Options

FLM Training: Sezz

Comments

• Options
    Good luck Sezz!  I'll be following you on this thread as I'm using the same schedule as you, so hoping for lots of tips!
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Thanks Souffle.

Rest day today though image

• Options

They gave you a rest day? The swines!! image

Hi Souffle!

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Happy New Year Everyone image

Right, starting intervals this week...

Week Two, Tuesday
    1M jog, then 2 x 1.5M (or 11-14 mins) fast, with 800m (5-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog

I'm not going out til later but wanted to ask a question about the pace of the 1.5m.  Obviously I'll be running near 14 mins than 11 mins but on the training paces attached to this schedule it states 3 lots of 'fast' and I'm not sure which 'fast'  pace I should be doing.  The fast 10k is 9:29 and the fast 5k is 9:04 then there's a fast above 5k at 8:46.   I want to do this schedule justice and push myself but obviously don't want to push myself so much that I get injured or over-train.

Any thoughts? 

• Options
    Sezz, I adjusted the schedule for 4:55 finish, and downloaded the training to my garmin. For today, it has the 1.5M fast set to between 10:11 and 10:31, which is around the 10k pace on the plan (10:21 in my case, where 5k pace is shown as 9:54), so it looks as though you should be aiming around 9:29 rather than either of the faster paces. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Thanks Diana, that's great.

I can't download the schedule as I only have a 101 at t.he moment.

Right, best get out there then.

• Options
    AndyAAndyA ✭✭✭

I went out this morning and did the two lots of 1.5m at about 8:40, which is about my 5k pace. I found it a bit of a struggle though so will be bit more cautious next time.

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Lordy, that was hard!

Not helped by my Garmin beeping a distance alert at me which i thought indicated the first 1.5m. So I slowed down then realised I'd only done a mile so had to speed up again.  The 5 minute jog recovery went by far too quickly and then I was off again.  Flippin Garmin beeped distance alert again which I though, hah I know this time it's a mile so only 0.5m to go.  On no, it was a mile from the last flippin mile.  Yes, I know, I know, I need to turn off the distance alert (if I can work it out)

First 1.5m in 14:19 and the second in 14:02. Not bad I s'pose.

Some wisecracks shouted that I was running slower than a Baywatch Babe running in slow motion down the beach!  ...... Stil, at least I was compared to a Baywatch Babe.

• Options
    Well done Sezz. I tried it too, but the trouble I found was that my garmin alternated between beeping for me to slow down, then speed up! I also misunderstood - it appeared to want the workout to be:
    1 mile steady
    1.5 miles fast
    0.5 miles recovery
    1.5 miles fast
    0.5 miles recovery (which I hadn't realised)
    THEN 1 mile steady
    I just assumed a recovery between the two fast sessions, then 1 mile at the end, so did less than the training partner session, but did the first 1.5 in 13:55, and the second in 14:27 (not very even pacing, but never mind). You did well with a negative split!
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

I only got a negative split because I wrongly slowed down in the first 1.5m.  

I must have read it wrong too Diana, because I also thought the recovery session was between the two 1.5 miles.  Once that was over I jogged home - mind you, that was over a mile.

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Week Two, Day Three
    4m in approx 45 mins

Flippin cold out there so I wrapped up warm, only to wish at 1m that I hadn't wrapped up quite so warm!   I paced this well and did 4:02m in 44:31 but was rather concerned about something rattling in my head!  I've got a slight problem with my neck at the moment and am going to the chiro tomorrow for an quick checkover - nothing that will stop me running, I know what it is and the chiro is well used to my long distance training by now.   Although I have a feeling she will say no running tomorrow but I'll update back here anyway.

• Options

Hi Sezz

Happy new year - you seem to have made an encouraging start.

I agree there isn't much difference between this and the faster schedules - slightly less runs but similar structure and speedwork.

The schedules are Garmin's and it isn't exactly as I would have done independently but I think they are sound but it is possible to make slight adaptations occasionally. 

Sorry for my belated entrance to the forum.

You can always e-mail me or call me if you have immediate queries you want answering.

Have your original questions been answered? 

I have every confidence you will run a great marathon.

I think a new Garmin is on its way to you.

steve

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Hi Steve!  Happy New Year.

I'm pleased with my runs so far too.   In fact Fat Face had said that the negativity had gone from my running which was good to hear.

I think the only thing I was unsure about was the speed of my runs.  If I find myself running faster that the suggested pace (on slow and steady runs), is this ok or not?  Will I risk overtraining and injury or should I stay with the suggested paces?

Can't wait to receive the new toy image 

• Options

Sezz

I think you should make a certain effort to run the paces as the training paces are there for a reason but use your judgement.

If  you go too fast you may be compromising a later run (ie speedwork or long run) where you need a faster pace or more energy and are too tired to achieve it and if you go too slow you may not be running at a pace that is going to do you much good in terms of preparing you for the marathon though all running is if some use.

And, there will be times when it is best to go slower if you are very tired or it is really hilly or very windy.

Also if you vary it a bit ie Sunday run 7 miles in 73 (if feeling great) or 82 (if feeling awful or running with slower runners) rather than the proscribed 75-80 mins then it won't make too much difference occasionally as long as you follow the majority of what is proscribed.

Hope this is of help.

steve

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Week Two, Day Four
    1m jog, 2m brisk (approx 18 mins), 1m jog

Thought  I'd get out before the snow starts!  I saw the chiro this morning and she got some rather horrendously loud crunches from my lower spine and clicks from my neck, but she was fine about me going running.  So off I went, wrapped up toasty warm with my old Garmin as I haven't had time to set my lovely shiney new one up yet. Can't wait to set that up and get going!! image

I wasn't exactly sure what pace to run the 2m at as obviously at 18 mins it suggests 9 mins which is very fast for me. But then on the pacing schedule it sets brisk at 9:54 for my marathon time, which is nearer 10 mins per mile.  Anyway, set off and aimed to run something around 9:30 but just as I was going to start my 2 miles, my Garmin's batteries ran out image

So, I ran what I thought was approximately 2 miles but think I ran the first approximate mile too fast and suffered on the second mile, feeling at one point quite sick.  And got a horrendous stitch on the 1m jog home.  Still, I'm pleased that I ran and even it wasn't quite 2 miles, I still did a brisk run.

How's everyone else doing?

• Options

Hi there Sezz.

I think I'm going to follow this schedule so will be following your progress with interest.   My own pb for half marathaon is 2.05 and 10K is 55.41.  I did my first marathon in Dublin in October in 5.00.28 so hoping to better that in London.

Glad you've got today's session out of the way I've still got it to look forward to when I get home. Just hope the snow stays of until I'm done!

Good job so far, keep it up.

S

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Hi Tubbyrunner, your PBs are almost the same as mine so will be interesting to hear how you get on during training and the race itself.

Steve, question on cross-training - would weight training be acceptable form of cross-training as I was thinking of doing a weights routine couple of times a week to complement my running. Would you recommend this?

• Options

Sezz

Just wanted to wish you the very best of luck with the training and the race.

• Options

Sezz

Cross training is fine - I think with the extra running you won't need very much on the legs but increasing your upper body strength can only make you stronger but be careful not to overdo it. start gradually and not too many reps.

Of course, Paula Radcliffe uses it and it doesn't seem to put too much muscle on her (mind you if you ran 140 miles a week....) and her strength over the second half of a marathon is discounting Athens, where there were reasons, as good as other marathoner in history.

Personally I  go to the gym 3-4 times a week and do fairly light weights covering arms, shoulders and back and I think it helps my running and I feel stronger on hills and while the gain may be neglible,  I feel it doesn't take away anything from my running (I do it as extra rather than instead of) and it makes a change.

If you have time, yes, it's a good idea.

• Options

Hi Sezz!

I'm following your training with interest, as I'm running the FLM as my first ever marathon and am following the same programme as you (though doing it a bit slower, as under 5 hours will make me happy!). It's great having others in the same boat and makes all the training a bit easier knowing others are doing the exact same as me. Saying that, New Year's rather threw my training schedule, so I'm a day behind. Hmm... running in the snow tomorrow should be an interesting experience!

Good luck with everything. Will be checking in regularly.

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Steve - thanks for your advice.  I'm going to start a small weights routine for upper body.

b_fusion  - thanks for your support, it does certainly make it mentally easier to know others are going through the same thing. I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Rest Day today.  Just as well as I'm quite achey from yesterday's effort and my right calf was very tight this morning. 

Btw, we had no snow whatsoever  - I was quite looking forward to running in the snow!

• Options

Morning Sezz

Missed my session yesterday, no snow our way but was feeling a bit off.  Snow today so did session on the old treadmill instead, never as much fun as running outside. Can't remember what's planned for tomorrow but will probably take it easy as a kind of half rest day before run on Sunday.

Woohoo keep it up now we can do this.

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Hi Tubby (you're not that tubby are you?)

I'm doing my long run of 7m tomorrow instead of Sunday as I'm going up to Liverpool and then onto the Lake District  for a week so no chance to run on Sunday really.  But rest assured I shall be sticking to the schedule all next week!

I'm now trying to set up my new Garmin.  Rather scarily, you will all be able to see details of training soon!

• Options

Hi Sezz,

Just seen this thread and realised you are doing the same schedule as me (this is my 3rd FLM in 4 years and I have similiar PB's to you) so thought I would say good luck too and look forward to checking in on your progress. It does help the motivation to see all the others in the same boat as me! I luckily have my wife running it with me this year too - having somone to run with has already helped massively (although she seems to be a bit fitter than me!!)

Training for me, although only the early stages, is going good so far - I have to say I have found the slow runs a bit tricky too. Feels a bit odd sometimes running at the slow paces my Garmin tells me to run at but realise the schedule writers know their stuff so want to stick to it as far as I can!

• Options

image Nothing that laying off chocolate, wine and ceam buns wouldn't shift!!  ha ha

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Morning guys and gals,

Week Two, Day Six
    7m in approx 75 - 80 minutes

As we're going up to the Lake District tomorrow, I decided to do my long run today before hiting the M6 to Liverpool.  This meant a very early start with the alarm ringing at 6.30am.  The cat made it very clear that she wasn't happy at being woken up!

I'm never entirely sure what to consume before longer runs but today I had a cup of coffee and a piece of buttery sweet fruit and nut flapjack from Tesco which on the whole did just the job so I think I shall be buying a box full of that (almost must rememer to try the flapjack recipe in the latest edtion of RW!).

When I left home it was dark, quiet and peaceful.  The first mile is all uphill and quite steep at one point and I must admit that I walked most of it.  In fact I think I've only ever run the whole way 3 or 4 times in the whole time I've been running.  At the top you can look back over London and see the lighter sky in the distance, which looked beautiful.  I haven't done this 7m loop in a long time and was amazed at some of the mansions that have been built along the posh road.  It's so posh (think some footy players live there) that they have a security patrol driving up and down so I felt quite safe!  At the end of this road is a long slow incline which I started to find quite tough.  I nearly walked again until I imagined all the supporters at mile 17 shouting at me - that did the trick and I ran all the way!!  Guys, if you don't know about supporting at mile 17 then check out this thread.

I still think I need to slow down a tad on the flat as I noticed when checking my Garmin a few times that my pace was below 11:00 which I think is a bit too fast for a slow run on this schedule. 

At mile 4 I had the most terrible stitch that was quite painful.  I read on the forum that a good way to get rid of a stitch is to breathe out sharply when you step down on the opposite side of your body to the stitch but this didn't seem to work for me this time.  It lasted for a about 5 minutes and all I could do was run through it - does anyone have any other tips for getting rid of a stitch?

By the time I got to mile 6 I had two thoughts going - one that I was nearly running out of steam and my legs felt very heavy but secondly that I was just about to complete the longest run I'd done in a long time and my confidence was definitely improving image

Unfortunately I can't give you my mile times as my Garmin hasn't recorded them!!  (Having a bit of difficulty setting up - not sure what I'm doing wrong but no doubt Fat Face can sort it out for me later image). 

However, overall time was 81 minutes for 7.07m.   OK I guess considering I walked at least half the first mile.

Right, off for a shower then I'm on holiday for a week. Don't worry though, I shall be doing all my runs but can't guarantee that I'll be posting as I don't know what internet access there will be.

Have a good weekend everyone.

• Options
    If the hill that Sezz mentions is the one I think it is, then yes, it is steep. It's the only place that I've ever run where you can get into max HR territory within 2 minutes of leaving the house whilst running at 3 mph.
  • Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Hurrah!  Garmin sorted.  I am now extremely tired after this morning's run and 3 hour drive up north image

• Options
    debbodebbo ✭✭✭

Just found this - well done on being picked Sezz!

Will you be at Helsby?  I've run the grand total of 12 miles since IM Florida so am not sure I'll make it round....!

• Options
    SezzSezz ✭✭✭

Hi Debbo.  How did you do in Florida?

I'm really not sure if I will run Helsby this year.  It's two weeks tomorrow and the furthest I've run so far is 7m today.  Next week is 8m.  So I shall see what Steve the marathon coach suggests?  

Fat Face is deffo running it so i'll be coming along anyway to support and what I might do, if I don't run the half, is once everyone has gone off, turn right out the car park and run 3m, turn round and come back again - by which time the winners will be coming back!!