Options

Disabled and desperate

Comments

• Options
    GOSH, i felt PROUD - so very proud- so, Off we went to London - a taxi came to the hotel, and took us to the Imperial war musuem, there was all sorts of people there, Former London winners, ( Mike Stroud - SAS TV Doctor ),we were asked to move to the other side of the stage near the ramp, in case we were called up - i thought, STRANGE, why do that, if we've NOT won !! - anyway
    so we waited just slightly nervy, but patiently, as the awards were been presented one by one, i thought are we going home bridesmaids, or what- i noticed people kept looking at us and smiles of joy, Then came Mike Tomlinson, to present The Jane Tomlinson award for ( Heroes of Running ), i clutched myself, and Phil, i listened and just could'nt take it all in as i was simply on another planet- but then i heard something said which i thought, MY goodness - It's US

i screamed out - WE'VE Done it - WE've DONE it - i cried, and my heart thumped, i thought all the work was'nt for nothing after all

BUT NO London, - there where poeple there who where going to talk to David Bedford, but i made it clear, i'd written to a lot of people in London including mET police to say - were running FULL STOP

So, back to hotel we went, next morning, we thought, lets go to the marathon expo, so we did- we had about 3 hours there, it was good, some knew us, congratulated us etc - i spoke to Steve Seaton while i was there, He's been very supportive at /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif[/img]howGlossaryDefinition('RW');]RW
    So, off home we went - took us 3 bloody hours from Docklands to M40, then 2 hours home, we just got home and my mobile went, - it was Steve Seaton, - " Mick, good running news for you" David bedford has given permission for you and Phil to run London - It's a H& S Trial run, experimental run, to see if it can be done safely, we must not be inside 6 hours, we must stay within the back -- THANKYOU Steve i said !!

OH MY GOD - OH MY GOD - OH MY GOD

We've done it, we've done it

No time to mess about, we had to get back to London the following morning-

So, we did, arriving in London at around 4 pm, i had my instructions, we prepared everything meticulously, we had a meal and went to bed

We arrived at Greenwich Park - i was totally relaxed, i was the master, i was in charge, i felt PROUD

We got ready, people stopped us and said So pleased for you, even offiicals did - THEN i put on my Famous Mick n Phil VEST - gosh i felt good and proud - NO nerves NO nothing, just could'nt afford to mess this up

We were going to party, and i mean PARTY - and party and wave , dance and scream we did -

i knocked off the early miles, i got our food down us, and our fluid- this was it, we were running London, not watching, i was just extacticly happy, i must have been grinning like cat cat licking milk , the party was on- all i could here was

GO Mick n phil, go on marathon lads - go Mick n phil

i responded with Easy, easy, easy - i heard go Mick n phil - Go mick n phil- 26 miles of it, i never got tired once, i was in top form, i celebrated where we could, i acknowledged people that i knew

it was great to see FLANKER, he was just fantastic, i was in tears nearly all day, i screamed and partied all day, singing, shouting dancing
  • Options

BUT then, THE BIGGEST MOMENT of my life - MUDCHUTE, i saw it from 13 miles, before returning to it on 22 miles,- Oh my god, did they make me feal proud, human real - i can't describe it-

i put my hands to my ears to say " Louder, i Can't hear you " LMAO, we danced we jiggered around, no tired ness at all, FETCHES were in full vocal chorus, of EASY- EASY-- EASY , they made me feel SO PROUD, i creid when i went on, then i met people along route, they hugged me, they kissed me, they high 5'ved me,

Then i was heading for 22 miles, i was happy, i knew exactly what to expect, WE were there HEROES, gosh did we were feeling proud, then we arrived at FETCH 22, it was chaos, it was simply wonderful, i laughed, i shook hands, i had kissed, i partied, as we went along route, i felt even fresher, could have done it all again NO trouble, i was in TOP physical Form and Mentally bubbling - i meant hundreds of well wished on way to finish

I met georges dad and family at around 25 miles ? , that left me really feeling OH YES

We then rounded Big ben, from then on well, i waved my hat all most all the way in -the marathon was NO Problem , they roared us on to the finish line

H & S wise - from the back, ( There isn't one ) but i'll discuss that again

i have to thank everyone so much for making it ALL happen

you all turned our life around, out there running week after week, and at home on these forums, YOU have ALL done us so PROUD -

THANKYOU for making us your RUNNING HEROES and for getting us in London marathon - Thankyou for making my 50 th Birthday on the 1st June so , SO SPECIAL

i will never ever forget what you have all done - i am still very much emotionally tearful, my heart is pounding and my head is heavy writing this post

Dear Fellow RUNNERS - Bless you all so very much - you made our day happen - you made us PROUD,

just go out there and when you have a bad day, think, well, we've made a disabled lad and his dad happy, - go and get fit, feel mentally strong, - feel like i feel - because i'm going to be a PROUD 50 year old VET in a few days, made prouder by all of you

Thankyou and bless you all

Mick xxxxx
  • Options
    There - i proudly put it on your thread -with my deepest apologies for not sharing it with you before
  • Options

Thank you ... my little 'woe is me' thread is highly honoured  image

I could really see the pure joy in your faces in the all pics I've seen .. you both looked as fresh as early morning daisies image .. and you very rightly have every reason to be proud .. proud of all your personal efforts, accomplishments and dogged determination to keep life going as 'normally' as possible ..  

I doubt many others would have even considered the possibility of taking their son with them .. nor a son in wanting to be whizzed along so far and for so long ..  it's simply a magical 'team effort' .. so few people look 'outside the box' these days .. or are too selfish of their own time and energies to want (or indeed know how) to share their time with others ... image

I can wholeheartedly thak YOU both (and your wife of course) ... thank you for giving me the determination to push myself more (no pun intended) .. I really mean this when I say that joining Runners World was so inspiring .. so many lovely people .. giving so much support selflessly and with no hidden agenda .. it just proves the point you will never really know what you are capable of if you don't give it a go .. image

I really was at my wits end .. yet from advice and help I was given here In Runners World by yourself and so many others (you know who you all are .. thank you!) .. I really have made HUGE differences in my life ...  and I know there are more wonderful changes to come ..

Couldn't have done it without you lot though ... image

• Options

Do you want the phone number ???

or did you miss that in my mail

• Options

Awww, Mick, I've read your account at least 6 times, but I always get such a lift every time!! What a great day , what a great week, and best of all, you and Phil TOTALLY deserved it!!! Hope you're still basking in the glow.

Patootie, all the great things that are happening are things YOU have done! The rest of us are just your sincere and devoted cheering team. And there's a lot to cheer for here, too, as you said!

So what's next? Any more word of the possible new place yet??? The last photo you posted looked really lovely, so fingers crossed.....xxx

• Options

Patootie

i go along with what Mrs Chuggs says -

Patootie, all the great things that are happening are things YOU have done! The rest of us are just your sincere and devoted cheering team. And there's a lot to cheer for here, too, as you said!

• Options

Chuggs

thing is my blogs are just too sexy !!

Thnakyou Mrs Chuggy  for all your support - hoping Mr Chuggs and little Chuglets are ok image

• Options

Aww, Mick, you've always been just too sexy for your shirt, we all know it! Guess you'll just have to give in and gracefully agree to be a hero now image)))))))

• Options

I went to see two flats today .. one wasn't what I wanted .. and the other was very suitable .. lovely views .. nice and light and airy .. I am hoping that I will get it .. the warden really seemed to take to me .. and I was suitably enthusiastic .. my sister (here from Australia for a short stay) also really liked the flat and loved the location .. fingers crossed everyone that the flat will be mine .. image

Thank you Mick .. let me think about phoning  .. I am rather shy .. image

• Options

Patootie

what ever- but Dawn also has problems, many problems, she also finds it all very difficult

If you want our number, i'll mail you it privately - and just be you

if not ok, i understand,

Dawn isn't very good on here- and you see i'm quite different

i can talk on here all day - yet in public , say a group of people talking all intellectual - ( I'm Lost )

• Options

Awww, great posts people image

(((GROUP HUG))) for the thread and good luck with the flat Toots, when will they let you know? 

• Options

<races in to catch the Group Hug>

Patootie, I have EVERYTHING crossed for you to get that flat! It sounded really great (especially the views: having lived in the country for such a long time, it would be so nice if you didn't look out your window at a blank wall of the house next door). Like Screamy, I'm panting to know when you can expect to hear???

• Options

Been a whirlwind few days .. my sis came to stay .. we had some lovely chats .. then I had to take her to hospital as she became unwell .. (all ok now) .. driven 250 miles in 3 days .. got up early each day .. made extra meals .. washed a whole load of clothes for her and her hubby .. nothing too strenuous admittedly .. but on the go all the time .. image

Took her back to mums this afternoon .. got about a quarter of the way there .. thhen she realised she had left her wedding ring in my front room ... back we came .. and off again  .. so now I am absolutely cream crackered  ..  feet ache (that's a new one .. rarely on them long enough for them to ache image ) back sore .. arms feel like lead weights with all the driving ..

... eyelids drooping .. heads a bit 'swimmy' ... need my bed ... gets ready to turn off pooty ... and crawl into snuggly bed .. image

• Options

Oh, Patootie, I'm practically on the floor with exhaustion just READING that!!! That would be enough to exhaust anyone, and with the fibro on top of everything else, you must be shattered.

It does sound like a nice visit, though, and when people have come so far, you want to do as much with them as you possibly can.

I hope you have a VERY long sleep and an easy couple of days to give you time to recover!  xx

• Options

Yawn ... just got up ... slept like the proverbial log .. for an amazing 11 hours  image

.. 'course being in bed for so long has left me as stiff as a board hahahah ... I really did enjoy my sisters visit .. we went to look at my 'new' flat ... fingers crossed still .. or at least was able to show her all round the cheltered housing complex and Cherry Hinton village .. she loved it .. so I definitely know I was right to select this place as my future home .. my sis is very, very pernickity when it comes to new things and places .. if she loved it then it really does have all the right qualities for me .. that's made me feel much less 'fraught' over whether I am doing the right thing or not ..

If .. if I don't get this flat .. then I am quite content to just sit and wait for the next one to come up ..  because I know I have the perfect home just waiting for me sooner or later ..  image 

• Options

image  .. image .. image .. image .. image .. image .. image .. image ,, image

Well done everyone .. you can all uncross your fingers now .. image

Because ... I've just had a phone call from the housing people .. I have been offered the flat I went to look at yesterday in the sheltered housing complex .. it's an upper floor flat with lovely views over well tended gardens .. beautiful flowering trees and right next door is a very pretty 12C church .. the place is just outside of Cambridge .. just far enough out to be called a 'village' .. but still within the city council area .. and less than 2 miles from the actual centre of Cambridge .. it's a lovely flat .. more than spacious enough for one person .. but cosy at the same time .. lovely big windows to let the light flood in .. quite a bit of storage space .. but I will have to downsize of course .. and in any case I have far too much stuff .. so a radical sorting out is being done .. if I start out with just what I need I can try and stay uncluttered ..

I get the keys a week on Friday .. image

• Options

imagehurrah patootie!

(and of course hurrah to mick'n'philimage)

• Options

OH

MY

GOD!!!!

Patootie that's fantastic news, I'm thrilled for you imageimageimage

...and Micknphil, you made the homepage - woo hoo!

• Options

WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!! PATOOTIE'S GONNA HAVE HER NEW HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is FANTASTIC news, Patootie! And it's all worked out so perfectly ---with the earlier flat that you didn't get, you've had advance warning and have made lots of progress with the sorting and tidying. Your sister has seen it which is reassuring and warming from lots of angles. This place is close enough to the centre that you will be able to get back into the flow of life, but still has lovely views and a sense of light and space (so important when you've been living in the country for so long). This is just SO GOOD! And wow---next Friday isn't very far off, is it?!?

So when are you actually gonna move???

Mick: I saw you on the homepage 2 days ago, and shouted so loud I'm surprised you didn't hear me! It's a GREAT photo of the two of you, and there couldn't possibly be anyone more deserving of Jane's aware than you and Phil!!!

WHAT a lot of good news this morning, eh? It's a good day, for sure!!!

• Options

Thankyou everyone

Just too sexy image   image   image

• Options

wooohoooo Patootoe - that's fantastic news! imageimageimageimage

the flat sounds really perfect!

Hi Mick - that's a fab photo on the front page!

• Options

Yeh

we really look groovy don't we !!

that made my day i can tell you

• Options

Got to get the bathroom adaptation sorted before I move in .. image

So much to do .. so little time to do it in .. image

One step at a time though ... image

• Options
    BB ✭✭✭
    Hi I've not been around for a bit - great to return to such wonderful news - congratulations on your new home Patootieimageimage
  • Options
    as said when you first joined the RW forums patootie - small steps image
  • Options
    small steps grow into big steps
  • Options
    very wise words mick
  • Options

After another couple of days of sorting, sifting and piling things up .. I'm finally starting to see some empty gaps .. what seemed like an impossible task is actually starting to seem 'doable' .. image

It's at times like this that I wish I had a partner .. someone to help me out a bit .. heheh .. but that's hardly a reason for getting 'hitched up' is it .. I've always had to do things like this myself in the past .. 'me and Jack Jones' hahahahah .. so I shall do them again now .. and it's very satisfying when you finally get to the end of the job .. and can say .. I did it ..  image