • Options
    Would you recommend trying lighter shoes to see how I get on? The site that had your shoes on had something where you could search for shoes depending on your weight. Is your weight the most important thing for how light your shoes should be?
  • Options

You lot are brave - very light shoes for the marathon!

Anything lighter than DS trainers and I would fall to bits. DS Trainer must be the perfect marathon shoe - although I did my only one in waveriders...

• Options

Emma, I'm not an oracle on this subject but I would have thought that is one of the major considerations. If you haven't had any issues with injuries caused by your runners and had to buy a pair of support runners, I think the only real way to tell is to try them in training and see how you go on without the extra cushioning. I like the feel of a light pair on my feet and when I did get a pair of weighter runners on my feet it felt restrictive.

• Options
    That's what i've moved on to since they seemed to change the width size of the fast twitch
  • Options

Simon - The DS trainer is what i've moved on to since they seemed to change the width size of the fast twitch. I love them to bits!

• Options
    Any other views on the DS Trainer? No updated review from RW here yet but I've seen this one